Imagine SWTOR with a dash of SWG

Omg this is not and never will be swg... I played swg it sucked and im a huge sw fan. This is a completely new game amd is different. Let go of the past and enjoy the new game. If you dont like it then leave!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWG was pretty much one of the greatest MMOs until Sony got greedy and dumbed it down for the WoW crowd. That's when it died.

This game is pretty much marketed to the lowest common denominator, just like WoW.

I don't know if they will be able to fix everything that is wrong with this game before it goes on life-support.

I saw pretty much the exact same thing happen on Warhammer Online.

so sick of companies making **** for derps ;_; the mmo genre is dead for the skilled player

Awesome, yet another post from a SWG vet who wishes this game was going to be SWG2.

I dunno about you but I never expected this game to be anything like SWG. and I too am a SWG vet, except I threw that game in the garbage where it belonged when they pulled the bait and switch with the NGE.

I expected SWTOR would follow the themepark MMO formula with Bioware style storytelling. I pretty much got what I was expecting, then again I actually read what they devs said when talking about the game. I didn't base all my expectations off what people came up with in threads on this forum.

Let's leave SWG where it belongs, in the MMO Graveyard.

whats funny is, SWG lasted for a decade, It died, but not quickly, and even with soe screwing up things, it still persisted, primarily because of the world it had. I have to assume u were too young ot have played that one.

simply lasting is not success!

UO is still going to this day, no one calls it successful after the first 2 years of existance!

The Realms is still going to this very day! 3rd MMORPG ever made. You probably havent even heard of it!

Simply lasting is not what players or companies are looking for

Ohhhh so now we calling names? Classy! Real Classy!

Oh and for your information (holds up pinky finger) See that, that is how much you know compared to me on this genre. I been around since the very first MMORPG, muds galor before that, probably beta tested and alpha tested more MMORPGs then you knew existed.

And none of that changes the fact that SWG was a dead game and veiwed as a huge failure numbers wise after the intial box sales (which were good. Box sales great, subscription after first month...not so much)

Stop talking about what you clearly have no clue on.

You likeing a game doesnt make it successfull or popular long term.

Omg this is not and never will be swg... I played swg it sucked and im a huge sw fan. This is a completely new game amd is different. Let go of the past and enjoy the new game. If you dont like it then leave!

What in the world are you talking about. did you even read my post???

Honestly at first I wanted this game to be nothing like SWG. But after my first character here got to Tatooine the nostalgia hit :( in Anchorhead the scout trainer was secretly my Jedi trainer in SWG lol That's when I started missing that old game

simply lasting is not success!

UO is still going to this day, no one calls it successful after the first 2 years of existance!

The Realms is still going to this very day! 3rd MMORPG ever made. You probably havent even heard of it!

Simply lasting is not what players or companies are looking for

Ohhhh so now we calling names? Classy! Real Classy!

Oh and for your information (holds up pinky finger) See that, that is how much you know compared to me on this genre. I been around since the very first MMORPG, muds galor before that, probably beta tested and alpha tested more MMORPGs then you knew existed.

And none of that changes the fact that SWG was a dead game and veiwed as a huge failure numbers wise after the intial box sales (which were good. Box sales great, subscription after first month...not so much)

Stop talking about what you clearly have no clue on.

You likeing a game doesnt make it successfull or popular long term.

I didnt call you a name, but clearly your very sensitive. As for your knowlege, since you have no Idea who I am, your statement is invalid. Furthermore, making such statements about someone elses qualifications shows ignorance. I am a developer who has worked on MMOs for a very long time. But you wouldnt know that unless you knew me. Lastly I do not, and never suggested, that this game should have been SWG2. I simply suggested that many of the features that made the SWG univserse come to life would be a real benefit in this game which as we all know is pretty lacking as far as vastness goes.

At any rate I think you just need to calm down. Make sure you read and also understand the OP before coming in and losing your temper.

SWG was pretty much one of the greatest MMOs until Sony got greedy and dumbed it down for the WoW crowd. That's when it died.

This game is pretty much marketed to the lowest common denominator, just like WoW.

I don't know if they will be able to fix everything that is wrong with this game before it goes on life-support.

SWG, one year into its existance was one of the worst, and most unfinished games ever released.

There was 1 mission. Go to point X and kill spawning badguys till the nest went away. That was it.

The "free roaming worlds" were vast wastelands with nothing in them.

"Player housing" was scores of abandoned buildings scattered all over.

"Battlegrounds" did not work at all. Attempting to enter them booted you out with a "not yet implemented" message.

PvP was so broken, that a fight rarely lasted beyond 5 seconds.

Space combat was not implemented.

90% of players were chasing Jedi-ness and changing classes daily.

It was a complete and total piece of junk that never should have been released in the form it was.

SWTOR is not a perfect game but the rose colored glasses reminiscing by SWG players is laughable to those of us who were in SWG at the start.

no, getting sick of all the people who want to turn this game into SWG.... if i wanted to play that game i would have, and since i did not want to, i play this game instead

You didnt read the OP. I never suggested turning it into SWG. Its hard to go and read that first post I know. Its MUCH easier to just assume I wrote that this shoudl have been SWG. The Title though kind of says it all doesnt it? SWTOR with a dash of SWG. Do you think that means this game should be SWG2?

Well Its ok, I now know that you most likely are just posting nonsense and havent bothered to read the actual post or maybe not even look at the title. Ill keep that in mind in the future.

SWG, one year into its existance was one of the worst, and most unfinished games ever released.

agreed

There was 1 mission. Go to point X and kill spawning badguys till the nest went away. That was it.

Or some variation. They also had a lair killing quest. Iether way it was quite dull.

The "free roaming worlds" were vast wastelands with nothing in them.

Untrue, while no quests were in many areas, there was much to be found. I enjoyed hunting krayt dragons with 20 of my pals. The pearls were great for lightsaber construction.

"Player housing" was scores of abandoned buildings scattered all over.

untrue, the first several years the game had a halfway descnet population. My server, Gorath, is what you might call a standard population. ONe of the things I enjoyed was going into peoples opened houses where they had vendors. You just never knew what some crafter might have made. Finding that perfect carbine in some remote shop was a distinct possibility. Then slicing it and saving it for just the right encounter.

"Battlegrounds" did not work at all. Attempting to enter them booted you out with a "not yet implemented" message.

There was no such thing, I have no idea what your talking about. Battleground?? That concept isnt something I encountered until WoW. In fact SWG didnt have instances originally, and whent hey finally got them, they were jury rigged. This makes me wonder if you played.

PvP was so broken, that a fight rarely lasted beyond 5 seconds.

this sent up a red flag for me, because PvP was very long in vanilla SWG. The combat system used a queue for abilities and each ability took some amount of time to activate. Combat was actually veyr long and painful and pretty clumsy. I woudl go so far as to say combat in SWG was of secondary importance to the developers of that game, because so much seemed to go into dynamic systems like harvesting, mob spawning, and the ad lib mission terminal. I suspect you might not have played this game.

Space combat was not implemented.

true

90% of players were chasing Jedi-ness and changing classes daily.

untrue. In order to crack Jedi you had to do 3 professions. the 3 were random. each profession took several days to finish, if you grinded really hard. Weeks was more likely. I did 31 professions to unlock mine. it took months. It was a grind fest. I didnt change daily, but that would have been nice.

It was a complete and total piece of junk that never should have been released in the form it was.

I cant really say I agree here. It had alot of problems but I played for years. It was very engaging, and honestly the world itself was so well done that I was able to ignor the crappy combat and quest systems just because a dynamic world offered so much.

SWTOR is not a perfect game but the rose colored glasses reminiscing by SWG players is laughable to those of us who were in SWG at the start.

Maybe you were there, maybe you werent. You are certainly suspect. your knowlege of the game is somewhat.... lacking.

responses in red

Edited by Nebachadnezzer

God no, star wars galaxies was a piece of ****, if it was any good it wouldn't be in the **** gutter with the matrix online.

Don't you just love this stuff? I mean before TOR came out EVERYONE said how terrible SWG is, how it was killed years ago and they are just playing to kill time waiting for TOR. Now TOR sucks and SWG was SOOOOO awesome. :rolleyes:

That's what I expected this to be. That's what everyone sort of expected this to be. That, coupled with all the voice acting and cut-scenes. This was supposed to be THE game. What we were given, however, is an unfinished, unevolved WoW clone. I would happily trade in all the time I played on this game (which is quite a lot) for one weekend of SWG.

Maybe SOE should have not pulled the plug so fast.....

That's what I expected this to be. That's what everyone sort of expected this to be. That, coupled with all the voice acting and cut-scenes. This was supposed to be THE game. What we were given, however, is an unfinished, unevolved WoW clone. I would happily trade in all the time I played on this game (which is quite a lot) for one weekend of SWG.

honestly i never expected it to be anything like SWG, considering they stated early in development it was not a sandbox game, and used a class based system (That alone removes any chance of it be remotely like swg). When space combat was announced it was stated that it was just a rail shooter minigame (Also removing the expectation of SWG's flight sim)

As for expectations of the game being good. Bioware has always been known for linear gameplay with no effort placed on balance. Combine this with the announcement of the EA buyout in early game development. Crippled any real chance it had. As EA's development cycles do not allow reasonable quality control. Most aspects are rushed to meet a preset development deadline with focus on quick returns from initial box sells, insted long term success.

The EA buyout also has caused bioware to hemorrhage talent, most of the major developers/designers/writers working for bioware have resigned and moved on to other studio's. What you have now consists of second rate romance novelist's, designers fresh out of the art institute and all the coding and modeling outsourced to the lowest bidding contractor in india (outsource directors are listed in the credits btw).

Maybe I missed the part where they said its going to be a sandbox with story, because as far as i am aware they never did, and actively went the other way by stating time and time again that it wouldnt be SWG with story.

While SWG has some elements people enjoyed, and could possibly see added in a different

Though when I played SWG after the last Devs finally added content, much of the talk between players was imagine if SWG had launched with content and the freedoms it had, and people were enthusiastic about that.

I wouldnt be surprised if elements you may have found in SWG make their way into TOR, like every game you can imagine just about anything making its way into it if you liked the feature enough.

responses in red

I quit SWG right before the Lightspeed expansion.

There was these large mission zones for lack of a better term that were supposed to be essentially repeating Reb vs Imp battles. They looked like large fenced in areas. I called them "battlezones", I don't know what they officially were called. They may have removed them completely.

Buying from player vendors was an exercise in frustration. There was probably an 80% chance that the person who advertised on the SWG version of the GTN had quit playing and there was nothing in their abandoned shop (that you just spent an hour travelling to) to buy.

When I left PvP was a mess. First bountyhunters killed everyone they shot at almost instantly because their flamethrowers had no countering armor. Then they added uber fire defence to armor, negating the flamethrower completely. Then eyeshot became instant-kill because there was no helmet that protected against it, then they add a helmet, completely negating eyeshot. Then fencers could knock anyone down and kill them in 2 or 3 moves before they added something to negate that. etc. etc.

I assume they fixed some of this stuff, there's no way they game could have lasted as long as it did if they hadn't.

Maybe I missed the part where they said its going to be a sandbox with story, because as far as i am aware they never did, and actively went the other way by stating time and time again that it wouldnt be SWG with story.

While SWG has some elements people enjoyed, and could possibly see added in a different

Though when I played SWG after the last Devs finally added content, much of the talk between players was imagine if SWG had launched with content and the freedoms it had, and people were enthusiastic about that.

I wouldnt be surprised if elements you may have found in SWG make their way into TOR, like every game you can imagine just about anything making its way into it if you liked the feature enough.

some people might have thought that, I expected it would be wow with a star wars skin. It wasnt really that either. SWTOR is its own beast. I like it and plan to play it for a while. I generally dont play an mmo for 6 months if i dont like it. Honestly it has alot of things I wish SWG had had. which got me to thinking and was the reason for this post. A solid game like SWTOR, but instead of being built ONLY on rails, but the rails into a evolving dymanic world. Similar to that of SWG.

I suspect less people would be concerned about end game if the game outside the story raisl was evlolving. In fact I understand GW2 has a dymanic world system. I havent played it but from what I read they accmplished "some" of what SWG tried to do with thier dynamic mission terminals. Immagine SWTOR with a dash of dynamic content.

How great would that be, if the gameplay, story and systems exsisted in a SWG like galaxy with massive free roaming planets, player houseing, full space combat and open world and space pvp? It would be sick.

That's what I expected this to be. That's what everyone sort of expected this to be. That, coupled with all the voice acting and cut-scenes. This was supposed to be THE game.

Yeah that is pretty much it exactly. I think what most people wanted was exactly this. SWG with more story, a bit more organization, and actual content.

I'm very annoyed that they disregarded SWG entirely instead of taking what actually worked about it and kept people around.

The funny thing is, the same exact thing occured to UO when SWG was in development. Every time the next big thing is right around the corner, publishers flip out and demand developers attempt to emulate games that haven't even been tested, much less finished. The end result is poorly-thought-out dribble forced upon us so that "our" content beats "theirs" to the shelves, because that's typically what really matters to them.

Yeah that is pretty much it exactly. I think what most people wanted was exactly this. SWG with more story, a bit more organization, and actual content..

Yeah don't include me with that general statement, as far as I am concerned (and most people besides a very vocal small minority of people that actually liked SWG, if this game was like it I would not be playing it.

Funny how rose colored glasses are applied to games that have passed away, I guess it is the same with anything that dies.

Rose colored glasses have nothing to do with the crap this game is.

SWG was released nearly a decade ago, and even in it's unfinished state, it was a better game at launch than this game will ever be.

And no, subscription count has nothing to do with the game's quality. See WoW.

Edited by Zyillo

I recently played SWG on one of the private servers. I'd say that Tatooine and Hoth in SWTOR are arguably at least as big as the planets in SWG, if not bigger. AND they actually have stuff in them.

Having said that, there are certain elements I enjoyed in SWG. All in all though, SWTOR is a much better game in my opinion.

Yeah that is pretty much it exactly. I think what most people wanted was exactly this. SWG with more story, a bit more organization, and actual content.

I'm very annoyed that they disregarded SWG entirely instead of taking what actually worked about it and kept people around.

Those people must have been living in on different planet. It was obvious from early days that SW:TOR was not going to "SWG with more story". The pre-release video clearly show it's a holy trinity design game.

Bioware are well within their rights to disregard everything SWG had and develop the game they wanted.

With a estimated production of $200m do you really think they could take the chance and fail ?

If someone gave you a few a million to make an MMO would play it safe and release something profitable or risk it and see if the game fails with you owing millions ? I don't see anyone investinging millions being willing to take a risk.

Edited by EzoEo

so true.. if they released this a year ago we would probably still have SWG as I do not think they are competing genres.