[Guide-Video] Shinarika 9 and Introduction to 23/1/17 and 13/28 "Arika" Hybrid

Xinika

Am I missing something, or do the points in the force suppression/sharpened mind abilities not become wasted? What kind of DoT's are we using as this class? Assuming we're in the 13/28 build here as well.

EDIT: Or are they just fillers?

Edited by Simmerr

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, stickied now, congrats!

I have to say that so far in 1.3, the 23/1/17 has fared very well for me. The difference in armor ( -15% overall for me) isnt really that noticeable for me. Part of it is the mentality you play with, perhaps its best not to think of yourself as a full tank anymore but as more of an "off tank" or a tank-DPS hybrid.

Its funny. When I first did this build, I didnt put points in whirlwind - didnt see a reason. Then, I reset my skills and erm, gave it a 'whirl' ;)

Boy it helps. Especially if you are defending a node alone or if your enemy has a strong healer - you can cast instant whirlwind taking them out until help arrives or while you take on someone else. Its a HUGE benefit. Shadows use force lift, and casting that instantly can be a real game changer when capping, especially if your unbreakable will is on cool down.

Funny to see this stickied now... agree entirely, am so glad i traded harnessed darkness for whirlwind, the 4th cc option is huge, you almost never run out.

On another note, I'd take this as a sign from bw that this is how darkness assassins are meant to be played in pvp.

The Assassin class has always been a fun class to play. Its not really a 'one trick pony' and requires some thought and skill to play.

This excellent thread highlights just how good and viable the class still is. Im going to post a 1.3 video later today. Now I am not fully geared in WH stuff and I still have stuff from pre 1.2(thanks Bioware) when I couldnt login to remove my old mods etc but still managing to finish top alot of the time in my matches and deal some decent damage.

Once I am up to full spec, I am almost certain that the damage dealt will send the republic running to their healers.

Ooh, stickied now, congrats!

I have to say that so far in 1.3, the 23/1/17 has fared very well for me. The difference in armor ( -15% overall for me) isnt really that noticeable for me. Part of it is the mentality you play with, perhaps its best not to think of yourself as a full tank anymore but as more of an "off tank" or a tank-DPS hybrid.

Ding...We were never meant to be a TANK! DPS and off tank is our best role, I have the same build and didnt notice a big drop. The problem ismost people dont want to play tank, what they want is huge dps and tank survivability...sexier to most. Ive played tank, you are meant to take damage and survive not be the hero of the day.

what I like better with Wither vrs death field is that wither doesn't need to be "aimed". you tab a person and cast it and he is the center of the AoE. Aiming deathfield and moving around at the same time is very hard for me to do, for reasons, which I have explained before, I play with 1 hand and I think I do remarkably well, considering. But this death field thing and the ball in hutt ball is a pain for me.

now before you say "it's an aoe, you should cast it where ever you want", remember that so is Wither and it casts on whom ever you are targeting and X meters around said target.

I noticed you kept the Matrix Cube instead of the new pvp relics. Do you feel this is the better/stronger choice? I usually try to emulate your gear choices, so I'm curious.

Edit: Armoury was just updated.

Edited by Xinika

I know you can get the Armoring 27 from Cybertech, but where do you get the schematic to be able to make it?

For that matter, where do you get any of these schematics?

Lastly, is getting Dark Ward (The 8 stack thing that increases shield chance) worth getting in the 23/1/17 spec? For a single point it almost seems worth it, considering you get a little extra defense against a Marauder/Sniper/Sentinel/Gunslinger. On top of that, it's cost is low and it pays for itself in force (due to shielding giving 2% force).

Edited by Spiderbubble

I know you can get the Armoring 27 from Cybertech, but where do you get the schematic to be able to make it?

For that matter, where do you get any of these schematics?

Lastly, is getting Dark Ward (The 8 stack thing that increases shield chance) worth getting in the 23/1/17 spec? For a single point it almost seems worth it, considering you get a little extra defense against a Marauder/Sniper/Sentinel/Gunslinger. On top of that, it's cost is low and it pays for itself in force (due to shielding giving 2% force).

Dark Ward is useless if you're not using a shield, which if you're running these specs, you're gearing DPS and using a focus, so Dark Ward is a wasted point.

Also, I'm also looking for the Resolve Armoring 27 schematic. Haven't seen it on the GTN, or anyone selling them, so.....I dunno

I may as well ask about augments... I see you are using about half will/end and half power/end.

I keep getting different answers as to which of the two augments are better to use... Ive even heard 18end/12power for the HP boost. Im leaning towards 18will/12end, is this the right choice, or at least to start with?

You are correct on the boots for the Adept Mod...the enhancements come from Force Mystic Gloves and some other items such as eliminator's boots...2000 a pop...in other words, it's going to take quite a bit of time to completely optimize gear for power....UNLESS ranked warzones come out and they give the same amount of RATED commendations per game that unranked warzones give now of regular commendations.

TLDR: Shinarika plays a LOT! :)

Shinarika, thanks for all the information. Btw, I wonder.. If you get, say 6 pieces of war-hero, modified by enhancements and adept mods, it means in average 6*3*2000 ranked commendations = 36000 ranked commendations = 118000 wz commendations. Obviously you did not play in ranked wz before 1.3, so that's way to get those or to purchase. Aside from purchase and taken 1 wz fight is ave 2000 valor and 100 commendations, you need to play .. eh 1180 fights. Between 60 and 70 valor level is around 54000 valor, i.e. 27 fights per level. What is the trick.

So what if you got Dark Ward + A Shield instead of the focus?

Still gimping yourself as DPS gear has no shield chance or absorption, so running with a shield without having Tank stats, your shield generator won't do anything for you. It already doesn't block about 50% of the damage you currently take, so being able to stop even less of 50% isn't worth it.

Still gimping yourself as DPS gear has no shield chance or absorption, so running with a shield without having Tank stats, your shield generator won't do anything for you. It already doesn't block about 50% of the damage you currently take, so being able to stop even less of 50% isn't worth it.

You may be gimping your DPS, but even without speccing or gearing for Shield/Absorption, you will still achieve 20% shield chance, and 24% absorption (even without Dark/Shield Ward) just by having a Shield equipped over a Focus (with Dark Charge active).

One thing you can't forget is that staying alive longer = more overall damage, so you have to decide whether the Shielding and Absorption bonuses outweigh the DPS gain from DPS stats.

This is the way I see it:

As for Defense, I can be attacked by all 8 opponents (or more, if in Ilum) simultaneously. 20% Shielding and 24% Absorption will benefit me whether I'm being attacked by 1 person or by all 8 at the same time. With the close quarters of the Warzones, I can be attacked from any direction at any given time, which makes defense more of a passive bonus.

As for Offense, all players are limited by the mechanics of the cooldown system, and by positioning. We can only attack so many opponents at the same time, we must be in range of them, and we must also see them, to an extent. So in a sense, all DPS is limited to a certain extent, based on the situation. Furthermore, if you are gearing DPS, you very likely are close to hitting your diminishing returns for such DPS stats, which means that the DPS gain from no focus to having a focus (i.e. 1200 DPS to 1250 DPS) is likely not going to be as big of a benefit as you'd receive going from no shield (0% shielding/absorption) to having a shield (20% shielding + 24% absorption), even with the very limited usefulness of Shielding and Absorption in PvP.

That's how I see it, at least.

Edited by olagaton

I'm a huge enthusiastic of deception-assasins/infiltration-shadows, but the fact that it's simply not as powerful as I want it to be, made me try several skills...

upon finding this article, I was stoked :)

but seriously... one question... how do you place Death Field/FiB so damn fast on the ground that no area-marker is seen in the vids (no republican symbol never :D)... that's my only issue with death field/FiB ... I do like the build and I certainly will keep that one :)

noticed, that you've got FiB on your "auto-attack" .. using right-/lefclick combination?

Edited by sinnFeiN

I'm a huge enthusiastic of deception-assasins/infiltration-shadows, but the fact that it's simply not as powerful as I want it to be, made me try several skills...

upon finding this article, I was stoked :)

but seriously... one question... how do you place Death Field/FiB so damn fast on the ground that no area-marker is seen in the vids (no republican symbol never :D)... that's my only issue with death field/FiB ... I do like the build and I certainly will keep that one :)

noticed, that you've got FiB on your "auto-attack" .. using right-/lefclick combination?

You put it down really really fast. Sometimes when I cast Death Field, and I cast right on top of me, the target reticle doesn't have time to draw out on screen, and you just get the animation for Death Field.

You put it down really really fast. Sometimes when I cast Death Field, and I cast right on top of me, the target reticle doesn't have time to draw out on screen, and you just get the animation for Death Field.

kay, thx

trying to get used to the build :)

but it looks fine in pvp :)

Question...in the 23/1/17 Darkness/Madness build, is there any interest in the pve stalker shell for the +15% thrash crit for Claws of Decay? or is stalker pvp set bonus better? any advise would be appreciated. Edited by Trevormortis

Question...in the 23/1/17 Darkness/Madness build, is there any interest in the pve stalker shell for the +15% thrash crit for Claws of Decay? or is stalker pvp set bonus better? any advise would be appreciated.

Stalker 4 set bonus. An extra charge of recklessness is always welcome. Guaranteed crits

Stalker 4 set bonus. An extra charge of recklessness is always welcome. Guaranteed crits

If you are running the darkness/madness hybrid, the pve set bonus is significantly better. You already have a lot of guaranteed crits via your energize proc and your bread and butter is your thrash.

If you are running the darkness/madness hybrid, the pve set bonus is significantly better. You already have a lot of guaranteed crits via your energize proc and your bread and butter is your thrash.

The loss of expertise is too significant, though.