I am angry about the economic exploit.

bheta

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where in the world do people pull these types of statistics from? Kinda silly.

As I explained before, someone reported that their guild member got ~750 million from the exploit. If we assume 5-10 people per server, you get your billions of credits.

I find it hard to get worked up about other people doing stuff that will make them miserable because they'll always be looking over their shoulder and in danger of losing everything when they get caught. It doesn't impact my enjoyment of my game whatever other people have or what other people do.

I blame the console generation that moved into online PC gaming. :rolleyes:

They had cheats there, why not try it in another genre?

Maybe being from a older generation where cheating was one of the lowest things you could do, is why I'm surprised over the rampant cheating (and no, that does not mean the majority but just a significant amount) and the attitudes that seem to come with it.

I would love to see one of these people cheat and get caught in a high stakes private poker game...they better hope the cops are called!

I find it hard to get worked up about other people doing stuff that will make them miserable because they'll always be looking over their shoulder and in danger of losing everything when they get caught. It doesn't impact my enjoyment of my game whatever other people have or what other people do.

Not sure if you're implying that the cheaters will be looking over their shoulders but if so, don't hold your breath.

If they were so worried to begin with, they would have NEVER went through the time and effort to participate in this sort of activity.

The reason why so many people are up in arms (and why it is part of the ToS) is that virtually ALL types of cheating/exploits in a MMO affect ALL players directly or indirectly to varying degrees. Just because you don't see a need to complain or feel that you're not affected isn't a reason to dismiss those calling for permabans and the like. This is a MMO and not a single player game and cheats affect everybody.

Many have posted here why and how cheating and hacks affect the entire player base in a very clear and concise manner which you may not have been following.

Trust me, if other people cheating had no effect on others, this would not even be a topic.

Just to let you know, the last time this happened, bio banned everyone involved and pulled back any money that the players sent through trade or in-game mail.

Some people were making alt accounts and then traded creds to their real account...of course those players were caught as well

Edited by thomasmeadows

The bad thing about exploits is the inflationary effect it has on the prices.

After the exploit is dealt with, it still takes some time for the prices to stabilize near their natural prices. And even so, some items never quite deflate to normal.

it's a f***ing game. If you exploit, you don't care about the game. If they get booted, that's their own stupid fault for doing it.

in all games, exploiting takes away from the game, period.

if you play to cheat, make your own f***ing game and play it by yourself losers.

I never see how reporting someone will benefit you. Play your own game, if people want to use exploits then thats their business. Same with RL. If someones murdered someone then yea, they are a danger to the public and id probably snitch. But other than that its their business unless it directly effects me.

Spoken like a true cheater, they'll find anyway to jusitfy the fact that they are breaking the rules "i'm only ruining my game expeirence no one elses" blah blah blah. If someone is cheating/breaking the rules that WE ALL AGREED To, then they need to be reported end of story.

Spoken like a true cheater, they'll find anyway to jusitfy the fact that they are breaking the rules "i'm only ruining my game expeirence no one elses" blah blah blah. If someone is cheating/breaking the rules that WE ALL AGREED To, then they need to be reported end of story.

Positivism sucks mate.

I'd only report in this specific case due to the inflationary consequences that would get rather hard on my wallet.

Other than that, "laissez faire, laissez aller, laissez passer". Let people do whatever they want (or better, have the wits to do so).

They are not just possible but seemed to be utilized by too many players and BW needs to aggressively punish these pieces of scum.

Read my previous post and you can Google and see what's up for yourself.

I don't doubt the truth of the matter, I'm just concerned with that fact that it's even possible.

You're always going to be able to hack the client, no way around that, but that should only go as far as botting and other client automation goes. If hacking the client allows you to break game rules, which should be tracked and verified on the server side, that implies a very serious design flaw in the game.

To make a comparison: During the time I played WoW there were certainly rampant botting and a number of geometry exploits (certain areas where you could enter the terrain or attack through it) but I've never seen, or even heard of, people being able to circumvent the game rules.

That said I didn't play from the release and it's possible there were such problems in the beginning that were subsequently removed by replacing the relevant server/client system.

It's just that MMOs aren't a new phenomenon at this point, any design should take into consideration the necessary design to make such exploits impossible.

Let people do whatever they want (or better, have the wits to do so).

While I consider myself extremely liberal myself this isn't really a valid comparison.

Your rights end where the next person's begin, that applies to everyone.

The bad thing about exploits is the inflationary effect it has on the prices.

This is only a problem to the extent the credits make it out into the economy. It is not straight forward to take 500 million credits and plow them into the GTN.

As I explained before, someone reported that their guild member got ~750 million from the exploit. If we assume 5-10 people per server, you get your billions of credits.

"Assuming?" And couple that with 1 person's assertion of 750. It's just a big number, and people freak to things like that. Just breeds hysteria.. We know NOTHING other than 1 person made an unsubstantiated forum claim. And I'm not saying it didn't happen.

It's all just such conjecture. Don't want to argue, however, and do I get your overall point.

So someone on the forums can't tell us if his guildmate gets banned? And we sit here having no idea whether or not our already fragile server "economy" has been flooded with an extra 5-10 billion credits at least?

Dude, There is no possible way one person could have made that many credits from the exploit.

"Assuming?" And couple that with 1 person's assertion of 750. It's just a big number, and people freak to things like that. Just breeds hysteria.. We know NOTHING other than 1 person made an unsubstantiated forum claim. And I'm not saying it didn't happen.

It's all just such conjecture. Don't want to argue, however, and do I get your overall point.

It was a big enough problem that BW did a patch this morning to stop it but as you say we really don't know how much of this money was released. If you see some massive inflation on your server you can pretty much assume the worst.

I'm sure some servers will be affected more than others but my guess is that it was the worst on the PvP servers and happened the least on the RP servers but this is merely a hypothesis. I wonder if there would be a way to gather data to look into this.

We will never know the full extent of the 'damage' but it seems that inflation has taken hold on many servers.

Edited by Monave

If hacking the client allows you to break game rules, which should be tracked and verified on the server side, that implies a very serious design flaw in the game.

This would be more disturbing than anything...

Of course, once the GM's see (on their spoofed accounts) the dupes show up on the paid exploit private forums, they have to act. That's when it snowballs.

It's good to know they at least do intelligence on the enemy...

Just to let you know, the last time this happened, bio banned everyone involved and pulled back any money that the players sent through trade or in-game mail.

Some people were making alt accounts and then traded creds to their real account...of course those players were caught as well

Not true. Unfortunately these new improvements to detect cheats with 1.2 just deal with speed hacks etc. This patch deals with an exploit and they don't have tools to deal with it nor will they do anything if the credits are transferred to different characters. The people involved may have simply been honest and reported it and some may have kept quite and moved the credits around. The second scenario Bioware can't really deal with....