The end of the arguement. Is SWTOR in decline? Can it be saved?

Sheff

Oh so you are one of those that must have raid gear but don't plan on raiding huh?

Also we are very much off topic of this thread. My answer to the threads question is "No" & "It does not need saving"

No. Quit assuming.

It's always better to actually have facts at hand rather than make wild assumptions. :) That's what REAL big boys do.

G'night.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Quit assuming.

It's always better to actually have facts at hand rather than make wild assumptions. :) That's what REAL big boys do.

G'night.

Not assuming anything. You just said your money is as good as mine. So if I'm doing something that requires time and effort but you don't have that, you should be entitled to it? Correct me if I am wrong.

Not assuming anything. You just said your money is as good as mine. So if I'm doing something that requires time and effort but you don't have that, you should be entitled to it? Correct me if I am wrong.

The sense of entitlement in this world is absolutely staggering. It's almost sickening really.

They have way more than 500k. I dont know why people keep underestimating the game. They have opened new markets all over the world lately. I woudlnt be surprised to see subs hit upwards of 10 million eventually.

I don't know if they'll get that high but you're right about the global factor people don't mention comparing it to WoW. That game released in Nov 2004, and according to MMOdata blog, the 'western' WoW finally topped 2 million by the end of 2006. In fact, that was right around the time for the game to really become viral, with South Park doing their episode, etc.

I think if Bioware keeps chugging and speeds up their updates to a monthly rate like they said, within a year, there will be enough content to not only satisfy the hard cores, but the casual game hoppers. Time will tell if they do plan on updating often, however. I haven't heard a word about 1.3, but they still have around 2 weeks to go.

People seem to forget this game isn't even 6 months old yet, and are already going around acting like it must be perfect in all aspects of development. The WoW people come here and try to make comparisons to a 7 year old game that had years of fixes and changes plus expansions that added content...

please explain to me why i should be comparing a 7-8 year old game to a game that is coming out now, this game had 7 years to look at other MMO's mistakes and flaws and make sure that does not happen to there game.

there is not one reason i should not compare current wow to this game now because wow is there competition, SWTOR copied WoW so much and yet they did not copy over many of the good aspects of the game, for example dual spec, spells activating instantly but effect does not occur until after animation if finished (knockback for sage/sorc/assassin/shadow, assassin spike, merc tracer missle take up to a second and a half to reach the target at 30m range and does not do damage until the animation has reached the target) the list goes on.

One factor that a lot of people keep missing is that Bioware creates RPG games and they have proven that even with SWTOR. Simple fact is if you don't like RPG's then most likely MMORPG's are not for you but everyone should be welcome to try.

there is not one reason i should not compare current wow to this game now because wow is there competition, SWTOR copied WoW so much and yet they did not copy over many of the good aspects of the game, for example dual spec, spells activating instantly but effect does not occur until after animation if finished (knockback for sage/sorc/assassin/shadow, assassin spike, merc tracer missle take up to a second and a half to reach the target at 30m range and does not do damage until the animation has reached the target) the list goes on.

Perhaps they weren't looking to create a complete WoW-clone set in space? I know they took a lot of the good features of WoW, but being able to look at a game for 7 years does not translate to 8+ years of content development / bug testing / tuning.

The biggest problem with SWTOR is lack of high end content that will come with time. The stuff you mentioned are minor tweaks that new MMO's always adjust with time. In addition, I'm confused by some of it. The tracer missile not doing damage until it hits the target is a problem? Or is there something I'm missing about that? (I don't play a merc so I have no clue).

The biggest problem with SWTOR is lack of high end content that will come with time.

Not a game companies fault that some people have no lives and must get to end game asap on that note it is a game companies problem if they do not know how to spread out their leveling curve but as Bioware is an excellent RPG company, I have no doubt they know what they are doing

Edited by Skidrowbro

please explain to me why i should be comparing a 7-8 year old game to a game that is coming out now, this game had 7 years to look at other MMO's mistakes and flaws and make sure that does not happen to there game.

Because making a MMO is like recreating the wheel. You have to build from the ground up for each one.

well even within the us over the past thirty days server populations are up on average

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats

Everyone speaks of doom but doesn't have any real data

Doom and gloom is on all forums. Rift, WoW, Aion, Warhammer... err wait, Warhammer is doomed. Anyways all games are doomed if they don't compare to WoW. Heck even WoW doesn't compare to WoW anymore :eek:

well even within the us over the past thirty days server populations are up on average

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats

Everyone speaks of doom but doesn't have any real data

I would make an educated guess and say the release of 1.2 and the ingame event had a big-ish impact on the "growing" server numbers. I'd also add that the free 30 days will also keep numbers fairly steady for the next month or so.

Anyway,

Whether the servers are currently in decline or not is irrelevant: the fact is: It will be in decline once the 15th of May hit, and even more so when GW2 eventualy release.

I can only speak for myself and those I know, but here's my prediction:

D3 will take quite a number of subs from SWToR. Whether the loss is permanent is anybodies guess.

GW2 will most probably take fewer subs away. I don't think the games cater for the same audience, so hopefully most of this horrible commutinty will stay just here in SWToR :-P

Now:

Myself and a number of guildies (those still here) will be leaving on the 15th to play D3 untill GW2 release.

If GW2 don't meet expectations, I'm myself not sure whether we'll be back to D3, or SWToR. Somehow I don't think I'll be back though. Maybe a Rift comback :-P All I know is that I can not wait to be outta here.

Have fun peeps!

D3 will take quite a number of subs from SWToR. Whether the loss is permanent is anybodies guess.

GW2 will most probably take fewer subs away. I don't think the games cater for the same audience, so hopefully most of this horrible commutinty will stay just here in SWToR :-P

Now:

Myself and a number of guildies (those still here) will be leaving on the 15th to play D3 untill GW2 release.

If GW2 don't meet expectations, I'm myself not sure whether we'll be back to D3, or SWToR. Somehow I don't think I'll be back though. Maybe a Rift comback :-P All I know is that I can not wait to be outta here.

Have fun peeps!

I highly doubt you and your friends are considered a 'number of subs' to BW.

And to answer your question, no it won't be permanent. Not any more than jobs, getting a girlfriend, week long sessions of Skyrim, and other events pull people away from the game.

Whether you or your guild comes back, it doesn't matter because there will be others to replace you as long as BW doesn't give it the "SOE treatment" (sony online) by pushing a game for 2 months then forgetting it exists.

As of today, I've seen no evidence to the contrary, and as long as their expectations weren't to have 10 million subs within 2 months, they should keep chugging along and doing very well.

Edited by Luceus

Oh but these things should have been in since beta, even though no other MMO ever has. :rolleyes:

Heh, why would a company design a game that is as big as WoW or even EQ when they can make more money off of releasing, you know, expansions lol

Edited by Skidrowbro

120 pages of peole stating various problems with the game. I wonder how you can save that?

There are 1.7 million subscribers. If 0.1% were dissatisfied enough to come here to start complaining, that would be 1,700 people posting...

Why is it that a lot of people think that limiting themselves to one game is their only option?

!

Im not playing GW2 or Tera but can answer your question

Many people (I dare say the mass majority) have time for 1 MMO only. They cant play 2-3 different MMOs and stay with the Jones (which seems to be so important to the new to genre players of the last 7 years).

Myself, I dont care if Im maxed or not, and I have plenty of time available, but I cant seperate my time between two MMOs. I need to focus on one.

A buddy trying to get me to play Aion with him and ive downloaded it and installed it but I just cant pull myself to log in there because im paying for a sub here! Long as I have to pay to play here, why would I diminish my playing time on a different MMO?

Personally speaking, Id rather do one thing properly then 2-3 things half arsed.

Thats why some feel they need to play one title at a time only.