Dragon Age 3 Devs moved to SWTOR.

Being good at mmo pvp is like being good at the recorder you played in primary school.

Then being bad at mmo PvP would be like being bad at coloring in the lines in Primary school.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then being bad at mmo PvP would be like being bad at coloring in the lines in Primary school.

Couldn't have said it better myself, yes.

At any rate, the word "skill" doesen't belong in any mmo pvp discussion.

Edited by Vlaxitov

HA!?? What!!??.

What games can you name that have the same patch fix fix fix fix every update merry go round as Swtor ?

You mean besides WoW, Rift, Aion, and SWG? I'd like to know what game you play that have perfect patches, every time, that need no hot fixes.

Couldn't have said it better myself, yes.

At any rate, the word "skill" doesen't belong in any mmo pvp discussion.

Some MMOs do have a slight benefit if you can execute your class well and flow with the game mechanics.

But most MMOs are also,"Here let me hit you with this overpowered attack and take half your health."

Edited by Tiaa

Some MMOs do have a slight benefit if you can execute your class well and flow with the game mechanics.

But most MMOs are also,"Here let me hit you with this overpowered attack and take half your health."

You're not aiming anything and all you have to do tab target and button mash, maybe strafe a little if you realize your opponent is a keyturner.

It just doesen't take that much hand eye coordination to play a standard mmo compared to say even diablo 2.

Not particularly impressed by either the Mythic crew or the Dragon Age crew being on this game. Neither crew has been stellar of late. Mythic has already soured SWTOR, and I don't even want to know what they have in mind for the DA crew.

yeah, everyone talks about mythic and how great DAoC was, but seems to gloss over the absolute failure of Warhammer Online.

and as for the Dragon Age crew... well the ones responsible for the first one (the good one) have mostly left anyway, so all we are getting are the ones who did the second one (the crappy one).

Great news, but why the hell did they even start making DA3, they killed any trilogy potential with DA2, if that was EA's business plan, then that is one bad investment... Edited by Notannos
use of the word 'retard'

Great news, but why the hell did they even start making DA3, they killed any trilogy potential with DA2, if that was EA's business plan, then that is one retarded investment...

Dont you know the time honored practice of buying a company, then milking the name for absolutely all its worth before discarding it in the mud and moving on to the next one ?

Great news, but why the hell did they even start making DA3, they killed any trilogy potential with DA2, if that was EA's business plan, then that is one bad investment...

Yeah, uh, about EA, bad business plans and bad investments... I think there's something you should know...

Well that doesn't surprise me. The same failures that created DA2 can continue to fail in SWTOR.

Nobody was going to buy DA3 after the DA2 debacle. In fact sales were so anemic and the game got such bad press that retailers refuse to stock the proposed "Ultimate Edition" of DA2 because it would be a "waste of shelf space."

DA:O is still stocked and in fact sells for more than DA2 does. Bioware needs to right the ship or they are pretty much finished as a quality dev at least in my eyes.

You nailed it.

And the same successes that created Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Dragon Age: Origins and to a lesser extent Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 (depending on your view) can carry over as well, I am simply stoked at the idea of having David Gaider on board if he has indeed switched over.

And I actually liked Dragon Age II, not as good as Origins, but was still a nice tide over.

I gove em credit for Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Dragon Age: Origins and mass effect (only the first one). Nothing else is important or a failure to me.

I gove em credit for Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Dragon Age: Origins and mass effect (only the first one). Nothing else is important or a failure to me.

You forget that when "Bioware made kotor"

* The main publisher was LucasArts.

* For swtor the main publishers are EA/Lucasarts.

Having such a game mode is an option, as long as it is not the only/primary option, and it still adheres to the point system I mentioned before.

On another note, grinding warzones for gear is also bad PVP design. Competitive PVP requires less of a gear gap than SWTOR currently permits. A proper PVP item mall should include gear with equal stats that provides a wide variety of skill mechanics/timings/utility changes that can customize your character to how you play, or to some strategy, and throw some tactical outfitting decisions into the game. These items should be free, or cost a very minimal amount of credits, not some PVP token. It should never be about more raw stats, ever.

Think of it like WoW glyphs, only stronger, and about 20x more of them for each ability/armor slot.

This is an excellent idea that will never happen. Devs are convinced a "carrot on a stick" approach is the only way to do pvp. Although I'm not against the idea of a successful pvp player earning rewards for performance, it should be balanced better. And I'm ok with the idea of that gear being useless in pve.

The lead designer for DA:O, Brent Knowles, left Bioware before DA:2 development even started.

"And though many things were yet undecided (and some still are) one thing was clear. After ten years, I could no longer work for BioWare. There are a many reasons for this, most are private, but ultimately I’m not the same person I was when I started, and BioWare isn’t the same company. We’ve changed."

http://blog.brentknowles.com/2009/08/18/onto-new-adventures/

More on why he quit DA:2:

"Discussion on Dragon Age 2 began around this time and looking ahead I knew that I wasn’t going to be satisfied with what Dragon Age 2 would be. Party control/tactical combat are huge factors in my enjoyment of a role-playing game as is adopting the role of the hero (i.e., customizing my character). I was fairly certain Dragon Age would transition towards more of a Mass Effect experience, which while enjoyable is not the type of role-playing game I play. Could I be the lead designer on such a title? Certainly… though if I were going to work on a game adopting a set-in-stone protagonist I’d rather work on something lighter, like a shooter."

http://blog.brentknowles.com/2010/08/15/bioware-brent-year-10-fall-2008-summer-2009/

Maybe the DA:2 guys can work on fixing TOR's gameplay issues at least, since apparently story isn't their strong suit.

I don't understand how more people aren't rejoicing over this news.

This is the best thing to happen to TOR yet.

Has there been any actual confirmation of this rumor by EA or Bioware?

Doesn't matter how many devs they move to TOR... The game design is fail to me.. So unless TOR has their own NGE where they make it more sandbox then linear themepark, my sub will remain on the 45 day cancel cooldown.. I've logged on about 2 hours a week AT MOST.. Come Tues when Diablo 3 goes live, I doubt I'll log on at all, unless asked to..

The lead designer for DA:O, Brent Knowles, left Bioware before DA:2 development even started.

"And though many things were yet undecided (and some still are) one thing was clear. After ten years, I could no longer work for BioWare. There are a many reasons for this, most are private, but ultimately I’m not the same person I was when I started, and BioWare isn’t the same company. We’ve changed."

http://blog.brentknowles.com/2009/08/18/onto-new-adventures/

More on why he quit DA:2:

"Discussion on Dragon Age 2 began around this time and looking ahead I knew that I wasn’t going to be satisfied with what Dragon Age 2 would be. Party control/tactical combat are huge factors in my enjoyment of a role-playing game as is adopting the role of the hero (i.e., customizing my character). I was fairly certain Dragon Age would transition towards more of a Mass Effect experience, which while enjoyable is not the type of role-playing game I play. Could I be the lead designer on such a title? Certainly… though if I were going to work on a game adopting a set-in-stone protagonist I’d rather work on something lighter, like a shooter."

http://blog.brentknowles.com/2010/08/15/bioware-brent-year-10-fall-2008-summer-2009/

Maybe the DA:2 guys can work on fixing TOR's gameplay issues at least, since apparently story isn't their strong suit.

DA:2's combat wasn't the problem. It was the lack of varied environments and the slap stick comic rush ahead 3 years ripping intimacy from the journey approach that was bad. I mean Armor customization was there for Hawk and I could care less about others. Usually looked dumb anyway.

I'd argue combat was the high point of DA:2 in fact. I thought it was fine, more or less active turn based RPG combat like FFX & beyond.

I don't understand how more people aren't rejoicing over this news.

This is the best thing to happen to TOR yet.

Well... if they're the same devs that did dragon age 2...Noone in their sane minds will rejoice. Better to have fewer people than a bunch of incompetent.

Bioware does not mean anything anymore.

Well... if they're the same devs that did dragon age 2...Noone in their sane minds will rejoice. Better to have fewer people than a bunch of incompetent.

Bioware does not mean anything anymore.

Well it still means something IF what you're looking for is a console play RPG game like KoTOR.. or DA... I'll give Bioware that much that they are able to make good storyline games.... However, jumping over into a TRUE mmorgp game, it just doesn't feel like it.. SWTOR feels like I'm playing Dragon Age Online.. The story is already written and it's not mine.. I was hoping that SWTOR was going to allow me the freedom to make my own.. Sadly that is not the case.... I've tried leveling two Sith Inq to 50 (one as a Sorc, the other Assassin.. I gave up on the Assassin because it was the exact same thing, same companions and all.. the repeating of the dialogue was insane and boring...

NO THANKS..