Server population is dropping...

Miffy

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of us live in Europe, where practically all of the servers are Light, and remain Light through the day

My posting was in response to the claim that "usa servers all light with handfull of standards that are rp/pve servers." It's clear that concurrent player counts are trending down, but that particular statement is bogus.

My posting was in response to the claim that "usa servers all light with handfull of standards that are rp/pve servers." It's clear that concurrent player counts are trending down, but that particular statement is bogus.

It is only a matter of time.

It is only a matter of time.

I know enough about forecasting not to make predictions unless I am paid to do so. BioWare has acknowledged that player counts are dropping and are rolling out server transfers. This doesn't make the statement "usa servers [are] all light with handful of standards" any more true.

If you believe it is true that the game population is dwindling, why do you have to make up facts to make your case?

not that they need it, but WoW has just implemented cross-realm leveling zones in beta. it would do swtor good if it had something similar.

I think this is something that is good for an OLD game, but since STOR is supposed to be new and fresh, it kinda defeats what they should be doing... condensing servers and bringing in fresh blood.

In WOW, where yea, there are millions of active subs, but in honesty not a lot of people outside of the cities and certainly not a ton of low levels making new characters....but with instance and pvp cross realm, the cross-server leveling area fits as you see the same folks all the time.

In TOR, people would level with others, then be what, dumped off into an empty server. If they do a full cross server pvp, lfg, leveling and heroic mission stuff, then yes it will work.. until then... low pop servers (most of them) will not benefit from this long, or really short term.

Edited by skinthinner

I think this is something that is good for an OLD game, but since STOR is supposed to be new and fresh, it kinda defeats what they should be doing... condensing servers and bringing in fresh blood.

In WOW, where yea, there are millions of active subs, but in honesty not a lot of people outside of the cities and certainly not a ton of low levels making new characters....but with instance and pvp cross realm, the cross-server leveling area fits as you see the same folks all the time.

In TOR, people would level with others, then be what, dumped off into an empty server. If they do a full cross server pvp, lfg, leveling and heroic mission stuff, then yes it will work.. until then... low pop servers (most of them) will not benefit from this long, or really short term.

i think it would somehow address the issue of forming groups for heroics while leveling. unless they make all heroics instanced and can bet setup through a cross-server LFH tool.

i think it would somehow address the issue of forming groups for heroics while leveling. unless they make all heroics instanced and can bet setup through a cross-server LFH tool.

yeah, many of the heroics are instanced.. but there are 'open air' ones that would be hard to do unless they simply open up pairs of servers to simply play together (or chat and invite to group, then jump to their server instance) constantly, which would be a nice way around the horrible lack of finding folks on all but the very highest of populated servers.

Could be nice if they could get the tech going, but I don't hold my breath based on their current timelines and coding ability shown thus far.

This game is going to burn in flames. And it's not because people don't want it to do well. I really had high hopes for this game. I've spend a lot of money and time on/in it.

I REALLY REALLY enjoy the group of "hardcore" pvpers I play with on my server. They are the best guild I've ever played with. I've had so much fun interacting with them on Vent.

However I will not continue to give my money to this game because doing so tells them I'm satisfiend with their product.

Their recent podcast with their WE ARE SO AMAZING attitude just totally lost me. They are so out of touch with their player base it's insane.

I know enough about forecasting not to make predictions unless I am paid to do so. BioWare has acknowledged that player counts are dropping and are rolling out server transfers. This doesn't make the statement "usa servers [are] all light with handful of standards" any more true.

If you believe it is true that the game population is dwindling, why do you have to make up facts to make your case?

IIRC Bioware acknowledged that concurrent playtimes had fallen, semantics maybe, but then they also said that subs were still 1.7m.

You are right about the 'statement' in that that can be measured factually at any point . On the other hand it is true that server populations are declining TorStatus would suggest that the rate of decline is increasing.

From that one could predict that subs are also decreasing or we can stick to the party line and put it down to people playing less

Edited by Sanxxx

yeah, many of the heroics are instanced.. but there are 'open air' ones that would be hard to do unless they simply open up pairs of servers to simply play together (or chat and invite to group, then jump to their server instance) constantly, which would be a nice way around the horrible lack of finding folks on all but the very highest of populated servers.

Could be nice if they could get the tech going, but I don't hold my breath based on their current timelines and coding ability shown thus far.

This would be the best solution IMHO, this way you are not having the trolling issues everyone keeps talking about with a lfg tool, and you can play with people from other servers that you already know.

I find it strange why they can't merge servers right now when they know there's spiderweb on most servers. They would have saved thousand of people unsubbing and A LOT of money. And why the heck didn't they make PvP warzone's across other servers from the start and you could select which warzone you wanted to do and what queue you were in. It would go so much faster and much more fun! Please BW, do something fast ;(

RIP Kinrath

I made the mistake of choosing that as my main server when I first started too.

I rerolled to a more populated server and now that server is on the decline.

I am guessing people are just bored with the game.

How can they expect them not to be bored considering this game is a direct clone of another grind-a-thon game that was out 10yrs ago..........

On the other hand it is true that server populations are declining TorStatus would suggest that the rate of decline is increasing.

This is exactly my point. If all the evidence is that counts are declining, why make up facts like all U.S. servers are light? My theory is that these are players who are disappointed in the game, for whatever reason, and actively want it to fail or obtain some sort of emotional gratification by putting the game down.

Edited by Kthx

This is exactly my point. If all the evidence is that counts are declining, why make up facts like all U.S. servers are light? My theory is that these are players who are disappointed in the game, for whatever reason, and actively want it to fail or obtain some sort of emotional gratification by putting the game down.

Servers are definately light tonight.

Releasing a very buggy boring and broken game that is a super grind with bad graphics will make servers into ghost towns in about 2-3 months once everyone catches on to the developers/games poor quality.

Add to it patch after patch of bugs and broken content and you have another fail mmo.

this games classes are poorly balanced to AND pvps a boring joke......just sayin

Buggy... Bad Graphics... You must be one of those people with a computer that can run WoW right... A game made for yr 2000+ pc's. This game is not going to run on a computer just because it can run WoW. It takes a 2008+ to be able to really play this game, and the graphics in this game are AWESOME. Beats the hell out of any other MMO that i've seen a trailer for, or played.

Buggy... Bad Graphics... You must be one of those people with a computer that can run WoW right... A game made for yr 2000+ pc's. This game is not going to run on a computer just because it can run WoW. It takes a 2008+ to be able to really play this game, and the graphics in this game are AWESOME. Beats the hell out of any other MMO that i've seen a trailer for, or played.

The graphics are fine...in conversations. I play on max settings, and yet whenever I'm not in a conversation the graphics are 10x more muddy and the textures go to crap. The expectation was likely that you wouldn't be looking at your character or textures much outside of conversations...too bad other problems such as server population give me plenty of time to stare at my character. As for bugs, how about the loading screen issue that started recently, wherein you'll get stuck at a loading screen that never loads. Bioware hasn't pinpointed the cause after a week or two now, and the issue is happening to quite a few people; worst of all, it happens completely at random, and there's no indication that doing anything specific in game triggers it. Having to alt+f4 and restart your game two or more times a day is pretty significant.

The graphics are fine...in conversations. I play on max settings, and yet whenever I'm not in a conversation the graphics are 10x more muddy and the textures go to crap. The expectation was likely that you wouldn't be looking at your character or textures much outside of conversations...too bad other problems such as server population give me plenty of time to stare at my character. As for bugs, how about the loading screen issue that started recently, wherein you'll get stuck at a loading screen that never loads. Bioware hasn't pinpointed the cause after a week or two now, and the issue is happening to quite a few people; worst of all, it happens completely at random, and there's no indication that doing anything specific in game triggers it. Having to alt+f4 and restart your game two or more times a day is pretty significant.

Sounds like a computer problem. YOUR computer problem

Sounds like a computer problem. YOUR computer problem

Sounds like a typical excuse that implies nothing is ever Bioware's fault. I'm guessing your graphics are picture perfect and are no different inside or out of a conversation? If you answer that by claiming they're the exact same inside and out, you're blatantly lying: Depth of Field for conversation is a graphics option for a reason.

Used to be 70/30 Std/Light now it's 30/70, looks to me like a lot more than a 'slight decline at best' .

Even then its still the most 14th populated US server.

30% std, and 70% light, AND 14th most POPULATED...

Not looking to good, at all....

*EDIT*

Here is my server, notice the release of 1.2.

http://www.torstatus.net/mind-trick/trends/7d#!/kinrath-spider/trends/60d

Edited by TheMunny