I hate Kaliyo.

Path-x

Well as a companion she is helpful in combat of course (as any other). It is her repulsive character I was talking about. To me she is just the most annoying companion in the game. She is the most unsuitable companion for an Agent. Although she might suit BH better I still don't think I would stand her as a BH either because she is just generally extremely annoying.

You mean she's unsuitable for YOU. She's perfectly suitable for my agent.

It's like someone saying apples are the most unsuitable food for the human race because they don't like them. :rolleyes: Of beef, if you're a vegetarian.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean she's unsuitable for YOU. She's perfectly suitable for my agent.

Well I stated why she is generally (based on the qualities agents require from their operatives) unsuitable for an agent in my original post, second paragraph. I wasn't saying she is unsuitable for every individual agent player. Everyone has its own taste and this is just a game. I guess you like her but I highly doubt you would rely and work with someone like her if you were a real life agent. If you made that kind of decisions you probably wouldn't last long.

And yes, besides being generally unsuitable for an agent, I also personally dislike her.

Edited by Path-x

I'm a full LS agent and i don't have a problem with Kaliyo. She's funny as hell, she's street wise, underground connections, troubled childhood, all in all a complex character. My agent isn't loyal to the empire per se, he's more like the boyscout that tries to save as many innocent lives as he can.

Her betrayals aren't groundbreaking, she usually just wants to make an extra credit, not to kill you. She is murderous, but don't forget she grew up on Rattatak where she had to put up with violence from the get go, or die. She's far less insidious than other companions in the game and pretty much all the time is straight up, in your face with the truth, no matter how inconvenient. She's not loyal to anyone because nobody was loyal to her, from the streets of Rattatak she went on to a pirate ship and from there on was just underground work. She does have her measure of honor and loyalty, but it's not to the typical stuff. She fits because Keeper is on your side in a way, and he wants you to have a "free" asset, especially because she can't be controlled. For me, she's kind of a female Boba Fett/Canderous Ordo. Mandalorians of old lived only for battle, that was their idea of entertainment. If you remember Ordo from KotoR, when he speaks of charging the lines on a war basilisk, it doesn't seem very different from Kaliyo, after all, Ordo didn't care much for civilians either, he just wanted a fight. So does Kaliyo.

But Temple is also a good character, she doesn't kill her father because of her loyalty to the Empire, it's more like the other way around, she kills him because the imps were already on the way to get him, so she spares him the torture and interrogations so typical to imperials. To help him escape would mean compromising the empire and helping the enemy, while the old man would still live in fear of getting caught 24/7. It was a tough decision, but i got it.

Scorpio's loyalty came from her realization that i can be of help to her as much as she can be of help to me. While she also has an abstract mind, her "cruelty" comes from her perceived superiority as opposed to Kaliyo's troubled past, so it doesn't feel like scorpio = robo-kaliyo.

I haven't finished the whole story yet, but i finished all companion questlines and convos, and so far i am quite satisfied with the story and companions, i think it's much better than other classes' story.

Oh and speaking of companions that make no sense, Kaliyo makes a lot more sense than Lord Scourge -- really, the guy that betrayed Revan and killed the Exile gets to hang out with the hero of Tython ? Get out.

Edited by maestruljedi

Everyone has its own taste and this is just a game. I guess you like her but I highly doubt you would rely and work with someone like her if you were a real life agent. If you made that kind of decisions you probably wouldn't last long.

Hard to say b/c I have no idea what it's like to be a 'real life' agent.

Regardless if it's "realistic" to have her on board (there's plenty of other unrealistic things in the game), I think her character does wonders for the narrative.

Well I stated why she is generally (based on the qualities agents require from their operatives) unsuitable for an agent in my original post, second paragraph. I wasn't saying she is unsuitable for every individual agent player. Everyone has its own taste and this is just a game. I guess you like her but I highly doubt you would rely and work with someone like her if you were a real life agent. If you made that kind of decisions you probably wouldn't last long.

Well, are you a real life Agent? Do you know one? I'm guessing no. :p

Besides that, does anything about this game make you think it's meant to be looked at like anything other than the zany and idealized world that Star Wars encompasses? The writers didn't write this story and the characters to reflect real life (LOL), it's highly influenced by a wealth of spy fiction and other stories, including their own (I'd say Kaliyo was probably most influenced by Jack in Mass Effect), in which the violent, gun-touting, mostly untrustworthy lady sidekick is a staple. It's even in Star Wars novels. Based on that, she's quite suitable for the agent.

Regardless if it's "realistic" to have her on board (there's plenty of other unrealistic things in the game), I think her character does wonders for the narrative.

Exactly. I want a fun story. Stories are boring without conflict. You might wonder why Mal doesn't shoot Jayne Cobb after what he does, but you're really glad he doesn't because the ship would be boring without him.

Edited by chuixupu

Kaliyo isn't the only companion who clashes with the typical image of the class they're allied with.

Here's two more examples.

The Sith Warrior gets Vette. The Sith Warrior is supposed to be ruthless and loyal to the Empire (even more loyal than the agent). But Vette is a sassy, back-talking slave who rejects authority and is kind towards enemies.

And the Jedi Consular gets Qyzen. The noble Jedi, who is in a position where they're supposed to be diplomatic, and use lightsabers less frequently then knights do, gets a freaking Trandoshan. (Anyone who knows how Trandoshan culture works knows how it can clash with a consular.)

Quick Disclaimer: I do not dislike Vette or Qyzen. I'm just saying how they clash with the general image for the class they ally with.

Kaliyo isn't the only companion who clashes with the typical image of the class they're allied with.

The Sith Warrior gets Vette. The Sith Warrior is supposed to be ruthless and loyal to the Empire (even more loyal than the agent). But Vette is a sassy, back-talking slave who rejects authority and is kind towards enemies.

And the Jedi Consular gets Qyzen. The noble Jedi, who is in a position where they're supposed to be diplomatic, and use lightsabers less frequently then knights do, gets a freaking Trandoshan. (Anyone who knows how Trandoshan culture works knows how it can clash with a consular.)

Quick Disclaimer: I do not dislike Vette or Qyzen. I'm just saying how they clash with the general image for the class they ally with.

I only agree with the SW/Vette part. My agent and Kaliyo often clash over philosophy but she would appreiciate Kaliyo's strength and the ability to think outside the box and open her eyes to a non-grey perspective. Plus she would find her a good sparring partner to keep her fighting skills honed. My consular is calm and intellectual but he would be more intrigued than threatened by Qyzen. Plus of all my characters I liken msyelf to my consular and I have always thought Trandoshans are a cool reptilian race and glad this game gave them good coverage.

Well, are you a real life Agent? Do you know one? I'm guessing no. :p.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that if you are working undercover you need a reliable and loyal associates in order to keep yourself alive. These are two things that Kaliyo is not (as proven through her storyline). She is a lair, she plots things behind your back and in the end she even betrays you big time.

But she fights for you when she realizes she's been used herself. She's loyal to you personally...just not the Empire. We all knew that going in, including Keeper.

Ironically, your description fits the Agent character itself pretty well. You lie and betray all the time, and some people even choose to betray the Sith, or even whole Empire in the end :rolleyes:

It doesn't take a genius to realize that if you are working undercover you need a reliable and loyal associates in order to keep yourself alive. These are two things that Kaliyo is not (as proven through her storyline). She is a lair, she plots things behind your back and in the end she even betrays you big time.

If you watched 24, even Jack bauer surrounded himself with a few scumbags as underworld help ((i.e. the Louisianan in Season 1, and the ex army hermit surrounded by all those computers in final season)).

If you watched 24, even Jack bauer surrounded himself with a few scumbags as underworld help ((i.e. the Louisianan in Season 1, and the ex army hermit surrounded by all those computers in final season)).

Didn't the scumbags betray him though? (I can't remember it's been years since I watched 24).

She's loyal to you personally...
This sounds like you haven't finished her storyline. Or perhaps you just consider her lying to your face a personal loyalty.

I guess you like her and I hate her. I think we should just leave it at that.

Edited by Path-x

This sounds like you haven't finished her storyline. Or perhaps you just consider her lying to your face a personal loyalty.

I've finished her storyline twice, on an Operative and Sniper.

She's a habitual liar, but even so she always had my back. Even when I was stupid (hello fake holographic Mia) If it was her idea to hand me over to The Wheezer she would have planned it a lot better than that. But obviously she's smart enough to take the side that she knows was going to win.

I guess you like her and I hate her. I think we should just leave it at that.

I agree... but I'm not the one that started the thread. :rolleyes:

I only agree with the SW/Vette part. My agent and Kaliyo often clash over philosophy but she would appreiciate Kaliyo's strength and the ability to think outside the box and open her eyes to a non-grey perspective. Plus she would find her a good sparring partner to keep her fighting skills honed. My consular is calm and intellectual but he would be more intrigued than threatened by Qyzen. Plus of all my characters I liken msyelf to my consular and I have always thought Trandoshans are a cool reptilian race and glad this game gave them good coverage.

The basic deal with Qyzen is while he's definitely honorable, he's also somewhat ruthless and doesn't like it when you spare the life of that Mighty Sith. I also get the impression he wouldn't back down from a fight, even though Jedi are encouraged to avoid Combat whenever possible.

When mentioning clashing companions, I'm surprised you didn't mention Zenith as the Consular's companion. I think I clashed with him more than anyone else. Some of the things he was planning on doing to secure his election....wow. I took a lot of negative affection in those conversations because I couldn't support his actions. But I think he was my favorite companion on that ship too. :) Edited by chuixupu

The basic deal with Qyzen is while he's definitely honorable, he's also somewhat ruthless and doesn't like it when you spare the life of that Mighty Sith. I also get the impression he wouldn't back down from a fight, even though Jedi are encouraged to avoid Combat whenever possible.

For the most part I have had a god trac record with Qyzen even though i rp my Consular as good. He seems to favor heroic decisions well enough....even more so than say Rusk.

The first companions for all of the Republic classes support the Republic and wherever the class comes from -- the military, the jedi, the scruffy-looking underworld, etc.

Can't say about the Empire aside from the Agent.

I have to disagree with you. She fits perfectly my kind of Sith Warrior. I’ve role played the self-confident warrior, who follows the Sith codex and schemed his own network of allies and pawns to gain power. He is loyal to the Empier, but like any Sith puts himself above everything. Playing that kind of character one will find that he tends to pick the LS options (since he has long term plans on those NPC) and arrogant lines when he talks with Baras, because he wants to challenge and overthrow his obviously weaker master. Vette is absolutely happy with that.

Edited by Darth_Malish

• 2 weeks later...
I will start with my personal opinion. I hate companions who are against Empire. :)

Now what makes it even worse is that she is an incredibly stupid choice for a starting companion of an Imperial Agent. Her anti imperial stance, low-life character, no sense of honour and loyalty just makes it the worst possible choice for an Imperial Agent. If you are actually an imperial agent type of player (or just trying to get into being one) she is just repulsive and ruins quite a few moments for you.

Now I wouldn't mind her being a companion to a BH since when you play that class you kind live its mentality. But she just doesn't fit with IA.

I personally don't mind some non-Imperial Empire companions. Andronikos Revel, for instance, is a good match for just about any flavour of SI.

Having said that, yeah, Kaliyo's a poor choice. I wonder what Keeper has on her to keep her (relatively) loyal?

I personally don't mind some non-Imperial Empire companions. Andronikos Revel, for instance, is a good match for just about any flavour of SI.

Having said that, yeah, Kaliyo's a poor choice. I wonder what Keeper has on her to keep her (relatively) loyal?

I find Adronikos to be incompatible with my SI who would have fried him for his disrespectful attitude ages ago.

Keeper doesn't have anything on her. He hired her for one job, in return for which she got the info on...um...whatsername, that she wanted to stab in the back. She's still with the agent because the agent shows her a good time, and she gets a kick out of being with Imperial Intelligence instead of wanted by Imperial Intelligence. She has a license to kill, steal, lie, cheat, and betray pretty much anyone.

Even if you play your agent as far from Kaliyo's personality as possible, they still actually have quite a bit in common. They're partners; sure, the agent is the senior partner, but everyone else on the ship is an associate at best.

My Kaliyo affection rating for my characters:

Jedi Knight: At the best tries to teach her a lesson, at worse ignores her.

Jedi Consular: Probably intimidated and intrigued by her at the same time in a real bad way.

Smuggler: Would probably like her style and hang with ehr a bit but there would certainly be confrontations.

Trooper: Probably be her favorite bar room brawler rival.

Sith Warrior: Tolerate her more than Vette but would most likely still get around to being infuriated enough to destroy her.

Sith Inquisitor: Repulsed and disgusted by a woman who could act like that.

Bounty Hunter: Totally invite her to join his posse and be willing to romance her.

Imperial Agent: They butt heads on many moral issues and philosophy but my agent respects her strength and views her as someone who allows her to view the galaxy in more than just shades of grey.