Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

What a wonderful thread. :D I love when the community comes together over something.

That interview was certainly encouraging--both regarding the chat bubbles and the Cathar! Hopefully both arrive soon.

Edited by whatorthat

I can't wait. I'm on an RP server and I'd love to participate, but there's so much going on in the chat window that I get fatigued before I can even start. Not to mention the fact that it's nigh impossible to put a face with a name in crowded environs. Bring on the bubbles!

I wonder if now that the Community team is becoming more active on the forums, we will finally see someone from Bioware drop into this long ongoing thread and give us some information on the current state of chat bubble development and a rough estimate on when (which patch) to expect them in.

My subscription expires shortly, and I'm not sure if I should resubscribe or play other MMORPGs that have chat bubbles until chat bubbles are finally added to TOR as it seems to have become a neverending story, even though Daniel Erickson said in an interview they are coming "relatively soon". Then again, we've been told they were coming "soon" since beta, pre-launch, launch, and whenever the topic came up since then.

I've been fighting for this feature since beta for those people that can't enjoy the game without them, so please forgive me if I'm loosing faith in Bioware ever delivering on their promises.

The sad matter of fact is that I simply can't enjoy the game without them as roleplaying with multiple people without chat bubbles feels more of a hassle than anything else and costs way too much energy and roleplaying with other players in the Star Wars Universe is the main reason I play Star Wars: The Old Republic, just as I've played it's predecessor, Star Wars: Galaxies from launch until the very end. But compared to Star Wars: Galaxies (and more modern MMORPGs like Guild Wars 2), Star Wars: The Old Republic doesn't even have the bare minimum social RP tools required for me to enjoy my playstyle and the game - it just isn't any fun and a game should be fun to play!

A sad testimony for a company that has once taken pride in creating top-notch Role Playing Games.

I've got a couple of days left on my subscription, perhaps we'll see some actual movement and official commitment on EA's/Bioware's side regarding the topic of chat bubbles by then.

Perhaps Bioware will surprise me in a positive way.

Edited by Glzmo

I'm all for chat bubbles and sitting in chairs.

As a roleplayer, I really think those small things for the whole community are probably one of the biggest boons for the roleplaying community.

We do our best to maintain a steady player base inside those communities, but I'm afraid that the game just isn't embracing them fully yet.

Sure, extra content, perks, traits, credits, ops, FPs... are all great and everything, but I really think that the RPing community could use some TLC in the coming patches.

Thanks.

I'm really missing Chat Bubbles more than ever now. Was recently fooling around with the SWGEMU and I was just blown away to see chat bubbles again. Star Wars Galaxies deserves to live still in my opinion. It had almost everything an RPer needs, including not just chat bubbles, but chat bubbles that would change depending on the mood you set. Ah... The good old days of SWG....

SWTOR could learn a lot from SWG in regards to Roleplay. Its high time they add chat bubbles already! My eyes are hurting from looking at that chat box.

Chat bubbles should definitely be added. Having to look at the corner of the screen and hope 10 other people are not talking in General is frustrating. Sitting in chairs also needs to be implemented (since we already CAN sit on our ships). Lastly, please add voice/sound to our emotes. Telling a joke and getting a "your player tells a joke" with no sound whatsoever is useless. Doesn't even need to be a good joke, just have the character say, "So 2 wookies walk into a cantina..." That's it, don't even need a punchline. Laugh/cry/joke/etc. emotes should have sound, just take some of the lines you used throughout the character's dialogue choices even. These 3 changes (chat bubbles/sitting/voiced emotes) would make the game feel more 3-dimensional. Please address this.

Don't be so pessimistic! Have some faith. The game is still young. Lots of things need to be added, and yeah, while they should have been added at launch, they weren't. No big deal we got plenty of time. Although I do wish for them sooner than later :).

why bioware hasnt added this yet is beyond me. what a bunch of lazy monkeys. it looks like we'll never get them either

Because it's killing the frame rate.

Each UI frame drastically impacts the FPS and each chat bubble is a UI frame.

Give toggable chatbubbles please! *making a begging gesture*

Completely agree.

While I've been a huge supporter of Chat Bubbles (and Voice Emotes) since Day 1, I realize that not all players want or need them. So, yes, make Chat Bubbles optional (say in the Preferences menu).

:rolleyes: