Feedback request from James Ohlen - Group Finder

StephenReid

What part of a Group Finder feature is most important to you?  

3,234 members have voted

1. 1. What part of a Group Finder feature is most important to you?

• Forming a group for Operations
    • Forming a group for Flashpoints
    • Forming a group for Heroic Missions
    • Forming a group for something else
    • No preference/all of the above

I voted for Flashpoints but would have voted for "All of the Above" if it was an available option. The poll did not ask about single server vs. cross-server but that is a very important issue as well. I feel very strongly that any LFG tool should be cross-server.

Fifth choice.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a crazy long post the likes of which I have never seen. It quotes my post, seems to say that my post was directed to him when it wasn't, makes crazy assumptions in the wrong direction about what he thinks I was saying and wasn't, and other times responds to things said that was never said. Crazy nuts.

I can't begin to respond to that spiraling group of unrelated assumptions and opinions. I stand by my post, fully. And the primary issue failing guild communitijes at large (that promote the desire for cross-server group finder) is failed guild leadership.

Agreed! She condems the 'dumb customers' and then goes about making the same b.s. arguments we've heard over and over and defends them with the same tactics she condems, lol. Spamming LF1M dps and getting crickets is no community. Same server tool won't help that. Amazes me that someone would argue otherwise. <shrug> There's one in every crowd.

Agreed! She condems the 'dumb customers' and then goes about making the same b.s. arguments we've heard over and over and defends them with the same tactics she condems, lol. Spamming LF1M dps and getting crickets is no community. Same server tool won't help that. Amazes me that someone would argue otherwise. <shrug> There's one in every crowd.

Yes, lots of assumptions that went nowhere, and don't add up. Shockingly poor. Hitting space and Return twice does not a logical break make. She'd do well to try to organize some thoughts with bullets and indents, and will then find that the random statements make no logical sense, and don't hang together.

I'm more willing than most to engage in a dialogue on difference of opinions or ideas... But give a guy something to work with.

Edited by Verdan

All of the above in order to compete with competition. A group finder for everything mentioned in the poll would be a huge step forward. It can't just be for one of those things.

I agree with that a group finder needs to be for everything: operation, heroic quest, etc. It alson needs to be random and eventually x-server or it won't work. Rift tried same-shard(sever) but had to expand it. World of Warcraft had a great LFG tool but until it became x-server and random it wasn't used.

Unless its x-server and its random it won't work. I am sorry to say.

An LFG tool, if implemented, would be MOST useful to those LFG for Flashpoints.

-LFG for Ops: Running Ops need proper preparation and planning; one does not start an Operation just because they have enough players to do that Ops. Since this LFG tool is not going to be cross-server anyway, it will not be ~that useful, as it will just be the same for low-pop servers - they won't get things going with the very few players on their fleets anyway. (But yes, had it been a cross-server LFG tool, I'd say that it would be most useful to those low-pop servers that want to run Ops.)

-LFG for Heroic Missions: As I see it, it's already effective as it is with the current LFG flag option, and MAY not even need to be part of the options on the LFG tool (Though yes, it can still be useful for those who already left the planet but still wants to do those quests; and so btw, I assume this will be applied on the LFG tool that players will be rolling for heroics per planet?). Heroic Missions are usually planet and level-specific, and, I don't know about others, but once I clear the normal questlines, since I easily outlevel them anyway :(, either I completely let go of and abandon those optional quests, or just solo them later.

-LFG for Something else: So, by something else - does it mean it's for world quests/world events/[un]ranked or premade warzones?/datacron hunting/egg and tauntaun hunting/world pvp/social events? Well, yes, it's hard to LFG for these other things to do, so an LFG tool for this would be useful as well.

-LFG for Flashpoints. Not cross-server. This would be the most important feature for me. Especially for low-pop servers, if you want to do a low-level FP, you would need to stay on the fleet, /who and/or spam LFG/LFM messages on general chat. Now, you can do quests, etc while waiting for FP's to pop. Yes, we all know that the LFG tool has a lot of pros and cons, and although I'm actually more leaned on not having that feature in the game, I'm just saying that, well, if it ~would be implemented, it will enable players to do more flashpoints. More flashpoints = not necessarily good, but yes, that's a different topic.

I hope you guys think of something better then a "dungeon finder" and you make it more dynamic... Possibly an alert for people near that level even if you are not on that mission, you might want to join that mission even though im on the fleet and the missions on Hoth , make the tab small and easily accessible so i know where to go, not just random dungeon cookie cutter finder, get creative

I agree with your various posts on the subject, despite what some idealists or self-serving guild leaders are saying, playing defense to grasp their own communities in serving the One and 1% (guild leaders) rather than the 99% (players).

Being guild-less due to a lack over 20 years of trying to find a community-oriented guild and leadership who knew anything about serving a guild community rather than some autocratic "my way or the highway" approach for kiddies, AND being on a server with a population that sees 8 to 10 players per planet such that we can't even get enough players to do a Heroic, the ideals are absurd.

I'd love to find a mature guild - beyond the common (weak) charter consisting of little other than "based on respect" (until you dare take a different position from leaders and want a real dialogue) and "no drama" (which means you can't ever take a different position on something that's "already been decided" by a few without real guild-wide dialogue... ie. communication), so a good guild for thinking adults is really a pipe dream.

So, all that said, group features should allow for immediate access and immediate start - meaning that no matter where you're standing on which planet, you can open a window, see groups forming, join a group for that content, and be immediately ported or summoned to a launch location... no travel required. In Lotro, which did this exceptionally well, it not only ported you at the site to start the content, but when exiting the content, it put you right back in the outskirts of some field you were originally standing in before you joined the group, ready to carry on wherever you left your last activity. MMO perfection.

And of course, given all the above, it should allow for cross server if technically possible, for maximum player opportunity and enjoyment.

- - - -

PS - I find this thread a disturbing example of project leadership, having a very narrow set of Poll options that don't allow for other important features, such as group finder's immediate access, port/summon, and return.

More importantly, by not offering their vision of this "group finder" system that fits TOR design tenets and player comments offered over many months, and THEN appropriately ask for our feedback on their design draft... It feels reminiscent of SWG project management that bounced design around without focused leadership and vision, which resulted in chaos and endless changes in reactionary responses to player outcries with one visionless change after another.

Team Bioware, you've gotten months of input by players... So put something tangible on the table for feedback other than some narrow poll that is I'll-suited for the storming stage it appears to be framed in.

I have to admit you do raise a few valuable points. Focusing the grouping system below if you don't mind.

1) Empty server is a big issue

2) Group finder should be convenient: making players "loose" the least possible time before and after grouping to return to their activities

3) Cross server, due to #1. Still keep it optional please.

4) Without any more background, the last sets of polls seems that much narrowed that it gives the players the feeling BioWare might be missing the more important parts and focusing on a specific part, instead of looking at the whole picture.

All that's really needed is to add to the /who, a tab for LFG where everyone of your faction across the whole server (with their LFG flag up) shows up.

Then you can put your flag up and go about your business on any world you want. People looking to form a group can then invite you from anywhere and you can go to them.

I don't want a queue system. I don't want cross server.

Edited by FITorion
add punctuation

Vote #1021 for Flashpoints here.

I think a better system can be made for Heroics.

And for all that its worth please PLEASE no Operation LFG.

I would hope no cross server either but with the population being what it is this may be unrealistic. And Im ok with that.

As as aside, tho linked, I would hope dual spec would be implimented with this. I am a healer by trade in every other MMO Ive played, but here I am DPS spec (trooper) because in the solo game, healing isnt heroic (ie. In beta I played the cocky smuggler and it felt wrong that my toon got the credit for things when it was Corso soaking up and dealing most the damage).

So let be be a DPSer for daily/weekly stuff, then let me swap spec to healing for FP's. I dont get much time to play with job(s) wife, and kid so since healers are usually in demand I know that if I queue as a healer, I will get a run faster. I some times just dont have the time to sit in line as a DPSer for 30+ mins then do another hour-ish FP.

-LFG for Flashpoints. Not cross-server. This would be the most important feature for me. Especially for low-pop servers, if you want to do a low-level FP, you would need to stay on the fleet, /who and/or spam LFG/LFM messages on general chat. Now, you can do quests, etc while waiting for FP's to pop. Yes, we all know that the LFG tool has a lot of pros and cons, and although I'm actually more leaned on not having that feature in the game, I'm just saying that, well, if it ~would be implemented, it will enable players to do more flashpoints. More flashpoints = not necessarily good, but yes, that's a different topic.

How do you people think that just having a LFG tool makes groups happen? It doesn't magically spawn people to group up with you. Only benefit this kind of LFG would give on these servers would be enabling people to stop standing in the fleets spamming, and even that is pretty much only if this system was automated.

I've played MMOs for about 10 years now and I have seen at least over a dozen solutions to the problem of grouping up. The only solution that has really worked well is the cross-server LFD system WoW first implemented. Since WoW implemented that about 2-3 years ago now every single major western MMO(Rift,LotRO, EQ2, etc.) has implemented it afterwards. I think that alone is proof of its sucesss.

Unless it's cross server, it's not likely to work, except of course in prime time, Imperial side, on standard or heavier servers...

Republic on a light server, forget about it... I can ask both of them myself if they'd like to group.

Some things to consider;

Cross-Server Group FInders are very, very good

Allowing people to find groups across multiple servers lets people on lower-population systems enjoy the same breadth of gaming options. Same goes for people who play in unusual timezones (after midnight for east coast, for example). This works best for task-specific groups - finding teams for flashpoints, for example. (Also works best when people are simply placed together, rather than polling through a list of possible members. WoW's dungeon finder was rickety at first but became an example of how to do this right.)

If you're letting people pick members from a group list, you should let individuals set LFG comments.

That will help people explain what content they're looking for, what they're spec'd or geared for, if they have any particular goals or time constraints, etc. (FFXI's comment system worked well for this.)

Auto-refreshing windows are very useful!

Sure beats having to re-open the group-finder all the time.

Having functionality similar to, or as an extension of /who, makes logical sense.

If you can filter /who by area, by level, by name, by class, etc., then a group finder should have similar options. (Particularly if you're allowing people to select others from the group finder, rather than auto-building parties for various events.) (FFXI didn't have a group finder; their /who plus LFG comments did the job. Of course, that was quite a few years ago, and things can be done better now.)

A LFG tool is well and good, though it's something I can take or leave. The item that has me completely flummoxed is the lack of a LFG channel.

The reason I almost never run FPs while leveling is that, at present, I'm forced to choose between potentially sitting around on Fleet for hours trying to find a group or getting on with my missions/leveling. Even at 50 I only do HMs with my guild because I can jump in on those no matter where I am. Even if I were willing to log in only to sit around and twiddle my thumbs in one place, Fleet is not so exciting and vibrant a place that it's where I'd choose to do so.

Edit:

For the record, after my experience with the LFG tool in WoW, I am decidedly not a fan of the cross-server group implementation.

Edited by Grinstone

I find that I use group finder the most when leveling. Flashpoints are the most important to me. Once I hit 50 I still feel that flashpoints are the hardest to get groups for. Everything else I seem to be able to get from a guild (heroics, OPS, etc...).

I would definitely love a group finder for flashpoints, first and foremost. Then operations. I just feel that having a group finder for flashpoints is a definite must. Would really love to have one in game ASAP.

I want a way to find people to do heroics and flashpoints. I got my first guy to level 50 a few weeks back doing absolutely NOTHING but soloing. It was literally impossible for me to find anyone to team with to do anything let alone a heroic or flashpoint. To date I have never done a single Heroic or Flashpoint with that character outside of the few 2 man heroics that I was able to solo or going back and doing a flashpoint once I was 20-30 levels above it.

It's driving me nuts when the only content you guys seem to add the the game are more dam flashpoints which might as well be no content at all because it's impossible to find people to do them with. What the hell am I supposed to do at level 50 when I can't find a team to do anything? I'm a dam healer for crying out loud and I can't even find people to play with? That's ridiculous. I'm on a server with normal population, but the place is barren half the time. The only time I see people any more is when I go to the Imperial Fleet and even that place is barren some times. It's impossible to find people to do anything there because they are all just AFK to get that dam rahkghoul DNA, or spamming chat with nonsense.

I'm really trying to defend this game every chance I get, but you guys just keep making it harder and harder to do so the more I play.