Future 3D Space Combat

Rohanshot

I don't think its a good idea.

1.) It takes lots of resources which could be used in better ways

2.) 3D space combat is a complete different game. I don't see the benefit for TOR

3.) Only a small number of players will be interested in such a feature. 3D space combat is much too difficult for most of the players.

About the third bullet point....most of the players would probably disagree with you.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How excited can Mr. lead developer be about 3D space combat? At PAX 2010 he revealed his true feeling on the matter
at the 6:00 mark

psssst thats not what 3d space combat is. he is talking about free space not 3d space combat.

He is saying they won't have a system like EVE where you can go for ever in one direction.

My bet is they will first add free flying 3d space combat in missions so it would be like the missions we have now but you can control where you go. Sort of like how X-wing vs Tie Fighter was.

They will probably also have it be PVP based as well.

But the thing is, if they went the way of SWG, it would yet be ANOTHER form of level grinding. That is what I like about the space combat as it is now. I don't want to have to level yet another element in the game, there is enough of that grind planet side.

Overall, not counting what the forum views are, everyone I talk to actually in-game about space pretty much like it. The only thing annoying is that when you get higher up, you have alot of missions that give no exp, and are completely greyed out. If they are going to do the rails, they should at least make sure the space missions level up with the quality of your armor, mods etc.

Maybe have an expansion that you can pay for, which is in no way tied into the existing space combat for the people that want a full leveling space experience like SWG. I mean that is not a simple thing to ask for.

psssst thats not what 3d space combat is. he is talking about free space not 3d space combat.

He is saying they won't have a system like EVE where you can go for ever in one direction.

My bet is they will first add free flying 3d space combat in missions so it would be like the missions we have now but you can control where you go. Sort of like how X-wing vs Tie Fighter was.

They will probably also have it be PVP based as well.

If that's not what 3D space combat is, then why did he give that answer? The question he was asked was not about remaking eve but about moving beyond single player rails into 3D and multiplayer space combat...

because if they added everything at launch what you would add latter? SWG didn't get space combat till after what almost 2 years when Jump to Lightspeed came out?

They have been saying they have something big for Space Combat since launch so it's not like they have been quiet about it you just haven't been listening.

Actually they said nothing about space at launch. And when they did say something it was that they had something planned. That's it. Not much to listen to really. But maybe you're right, maybe I've missed something. Point me in the right direction, show me where they've said what they're going to do please.

hmmmmm I see a contradiction do you see it?

No not really. I'll make it simpler.

1. They said nothing about changing space at launch, they waited a while.

2. When they did say something(not at launch, but later) there were no real details about what they were going to do, just that they had something planned.

Please point out the contradiction.

And please link to where thyve given more details about what they're going to do. I'm off to bed, but can't way to read it in the morning. Night.

Edited by utio

Oh boy oh boy I'm getting this warm fuzzy Elite/Privateer/X-Wing/JTL feeling again.. if they do space exploration right I'll be the most loyal BW fanboy and I will subscribe forever and defend them with my sharp double bladed light saber... :D Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

A lot of you guys are setting yourself up for HUGE disappointment expecting a full flight Sim game.....

If anything will see Free Roam in the existing maps and even be able to fly with friends and pvp against other players, kind of a warzone for space ships.... Were not going to get a X-wing vs Tie Fighter, Privateer, Wing Commander, Decent type of space sim.... You guys are dreaming if you think your going to get that.

Besides there's a reason nobody is making Space Sims anymore, there is no demand for them.... Even in SWG most of the people in my 200+ guild hated Jump to Lightspeed... It catered to a niche group of players.... So you guys are in la la land if you think Bioware who made a very Theme Park MMO is going to attached a sandbox Flight Sim to their game.....

Not trying to be mean or anything but just realistic...

Please do this well Bioware. Twitched based space pvp similar to galaxies (and just because SWG had it, don't try and do something "different".)

And please make the ships look like they come from the star wars universe and not some dreadful warhammer 40k ripoffs like the current armour sets.

If the Space pvp is done right then I'll happily keep subbing for years to come it's what kept me playing SWG for so long and even brought me back after they ruined the rest of the game.

See you space monkeys and MLP squadron at the 0's for cookies. (If you know what I'm on about then /respect to the old gang)

Ulrak Trollheim Fighter pilot Ace Chimaera "Black Banthas"

No not really. I'll make it simpler.

1. They said nothing about changing space at launch, they waited a while.

2. When they did say something(not at launch, but later) there were no real details about what they were going to do, just that they had something planned.

Please point out the contradiction.

And please link to where thyve given more details about what they're going to do. I'm off to bed, but can't way to read it in the morning. Night.

I guess you are right it was BEFORE launch

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/13/star-wars-the-old-republic-to-get-guild-capital-ships-more-pvp-expanded-space-combat/

Pretty sure December 13th was before launch.

Edited by jarjarloves

A lot of you guys are setting yourself up for HUGE disappointment expecting a full flight Sim game.....

If anything will see Free Roam in the existing maps and even be able to fly with friends and pvp against other players, kind of a warzone for space ships.... Were not going to get a X-wing vs Tie Fighter, Privateer, Wing Commander, Decent type of space sim.... You guys are dreaming if you think your going to get that.

Besides there's a reason nobody is making Space Sims anymore, there is no demand for them.... Even in SWG most of the people in my 200+ guild hated Jump to Lightspeed... It catered to a niche group of players.... So you guys are in la la land if you think Bioware who made a very Theme Park MMO is going to attached a sandbox Flight Sim to their game.....

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nail meet head.

There is huge demand, look at the fansites and rumor sites for "Battlefront 3", look at the people requesting a new " X-Wing" game since years, look at the huge success of the fangame "Wing Commander Saga", look at "Planetside 2" buzz, and people demanding a new "Freelancer" game... the list goes on...

either they do it the right way and create a whole second space combat/exploration/trading/mining game with an EvE type universe or it will disappoint like the rail foxer.

It all makes sense: They could add the whole SW universe and planets, and when they add ground maps, the planets get accessible.

They could set warzones on different plamets you could fly to manually... could be amazing

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

hmmm, i ignore the space missions atm, even if it was something like the space combat in battlefront 2 it would be better.

How about having improved on rail missions for your frigate (i.e not fluttering round the screen like a piece of tinfoil in a gale force wind) AND giving players a small fighter craft for more indepth 3D space missions?

They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.

And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.

This X infinity..

The sad thing:

They were excited about space combat on rails - it failed.

They were excited about Ilum - it failed.

What can we expect?

Anyway, if they do space the right way* I'll resubscribe in an instant .

*i.e. the right way is the Jump to Lightspeed way with a huge chunk of Battlefront 2

Hopefully they'll start actually delivering more and vent themselves less.

Then we'll start to trust them more and be disappointed less.

Space combat should be integrated with the story, and pvp for open world. There should be crafting material that can be protected, or scavenged.

It can relate to the story/ground with items gotten.

There can be story class quests in space.

Raids with space combat, and pvp at the same time.

They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.

And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.

Yeah, they should have had space combat at launch, like they did in SWG.

For me, one of the fun things to do in SWG that actually DID build community was hoodwinking a couple of newbies looking to get some kills in space to turret sit in my YT-1300, or just grabbing a couple of friends to do the job. Multi-payer ships was a huge thing.

It was even better when you got in to the larger gunboat type ships like the Vigo or (if you were a masochist) the Y8 mining ship.

Here, though, it's just me on a single ship just like every other agent's ship in a rail system and no ability to bring other people along to take part.

For me, one of the fun things to do in SWG that actually DID build community was hoodwinking a couple of newbies looking to get some kills in space to turret sit in my YT-1300, or just grabbing a couple of friends to do the job. Multi-payer ships was a huge thing.

It was even better when you got in to the larger gunboat type ships like the Vigo or (if you were a masochist) the Y8 mining ship.

Here, though, it's just me on a single ship just like every other agent's ship in a rail system and no ability to bring other people along to take part.

Those were good times

A fully-featured space sim (exploration, trading, etc) is both unlikely and unnecessary, but an improvement of the current space game is urgently needed.

Setting aside the justifiable gripes from PvPers and experienced online gamers, fixing the space game side of SWToR is one of the ways the developers could immensely improve the game for new and casual players and ensure a wider player base and better cash flow.

It's interesting that SWToR is the exact opposit in its design realisation to Star Trek Online - that game has a very passable (not perfect, but good) space combat system but ground combat that is repetitive and boring as hell. SWToR has great ground-based play, and a space game that is a disappointment to play the first time, and boring after the second play.

Hope that a space game makeover really is in the pipeline.