Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

StephenReid

It was interesting and got a few of our absentee guild mates to log back in. I write this as Guild Master of a group of casual players. 15 strong (weak), only about 3 of us on at any given time. Anyways, a lot of these folks (not me, I'm hooked) are probably the ones BW wants to keep logging in to make it a success so I write this from their perspective.

Best Parts

Winning a title was a good idea, and getting a pet. I liked the custom gear and other rewards. Forcing players to cooperate was sweet. Made a lot of new friends and I found myself just helping folks out after I got the codex entries.

Humbly Suggested Improvements

Do not think it was a good idea to remove the vendor immediately. Guild mates are sending me batches of rakghoul DNA still and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this. I liked the custom gear BUT I don't like how I can't send this to other people in my guild (e.g. I have bounty hunter custom gear that I will probably never use that I can't send to one of my guild mates as a reward for helping out).

I understand why you guys went with the daily quests. However, by the time I realized what I had to do to fully make use of the event there was hardly any time for me to do everything and definitely not enough time for the rest of the guild to accomplish much (even though they had interest). I think some people were fairly disappointed at spending an entire night on the game and still not getting a title.

Perhaps less of a hidden series of quests next time and more: if you want this title this is what you have to do (and everything else is a bonus along the way) and try to make sure that players can do this within a reasonable amount of time.

- Arcada

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*The one daily quest per day in that specific questchain shouldn't have been one per day for late starters. You should be able to catch up atleast.

A choice between light, med, and heavy armor would have been nice.

Aside from that ... epic awsomeness.

It was interesting and got a few of our absentee guild mates to log back in. I write this as Guild Master of a group of casual players. 15 strong (weak), only about 3 of us on at any given time. Anyways, a lot of these folks (not me, I'm hooked) are probably the ones BW wants to keep logging in to make it a success so I write this from their perspective.

Best Parts

Winning a title was a good idea, and getting a pet. I liked the custom gear and other rewards. Forcing players to cooperate was sweet. Made a lot of new friends and I found myself just helping folks out after I got the codex entries.

Humbly Suggested Improvements

Do not think it was a good idea to remove the vendor immediately. Guild mates are sending me batches of rakghoul DNA still and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this. I liked the custom gear BUT I don't like how I can't send this to other people in my guild (e.g. I have bounty hunter custom gear that I will probably never use that I can't send to one of my guild mates as a reward for helping out).

I understand why you guys went with the daily quests. However, by the time I realized what I had to do to fully make use of the event there was hardly any time for me to do everything and definitely not enough time for the rest of the guild to accomplish much (even though they had interest). I think some people were fairly disappointed at spending an entire night on the game and still not getting a title.

Perhaps less of a hidden series of quests next time and more: if you want this title this is what you have to do (and everything else is a bonus along the way) and try to make sure that players can do this within a reasonable amount of time.

- Arcada

Well spoken, err ... written. For a first world event though extremely entertaining it was probably a bit involved for some. Many in our guild were so immersed in our class stories that we just didn't have time to galavant the galaxy for DNA samples. Though we did make a killing selling what we had. Shorter and sweeter might be a way to go for awhile, which could allow for more world events to be introduced. At least until more players have maxed characters. Maybe insert the larger ones into a rotation every quarter or so as a "special reserve" vintage?

Overall though the Plague was ingenious as one would see dozens huddled in fleet dancing, sitting and smoldering green. First day of the event my group and I hit the bank in fleet and got infected together, but didn't know anything about it. So after grabbing extra stims & medpacs from the bank we ran Reaper & got to the bridge. Right when we crossed after CCs were applied - our healer exploded, followed by the rest of us. That was a Kodak moment. Vent was full of "what the ... !?! We figured it out and went back to the med droid for some Rakghoul serum.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Hello. I did enjoy the rakghoul outbreaks. Not sure what all the QQ is about - I think you guys did a tremendous job there. As far as wanting for new types of content pertaining toward world events, I would like to see more intrusive base attacks utilizing world bosses w/ minions. Something that can drop multiple class rewards w/ rare items, but would take something upwards of 80 players to effectively down. Preferrably something legacy or pattern related - or even a good sum of credits as per the damage inflicted by each individual's character. This way, "johnny-come-lately" types can't get a lion-share of the credits, but can still walk away with some sort of contributing prize. IE 60 strikes w/ a lightsaber = X damage = 5940 credits for example. Use the combat log of the creature to determine prize catagory by damage done and set several catagory ranks in which the program would generate a prize when looted. So let's say 6 catagories divisible by per 20000 damage done. After 20k, then a different bracket reward from 20k-40k, etc. Creature would be near unbeatable initially, but wouldn't regain health - so there would be imminent defeat. If an individual logs off to change toons, their already contributed strikes would be lost as per log wipe - and they would receive no credit on the creature. This is just a rough idea - so feel free to play with it as you see fit. Am reminded of the Lord Kazzak invasion event from World Of Warcraft just before they released the second expansion.

It was a very fun, enjoyable event, and I had an absolute blast with it. Fun running around with my little crimson Rakghoul pet, too. Any event that involves the addition of little pets is a plus, imo.

Mind you, I'm at end-game. I'm feeling pretty disconnected from my own characters' personal stories. Nothing wrong with the whole "interlude" portion of the game I'm experiencing, mind you. I like running operations in the meantime of additional story-telling.

Still, when you ask what sort of "event" I'd like to see added in the near future, some sort of event that provides an opportunity for some exploration of our own character stories would be amazing. Maybe visiting places or sites pertinent to our companion characters, I don't know. Just something fun and engaging that's more personal in nature, a small bit of companion story maybe, something.

It was fun and interesting. Though personally nothing mind-blowing, still a nice and enjoyable diversion.

What I would like to see is Empire VS Republic events. There is a lot of space on Hoth, for example, to stage a large scale battle.

The Ilum pvp zone is sitting empty at the moment, could also be a great place to plop a truckload of troops there and make it a "Thin the numbers" sort of event.

Alderaan has some possibilities as well, maybe regarding the Kiliks.

It sounded like it was really great. As a fairly new member of the servers, it was mainly watching news reports and fleeing from anyone who smoldered and was "light headed" that I ran into during my story. I'm really looking forward to future events when I have a character that's not still on his first lightsaber.

Best moment (as outsiders) was my 13 yr old announcing "I have to go to Tatooine, do you know if it's safe yet?" And me telling him, "Perfectly safe, says the Sith who doesn't have his own ship yet. Be sure and let me know if I'm wrong."

Now we're speculating about what's next, with my son thinking about his Fury in terms of how you'd repel boarders, and me wondering if the old HK-47 story from KOTOR2 is up next, with droid assasins swarming the galaxy.

Hello everyone! James Ohlen, Game Director for Star Wars: The Old Republic, is looking for your feedback on the game's development once again. This week, with the Rakghoul Plague finally contained, he's looking for feedback on in-game events.

James takes feedback directly via his Twitter account (@JamesOhlen), but if you're not on Twitter, his question is below and you can give your feedback here which will be passed on to him.

As always, we ask you to limit your feedback to the question at hand and keep your feedback constructive as well as on-topic!

Here is James' question for this week:

"The Rakghoul Plague was a very popular event. You’re going to see more surprises like it in the future.

I want to hear your thoughts on why you thought the Rakghoul plague was fun. Also, what kind of stuff would you like to see in the future?"

As a reminder, you can follow James on Twitter @JamesOhlen. You can also follow our main account @SWTOR.

:)

1. It brought the community together somewhat even on this low pop. server

2. Interesting effects upon the Avatars.

3. Rewards were above average.

3.b Without a trade in or unbind on the companion customizations I have too many of several types and only 1 or 2 useable by my Family.

:(

1. It was out of the way, on some backwater planet, not everyone has the time to go out of the way for these things.

2. We aren't all in that group one sample, that seems to make the most noise.

Hello everyone! James Ohlen, Game Director for Star Wars: The Old Republic, is looking for your feedback on the game's development once again. This week, with the Rakghoul Plague finally contained, he's looking for feedback on in-game events.

James takes feedback directly via his Twitter account (@JamesOhlen), but if you're not on Twitter, his question is below and you can give your feedback here which will be passed on to him.

As always, we ask you to limit your feedback to the question at hand and keep your feedback constructive as well as on-topic!

"The Rakghoul Plague was a very popular event. You’re going to see more surprises like it in the future.

I want to hear your thoughts on why you thought the Rakghoul plague was fun. Also, what kind of stuff would you like to see in the future?"

As a reminder, you can follow James on Twitter @JamesOhlen. You can also follow our main account @SWTOR.

Personally, I loved the Rakghoul event for two main reasons. First, it gave me an excuse to return to a planet that I had long since left behind, and it created an exciting atmosphere (including some legit cross-faction cooperation!) while I was there. Second, I liked collecting the loot, or at least trying to.

Which brings me to my only significant complaint. I did not think that the event lasted long enough to structure the daily quests in the manner you chose. I only got in on the event late, and so by dint of your design choice I was unable to experience the final quest, which cost me two pieces of unique gear. If you're going to leave the event open for only a short period of time, you need to give players like me who don't have enough time to run quests every day a shot at still experiencing everything. Allowing the Dailies to all be performed in a single quest chain would have resolved this issue.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the event. In the future, you might think about creating circumstances where players from both factions can actually join sides to fight off whatever menace is threatening the planet they're on. I found myself constantly assisting other-faction players during the Rakghoul event, and it really made me wish there was some sort of 'truce' mechanic that allowed us to communicate through means more expressive than emotes.

As far as what you can use for storyline content, I know zombies are done to death, but I think you can get some mileage out of the Death Troopers/Red Harvest-style monsters from the EU. You might also consider an invasion of one of the major planets by an extragalactic species like the Yuuzhan Vong. Simultaneous invasions of the two capital planets, even. That has the potential to be really memorable!

Anyway, just my two cents. Thanks for a generally fun and rewarding event, and I hope to see more in the near future.

I loved the way that it unfolded. I logged in early Sunday morning close to the start of the event. I first noticed th kiosk pop up on fleet and after viewing the "news report" my immediate reaction was "YES! " I've played MMOs since UO was launched and I give you big kudos for how this went down. It brought a real sense of excitment and a feeling that it was an actual breaking news event. Players were reporting bits and piecess of information and like with any major news story, the internet was abuzz with both correct information and wild speculation. Well played. My only comment would be to keep the secrecy and scarity of official ingame info intact with future events. Figuring out what was happening had a real "fog of war" feeling. One improvement would be to leave the vendor up for a few days after the event.

^ This :)

I really enjoyed the event and the spontaneity of it all. Something to get surprised and excited about :) The RNG and possibility to repeat same customizations could also be improved.

Also please consider having the vendor up for a few days after the event for players to trade any left over currency.

I really enjoyed the rakghoul plague event.

The only thing I disliked about the event was being forced to find an ops group to kill the world bosses for the codex entries and title.

I enjoy playing games set in persistent worlds with other people. I also enjoy making friends with mature, intelligent, minimally compassionate adults. I do not like feeling as though I am forced to choose between playing the game in the way I find enjoyable -- interacting with people I like while using the tools BioWare has provided me to insulate myself from players who detract from my experience -- and completing the event by unlocking all the codex entries and earning the event title.

I like interacting with the community in this medium. I think that community puzzles and scavenger hunts like the one related to the quest Tracking the Origins are a lot of fun. I enjoyed meeting new people in the game and working together to figure out the extent of the event and what sorts of new things there were for us to do.

The part I found distinctly unenjoyable was turning on general chat and suffering through hours of obnoxious, ignorant people arguing (in the very loosest sense of the term... "saying opposing things at each other" would probably be a more accurate description of these exchanges) in broken English about whether or not it is problematic to say that "[homosexuality] is hott but only if your a chik," among varied and sundry other topics (and I self-selected onto a low population roleplaying server precisely to get away from nonsense like this... I cannot even imagine how insufferable the chat channels must be elsewhere). Under normal circumstances I would have just ignored them, but I knew that I might need to group with these very people in order to kill the world bosses.

In short, puzzles and other activities that encourage constructive community involvement are fun. I like activities that encourage collaboration without strictly requiring it. These allow players like myself to interact with other people on our own terms. Having to abandon all my standards in order form a group of a couple dozen people to complete an event is not fun. It is also more than a bit inconvenient. I am sure this was quite difficult for people with limited playtime to do.

First the plague event was good, it's things like that that makes mmos feel alive.

- Maybe something involving crafters as well could be fun. Like dropping limited use schematics instead of tokens and have the crafters make the rewards with dropped loot parts

- I'd like less focus on standing in aids groups on fleet tough for tokens.

- Something to help players get in on the heroic world bosses, I only got one of them and it was very hard to figure out where, when, at what stage the action was at if you have limited time on your hands.

- Some space action would be fun too as a part of the stages. Reserve some drops for the space parts.

Edited by Neloth

*The broadcasting on the station

*How one daily would bump you right into a another daily

*Color crystals where great

*Companion kits where great

*New pets where great

*Good writing as always

*Live TV report was a great touch

*Lots of different things to do within the event

*It was all over the planet and not just one tiny area

*Who does'nt like zombie invasions :p

Dislikes:

1) Companion kits ARE bugged

Opened 10 kits to get 4 Corso Riggs and 6 Tharan Cedrax

I dont even play republic plus kits can not be sold, zero value at vendors and just a complete waste

2) The whole Rakghoul thing is really overdone at this time and needs a break

3) Once again, special armor being Light only.

Suggestions:

*First time you log into your character, you automaticly recieve a quest update for the world event so that we know its going on and where to start.

*Dont have "random" companion kits

Allow us to pick which companion or at the very least let us pick either empire or republic.

*All events should have pets, color crystals, titles and companion kits

*Event should last 2 weeks

*Event vendor should stay one week after event is done

Overall:

I had a great time, it was alot of fun and I really did enjoy the event!

I am looking forward to the next one!

Thank you for taking the time and effort of giving us a world event!

It was fun because it was sudden and unexpected. The news reports and announcements on the fleets were very cool. Seeing the change that the plague brought to the planet - with the contamination officers scorching infected NPCs, with the infected mobs and the crash site was also nice; it made for an illusion of a dynamic event and it was entertaining.

Now, as to what I want to see in the future, it's not my job to figure these things out (:D) but I will say what I don't want to see next time and what improvements can be made.

1) Believe it or not, some players don't log in every day and when they do, they don't always go to the fleet. There were people who found out about the plague too late and couldn't participate properly. Come up with more ways to announce this stuff when it goes online. The news reports were very cool, but be even more creative and aim for broader reach than just the fleet.

2) The quests being dailies hurt the momentum of the event. If you wanted to participate, you had to wait daily. If you came too late, you were screwed. Why don't you try the next event with regular quest chains that are just harder to complete? And instead of you doing a simple quest like killing a bunch of rakghouls and then waiting 24 hours to get another simple quest to click on an object, make the quests harder and more time-consuming. Eventually, the rate of progress will be the same or at least similair.

3) Not every such event has to be about battles. I'm willing to bet that the next event will also be based on a dangerous situation that supposedly threatens everyone but a week later it will be like nothing happened. Maybe the Rakata, or the Esh-Kha, or the Dread Masters? That's well and good, but consider doing "peaceful" events like the Star Wars equivalents of fairs, carnavals and celebrations. Just a quick scroll through Wookieepedia shows tens of holidays in the lore. Maybe look at it?

Note - this doesn't mean that we neccessarily have to have "real-life" holidays like Halloween or Christmas in the game!

It might be just me, but I wish the elements of the game, were a part of the events. Like, my companions, space missions, warzones and most importantly, voice acting and story.

I truly enjoy so many parts of the game, but seeing the event be an enrichment, not a "rinse and repeat these things every day until you get a reward", would be amazing. What if the event had evolutions. Here is a generic example:

Stage 1 - Discovery (these are the cost of entry to the event)

- A call to arms has been placed for vital territory on Hoth. The territory is filled with resources that cannot be ignored. The largest pirate Cartel has taken hold of the territory and this cannot be allowed. The hutts have the assets needed to begin the incursion. Additionally, they have the motive, as pirates are not part of the Hutt cartel. All that being said, they demand compensation. There are two ways to obtain their help:

1) Huttball...once they are satisfied with their profits, they will grant the needed resources.

~ What it means: Play 10 Huttball matches, win at least 3 and slay

2) Space Missions - smuggling their good might be dirty work, but it invaluable for them to have access to both republic and imperial forces at the same time.

~ What it means: Do at least 5 space missions, plus the event mission (new?)

Stage 2 - Coordination (this is the actual event)

- We now have the needed resources to take the fight to Hoth. Before the engagement can begin, we must survey the land, eliminate the remote bunkers and sabotage the command outposts. All three must be done to complete stage 2.

1) Survey the land - board Darth Silas' ship and man the survey turret. Along the way, be sure to photograph the north, south, east and west vantage points of the stronghold. ::: During this mission, your survey tool, will switch to an actual turret and surviving an attack will be how you get to survey the next vantage point.

2) Eliminate the remote bunkers - {Heroic 4} - This will be a seek and destroy mission. The bunkers are very well hidden and search droids will need to be launched from imperial base-camps throughout Hoth to find them. Then, eliminate the guards and the Pirate Warlords. Once 5 warlords are eliminated, the pirates will begin to send reinforcements to fortify the bunkers. If they cannot maintain a perimeter, they will know they won't be able to successfully identify an attack.

3) Sabotage the command outposts - Requires 6 companions to be assigned tasks. The outposts are guarded with tech, guards and turrets. There will be six tasks that each companion must accomplish alone. While they do so, you can chose to either eliminate the guards or deactivate the turrets. There can be cut scenes, holocoms and moments where the party rondezvous and moves to the second phase of the mission and then maybe again as you complete it. I LOVE this idea for the immersion that I have come to know with Bioware.

Stage 3 - The Assault

- With no command outpost to activate their automated defenses, no remote bunkers to give intel on enemy movement and a detailed layout of the compound, the attack is on. These are not ordinary pirates and their compound is all about phased combat. This allows them to slow the attacking force, while regrouping in the next phase. Think of a maze with corridors that must be taken one at a time before you hit the core.

There are 5 steps to the attack.

1) The Tauntaun handlers...yes, they have combat trained them - eliminate and proceed

2) The pirate commandos - turrets must be deactivated before engaging the commandos. they are deactivated by solving a puzzle. Perhaps like the black hole puzzle, which causes an electric overload.

3) The Raghoul Tainted Dogs - The pirates have saved and contained the plague and managed to inject it. As soon as you open the door, it releases the hounds. Be sure to bring the vaccine!!

4) The Pirate elite guardians - {Heroic 4 - plus 1 companion each} - Red, Blue, Black and White. Each guard presents a different challenge, such as incapacitating 2 party members at random and their companions...SURVIVE!! Also, teleporting party members back to phase 1, where they must defeat a handler with his tauntauns to re-join the fight.

5) Defeat Pirate Lord Nomakk. 8 - 16 recommended. Equivalent of a world boss, but lets have some fun here. Tank and spank gets old. The boss has 6 stims that must be "cured". During the fight, tele-porters will open that contain the cure. Yellow ports are soloable, Green are for 2 people. 6 Yellows and 3 greens will be needed.

The boss is extremely invulnerable to damage, because the stims protect her. However, she is also not as lethal. As you remove the stims, her damage will increase by 10%. Yellow serums (30second CoolDown) remove 15% of the Lord's damage reduction and increase her damage output by 5% for the remainder of the fight. Yellow (60second CD) increase party damage by 10% for the remainder of the fight, however, they also spawn Sub-lords that make her jump on a platform and shoot explosive arrows down while you fight the sub-lords...Don't stand in the fire! :)

When the 9th stim is applied, the boss will automatically drop you 5% health and begin a 20 second countdown to self-destruct. If she is not defeated, she will execute the sequence and whipe the group. No healing is needed here, full dps race!...doesn't need to be insanely impossible though:)

Congrats you killed the 1st Pirate warlord clone...only 6 to go! ;)

*** All of the quests are dailies the provide Pirate Stim pack, which increases damage output vs the warlord by 5% and can be used with other stims. They also provide Pirate badges, which The Hutt's will take in exchange for loot. After you first defeat of the pirate warlord, a mission terminal will allow all quests to be repeated as you "reinforce" the battle each day.

I got carried away with this...but it would be extremely fun. Hope this can spawn some ideas for use. Thanks for reading! :)

My key point...Immersion and depth, not rinse and repeat! :)

I enjoyed the event although post the event now I am getting frustrated that I continue to get infected. I did feel rushed to try to get through it all with the way the event was constructed due to the short timeframe. Needs more flexibility for those that cannot log on several hours a day to complete.

More and regular events are needed, these could be smaller sub-stories or more larger stories like the plague. These could be random, infrequent events that require you to explore to find them .. some that may come on and off again depending on the day or week etc .. but allow you to resume it next time it procs.

I really feel that events are going to add a lot to the community but I still see a priority to bring the static lifeless SWTOR world to life first ... seats, socialising areas, random NPC events, random quests or converstations, gambling, subgames, changing areas over time, dueling areas, way to watch warzones via comm screens etc etc all needed to give you things to explore and enjoy.

If we only have limited events as priority content to bring the worlds to life then the 'feel' of the universe will remain the same - lifeless and dull...

Please remove the RNG factor from item token based turn in's. Generally, events are great for more casual gamers to attend, but feel frustrated if they can't get something as simple as a skin for their companion due to RNG.

I'd say, go the route of WoW. Make all item token vendor based item non-RNG, but also don't allow them to be sold on the AH, and only gathered via questing and participating. Then, take some of the more upscale items you have, and maybe add them as RNG drops to a boss, or a token that is RNG, that will allow you to turn it in for a color crystal of your choice, or a rare mount on the boss.

It gives enough flavor to the event, etc.

@James Ohlen

I thought the Event was alot of fun. The best time I had was farming DNA with the Imps with our PVP flags on. It was fun to chat to the other side and when our eyes started to glow we attacked! it was fun until someone came along and started killing people for fun. Getting cool pets was fun as was the ability to get some other color crystals and a new armor set.

A few things I did not like though:

Some my guildies only log on on weekends. They were not able to do alot of the quests for the armors. But most of them were able to get DNA for a pet or crystal even if they only had a few hours left.

I had problems with my PVP flag. One boss was in a PVP zone and we also had some PVP to try and farm DNA. That was fine, but my PVP flag would stay on for a very long time. I don't mind a 5 minute timer, but the timer should actually work. It was also really lame when I logged out in a cantina or on my ship and it was still there when I logged back in. I know this is a PVP issue, not an event issue, but parts of the event brought it to the forefront for me.

Anyways, I hope my feedback is helpful and I look forward to many more events in the future.

I love those in-game events in every mmos I've tried. It'd be nice if we'd have Star Wars festivals in the game with multiples activities (races, shooting, treasure hunting, dancing, music, trivia, friendly duels, etc.).

It was a nice idea however the pricing of items was too high by the time you could afford to buy one of the mid range items you were already way past the level of the item making it pointless to try.

Lev 50 stuff fair enough.

Content is nice, though right now tbh I'd be far far happier to see more done on key issues like character mvement server to server, and transforming this Multiplayer game into a MMO, and a big part of this is the crafting and the economy and gameplay balance which is way off.

Right now the game needs more attention to the overall design elements which are weak, over sheer content.

Items BOP so ya dont just have a huge group of Emp and Repubs standing side by side kill trading... (Ilum anyone?)

for extra DNA. BOP might change that vendor into a PvP zone instead of a lolfest.....