Sorc/Sage and Assassin/Shadow (or any melee really))

Dayshadow

My vanguard is almost full tank specced with tactics up to Gut. I could not be defeated even before I put points into tactics. I have entire teams focusing me and I just ignore them. I'm willing to say vanguard tank is OP'd right now.

Compared to a vanguard tanks jugg tanks are VERY weak. Not weak overall, but by comparison. They need a dmg boost and vanguard need a nerf so that it balances out somewhere in the middle. Unless they overhaul the tanking in PvP so that it is viable they have to give them a dmg boost even if it only works in WZs.

Learn to watchman and mitigate damage all already leaping from friend to foe to friend to foe and bouncing like a maniac...

:cool:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fight 1vs1 one quite a but in WZs. Or 2vs2. In in the midst of a battle royale there are 1vs1 encounters going on all the time. If I can faceroll a sorc 1vs1, what's to stop me from putting that same beating on a sorc 8vs8? Please explain your logic. Because any melee will simply zero in on the sorc. I know I would. I don't understand why you think a team would make a difference.

If you're doing lots of 1v1's and 2v2's in wz's, as a Sorc, you've just admitted to being a bad player, because that isn't the strength of a Sorc. As for the difference between a 1v1 and 8v8, I mentioned that above. In a 1v1, you can use your CD's more freely, as you don't have to worry about someone else jumping in at an inopportune time where your CD would've been more useful. You only need to read 1 persons actions, and react to them appropriately. In an 8v8, you have to understand that while using that CoolCD_01 right now might help you kill your opponent a little faster, saving it for your next opponent will help you burn their side down fast enough to successfully cap the objective. Defensive cooldowns could be the same way. Using it in a 1v1 might help you survive with more health, but saving it for when his backup comes might prevent them from utterly destroying you and capping before your help arrives. Cooldowns and timing of those cooldowns play a much more important role when its 8v8, than when it's just 1v1.

In games like EQ if you couldn;t beat a class you could outheal them so that they give up or escape. You could actually get away. No incombat slow. Everyone didn't have range AND snares? Alone an enchanter wasn't much, but in a group they were great. And if caught alone they could get away. Unlike TOR, in which you are not only incapable of beating class X, but you can't escape either.

EQ used much different rules in regards to CC, resists, and hit rate, too. Different game, different system. Personally, I thought EQ's system was great for PvP, because slows and CC wouldn't always land, but the ones that landed very often broke upon damage, so you had to really coordinate your CC's better.

In games like everquest where you had pure support classes like bards and enchanters, heals/support like druid and shaman, DPS like ranger and wizard you might have a point. If there was collision detection so that heavies would act as human shields. Oh, and if taunt locked enemies' target solely on the tank (and the tank actually had the durability to tank) you might have a point. But that's not TOR.

Haha, in EQ, bards and chanters were not solely support classes, and druids and shamen were not solely healing classes. Collision detection for PvP wasn't in game either. And taunt skills didn't do anything.

In TOR there are DPS and healers. No genuine support classes. Pretty simple. In this environment there are no cross-class team dynamics no matter how much people want to pretend there is. There is only knowing how to play the WZ and how to maximize your classes DPS/heal output. Being on a team does not change the fact that a assassin on team A is still going to faceroll the sage on team B. You can't have a random assortment of classes on each side and then claim it shouldn't be blanced for 1vs1. So if 8 assassins face off against 8 sages, who wins? Unless PvP team slots are based on class so that each side is always even it MUST be balanced for 1vs1 or it won't be balanced at all.

Sages certainly stand a very good chance if they cross-support their teammates, but most bad players in SWTOR can't think that far ahead. That's not a reason to nerf another class, though.

Here is another way to look at it.

Lets assume Assassin dominates single target, while a Sage dominates AOE/CC. Therefore, Assassin vs Sage 1v1, Assassin wins.

However, in 8v8, when the Sages can lock down their opponents in the same area, while all 8 of them AOE all 8 locked down Assassins, the Sages will win.

Play to strengths, not to away from them. And don't complain when another class plays to it's strengths, and you don't.

If you're doing lots of 1v1's and 2v2's in wz's, as a Sorc, you've just admitted to being a bad player, because that isn't the strength of a Sorc. As for the difference between a 1v1 and 8v8, I mentioned that above. In a 1v1, you can use your CD's more freely, as you don't have to worry about someone else jumping in at an inopportune time where your CD would've been more useful. You only need to read 1 persons actions, and react to them appropriately. In an 8v8, you have to understand that while using that CoolCD_01 right now might help you kill your opponent a little faster, saving it for your next opponent will help you burn their side down fast enough to successfully cap the objective. Defensive cooldowns could be the same way. Using it in a 1v1 might help you survive with more health, but saving it for when his backup comes might prevent them from utterly destroying you and capping before your help arrives. Cooldowns and timing of those cooldowns play a much more important role when its 8v8, than when it's just 1v1.

EQ used much different rules in regards to CC, resists, and hit rate, too. Different game, different system. Personally, I thought EQ's system was great for PvP, because slows and CC wouldn't always land, but the ones that landed very often broke upon damage, so you had to really coordinate your CC's better.

Haha, in EQ, bards and chanters were not solely support classes, and druids and shamen were not solely healing classes. Collision detection for PvP wasn't in game either. And taunt skills didn't do anything.

Sages certainly stand a very good chance if they cross-support their teammates, but most bad players in SWTOR can't think that far ahead. That's not a reason to nerf another class, though.

Lets assume Assassin dominates single target, while a Sage dominates AOE/CC. Therefore, Assassin vs Sage 1v1, Assassin wins.

However, in 8v8, when the Sages can lock down their opponents in the same area, while all 8 of them AOE all 8 locked down Assassins, the Sages will win.

Play to strengths, not to away from them. And don't complain when another class plays to it's strengths, and you don't.

That's a lot of assuming, especially as the assassins can all both stealth and go immune to the CC....

That's a lot of assuming, especially as the assassins can all both stealth and go immune to the CC....

I wouldn't necessarily call my post full of assumptions. More like varying, dynamic scenarios that can change the expected outcome of any fight. How varied, or dynamic the scenario depends on how good the player(s) are, because the Warzones themselves don't change.

My madness sorcerer is the most difficult to play (also happens to be my most time-invested/geared toon).

Hahaahahhahahaah....oh wait you're serious.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Are you kidding? Madness Sorc and Difficult should not be used in the same sentence. A Mentally Challenged Gorilla with a railroad spike through it's head, eating an apple with one hand, and using the other over-sized palm to mash the keyboard could top the charts as a Madness Sorc.

Here's what you do. 1. Death Field 2. Creeping Terror + Affliction -> Tab -> Affliction -> Tab -> Affliction 3. Spam Force Lighting for Wrath Proc. 4. Crushing Darkness on Wrath Proc.

Rinse and Repeat.

Edited by rbkrbk

That would be the One Force lift (fills the resolve bar if balance spec'd), TK /Static Collapse/discharge ( also fills the resolve bar and breaks on the first tic of damage), Force Wave with root again breaks nearly immediately on the first tic of damage, and Stun, which is 3/4 the resolve bar and is worn off after approximately 4kish damage, with roughly 15k to go its then snare run, and hope to god that you get far enough away that the ADD kid chasing you sees someone shinier than you to attack so you can go on whittling down their HPs

The sorc has two viable CC abilities:

1. Elecrecute - The only tradtionally useful stun we have. Sadly, it's on a minute CD which makes it not so useful.

2. Force Slow (+Force speed) - 6 secs... minus 1.5 GCD and time it takes you to activate force speed(another GCD) and bolt away from a melee. That's a bare minimum of 3 secs of useful slow. But of course it's realistically less than that due to a run time while speeding. This combo equates to what our knockback SHOULD do. Without force speed force slow is pointless due to in-combat speed reduction. That really needs to go. Too much CC and ranged classes anyway. Why do we need a hardwired slow just for being in combat?

The weak situational WZ CC that is more about meeting objectives than actually fighting:

1. Knockback that barely puts a melee out of 4m range. They're back on you before the global CD timer is up. Useful as an interrupt only.

2. Whirlwind, that is broken by dmg (i.e. our DOTs make it nigh worthless in a fight anyway)

You can get 1 other CC from the following choices:

Madness

Creeping Terror - 2 sec root with... yep, an 18sec DOT that does crap damage and makes whirlwind useless:) Madness definitely needs a talent to make DOTs not break whirlwind.

Lightning

Electric Bindings - Makes the knockback useful, applying a 5 sec root to multiple foes. Should be in the PvP tree as I don't see it being at necessary in PvE. If you tank is bad enough that you need this you're group is toast anyway. This is the best CC any Sorc can get and probably why people go madness/lightning hybrid.

Corruption

They can get a 10% speed reduction effect added to affliction. Not sure how useful 10% is.

Edited by Dayshadow

If that assassin is coming for you and you don't use your CC... you're going to die right then and there. So you won't be arourd for the second wave. Saving it for some what if possibility just means you'll never use it... because you'll be dead very quickly. The best way to avoid damage is to run around objects and force speed away if possible. Any class, ALL of them (including melee), benefit from a group if the enemy attention is on someone else. It isn't some super special secret tactic for sorcs.

Funny, I can beat Smugglers and Troopers (all 4 ACs) 1vs1. I can also beat crappy melee (all 3 ACs) 1vs1 (which is irrelevant, I know, as they aren;t representative of thier classes' abilities). To say that any class is not supposed to fight 1vs1 is ludicrous. You don't have a choice when that sentinel or shadow singles you out because they know it's an easy kill. Or when you are guarding and someone attacks or even if someone shows up between objective points and attacks.

Sorry, that you get your butt kicked all the time without a buddy to save you. Maybe you're a bad player.

Yes, different game. EQ was nowhere near as simplistic as TOR which has only two PvP roles: DPS and healers with everyone having CC which negates each other's CC. TOR cannot have classes that automatically die when facing another. It creates weak links that WILL be exploited by enemy teams group or no group.

I specifically said heal/support. And bards and chanters were primarily support. They fact that you could do dmg does not make them dmg dealers. The collsion detection and taunt, were things I'm saying need to be in TOR. Not things in EQ. I think they are in Tera.

Saying they have a good chance if the assassin does not target them or if it's 2vs1 is a horrible argument. ALL classes will have a better chance of winning with superior numbers? Again, this reality is not a sorc only benefit. You're making my point for me. If an assassin can challenege whoever the heck they want 1vs1 and a sorc can't there is no balance. Guess what? That assassin will kick a sorcs butt even faster with another guy supporting him. So what?

If only that were the case, as I mentioned in my original post. However, it's not.

1.) Sorc AOE is not great in this game.

2.) How are these sorcs going to force everyone to huddle up for this CC fest while getting their faces rolled on?

1 assasin can faceroll a sorc... so when there is 1 for each sorc what are they going to do? If they focused they could kill each sorc in literally 1 sec and pick them all off between each GCD.

Another player is not MY strength. Please listen to yourself. You've all but openly admitted I'm right.

To be clear on abilities here we are talking Tank specced assassins and shadows. We have the exact same number of base cc's as sorc/sage. Channeled lift which we would almost never use ( can be talented to be instant same as sage/sorc but to do so we'd lose our self heals ability which is the ENTIRE basis for any argument that we are OP), we can spec into Force Pull and out of stealth Force Kick, just as sage sorc can spec for aoe mezz on armor break and knockback root.

I will now reveal the secret to competing with (I don't say beat because I'm guessing that most of the qq'ers here are bads) only use your CC on a tankasin when he is channelling TK throw/force lightning. It's our only real strength. Despite what you think or have heard our dmg is far below other melee (see shadow forum for parse proof).

To be clear on abilities here we are talking Tank specced assassins and shadows. We have the exact same number of base cc's as sorc/sage. Channeled lift which we would almost never use ( can be talented to be instant same as sage/sorc but to do so we'd lose our self heals ability which is the ENTIRE basis for any argument that we are OP), we can spec into Force Pull and out of stealth Force Kick, just as sage sorc can spec for aoe mezz on armor break and knockback root.

I will now reveal the secret to competing with (I don't say beat because I'm guessing that most of the qq'ers here are bads) only use your CC on a tankasin when he is channelling TK throw/force lightning. It's our only real strength. Despite what you think or have heard our dmg is far below other melee (see shadow forum for parse proof).

Actaully, it would probably be best to CC after a Tankasin uses their force speed to get to melee range to attack you. You can just interrupt Force Lightning. Knock them back, run far away, start attacking, if they Force Speed to you, CC, run away again, keep attacking.

The Devs play PVP and just code their classes OP .. the most obvious answer is usually the truth. There is no real thinking about it. The whole idea that there is thinking was made up to justify getting their checks.

Think about it? What's more believable ? That they think and screw it all up constantly or that they play the OP classes themselves and code it that way?

People screw up but how much of a screw up can you be? It's way past believable at this point. I just hope they write a book about it so they can get on a stage someday and take a bow for all these theatrics. They put Hollywood to shame.

Edited by LancelotOC

Actaully, it would probably be best to CC after a Tankasin uses their force speed to get to melee range to attack you. You can just interrupt Force Lightning. Knock them back, run far away, start attacking, if they Force Speed to you, CC, run away again, keep attacking.

*snicker* only they're going to pull you back to them before you are done running....

So you may as well sack up and try killing them.:o

I don't play a sage but .... shadows can't heal other players.

Sages can.

Tank Shadows can't DPS effectively outside 10m.

Sages can. (Force pull has a 45 second cooldown so none of this BS about shadows just roping you in all the time).

How about comparing apples with apples.

I see people saying Kiting doesn't exist in this game..... uh, yes it does. Kiting me is your best weapon as a Sorc, and there are a few smart/dirty Sorcs on my server that know how to do this. (We're talking Madness Spec here for Sorc)

Knockback -> Stun -> Force Speed away -> turn around and spam the crap out of Force Lightning (this hurts me AND slows me down) -> Creeping Terror (immobilize for 2 seconds), Force Slow -> run back a little -> Force Lightning -> (I have to slowly get close to you) -> Knockback is ready again -> I use my Force Pull -> Insta-cast Force Lift -> run away -> Force Lightning -> win

YES, I DO realize this all relies on the Sorc having all their Cooldowns/Stuns ready. You'd be surprised at how often that can be though. At least on my server, it's usually a constant Melee v. Melee brawl-fest and few people seem to ever go after the ranged classes hanging out in the back.

This doesn't even take into consideration the crappy LoS this game has at times. On Alderaan it's down right PATHETIC how easily a Sorc/Sage Healer can just Force Slow - Force Speed his way down around the steps/stairs and heal himself while you're frantically trying to catch up to him to interrupt him.

I see people saying Kiting doesn't exist in this game..... uh, yes it does. Kiting me is your best weapon as a Sorc, and there are a few smart/dirty Sorcs on my server that know how to do this. (We're talking Madness Spec here for Sorc)

Knockback -> Stun -> Force Speed away -> turn around and spam the crap out of Force Lightning (this hurts me AND slows me down) -> Creeping Terror (immobilize for 2 seconds), Force Slow -> run back a little -> Force Lightning -> (I have to slowly get close to you) -> Knockback is ready again -> I use my Force Pull -> Insta-cast Force Lift -> run away -> Force Lightning -> win

YES, I DO realize this all relies on the Sorc having all their Cooldowns/Stuns ready. You'd be surprised at how often that can be though. At least on my server, it's usually a constant Melee v. Melee brawl-fest and few people seem to ever go after the ranged classes hanging out in the back.

This doesn't even take into consideration the crappy LoS this game has at times. On Alderaan it's down right PATHETIC how easily a Sorc/Sage Healer can just Force Slow - Force Speed his way down around the steps/stairs and heal himself while you're frantically trying to catch up to him to interrupt him.

So very very true.

I had my problems at first, too. But a Madness Sorc with proper situational awareness is quite the pain for those melee buddies.

Of course we're squishy and if a murder train of melees maximizes effort to hunt you down every single time they spot you, well, it's gg. But if they do so, you at least know you had some kind of impression on them. ;)

I've been charged around the corner, finished with Saber throw, choked, ravaged, smashed, screamed, etc pp so many times it is not funny anymre. :rolleyes:

If you're doing lots of 1v1's and 2v2's in wz's, as a Sorc, you've just admitted to being a bad player, because that isn't the strength of a Sorc.

Oh so when I get knocked off the ramps in Huttball and into two players below I'm bad? Or when I get pulled by an Sin/Powertech into the middle of a group of marauders I'm doing that by choice right? We get forced into these things kiting and good mobility/los only gets you so far....

Yeah like all 8 players are going to stay in one area at the same time.. Were going to Aoe/CC to death an entire team of assasins, I hardly say our Aoe/CC is dominating by any means, Especially when your comparing it to Assasins which have every bit of CC we do so I'm confused on how we dominate in those aspects? I would gladly trade a force sweep for Force Crush. Face it 1v1 and 2v2's 3v3's happen alot more than 8v8. Especially since literally all but one wz is either capturing a node, or planting a bomb. Which guess what you can control 2 Nodes with all 8 players on one node.

I play to my strengths but how can I kill a class that has more tools than me and all the CC/Abilities that I have. I sever force assasin, they slow me, I FL guess what they FL me to, I force speed away, guess who's force speeding after me, I force stun and get my distance back guess what they have it to, oh wait let me try and slow them then sever force, oh lets have them pull me right to them. Oh yeah did I forget they get a free amount of time with there cloak/resist to bang on us. Oh they're starting to lose the fight lets have them vanish real quick run LOS me and have them meditate to full health or sap me and meditate to full health....

Edited by majahlaza

Ehrm... so you think you should have all what the mdps have and be ranged? *laugh*

No I think I should have more CC than them and better mobility. Since I'm a ranged class with light armor and no defensive cool downs besides my bubble. Since it takes me alot longer for my dots to tickle you to death and is much more difficult for me to kill you. A sage will die 10/10 times in a 1v1 with either FL or Force Stun on Cooldown. we need literally every single CD up to even have a chance and if the fight starts out in melee range your going to win more likely than not, While if the fight starts at range and I still initiate you still have a very good chance to win unless I time all my CD's perfectly and kite to perfection, While if you get into melee range even for a short while you can easily burst my health down, Which isn't very difficult to do which you already admitted. Unless you play a sage your not really going to understand our frustrations. Also I would gladly trade force wave for force push I'm confused as why a class that is a master of using the force as a weapon doesn't have one of the most iconic force powers in Star Wars.... I would much rather have this than an aoe knock back and it would help create alot more distance and help us with our kiting.

Edited by majahlaza

No I think I should have more CC than them and better mobility. Since I'm a ranged class with light armor and no defensive cool downs besides my bubble. Since it takes me alot longer for my dots to tickle you to death and is much more difficult for me to kill you. A sage will die 10/10 times in a 1v1 with either FL or Force Stun on Cooldown. we need literally every single CD up to even have a chance and if the fight starts out in melee range your going to win more likely than not, While if the fight starts at range and I still initiate you still have a very good chance to win unless I time all my CD's perfectly and kite to perfection, While if you get into melee range even for a short while you can easily burst my health down, Which isn't very difficult to do which you already admitted. Unless you play a sage your not really going to understand our frustrations. Also I would gladly trade force wave for force push I'm confused as why a class that is a master of using the force as a weapon doesn't have one of the most iconic force powers in Star Wars.... I would much rather have this than an aoe knock back and it would help create alot more distance and help us with our kiting.

I give you the part where a couple moments are enough for a melee to severely injure us. Especially true for Marauders/Sents and for our semi-melee PT/vanguard friends.

Nevertheless, it's a matter of your spec. Full Madness root will give you an advantage. I'm playing both, a WH Sorc and WH Marauder and trust me, I can kite melee with my Sorc AND good Sorcs can kite my Marauder. To a degree where it's just a waste of time and I bash them when they are busy shooting at someone else (but that leads to a different story...).

It depends on your spec and the one's you're trying to kite of course. Without the root from full madness you'll have a much harder time. Against a Carnage Marauder you'll have a hard time anyway.

People seem to forget that kiting doesn't mean you have to outrace them all the time. Yeah, so that chaser slowed you. Do the same and stay out of melee range. You just have to know when he can charge again and save KB or Force Speed for it.

I'll admit we lack enough pressure to make that chaser give up quickly, so this could take a while. And now guess what?! We're not alone in WZs. It's very often enough to keep them off of you for a couple seconds to kite them into a direction where someone interferes. Oh and god forbid you're actually bringing buddies who will help you all the time after you called for it on vent ;)

Now add some situational awareness and you're good to go. Just remember that nasty melee who just bashed you and always (I mean ALWAYS) watch out for him. Even while pwning people you'll have to be aware if said bad boy is coming back for you ... ALL THE TIME.

It baffles me when people are complaining how the sin's have the same tool box as a sorc/sage. That is simply not true. Yes they can do many of the things you do, but the range on it is horrible. The damage isn't that great. If it was, you would see more sin/shadows standing there spamming force lightning.

Another thing that baffles me, and maybe this just comes from my time spent as a healer. Yes, the sin can spam force slow on you and you know what? You can remove it with purge. This matters. Why? Because if they spend all their time trying to close the gap with you using ranged powers they are going to run OOF. Yes it comes back reasonably quickly, but when they are slowly chasing you while force is regening that is when you have the time to unload on them.

The dots you have as a sorc will shred them while they are at range. Yeah, they have the same dots (but again, you can remove them with purge.)

If they decide to smoke all the cd's they have just to kill you they will likely win. But next time you should beat them like a red headed step child if you use ALL of your tool box.

This game's PvP is highly objective oriented. There is no death match WZ's. You don't have to win the fight to win the game; which should be your focus. Winning the game with your team.