Imagine SWTOR with a dash of SWG

I'd kill for SWG crafting in SWTOR. Thew current system blows. RNG is a horrible way to get minute amounts of mats reliably.

Also..Teras Kasi Master.

I looooved the crafting in SWG kept me hooked for years with my cooking, own shop in a big freaking player controlled town and a jedo toon on top of that with alot of world PvP and late night baseslicing, i really miss that good old days.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quit SWG right before the Lightspeed expansion.

There was these large mission zones for lack of a better term that were supposed to be essentially repeating Reb vs Imp battles. They looked like large fenced in areas. I called them "battlezones", I don't know what they officially were called. They may have removed them completely.

nothing could be placed in there, including player housing... they were utterly useless from launch until after the NGE... then that is where SOE put the pvp bases where the 2 factions could fight for it and get pvp health packs... they were on corellia, naboo, and talus... they were actually fun for awhile but as everything they get boring...

Buying from player vendors was an exercise in frustration. There was probably an 80% chance that the person who advertised on the SWG version of the GTN had quit playing and there was nothing in their abandoned shop (that you just spent an hour travelling to) to buy.

after CU (i think), they made it so that all private vendor's would also list on the entire galaxy's vendors... you still had to go pick it up from the shop, but you could be on a different planet and still see their item for sale... was a good idea... if swtor made the player owned ship vendor for both factions instead of neutral, it would be a similar good idea... but as of right now, they are pretty useless...

When I left PvP was a mess. First bountyhunters killed everyone they shot at almost instantly because their flamethrowers had no countering armor. Then they added uber fire defence to armor, negating the flamethrower completely. Then eyeshot became instant-kill because there was no helmet that protected against it, then they add a helmet, completely negating eyeshot. Then fencers could knock anyone down and kill them in 2 or 3 moves before they added something to negate that. etc. etc.

ya chasing the ever elusive pvp balance... you forgot the aoe mind poisons and diseases even though doctors could only single cure them one at a time...

I assume they fixed some of this stuff, there's no way they game could have lasted as long as it did if they hadn't.

swg was my first and fave mmo but making alpha jedi killed that game... as soon as they released holocrons, the economy was shot, and everyone was off to grind holocron professions instead of playing the game...

Edited by wessik

I think what makes it so successful (financially and subscription wise), is they understand that they are the game developers, meaning they need to create the game, and make it so players play through the specific content that they worked on and expect the players to do.

That sort of thinking allows the developers the freedom to do exactly what they want, instead of worrying too much about what the player wants. Gamers could take that as a good or a bad thing, but it does allow game developers a few freedoms, such as:

• Allows the game developer to have more control over everything the player does, which may sound like a bad thing, but in WoW's case, it worked. (I mean financially and subscription wise. I don't mean everybody in the whole world liked it.)
  • I agree that I don't really think this game is truly "player-driven" beyond our subscription funding the game, but making an MMO "developer-driven" or a "theme park MMO" some people call it, allows a developer to add more focused content, without having to worry too much about player decisions.
  • Allows a developer to add more single-player content. More single-player content equals a lot more people playing, equals a lot more money. Not as many people played MMO's prior to WoW because they like playing by themselves. SWTOR allows that.

Basically I think the difference between a "player-driven" MMO and a "developer-driven" MMO is that in a "player-driven" MMO, developers create a lot more content that can't be done on your own. All the way from killing regular mobs to buying gear, even just traveling somewhere requires help sometimes. It requires a community to get things done, it doesn't make community an option. "Developer-driven" MMO's are the opposite. Developers create a lot more content that can be done on your own.

I like this game. If the whole game was stuff like the rakghoul plague, where in order to finish certain quests you have to stand in a circle jerk and wait twenty minutes to infect other people, respawn, do it again....... meh. I think what I loved so much about the rakghoul plague was that it was a short-term player-driven experience within a game that isn't player-driven. Meaning it was different! It added an edge, and it was awesome. But if that was the whole game, nah. I'm out.

Edited by SaintForHire
Hotfix!

SWG was pretty much one of the greatest MMOs until Sony got greedy and dumbed it down for the WoW crowd. That's when it died.

This game is pretty much marketed to the lowest common denominator, just like WoW.

I don't know if they will be able to fix everything that is wrong with this game before it goes on life-support.

I saw pretty much the exact same thing happen on Warhammer Online.

That decision was actually made by LucasArts, not SOE.

When WoW boomed, it was both wonderful and terrible for the MMO community. MMOs up until WoW were always niche markets. WoW made them mainstream, but also "set the standard" Which is ridiculous because NOTHING in WoW was new or unprecedented; they just took all the good aspects from popular games and designed their game around those good concepts.

Oh god I want SWG 2 so badly.... I swear I would pay for that forever, twice the sum of the TOR subscription. How could LucasArts trash all of the SWG concept, it's such an incredibly wrong path they took. WoW is not the answer... :( Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

How great would that be, if the gameplay, story and systems exsisted in a SWG like galaxy with massive free roaming planets, player houseing, full space combat and open world and space pvp? It would be sick.

I was saying that as far back as 2008 on the old forums. Naturally, no one listened.

But, of course, it would be brilliant. Why games makers can't see how sandbox and theme park can work together is beyond me.

I was saying that as far back as 2008 on the old forums. Naturally, no one listened.

But, of course, it would be brilliant. Why games makers can't see how sandbox and theme park can work together is beyond me.

EXACTLY THIS.

Some people just do not get the fact that sandbox environments are downwards compatible to every themepark fluff you want. flashpoints, warzones, operations, voice acted stories.. it all would work in a non static giant cross server universe equally well. I very seldom call people stupid, but being against sandbox concepts is...simply stupid, plus uninformed. :rolleyes:

By the way THE SECRET WORLD ... first sandbox themepark hybrid.. loved the beta.. LOVED IT. Already preordered... May 11, "Everything is True"...

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

How great would that be, if the gameplay, story and systems exsisted in a SWG like galaxy with massive free roaming planets, player houseing, full space combat and open world and space pvp? It would be sick.

Too bad not enough people played SWG for it to keep it's doors open. Bad choices near launch caused lots of people to quit... wait that is happening here. I guess we do have a little SWG in SWTOR after all.

That's what I expected this to be. That's what everyone sort of expected this to be. That, coupled with all the voice acting and cut-scenes. This was supposed to be THE game. What we were given, however, is an unfinished, unevolved WoW clone. I would happily trade in all the time I played on this game (which is quite a lot) for one weekend of SWG.

No we didn't, We all knew it was going to be a theme park MMO not a sandbox years before it came out.

I would like some aspects of SWg but most of it was terrible and broken, combat based of buffs not skill, bugs from day one that lasted 8 years, unbalanced and broken classes.

People forget the mess that was SWG before it got scrapped.

Edited by Kanharn

Too bad not enough people played SWG for it to keep it's doors open. Bad choices near launch caused lots of people to quit... wait that is happening here. I guess we do have a little SWG in SWTOR after all.

Namely the developers who wrecked SWG are on Bioware's payroll instead of the SWG devs who came late in the game and tried (respectfully well, I might add) to salvage Sony's blunder in to a decent, but still very niche, game.

hello Tiek, what is your ideal concept of player housing? don't know EQ2...

Housing in EQ2, which would probably be more fitting for this game, involved instances. Several players with houses would use the same door, but get in to a different instance. Think of them sort of like apartments in existing cities instead of in-world housing.

I think a mix of the two might be good, with the in-world housing kept limited to certain areas or having a high upkeep cost (Perhaps player cities as a guild perk?). Alternatively an instanced "Neighborhood" approach to mix the two systems.

Edited by Bluerodian

SWG before the CU destruction of the game was captivating. Simple fact is the game was great at one time and the CU killed it. I really thought this would be more like SWG and less like WOW.

Whats up with all you people saying "SWG was crap, I left after the NGE". The NGE was in 2005. The game lasted 7 years after the NGE. I feel sorry for all you people who didnt really give SWG a chance. I played SWG through all its stages on and off. SWG was HUGE in all aspects. The only true sandbox MMO that was ever released. You will never ever experience an MMO like that again. Pity, because all the other MMOs out there are exactly the same as each others nowadays. The dumbed down, easy accesible, lets get the wife, kids and grandparents to come play aswell MMOs is all you will find.

What happened to the MMOs where you created your own unique looking character, followed your own story that was created by CHANCE and not some pre-made "You are the Invincible Hero" story that EVERYONE else has done. What happened to going out exploring or hunting and bringing something back from these journeys to keep as tokens or memorandums. As if it were a real interactive world and not some copypasted BS with static mobs whose sole purpose is to generate XP when you are at a certain level. I guess Im a dying breed.

SWG was the best game i ever played, prior to the NGE, but even after the NGE i feel I could still do more things than i can in SWTOR. I could play all day and not do any combat at all. The first year i played swg i didn't even leave Tatooine, because i didn't know i could leave the planet. But that was ok because there was so much to do. I can't say the same thing for SWTOR. So far my experience with swtor is that it's pretty much all about combat. the story, wz, flashpoints, etc are all about combat. go over there and kill so many soldiers and then go back talk to that person, make light/dark decision, etc. I like combat, but for maybe an hour, then i don't want to do combat anymore.

In SWG all the items, furniture, weapons, armor, clothing, houses, droids/pets, speeders, etc were created by the players. In SWTOR it seems that BW makes everything. Decay was essential for the economy. In SWTOR you can simply pay so many credits to repair all items at any vendor. That is not the kind of decay that swg had but it works for the kind of game that SWTOR is because SWTOR isn't really player driven. In SWTOR i feel that the planets need to be more for the players and not leveled theme planets with paths that you go down to do story and missions. and once your done with the story/missions on that planet you will not return to that planet because it is for a certain level that you have now passed. is there a good reason to go back to Hutta. i can't see one.

I loved it in swg when i bought my first house from a player vendor and plopped it down on tatooine. I was able to decorate my house with furniture, pets, and items that i won, like the hero of tatooine sculpture. I put a harvester outside and a fusion generator. In SWTOR they say that your ship is your house, but i don't know why they say that. I can't decorate my ship and there is nothing in the game to decorate my ship with. I can't move anything around on my ship. Even the companions are stationary and say some random comment when i click on them. i can't even give them a companion gift when im on the ship. in swtor my ship is the most boring place to be. IMO i feel that BW can greatly expand the planet environments to allow for player housing so that you still have the theme part of the planet, but outside of that you have player environment. so win, win.

The character customization in SWG was far more complex. I could move the nose up and down, eyes, mouth. i could change the body type by a scale. in SWTOR there are set face types. and yes it has happened a few times already, in the game, where im standing next to another player that looks exactly like me in the face and body type. Also in swg i could change my character customization once i was in the game. I don't think you can change your face/body type in SWTOR, once you're in the game. and because of this i will not choose miraluka because im positive that i will get tired of the set mask type.

Don't get me wrong. I love SWTOR! I think it does have a better combat system than SWG had and better PVP, and better graphics. The story (voice over) is awesome! But I feel it is only a small fraction of an mmorpg. I also like the companions, with hopeful improvement to their AI. The best thing I like about SWTOR is that there is a lot of potential with the game. BW is always talking about new things they will implement. and BW seems to listen to their players. Something SOE failed at. I hope BW takes after SWG when it comes to other things to do in a game besides combat, with a better crafting system player driven economy, player housing, and better character customization.

Couldn't agree more....

Edited by Akhenateen

Rose colored glasses have nothing to do with the crap this game is. .

Then why not just unsubscribe, I mean if the game isn't doing it for you, you always have the choice to move on...

I mean I keep reading all these posts about SWG and this game should be more like it, and even SWG's developers have been quoted as saying the game was really bad. I mean yeah, it had some cool things like making your own house etc, but besides that, it was a pretty boring game. Even with all the bugs this game has since launch, it has been alot more fun to play then SWG ever was. Besides the crafters, and the people that seemed to like dancing in the cantina's it was just one big grief fest.

That's what I expected this to be. That's what everyone sort of expected this to be. That, coupled with all the voice acting and cut-scenes. This was supposed to be THE game. What we were given, however, is an unfinished, unevolved WoW clone. I would happily trade in all the time I played on this game (which is quite a lot) for one weekend of SWG.

What utter bs. When during the 7 years of development did BioWare ever say this would be the second coming of SWG? You expected this to be the second coming of SWG despite the evidence to the contrary...that's called delusion. Now I suspect you're complaining because SWTOR didn't live up to your delusional fantasy. That's NOT BioWare's fault. That's YOUR fault.

I knew exactly what this game would be, and it's hit pretty close to the mark. I'm happy.

FFS people, how many times must it be said: Get over SWG already! It's dead and gone.

Edited by Cerion

I wish this game had a pet class i dont want to be the same as everyone else in pre nge we could have 3 pets out at a time and still do good damage there was a lot of freedom with this game it is we gave everyone a pet and they are all the same but some of them are broken. Even after the combat upgrade sony brought up the idea of a Droid commander class at first i was spectical but after a while i was like this could be good. We never got to see such a thing. Best thing was having a rancor pet or kimogila was cool to see what mutations came up to like a 60 point spined rancor. Then those who did not want to go beast master could get a little droid to help out and the droid was cool to with sbd's and bd's and the spider droids. Was a lot of fun any class had the option to be a pet class but it was not forced upon like it is here.

FFS people, how many times must it be said: Get over SWG already! It's dead and gone.

You can keep saying it until you pass out from lack of oxygen. That doesn't mean its going to happen. You might as well try to move a brick wall by screaming at it. Point is, people were and are still passionate about SWG. That sort of thing just doesn't go away, nor is anyone apt to just "get over it" as you would like.

Perhaps instead of trying to get us to get over it, you're the one that needs to get over it and accept that this is going to be a near constant subject for the entire life of TOR.

SWG before the CU destruction of the game was captivating. Simple fact is the game was great at one time and the CU killed it. I really thought this would be more like SWG and less like WOW.

Despite the years and years of press stating it would be like a BioWare game online and NOT SWG: Second Coming, you still believed it would be like SWG? How on Hoth did you arrive at that conclusion?

You can keep saying it until you pass out from lack of oxygen. That doesn't mean its going to happen. You might as well try to move a brick wall by screaming at it. Point is, people were and are still passionate about SWG. That sort of thing just doesn't go away, nor is anyone apt to just "get over it" as you would like.

Perhaps instead of trying to get us to get over it, you're the one that needs to get over it and accept that this is going to be a near constant subject for the entire life of TOR.

Well, guess what? I got over it. I raced the clock in the closing days of SWG: pre-nge to reach Master Creature Handler, despite knowing my class would be eliminated. That was my giant FU to SOE. Nobody was more pissed off than I was, and nobody more devoted. Prior to MCH, I had turned a small fireworks business into a hundred million credit manufacturing empire. I was in JTL alpha/beta; I was one of the many Shipwrights who cornered the market on starter ships, forcing SOE to release a patch giving out free starter ships so people could enjoy JTL.

You SWG Vets have nothing on this vet. I got over it because it's the healthy thing to do. You may be right that it is futile to say others should get over it, but I can't let this unhealthy behavior go without comment.

Edited by Cerion

Oh yes!

I want mobs to spawn on top of me when I stop riding to view the map or chat. Also, I want to be able to run alongside a wall so you lose line of site of me and can't see where I really went! Oh and please let me waste half an hour tracking down some remote building to buy a component I need off some player. Give us 8 rows of buffs, and let players run macros to auto buff people too!

Oh and most importantly, I want a server forum!