Imagine SWTOR with a dash of SWG

Absolutely... agreed. Absolutely.

I second that... 100%.. SWG environment, economy, housing, tailoring, crafting... with SWTOR combat / class / skills... Awesome. No matter what all other people say. Awesome.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP makes a good point in that SWTOR could use a DASH (Key word, here, folks) of what SWG had.

SWTOR will always be a theme-park MMO, but some elements of an open-world and other SWG aspects could greatly improve it. I'm not asking for a SWG2 or SWG-clone, just something to break the monotony.

I want to improve this game and make it better, and using some SWG aspects could, in my opinion, help in that regard.

It could use more than a dash, it could use a very, very liberal covering of the best SWG-esq things (cherries on top, if you will).

If could also use a decent dose of DAoC/WAR, Planetside 1 or 2.

It's probably got enough WoW.

Reading the rose-tinted nostalgia from old SWG players always makes me laugh. I enjoyed SWG too, but if it was so popular, or even good, SOE wouldn't have tried to completely change the game--twice. SWG was already bleeding subscribers pre-CU. There were some things it did well, but a very large portion of the game was broken. Anyone who says SWG was "one of the greatest games ever" is fooling themselves.

Reading the rose-tinted nostalgia from old SWG players always makes me laugh. I enjoyed SWG too, but if it was so popular, or even good, SOE wouldn't have tried to completely change the game--twice. SWG was already bleeding subscribers pre-CU. There were some things it did well, but a very large portion of the game was broken. Anyone who says SWG was "one of the greatest games ever" is fooling themselves.

It wasn't one of the greatest games ever, but anyone that says "SWG had nothing good" is fooling themselves far more.

That's what I expected this to be. That's what everyone sort of expected this to be. That, coupled with all the voice acting and cut-scenes. This was supposed to be THE game. What we were given, however, is an unfinished, unevolved WoW clone. I would happily trade in all the time I played on this game (which is quite a lot) for one weekend of SWG.

You need to fix this erroneous judgement. It is not valid.

I have no interest in player housing or huge planets with large empty spaces with almost nothing in them worth seeing.

I second that... 100%.. SWG environment, economy, housing, tailoring, crafting... with SWTOR combat / class / skills... Awesome. No matter what all other people say. Awesome.

I could go for the SWG environment of large regions so long as there is something to them and not rolling hills of nothing.

Everything else from SWG: NO.

• Economy was easily monopolized in SWG.
  • Housing turned "lush" worlds into the suburb of Cairo.
  • Tailoring... Just another form of crafting in SWG honestly.

I loved my houses, and player city in SWG. I also loved to wander about planets taking readings on crating materials, and then building my gathering equipment on a hotspot. Personal vendors is sorely missed, and so is seeing the wares of some truly epic crafters.

The swg space combat mechanic was awesome, but the missions were not. The multitude of ships was great, but the parts system was way wrong.

I REALLY miss the appearance tab, the tons of styles you could wear, and armor dyes.

I liked the random spawns in swg, and the mission terminals...on planets, not space.

NGE beastmaster, and pet /mount crafting was wonderful.

I only played NGE, but I liked it a lot.

I have no interest in player housing or huge planets with large empty spaces with almost nothing in them worth seeing.

Whats interesting to me is that your signiture says your 80% explorer, and yet you dont seem to enjoy exploring.

Whats interesting to me is that your signiture says your 80% explorer, and yet you dont seem to enjoy exploring.

People dream of exploring the Amazon because of what they may find, new plants, animals, ancient civilizations...

Last I checked, not very many people have dreamed of exploring the Sahara Desert.

If your talking about all of SWG being in SWTOR, then no because that would make this a COMPLETELY different game.

If your talking about some features...it depends.

I really don't know considering the fact i never really played SWG but my parents did pre-cu so i can't really judge

I say keep the dash of SWG. The only thing that SWG proves is that no matter how horrible of a game a dev makes, there will always be some people that think it was greatest. I even heard someone talking up shadowbane this week lol

People dream of exploring the Amazon because of what they may find, new plants, animals, ancient civilizations...

Last I checked, not very many people have dreamed of exploring the Sahara Desert.

indeed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_exploration

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/africa/explore/sahara/sahara_topography_lo.html

http://www.eduplace.com/kids/hmsc/3/d/cricket/cktcontent_3d83.shtml

You clearly do not know of what you speak. However I had alot of fun exploring Yavin, Endor, Dantooine, etc etc. Finding rare animals to tame, hunting force sensitives for holocrons, finding that wandering Gorax and getting your guild to come otu and help you kill it. Awesome. I also hid in those wilds when I got my jedi so that BH would have a harder time finding me. And thats the thing, You could literally hide out there and evade would be persuers. It was as close to an actual world as I have yet to see in an MMO.

Why would SWTOR be the Sahara (with a bit of SWG in it)?

Well the technical answer is those figures are developed from the Bartle Test of Gamer Psychology.

http://www.gamerdna.com/quizzes/bartle-test-of-gamer-psychology

I do enjoy exploring, and have within SWTOR. Often when I get to a new planet I wind up completing the maps before I really get into the missions. But I enjoy exploring interesting and fully-developed areas. Having a bunch of meaningless fractal-generated landscape just for the sake of being able to head in a direction and leave it running for 2 hours doesn't interest me.

I do not believe that any development house could have put everything that BioWare put into this game AND build out full open planets for every single one of the included planets, without ballooning their development budget even more than it already was, or by the time it was launched.

Remember, this is the post I made that you were responding to:

In another thread I have suggested having ONE or perhaps TWO end-game planets that were fully formed with resources all over them and randomized mission areas that could be stumbled upon that might change from day to day. But I would rather they put all of their efforts into that one or two planets, not trying to make every single planet in the game a full world. You wind up with a bunch of watered down automated landscapes rather than a truly crafted globe.

And there are other planets like Tatooine where by lore, most of the planet is supposed to be uninhabitable anyway. So that doesn't make sense as a full planet either.

So no, I don't expect full planets everywhere, and never did. If they can squeeze one or two in I think it would be great, but I'd also rather see them just maybe open up Alderaan planet-wide. And I do believe that's possible... but I doubt it would be ready for another 2-3 years, if it was done right.

How great would that be, if the gameplay, story and systems exsisted in a SWG like galaxy with massive free roaming planets, player houseing, full space combat and open world and space pvp? It would be sick.

That's what I expected this to be. That's what everyone sort of expected this to be. That, coupled with all the voice acting and cut-scenes. This was supposed to be THE game. What we were given, however, is an unfinished, unevolved WoW clone. I would happily trade in all the time I played on this game (which is quite a lot) for one weekend of SWG.

That was the original post I was responding to. Those players expected that from launch. And that is just nonsense IMHO considering everything else that has been jammed into this game. This was NOT a realistic expectation, in my judgement.

Edited by Kubernetic

I remember crafting my own lightsabers for my Jedi in SWG. Finding all the rare materials and hauling them back to my underground bunker. 2 storys underground I had my special Crafting Station. I crafted my own unique lighsabers there, gave them names and stuff (you actually could name your lightsabers). Oh yes, it was most awesome.

I felt more like a Jedi in SWG than I do in SWTOR, even with the storyline. I dunno why. I feel like everything in the world of SWTOR is too "simple". When I play SWTOR i get tired and burned out very fast, because its too BORING! I hope SWTOR is the last in the line of these type of MMOs to come out because my dog seems to be playing them more than me. Its freaking my friends out.

God no, star wars galaxies was a piece of ****, if it was any good it wouldn't be in the **** gutter with the matrix online.

This is an ignorant post because the only reason SWG is gone is becase this game started... Otherwise it would still be going.

I could go for the SWG environment of large regions so long as there is something to them and not rolling hills of nothing.

Everything else from SWG: NO.

• Economy was easily monopolized in SWG.
  • Housing turned "lush" worlds into the suburb of Cairo.
  • Tailoring... Just another form of crafting in SWG honestly.

I played SWG since Dec 2003 up until it shutdown and the highlighted part was what I hated the most about the game. The player city thing was a huge failure in my opinion because of that. Tatooine was supposed to be a barren wasteland, yet you walked into a house or harvestor every 5 feet. That **** was stupid.

How great would that be, if the gameplay, story and systems exsisted in a SWG like galaxy with massive free roaming planets, player houseing, full space combat and open world and space pvp? It would be sick.

To me that would pretty much be the 'Holy Grail' of MMO's. If someone can successfully combine the story driven questing of SWTOR with the freedom of a sandbox world they would be on a to a winner.

It would be called...an MMO. Which, sadly, SWTOR is not.

I played SWG since Dec 2003 up until it shutdown and the highlighted part was what I hated the most about the game. The player city thing was a huge failure in my opinion because of that. Tatooine was supposed to be a barren wasteland, yet you walked into a house or harvestor every 5 feet. That **** was stupid.

I quit when the NGE hit, and came back to a free week thing. Our whole 300+ person village, spaceport, cantina, bases, etc was gone. It was depressing, that was a lot of time and memories. The ge had a lot of flaws yes, but the sense of achievement when you finally got that visit from the Old Man stays with you for a longtime. But yet I know some memories are rose tinted as it was my first MMO.