Feedback request from James Ohlen - Group Finder

StephenReid

What part of a Group Finder feature is most important to you?  

3,234 members have voted

1. 1. What part of a Group Finder feature is most important to you?

• Forming a group for Operations
    • Forming a group for Flashpoints
    • Forming a group for Heroic Missions
    • Forming a group for something else
    • No preference/all of the above

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flashpoints are the priority in my opnion and then the heroics missions. I hate finding the group for heroic missions :rolleyes: I have no problems with flashpoints(but the tool would be really usful), but heroics are pain in the arse. Sometimes I find full group to do every hero on planet and on the next planet I don't do any of the hero, because lack of group :rolleyes:

all of the above. this game badly needs a better group finder feature, because right now its the loneliest MMO I've ever played. Its almost impossible to find people for the flashpoints and heroic quests, and those should be the easiest to find as they are part of the leveling experience.

Flash points are the most important to me. Also a cross server lfg tool is essential!!! I work nightshift and at at off peak times a lot and would like to be able to find a group when I play. My server usually doesn't have many people playing when I am on. X-server is a must!!

All of the above.

As some other said though it's really necessary to implement dual spec (arguments all over this thread - but for the sake of discussion it's necessary because most people, although able and maybe geared for healing might be in DPS spec for dailies and such).

Also it is necessary to solve the problem of low populated servers. For them, any LFG tool that is NOT cross server is a waste simply because there is nobody to form groups with. while i agree that any automated LFG tool should be single server (not cross server) you must (and this "must" is even more important than the LFG tool itself) solve the problem of low populated servers. Merge them or whatever, but unless you do it only the higher population servers will benefit from such a tool.

I believe that the group finder might work in operations too, at least on the lower tier. For those that bitter about loot ninjas and such - there's the option of ignoring that person. Also, once a bad reputation is gained it's really hard to lose it. I have successfully leaded and participated in PuGs in another MMO and while not having the same quality experience as in a guild raid (although, depending on the guild, sometimes it's actually better :p) it still was most of the times fun and fruitful. A lot of people with high level alts, whom i knew from their main, joined. since this games promotes alts allowing Operations to be ran from the LFG tool might be a good thing and help people gear up alts.

PS. Oh, one very important thing! Make it so that we groups can use the LFG tool together. For example, three guildies lacking a tank.

Edited by Urdnaxela

Obviously Flashpoints, but doing it half-right would just add insult to injury.

I don't mind a LFG system that's limited to same-server (even though low-pop ones like mine will still feel long queues), but a LFG without the following features IMO is an invitation to have a huge mass of frustrated players.

1. Roles (DPS, Healer, Tank)
  2. Role Incentives (0 tanks, 3 healers, and 87 DPS in queue? provide extra rewards for tanks and healers until it balances itself out)
  3. Min. requirements for HM aka gear check. You already have a rating system on armors, so this should be trivial to implement.
  4. DUAL SPEC! I strongly believe this needs to be in-game prior to the LFG system. Actually, I don't care about the fee that resets every once in a while, just don't make me go all the way to the fleet to respec, make it UI based and I'll gladly pay the measly fee.
  5. NO BUFFS FOR GROUPING RANDOM PEOPLE! Don't turn this game into EZ mode.

Flashpoints are definately top of my list. That and having it cross server. I know quite a few people are worried about cross server, but for those I imagine you could add a checkbox to the group finder, to only join people on same server if you choose.

I wish there had been an option for 'None of the above'.

I do group/raid PvE content with my friends/family and guildmates only. I will not be using any group finder tool placed in the game and would prefer developer time be spent elsewhere.

This is my opinion, I understand it's the minority but this is a feedback thread after all.

Primarily, I'm looking for a flashpoint group finder tool with hard mode and story mode options. I'm not at all opposed to having a group finder tool for other functions as well.

I'd like to be able to queue up and then go take care of dailies or do whatever else I need to do while I wait for the queue to pop.

While an operations group finder tool might not be a terrible idea in the abstract, I would be more concerned with unskilled players with no raid experience (who queue for a random/pug ops group out of curiosity) getting harassed, insulted, and generally treated like crap.

As a side note, I honestly hope that you guys stick to your decision to keep the group finder limited to the server the player is located on. My experiences with "that other game" have shown me that x-server groups tend to lack tolerance, patience, and common courtesy. How many people will behave themselves when they know for a fact that there are no ramifications for what they say or what they do? In my experience, not many.

Keep up the good work, BW.

:-)

Edited by Depredator
typo

All of the above in order to compete with competition. A group finder for everything mentioned in the poll would be a huge step forward. It can't just be for one of those things.

Agreed 100%. All of those things must be included in the group finder.

Flashpoints. I think that's the obvious answer due to the logistics of finding a flashpoint grp when ur not on fleet. I hope they make it like the wz que with more options to cut out some travel time and putting in some daily rewards for queing like in WOW wouldn't hurt.

I did vote for Flashpoints as a main concentration for the DEV Team. This would put in place a basic LFFP much easier for the average player as well as keeping people involved (which is going down hill fast) however if the use of an all around group finder could be put in place this would be even more of a useful tool for the masses in my opinion.

The only thing I can say is do something now!

Not on the list: World Bosses/Definable Objectives -- Most of the endgame world bosses require at least 4 people at very bare minimum and are much more fun less of a long grind with 8 or more (depending). It'd be nice to have that option. Aside from that, being able to set up a personalized LFG that is server wide would be sufficient.

LFG - Belsavis Dailies or Outbreak Dailies or etc.

Even PVP group set up if you could join battlegrounds as a group would be nice to have. (not sure if they implemented that yet or not, i know was on the 'to do' list)

Some how it needs to take group composition into account the original group starter should be able to specify at the start his requirements ie 1 melee DPS and 1 Ranged dPS and 1 healer and 1 Tank. And the group should try and find this through the players who have join via some kind of auto finder button like the pvp currently has.

And the more options the better like going more in depth.

We may not use them all but we like options, and choice.

please dont make the cross server optional. I love playing with many of the same people.

Acutally, I feel the problem wow made was FORCING X server LFG. I usually play at off peak hours. So i've never gotten to do any flashpoint but black talon (and i have 2 50's). On that note however WoW made a mistake ONLY have a X server list. There NEEDS to be an option for same server / x server lists. On WoW i found the majority of x server group mates to be REAL jerks because they knew they likely wouldnt have to deal with the fall out from that run. I prefer same server groups, but lets face it. at 3 in the morning when theres only 27 people even on fleet it's rather hard to find a group for anything on the same server.

As a side note, I saw a post about certain restrictions... such as not being able to select NEED for an item that doesnt have yer class' primary statistic. VERY GOOD IDEA!!!

As for gear level checker, if a person never gets to go on the missions to GET the gear how do ya expect them to aquire to the BoA's to run it in the 1st place? Everyone has to start somewhere...

First, to answer your question (which I'm hoping is just a joke.. but assuming it's not):

Limiting a LFG tool to work for operations and not flashpoints (or vice-versa) is just ridiculous; so my answer would of course be "All of the above".

As a note; at this time the Group Finder feature in development is limited to searching on a single server only.

You ask questions like these but do you guys really listen to our feedback? How many threads with hundreds of responses have you seen about how desperately this game needs cross-server LFG and warzone queues? Only to implement a single-server LFG tool? Really? What about servers that are underpopulated? Haha. Honestly it seems like Bioware is always taking one step forward and two steps back with every single update. What the heck are you guys doing over there? If I visited Bioware today I would half expect to see a bunch of monkeys banging their keyboards against their monitors... :rolleyes:

the LFG tool certainly needs refining, its astonishing how many people spam for groups yet will not use the LFG tool.

Ideally the tool should be used for Flashpoints and Heroics only, the tool just needs to have functionality increased. a toggle to say 'LFG fo FP X,Y,Z' and anyone else also selecting those FP will be 'belled' that other players are seeking. once group is formed a 'Emergency shuttle pass' to get players into the FP without having to waste time travelling back to fleet in order to travel to the FP

I hit 50 and have yet to do the final 3 FP as everyone is too busy grinding dailies. make the FP's worth doing imho

Flashpoints, and heroics in particular, doesn't require that much tactics and organization to complete. The boss fights are pretty stright-forward and they are easy to learn and overcome. Players joined by group finder does not actually need to socialize with the "randoms" and missions can be completed without a single word of communication. Because of that (and more), I believe that a group finder would enforce the single-playerness of SWTOR, something I think is a bad thing. The content missed by not engaging in the frustrating and time-consuming task of finding a suitable group for it, is valuable enough to risk implementing a group finder however.

Flashpoint finder is the most important of the three.

It needs:

- Normal/Hard mode

- Level and/or some form of gear check for the harder ones

- Queue as role (tank/healer/dps)

- Vote to kick

Optional:

- Incentive for using, ie extra credits or tokens. (Just being able to do the FP in the first place is incentive enough IMO)

Heroics, option to auto-create/join groups with players on the same mission in the same area. Or if that is too much work to implement - a Heroics finder. Have not found any heroic that actually require a tank or healer - any group of four can finish all of them.

Operations finder is a horrible, horrible thing. Leave that to guilds!

Ops are a distinct end-game feature, and it should require cooperation and organization to participate/complete. Allowing this to be managed by guilds gives players both an incentive to join guilds and to actively socialize to other players.

This provides a natural progression in content that requires organized groupings. Heroics are mostly seamless and easy, Flashpoints introduce groups with roles and Operations require organization and skill.