Remove the rakghoul plague now

Someone quitting over a temporary world event? I doubt BW lost any subs that they wouldn't be losing over any number of other ridiculous reasons.

New, Fresh, working as intended, 95% optional content, with 5% non optional REWARDED content.

Unsub?? sense?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Bioware will read these threads carefully and see it's only like a couple of posters repeating the same stuff over and over that are against this event, and that the very vast majority (like 99%) are having fun with it.

And it's even better in game... I have yet to see a single person complain about being infected. Even the "newbies/lowbies" who get it on the fleet first ask on the general chat what the hell it is, and then laugh and actually want to participate.

The developers must NOT give in to a couple of people on forums who are on some sort of crusade because there was actually some player interaction going beyond the "group 2 kill" in a MMORPG.

Agreed. This is silly fun and whilst I'm sorry to hear that some folks don't like it, it is EASILY avoided.

Excuse me, I need to go blow up again. :D

A few things....

First, it's true that it's an MMO, but remember that even the MM parts of it are regulated by policy. BW does not want people having a miserable time because of other players' behavior.

Second, it's really not other players that are ultimately changing people's experiences, but the design BW chose to implement with this event. Regardless of how an MMO can behave dynamically, there are still core gameplay mechanics which this plague is changing, and I think its perfectly reasonable that people who enjoyed the mechanics of the game as it was may be a bit unhappy with this.

Finally, and this is the biggest problem I have right now:

With exceptions, of course, I have noticed an unfortunate trend. When folks say they like the event, the folks who don't like it generally respond with something like, "It's good that you like it, but I don't and here's why."

When folks say they don't like it, those who do generally respond with something like, "You just have to complain, don't you, you troll. Go unsubscribe if you feel that way, your kind is bad for the game anyways!"

Again, these are not hard and fast, universal truths, but they have been fairly strong trends. There's rarely any actual intellectual discussion of the points involved.

That I find very unfortunate.

You highlighted the RPG part earlier. Maybe you don't really know what that means.

You are not the GM/DM/whatever other master you want to call it. They control the world and you react to it. You can't tell them, no I don't like that there is a dragon in front of me...remove it now.

MMORPG is what we have.

Enjoy the plague.

I hope Bioware will read these threads carefully and see it's only like a couple of posters repeating the same stuff over and over that are against this event, and that the very vast majority (like 99%) are having fun with it.

And it's even better in game... I have yet to see a single person complain about being infected. Even the "newbies/lowbies" who get it on the fleet first ask on the general chat what the hell it is, and then laugh and actually want to participate.

The developers must NOT give in to a couple of people on forums who are on some sort of crusade because there was actually some player interaction going beyond the "group 2 kill" in a MMORPG.

I hope BW will read these things and see that, while many liked this all, many did not, and I hope BW will value those customers as well and perhaps take their desires into account in the future. You cannot please everyone all of the time, but you should try to please everyone some of the time.

It's not about "giving in." It's about realizing that they've pleased some subscribers today, but have disappointed others who are just as valuable and should be the target of future efforts.

The number of 99%, btw, is simply not remotely consistent with the ratio of the actual post counts here.

Here's the thing: the people complaining don't believe it's a minor effect.

Consider this: people are playing, here, an MMORPG. Some of the people who are playing it are going to care enough about those RPG elements to be pretty upset when their character is infected with this plague and all that goes along with it.

Let them dislike it.

From what I've seen, they are letting you like it (the OP excluded). They just want the opportunity to be heard as to why they do not enjoy it. On the other side of things, any time anyone says he dislikes the plague, he's attacked with names of every sort.

You would say it's a minor impact on these players, but they may feel its a major impact, and the fact is, we're talking about a game here - something for and based on entertainment. By it's very definition, what people enjoy or do not enjoy about it will be tremendously subjective. If someone feels its a major impact, its a major impact, because the nature of games is that their impact is very personal.

Isn't role playing suppose to be like emmersing yourself in a fictional world pretending it's real? How many outside elements in real life can one control the outcome of? This is kind of like saying I don't like getting killed by mobs out in the game world because it messes up my role playing, or life isn't fair because I got the cold. It's part of the game now, role play with it, or get over it. This is such a trivial matter people.

I hope BW will read these things and see that, while many liked this all, many did not, and I hope BW will value those customers as well and perhaps take their desires into account in the future. You cannot please everyone all of the time, but you should try to please everyone some of the time.

It's not about "giving in." It's about realizing that they've pleased some subscribers today, but have disappointed others who are just as valuable and should be the target of future efforts.

The number of 99%, btw, is simply not remotely consistent with the ratio of the actual post counts here.

I would say it is more than consistent. There are only about 5-10 posters complaining about the plague. Many...MANY posts complimenting this event.

Once again...a person who thinks everyone should feel the way they do? Is getting credits the main reason we play the game? Enjoy the event..do it until you puke your guts out...but donot infect me when I donot want to be.

I am not telling you to feel like me. Get over yourself. I am asking why you do not like an event that feeds you in game currency for a very minimal intrusion to your play style? Answer that before assuming I even remotely want you to feel like me.

Not everyone is after credits in game? Any facet of this game revolves around currency. From Legacy to Abilities to Armor. The point you try make is bathing in selfish entitlement issues.

Let's say your character gets infected and cant afford the vaccine or doesnt want to spend the 2k.

Ok, what happens?

You blow up and get DNA Samples.

Now what?

1) You don't want to participate in the event so you can sell them to a vender.

Or

2) Seeing how the DNA samples are not bound, and a commodity that some are going to want for what they can purchase, you could sell them on the GTN for even more.

Wow, the worst thing was that you just got free credits.

The horror.

Or one spends the 2k because they may not wish to 'blow up', and spread the disease to others. Having an event placed on the server is fine; being forced into play is not.

Having a differing opinion; the horror.

Edited by Elhanan

its people like the OP who kill off fun live events so he can do the same stuff over and over with little care and mind thought.

i am sure he was one of the wrath crying kids when WOW had its zombie event.

people like the OP kill fun events off with unwanted QQ and threats.

SUSH!!! its not hard to buy a 2k item and not put much thought into it after that. if you cry over 2k then you need to learn to farm.

I hope BW will read these things and see that, while many liked this all, many did not...
Who didn't like it? You and your 3 other friends who keep on repeating the same stuff here? Sorry, but that doesn't count as "many" for me - more like a couple of people bored at work who spend time posting on the forum.

This sounds very familiar... I hard the same thing in WoW with the zombie invasion.

Yep. More wdespread in the Zombie event, but for the same reasons of the effects of the Rakghoul plague, some hated it. Blizz even admited they went overboard with it and would not do that again.

You highlighted the RPG part earlier. Maybe you don't really know what that means.

You are not the GM/DM/whatever other master you want to call it. They control the world and you react to it. You can't tell them, no I don't like that there is a dragon in front of me...remove it now.

MMORPG is what we have.

Enjoy the plague.

When you have a company that has made it very clear that their intentions are to provide content based on what the subscribers desire, you sure can.

That said, we must not forget the G part of that equation. It is a game, and all games have a basic, core set of rules. I personally think that this plague changes some of those core rules too much that it starts to become a different game - not to some great degree, but to some degree nonetheless.

Let me give an extreme example. If we all woke up tomorrow, downloaded a patch, and loaded up SWtOR to find it had become a submarine based MMO, we'd all be quite unhappy. Can BW do this, according to your GM/DM role? If they'd like, of course - they are in charge, after all, and it is their game and their rules.

However, clearly we'd all be unhappy because the game we have purchased and subscribed to play would be in some core way different. I think some aspects of the plague here border on changing things too much.

Who didn't like it? You and your 3 other friends who keep on repeating the same stuff here? Sorry, but that doesn't count as "many" for me - more like a couple of people bored at work who spend time posting on the forum.

As opposed to one that posts their own thread about leaving for other reasons. Quite telling.....

This thread is proof that, even when a game goes out of its way to create a feature that you can either indulge in or completely ignore, this *********** forum community will find a way to cry rivers of rich, First World tears while cramming more Doritos into its collective face.

Seriously, you people are screwed.

As a bored person posting on the forum, I can assure you that there are a good, solid number over 4 or 5 threads who are saying they don't like it. Extrapolated out, that means there are probably tens of thousands - at least - subscribers who do not. They have value - as people, and as customers.

Just this week people were complaining about BW's alleged lack of valuing their <50 subscribers, and perhaps somewhat justifiably so. Well, it's the same thing.

I would say it is more than consistent. There are only about 5-10 posters complaining about the plague. Many...MANY posts complimenting this event.

Let us say only 10% of the player base does not like the event...is that 10% not important? See you could design the event in such a way as to not effect the 10%. Let me ask you something....lets say the event did not have the effecting other players with the plague, but had all the other benefits from it? Would you not still enjoy the event?

This thread is proof that, even when a game goes out of its way to create a feature that you can either indulge in or completely ignore, this *********** forum community will find a way to cry rivers of rich, First World tears while cramming more Doritos into its collective face.

Seriously, you people are screwed.

It cannot even come close to completely ignored. The audio is everywhere. The Fleet experience has changed, from adding those news things to all the infected people roaming about. The planet of Tatooine looks very different. Players leveling on Tatooine will have a much more difficult time because of it. From what I am seeing in game, I expect other planets to change as well. It is entirely forced upon everyone.

Let us say only 10% of the player base does not like the event...is that 10% not important? See you could design the event in such a way as to not effect the 10%. Let me ask you something....lets say the event did not have the effecting other players with the plague, but had all the other benefits from it? Would you not still enjoy the event?

No, I would not.

Because that would be one less daily and I wouldn't be able camp out in Tattooine with my husband, constantly exploding and infecting each other.

I say 10% is stretching it.

And the honest fact is, that no event, no in game item, nothing that BioWare does is EVER going to make everyone happy. Ever.

There will always be someone who is unhappy.