Low Pop Servers

GaryCartel

I guess it depends how they go about doing transfers I mean they need to offer something other than making it free to transfer to a low pop server. I'm no dev or anything but merges would probably be way more challenging to pull off than transfers.

"Early" summer cant come soon enough for a lot of people.

They won't "merge" because there are accounts that would be left behind on the old server, not to mention the "but you made me come here" whines from people that would follow. Transfers are fine. That doesn't force anyone to do anything...please stop complaining about it.

I am sure it would be more difficult to do a merge. But it would be a good way to condense the population into less servers. With server transfers, the people that don't transfer are stuck on a desolate server.

Also, why would accounts get left behind in a merge... You are not making sense. Merge all accounts... Don't just leave half of them. People that have un-subbed if they ever come back would just be on the merged server.

The fact is there should be less servers to choose from and merging servers would help this problem.

Edited by GaryCartel

Hey BW! Why not Merge 2 to 3 servers together, instead of doing server transfer.

Take some blame... You made way to many servers and now you are paying for it.

Do something soon before it's too late.

Because they believe people will transfer away from populated servers and magically populate dead servers which just simply is not going to happen. They don't realize the simple fact that while yes they have a good amount of people playing, they are spread out through too many servers.

what a completely original thread!

And there will be more until Bioware actually manages to do something about the issue that should have been resolved long time ago. Or better yet, not open 2-3 times more servers than needed.

A server merge is not easy when they have a "Legacy" system that is server based.

And even if it were, it would not solve server population in the long run. All you did was add more fuel to your gas tank but you are still driving down an endless road and you will need to get more gas (People) again.

The best way to handle this is x - server battle groups.

People say it will "kill" the community but that is not true. If you make the battle groups small and limit them to 4-5 servers per group you will get good queue times and eventually you will get to know other PvP players and guilds.

This is the answer and the long term solution.

A server merge is not easy when they have a "Legacy" system that is server based.

Nonsense... data mergese are simple. Happens all the time in the industry and there are more than one way to do it. Legacy means nothing. All the accounts are identified by GUIDs (global unique identifiers). The only labels that need to get changed are duplicate names and that is easily handled by concatenating a short string (usually 'XX') to the end of the label.

Nonsense... data mergese are simple. Happens all the time in the industry and there are more than one way to do it. Legacy means nothing. All the accounts are identified by GUIDs (global unique identifiers). The only labels that need to get changed are duplicate names and that is easily handled by concatenating a short string (usually 'XX') to the end of the label.

Ok so when they do a merge and your legacy items or name does not show up then what. Everything might sound like ok this is easy and this is how they do it.

But do "YOU" know how they programmed the system or how they developed the legacy system, how it is codded?

Unless you work for BW then the answer is NO as BW seems to make things more difficult, than they should be.

I go again to the performance codding on as to loading other player characters on your screen to opening your inventory, with being a major delay in terms of processing.

Just saying it would not surprise me if things were weighing on one thing, while being held on to something else that is not relevant to any kind of functional operation.

So you are OK with losing all of your character's names as well as your legacy name?

I'd be willing to risk it if it meant I would have something to do with my lvl 50s. As it is, a pub on a low pop server playing primarily during non-peak hours, WZ queues can easily go over an hour before getting put into a lopsided match.

They will have to keep free server transfers up forever then , since people will come back eventually (well some) and when they get back they will find there server is dead and that is why merge is a better idea then a transfer for that fact alone , it will just cause more trouble if they don't unless they offer each account a one time transfer new or old. But in the long run wouldn't it save them money to close down servers that don't need to be running due to low population?

Also this transfer better be able to move all your items that are in the cargo hold. Also the way the game is the transfer system will be buggy like the rest of the game and something will F up and more people will quit .

If they don't offer transfers soon or don't merge soon they will have 0 player base and people will not come back due to the slow action that is being seen from there part.

Rest in Peace SWTOR..

Ok so when they do a merge and your legacy items or name does not show up then what. Everything might sound like ok this is easy and this is how they do it.

But do "YOU" know how they programmed the system or how they developed the legacy system, how it is codded?

Unless you work for BW then the answer is NO as BW seems to make things more difficult, than they should be.

I go again to the performance codding on as to loading other player characters on your screen to opening your inventory, with being a major delay in terms of processing.

Just saying it would not surprise me if things were weighing on one thing, while being held on to something else that is not relevant to any kind of functional operation.

Why do you assume that legacy would be lost? They obviously wouldn't do server merges unless they had everything ironed out. The only possible drawback would be requiring you to rename your characters and/or legacy, nothing else.

Again, that wouldn't happen. The labels you are mentioning (names, legacy names) will either be exactly like they were before the merge or will have a short string on the end like an 'XX'. The items would be associated with the primary key (a GUID) and so no problem there either.

It is really not a big deal unless they had a first time fool architect the database. Which I highly doubt.

Transfers are more problematic and they have that working apparently.

The true reason they won't merge servers is that marketing weasels are afraid it will be bad press. So instead the marketing geniuses will let subs bleed out until even merges are too late to save the game from losing critical mass like Warhammer did.

I'd be willing to risk it if it meant I would have something to do with my lvl 50s. As it is, a pub on a low pop server playing primarily during non-peak hours, WZ queues can easily go over an hour before getting put into a lopsided match.

Well, then all you need to do is convince every other person on your server that losing their character names is no big deal and you'll be ready for a server merger.

Again, that wouldn't happen. The labels you are mentioning (names, legacy names) will either be exactly like they were before the merge or will have a short string on the end like an 'XX'. The items would be associated with the primary key (a GUID) and so no problem there either.

It is really not a big deal unless they had a first time fool architect the database. Which I highly doubt.

Transfers are more problematic and they have that working apparently.

The true reason they won't merge servers is that marketing weasels are afraid it will be bad press. So instead the marketing geniuses will let subs bleed out until even merges are too late to save the game from losing critical mass like Warhammer did.

Exactly i don't know who they have working in marketing or leading the charge on this idea but they should be fired for sure , i can do a better job drunk on LSD, in a gas chamber. Hmm was worse PR ,server merges or 0 subscribers hmm that is a tough one (face palm).

And even if it were, it would not solve server population in the long run. All you did was add more fuel to your gas tank but you are still driving down an endless road and you will need to get more gas (People) again.

The best way to handle this is x - server battle groups.

People say it will "kill" the community but that is not true. If you make the battle groups small and limit them to 4-5 servers per group you will get good queue times and eventually you will get to know other PvP players and guilds.

This is the answer and the long term solution.

Your solution does not help PVE.

You are going to lose them in a server transfer anyway, so...

In a transfer you elect to lose your names. In a merge you have the loss of name forced upon you by the developer. Guess which one is going to cause the most PR problems.

In a transfer you elect to lose your names. In a merge you have the loss of name forced upon you by the developer. Guess which one is going to cause the most PR problems.

Short term merge would but long term transfers will destroy them, without merge's this game is dead and it hasn't even been a year lol, say hell to F2P.

The only question left is will they merge before it is too late to matter.

Well the way they handle things so far it will be waaay to late to save the game and i mean if they don't put this into effect before the month end then they will see great number of unsubscribers, i know i can't handle the low pop anymore .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.