[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really to bad we don't have a sticky here yet, this forum is FILLED with questions that are answered in this guide. I really want to help these people, but I don't want to keep answering the same questions over and over, and posting in so many threads with a link back here is starting to feel like spam.

So, please, if you found this guide helpful at all, take 30 seconds to go flag the guide and put "Please Sticky!" in the message.

Also, if you see any threads about reverse engineering, please direct them here. There is currently no search function, and with the forums moving as fast as they are, we are dropping off the front page pretty fast.

Worse, since we've covered so much already, new questions and comments are less frequent, and we aren't staying on the front page because of that. It's getting to the point where the only way to keep us up top is bump posts, or to allow the thread to fade into obscurity.

Neither option is acceptable to me, so we really need that sticky to come through soon.

The good news is, a google search for swtor reverse engineering guide returns this thread as #1 result. Unfortunately if you leave off the "guide" part, we're a little further down the page buried in the "Other results from SWTOR.com" subsection.

Thank you very much for the guide and this thread to share information.

I have a question about what can be Reverse Engineered. My husband is an Armsmech and can RE every weapon drop we find. My son is an Artifice and can RE every lightsaber we have found. I am a level 15 Scoundrel Armormech with a skill of 80 and can only RE a very few of the med/heavy drops that we get - maybe 5% or so. Is it just me, or is it this way for all Armormechs?

Several days ago I RE'd most of the things I got from Ord Mantell. The next day my husband gave me the armor he collected from there and I couldn't RE that batch. I have been able to RE everything that I have crafted myself that I have tried.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Captain Ayfa

Keep in mind that as an Armormech you will not be able to RE Jedi armor, as that is the domain of Synthweavers.

Edited by Slaign

Here is some information from another thread about biochem implants

Yes, Implants do have Blue and Epic recipes. They can also proc Augment slots for the exceptional crafts and have different variations of the Base thing you RE.

For Example: I RE'd a level 33 green augment of resolve a bunch of times and got:

+willpower

+crit

+power

+surge

(epic proc of this was those 4 with also +alacrity)

+willpower

+crit

+alacrity

+surge

+willpower

+crit

+defense

+accuracy

(epic proc from this was those 4 with also +power)

So yes, One recipe can turn into something excellent. You just have to RE them multiple times to see the other stats (usually the difference is Assassin vs Sorcerer stats)

Also: Those beautiful blue "flask" like recipes you proc for stims can be RE'd into Epic versions that are Bioanalysis ONLY flasks that are REUSABLE. (The same is said for the recipes like +power for 15 seconds, 3 minute cooldown). You basically get free trinkets of the stim and don't have to craft multiple blues.

hope that helped.

Here is some information from another thread about biochem implants

That's intriguing, but I'm afraid it's not really enough information to use in that format. I'd need to know what each item was called, it's quality level, and it's stats. I need to be able to see if it uses prefixes, and what stats it started with, where it gained new stats and under what conditions, etc.

Any biochem who thinks they can provide elaborate information on this would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, more detailed information will have to wait until I can get around to researching Biochem. Cybertech is next on my list, and Biochem after that.

If people feel that Cybertech is pretty well covered by the information already in the guide, I can bump up Biochem on my priority list. It would still be faster for others to report on their findings though.

I have doubts about the orange items and critical crafting ... without augment slot orange items are on par with best raid drops if mods carry set bonus. With augment slot they would be better.

Nice guide.

Perhaps, I have my doubts as well, but people pumping out enough orange crafted items to be sure seems to be rare and the only reports i have right now are a few people claiming to have critically crafted orange items.

While it may be true that critically crafted orange items might become better than raid gear with augment slots, it's also seems as if orange gear would be worse than crafted purples without them. That is unless it is balanced in such a way that in order for orange gear to be on par with critically crafted purples, it needs to be filled with all critically crafted mods. That would fit with the pattern of orange gear being able to be on par with other gear at a cost of vastly increased workload.

So I can see arguments for either way. Perhaps it would be best if I edited the guide to make sure it's clear we don't know for sure what the case is here. Thanks for your input.

Brilliant Guide - THank you.....Have a question please???

I am artificer 100ish.....I have noticed I can purchase Guardian Hilts/Force Wielder Hilts for commendation badges but dont have these as recipes I can make.....Is this correct? Can purchase the hilts with badges and RE to get the recipe??

Brilliant Guide - THank you.....Have a question please???

I am artificer 100ish.....I have noticed I can purchase Guardian Hilts/Force Wielder Hilts for commendation badges but dont have these as recipes I can make.....Is this correct? Can purchase the hilts with badges and RE to get the recipe??

As far as I know, the only things you can craft are those learned from a trainer, those directly reverse engineered from trained (and then again from those), and those learned from discovered patterns from missions.

Perhaps, I have my doubts as well, but people pumping out enough orange crafted items to be sure seems to be rare and the only reports i have right now are a few people claiming to have critically crafted orange items.

While it may be true that critically crafted orange items might become better than raid gear with augment slots, it's also seems as if orange gear would be worse than crafted purples without them. That is unless it is balanced in such a way that in order for orange gear to be on par with critically crafted purples, it needs to be filled with all critically crafted mods. That would fit with the pattern of orange gear being able to be on par with other gear at a cost of vastly increased workload.

So I can see arguments for either way. Perhaps it would be best if I edited the guide to make sure it's clear we don't know for sure what the case is here. Thanks for your input.

I actually wrote a ticket asking about the orange gear augment slots. So far the reply was that they are passing the information on to specialized team who will investigate ... dunno if they will give a clear answer on the matter, but looks like it's not common knowledge among GMs.

Edited by Repefe

For armstech, I have crafted 30ish 20-22 blue barrels and REed them all, yet 0 epic schematics from it. Wondering if it is bugged...

It may just be bad luck, I did about that many level 29 gloves and I FINALLY got the pattern. They I tried the belt the same level and got it second RE...

I'm a bit confused with where some of the numbers come from. For example my schematic will list a force power in the 90s but when I craft the item it will end up with 115. Does this have to do with my companion's artiface bonus or is there another mechanism at work? All the other numbers are consistant with the schematic, but this one changes.

I'm a bit confused with where some of the numbers come from. For example my schematic will list a force power in the 90s but when I craft the item it will end up with 115. Does this have to do with my companion's artiface bonus or is there another mechanism at work? All the other numbers are consistant with the schematic, but this one changes.

It's unclear if there was some last minute balancing for gear itemization and the tool tips were not updated to reflect the new numbers, or if there are ‘soft’ critical crafts that don’t give the prefixes but slightly increase attribute numbers.

Have you tried making multiple copies of the same piece to see if it is the same on all of them?

It's unclear if there was some last minute balancing for gear itemization and the tool tips were not updated to reflect the new numbers, or if there are ‘soft’ critical crafts that don’t give the prefixes but slightly increase attribute numbers.

Have you tried making multiple copies of the same piece to see if it is the same on all of them?

Yes, the number is always exactly the same for the item crafted, and is always higher.

Edited by Owsley

Yes, the number is always exactly the same for the item crafted, and is always higher.

Then there must have been some sort of post beta normalization of item levels and the tool text shown in the crafting windows were never updated to reflect to new numbers. Someone should probably make sure the devs look at making sure all the numbers match up on the next bug fix.

Hey folks, has anybody successfully RE'd any Cybertech space upgrades? I've got a couple dozen stacks of Mullinine that I have no more use for, and I was thinking about blowing some to see if any of the low-level prototype upgrades can be RE'd into artifacts for the new toons - but before I potentially throw away a few hundred thousand credits worth of product, figured I should ask first =p

Please don't recycle hearsay or rumor; I'm specifically looking for people who've done it themselves - and please provide exact item names of the finished products (if they exist). Thanks!

I'm so frustrated with reverse engineering. 400 Artificer and I have spent 100k on vender mats and reverse engineered over 500 items I crafted and I have 4 blue schematics to show for it.

I see so many reports like this that are so out of line with what what my experiences are, that I do have to wonder if there is some kind of obscure bug effecting some people. I've heard people say they've RE'd every item they made up to 200 skill and never gotten a RE schematic. I've heard people claim to RE 50-60 of the same item I know has RE schematics and not get them.

While I know that there is a factor of luck involved, I've considered myself unlucky to RE 10 or 12 items without getting a schematic. In fact, this entire guide came about from accidentally discovering that I could get more than one RE schematic from the same base item.

I don't have any very high level crafters, because I've honestly dumped so much time into this guide that I just haven't had much time for the actual game, so I don't know if it becomes more difficult at higher levels, or what.

Speaking of the time I (and a lot of you) have spent on this guide and the information within, unfortunately, we still don't have the thread stickied!! This is really starting to bother me. Dozens of questions that are asked in the forums every day are answered in the guide. I die a little inside every time I see another post asking "Can you RE a blue item to get a purple one?" LOL

I want to answer those posts, but that sort of question needs such a long answer to properly explain, and I've posted in so many threads to refer to the guide that it's starting to feel like spam.

Unfortunately, every day when I come back here to answer more questions and find new information, the guide has fallen to the second page, and most people don't look beyond the first page before posting a question.

So please, if anyone has any ideas on how to get us the attention of the mods without breaking any rules, please help us out by posting them, or just trying to do it. I know they must be busy with launch, but I really feel we have something valuable for the community here.

Thanks everyone, and sticky or not, lets keep on trucking to make this guide as good as it can be.

..... so I don't know if it becomes more difficult at higher levels, or what.

Shouldn't the formula be exponentially easier at higher levels?

It doesn't make sense for high level crafters harder to get higher schematics through RE, since their crafting level is higher; i.e. higher crafting levels = more proficient = Chance getting higher schematics should be easier!

It's just logic, isn't it?

E.g. In real life, you gained more experienced as you work longer on the job, and things become easier for you since you're more proficient at it?

WHERE'S THE DEV....! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edited by pangwl

*raises hand* I managed to get a few orange schems last night and was surprised when I crit an augment slot on one. :D I squeed so loud I scared my hubby!

So it is possible but it was the fourth or fifth crafting of the item when it crit. Whether it happens again, I dunno.