[Guide-Video] Shinarika 9 and Introduction to 23/1/17 and 13/28 "Arika" Hybrid

Xinika

Ive been toying with the 13/28 build and ive been enjoying it so far. Its an interesting playstyle combination.

I was deception specced from 1-50(ouch, that hurt) but with Deception getting no love anytime soon i wanted to mix up something else.

I hated the full Madness spec, and didnt want to regear towards tanking.

Im using this entirely in PVE, so im trying to get down a steady rotation. Any suggestions on rotation priority. I gather that Thrash in this setup is kind of my bread and butter, with a steady flow of shocks.

Im not raiding(yet), but am looking to get more into end game stuff with my Sin(i rushed him to 50 so i could unlock the race for my Watchman JK), and dont want to be too much of a waste of space.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great vid and spec ideas!

Just going to put this out here for a next thread post, if this is posted in an assassin forum, might I suggest changing specs to help the noobies understand it a bit better. Still, great work! Want to know how viable this spec will be after 1.3.....

Edited by Kalirs

Just going to put this out here for a next thread post, if this is posted in an assassin forum, might I suggest changing specs to help the noobies understand it a bit better. Still, great work! Want to know how viable this spec will be after 1.3.....

If you take a look at my video, I put up both the Sith Assassin and Jedi Shadow Torhead links. My toon is an assassin myself running the 23/1/17 spec.

1.3 will make both specs posted more viable due to the consistency behind them.

the 13/28 Arika has a couple of wasted talent points correct me if I am wrong, FiB giving the DoT damage boost (Force Supression) is a waste since no DoT is being used in the rotation and cannot be used without having the need to be casted .... Deception provides a lot more burst potential to this build ...

Sorry to be a thorn at ur side .... I really appreciate your effort in trying to be innovative .... but this is an obvious loop hole in your spec ....

the 13/28 Arika has a couple of wasted talent points correct me if I am wrong, FiB giving the DoT damage boost (Force Supression) is a waste since no DoT is being used in the rotation and cannot be used without having the need to be casted .... Deception provides a lot more burst potential to this build ...

Sorry to be a thorn at ur side .... I really appreciate your effort in trying to be innovative .... but this is an obvious loop hole in your spec ....

You can't get any higher in the tree without spending those points. It's worth it.

For a sin just about to hit 50 and trying out the 23/1/17 which pvp armor sets should I get. Survivor or stalkers? Mix them both? Any help in pvp gearing would be useful so I don't waste my early coms.

Thanks for any info

For a sin just about to hit 50 and trying out the 23/1/17 which pvp armor sets should I get. Survivor or stalkers? Mix them both? Any help in pvp gearing would be useful so I don't waste my early coms.

Thanks for any info

Power and Willpower are your key stats. I used this spec to level from around 30 upwards and it does do alot of damage. However, until you max your skill tree, things like Thrash, Shock and death field wont deal OTT damage unitl points are spent in those trees.

I was a fan of the 31/0/10 spec then switched to 7/34/0 which deals a huge amount of burst damage but has such poor armour so if someone just simply passes wind, I am dead! 23/1/17 is cool but I didnt spent the 2 points in the Whirlwind - no need, so used it in the first tree.

Thanks for any info

I run with full Stalker for the same build. What you'll want to do though is after you start collecting War Hero pieces, head to the Sith Warrior PVP vendor, and buy the Weaponmaster (Marauder) pieces that have Power enhancements on them, because you'll find that the Stalker pieces give too much crit as you go along. What I've been doing as I've gone along is I've found my crit was too high but power too low, so I did just that, replaced the crit enhancements on my Stalker piece with the Power one, then gave the Marauder pieces to Ashara.

I run with full Stalker for the same build. What you'll want to do though is after you start collecting War Hero pieces, head to the Sith Warrior PVP vendor, and buy the Weaponmaster (Marauder) pieces that have Power enhancements on them, because you'll find that the Stalker pieces give too much crit as you go along. What I've been doing as I've gone along is I've found my crit was too high but power too low, so I did just that, replaced the crit enhancements on my Stalker piece with the Power one, then gave the Marauder pieces to Ashara.

Power-stacking.

Mod: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/42438/war-hero-force-masters-boots

Enhancement: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/42195/war-hero-force-mystics-gloves

Happy farming!

With the 23/1/17 build

When leveling up .. where do you start to put your points?

KC or Balance??

Also when do you start to put the points?? Is it effective at lower levels say under 20?

Edited by AvdielZion

Having got bored of the 31/0/10 build in PvP, I parked my assassin to level up a few alts quite some time ago. Your video and breakdown intrigued me and made we want to pull her out again. Because I was bored of the "tankassin" spec I tried the 13/28 build as I felt it to be furthest from what I had played. I have played the spec over the last 2 nights (~20 or so WZs) and found it to be intriguing but very frustrating at the same time. She is only wearing 4 pieces of BM stalker gear, the BM saber and then recruit gear in remaining slots. I find my damage output, although greater then tankassin, is lacking for the amount of survivability I am giving up. Now clearly, my gear is nowhere near the quality of yours.

My question is this, given the gear I have is this build viable, or should I wait until I fill out in more BM? And, is the 23/1/17 build as gear dependent? I will more then likely give it a shot and see how I like it, I was just looking for your opinion being that you have significantly more knowledge on the class then I do. Should I just go 31/0/10 and grind out the gear and then try out the different specs?

Thanks

I've been trying out the 23/1/17 for the last couple of weeks. My impression so far is simple

23/1/17: with my guildies in a premade, this is the hands down the best spec to use. Death Ward and Instant Whirlwind are too invaluable when it comes to protecting/defending nodes.

31/0/10 (I actually run 30/1/10): Best when hitting that solo Q and you get to enjoy all the puggles. it's a much, much better 1v1 spec.

I've been trying out the 23/1/17 for the last couple of weeks. My impression so far is simple

23/1/17: with my guildies in a premade, this is the hands down the best spec to use. Death Ward and Instant Whirlwind are too invaluable when it comes to protecting/defending nodes.

31/0/10 (I actually run 30/1/10): Best when hitting that solo Q and you get to enjoy all the puggles. it's a much, much better 1v1 spec.

I'm curious about this sentiment, and I'm wondering where the Idea that this 23/1/17 spec is better than 31/0/10 comes from.

I'm a consular newly turned to the dark side \o/ . I'm leveling a new assassin and I cant see why I would ever go 23/1/17.

Death field is less damage than Wither, and you get even more aoe damage out of discharge. So 31/0/10 seems to deal more damage. Death field also cannot compare to the healing you get from harnessed darkness and so survivability is another plus in 31/0/10 direction. and of course there is the added bonus of being able to swap gear and be a full fledged tank in pve.

The 23/1/17 build has a slight bit more control every minute, but I personally find that while containment is not exactly the best talent ever but Its not bad at all. But I cant see much justification in losing everything else just so you can instant cast CC.

Is that the only reason people like 23/1/17 or am I missing something?

I have a hard time seeing doublestrike getting 50% more crit damage catching up with the extra DPS you would get from putting those extra points into Darkness. I understand the desire for more control / damage at the loss of survivability. Having dipped into some deep madness builds myself and loving them 7/3/31 being one of my favorites. I'm just not seeing why you would give up so much for so little.

someone please enlighten me.

oh yea and Go sith!

With the 23/1/17 build

When leveling up .. where do you start to put your points?

KC or Balance??

Also when do you start to put the points?? Is it effective at lower levels say under 20?

Go one tree or the other to start off. Either go full tank at the beginning, or full DPS. This hybrid is only beneficial once you're about to ding 50 and have a lot of ability points to work with. Neither tree starts to come into it's own until probably late 30's (especially Darkness). You'd hurt yourself more than help if you try to go full on hybrid while levelling. Maybe try levelling as a madness Sin to get a feel for the use of deathfield, and once you do, respec into darkness to see how well the utilities from that tree work out for you. Once you're in your mid 40's, try out this spec in WZs. Originally as a 31/x/x spec, it took me a little while to get used to using deathfield with it's target indicator. Now I'm used to it and it's a breeze.

I'm curious about this sentiment, and I'm wondering where the Idea that this 23/1/17 spec is better than 31/0/10 comes from.

I'm a consular newly turned to the dark side \o/ . I'm leveling a new assassin and I cant see why I would ever go 23/1/17.

Death field is less damage than Wither, and you get even more aoe damage out of discharge. So 31/0/10 seems to deal more damage. Death field also cannot compare to the healing you get from harnessed darkness and so survivability is another plus in 31/0/10 direction. and of course there is the added bonus of being able to swap gear and be a full fledged tank in pve.

The 23/1/17 build has a slight bit more control every minute, but I personally find that while containment is not exactly the best talent ever but Its not bad at all. But I cant see much justification in losing everything else just so you can instant cast CC.

I have a hard time seeing doublestrike getting 50% more crit damage catching up with the extra DPS you would get from putting those extra points into Darkness. I understand the desire for more control / damage at the loss of survivability. Having dipped into some deep madness builds myself and loving them 7/3/31 being one of my favorites. I'm just not seeing why you would give up so much for so little.

oh yea and Go sith!

For me, it has a lot to do with standing still. In 31/x/x you rely on HD + FL to both do damage and heal yourself. People know this and will try to stop you from recuping. Burst comes from Reck + energize + shock which isn't always enough.

In 23/1/17 you get to keep the best survivability talents only losing HD. You don't really miss HD though since you get a little life back from DF but you are no longer standing still casting FL praying no one notices the GIANT lighting coming from your finger tips. This build allows you to be moblie and avoid damage better than the tank spec as well as provide 30m damaging capability (great for defending). I'm also having an easier time finishing people off since the burst is more on demand. I'm thrashing their life down then I can pop reck then cast DF -> shock (relic + adrenals) for some nice crit damage with no wind up. You don't know how many times I've lost kills to being CC'd while in force lightning.

To sum up; I don't miss Force Lightning at all as it is a blessing and a curse in pvp.. Instant whirlwind / Improved thrash / DF more than make up for it.

For me, it has a lot to do with standing still. In 31/x/x you rely on HD + FL to both do damage and heal yourself. People know this and will try to stop you from recuping. Burst comes from Reck + energize + shock which isn't always enough.

In 23/1/17 you get to keep the best survivability talents only losing HD. You don't really miss HD though since you get a little life back from DF but you are no longer standing still casting FL praying no one notices the GIANT lighting coming from your finger tips. This build allows you to be moblie and avoid damage better than the tank spec as well as provide 30m damaging capability (great for defending). I'm also having an easier time finishing people off since the burst is more on demand. I'm thrashing their life down then I can pop reck then cast DF -> shock (relic + adrenals) for some nice crit damage with no wind up. You don't know how many times I've lost kills to being CC'd while in force lightning.

To sum up; I don't miss Force Lightning at all as it is a blessing and a curse in pvp.. Instant whirlwind / Improved thrash / DF more than make up for it.

Nail...Head...meet Hammer! :) Couldn't have said it better myself. Granted, you do get more healing out of Force Lightning with HD, but it can be LOS'd, interrupted, and cc'd. When I duel my guildies that run the common 31/x/x spec, that FL+HD is their bread and butter. If they Relic+Adrenal+Reck a FL with HD and I do Electrocute, and stun, you just wasted all that healing and burst damage that it took time to setup, and now you're standing still while I'm unleashing a Relic+Adr+Energize+Rec+ DF+Chain shock on you. 23/1/17 is all about mobility, and unpredictable DPS

oh yea and Go sith!

I don't need a wall of text to explain it, because it can be said in one word.

Utility

Death Field's 30m range has saved more doors/nodes than I can remember and INSTANT whirlwind is popped on healers all the time. Also, given the nerf bat, the healing from DF will be beneficial as well.

However, if you're really worried about seeing a high damage (I track # of wins as my main stat :) , I honestly haven't seen a big drop in damage output. I pop recklessness and see 3300 ticks from DF on three targets.

If you're really interested, I just downloaded Fraps and I can do different WZ to let you see the difference from start to finish.

Im a 31/1/9 Tankasin that plays mostly a tank style. In light of the coming changes in 1.3, Im looking at other potential builds. Im comfortable with my build as is, but Im not sure its going to be so great in 1.3. Especially since I mostly have DPS gear. I think 23/1/17 may be the "alternate build" Im looking for. I think Im going to try it for a few days and see how it goes.

That being said, any tips for how to play the 23/1/17, and how does the playstyle differ in practice from 31/1/9 Wither spec?

I don't need a wall of text to explain it, because it can be said in one word.

Utility

Death Field's 30m range has saved more doors/nodes than I can remember and INSTANT whirlwind is popped on healers all the time. Also, given the nerf bat, the healing from DF will be beneficial as well.

However, if you're really worried about seeing a high damage (I track # of wins as my main stat :) , I honestly haven't seen a big drop in damage output. I pop recklessness and see 3300 ticks from DF on three targets.

If you're really interested, I just downloaded Fraps and I can do different WZ to let you see the difference from start to finish.

I feel that the OP has done a pretty good job of displaying the build (TY OP) I just have hang ups on losing a substantial amount of damage and defensiveness for slightly more control and a lot more mobility. With a group at your back, someone tossing you heals, guarding you, or helping you put out the pain. I can definitely see the draw to that extra utility, but as a solo queue type of guy I think that a more full Madness or a more full Darkness is definitely going to give me the most bang for my buck. If I ever get a partner to queue with I will take 23/??/?? for a spin. but I think I will stick to 31/??/?? for the time being.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Been helpful

Im a 31/1/9 Tankasin that plays mostly a tank style. In light of the coming changes in 1.3, Im looking at other potential builds. Im comfortable with my build as is, but Im not sure its going to be so great in 1.3. Especially since I mostly have DPS gear. I think 23/1/17 may be the "alternate build" Im looking for. I think Im going to try it for a few days and see how it goes.

That being said, any tips for how to play the 23/1/17, and how does the playstyle differ in practice from 31/1/9 Wither spec?

It's probably easier to play once you get the hand of it to be honest. You don't have to rely on your lightning anymore. Thrash becomes more of a priority and Death Field should be used on every GCD. Best way to learn is to get in there and try it yourself.

I tried it for a few games last night and I do see the potential here. I can see this as being more of a damage and utility role as well as being able to off-tank in 1.3, as opposed to a full tank role with 31 points in madness in pre-1.3.

What Im now wondering about is Whirlwind - when and how should I use it? Its kind of a question mark for me right now, its an extra tool but I dont know how to use it really.

I tried it for a few games last night and I do see the potential here. I can see this as being more of a damage and utility role as well as being able to off-tank in 1.3, as opposed to a full tank role with 31 points in madness in pre-1.3.

What Im now wondering about is Whirlwind - when and how should I use it? Its kind of a question mark for me right now, its an extra tool but I dont know how to use it really.

Its funny. When I first did this build, I didnt put points in whirlwind - didnt see a reason. Then, I reset my skills and erm, gave it a 'whirl' ;)

Boy it helps. Especially if you are defending a node alone or if your enemy have a strong healer - you can cast instant whirlwind taking them out until help arrives or while you take on someone else. Its a HUGE benefit. Shadows use force lift, and casting that instantly can be a real game changer when capping, especially if your unbreakable will is on cool down.