10 Reason Why You Should Quit Your Operative

devroz

Yep here it is:

10. Tactical Advantage Laugh Removed: Seriously ***... im not even gonna start.

9. Infiltrate is Totally Useless: Tell me honestly how many times you've use it for something actually meaningful...

8. Stealth is Hardly Sneaky: Even with full Concealment buffs for stealth, there's always a good chance you're not going to get to your target before being knocked out of stealth. Sneak is super useful, and yet it's on a longer cooldown than a charge or sprint. Stealth is like wearing a white cloth over your head and screaming "I'm a ghost" if you are healing or lethality spec.

7. It Takes Forever To Get Out Of Combat: Stealth is our gimmick in this game, and its the only one we have. That being said Cloaking Screen has so much value in our arsenal and shouldn't be squandered because we've ran half way across the map and are still in combat.

6. Our Resource Is Not Effective: Energy blows in comparison to focus and force users who can endlessly waste and burst with no consequences. Even for healers, the curve for heals per energy in comparison to Sorcs and BH was lacking. I don't know how this fairs though in 1.2 because I haven't tried healing yet.

5. It's A Dying Class: Besides Smugglers, were the least played class according to he guild summit. Now we share that demographic with snipers, gunslingers, and scoundrels. How many of us are there really? and why hasn't BW done something to make this class attractive?

4. Lack of Utility: Our only gimmick is stealth and stuns, if we are concealment. Lethality and Healers generally does not rely on stealth to do their jobs so toss that one out. What you are left with is a bag of stuns, a 3 second dodge, and a very weak shield. No pulls, sprints, charges, knock backs, invulnerability, or out of stealth CCs. Our offensive and defensive abilities just don't match up.

3. Constantly Nerfed: I played Concealment in Beta and it pooped on kids. But since then, every major patch has effectively nerfed concealment damage for the soul purpose of Pvp problems. Bioware denies it, but I haven't found many happy with Concealment in 1.2 and they pay the bills.

2. Lethality < Concealment PvE: Technically 1.2 did buff our class with a slight increase to dps and a better rotation, thus making concealment good in PvE again. Unfortunately Lethality is still about 200 dps behind concealment despite it being better for AoE and multiple targets via dots.

1. Lethality > Concealment PvP: Lets face it Concealment is out. I had a full BM Operative who and I can't get my Hidden Strike to crit over 4k for the life of me anymore. I have to roid up if I even want to attempt somethings tricky. My lack of CC gives me little utility, which is something you need when fighting in melee, especially if you dont heal from dots and dmg. We're not bruiser, were not even tanky. The improved rotation, though useful, means nothing when you have to balance it constantly with multiple targets. Concealment is great point to point, but if you defray it over multiple targets you do nothing. With my burst gone, it was easy to pick the more attractive lethality.

Sorry guys for being a *****, I just really had to get this all off my chest. These are the reasons I struggle with everyday. I've been very faithful to this class in hopes of improvement, but it seems BW cares more about other classes, because they have move players. Well if our class in not attractive that's your fault BW.

Edited by devroz

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like everyone is complaining about classes right now, I've actually wandered out the trooper forum to try and find a class who aren't complaining as I plan on starting a new character. My journey continues ... :)

I'd recommend Powertech or Vanguard or PvP. They definitely have the dps and tankyness right now.

*** planet are you living on where a operative doesn't have CC? I'm seeing tons of battlemaster operatives lately putting up 250k+ damage and healing a match.

He said no out of stealth CC. And he is correct.

I play both a Sorc and an Op. there is no comparison at all as to utility.

IA has better survivability, sure, but running away in stealth is still not healing so not markedly different from respawn and run back in one does as Sorc.

Relax.

Your grass is green too. Read any class forum and everyone has something bad to say. It's the nature of the mmo beast.

Stick with the class you like the most or don't play. Quite enough whining from the entitlement crowd in every other entertainment venue.

I agree its very frustrating to have your chosen class nerfed to oblivion and beyond. I am with you 100% on this topic. All I wanted to play was an Agent. I loved it and got it to 50 before 2 weeks were gone after game released. Then the nerfs and the crying from the "golden" children came flooding in to Bioware. And Bioware became very alarmed! Oh no! we don't want to lose 1/2 the lightsaber wielding players! Nerf Agents and Smugglers till they quit! This is Star WARs! We must bow down to the holy Lightsaber and Mandalorians!

This game is WoW flavored Star Wars. No, wait, that's an insult to WoW. I hear that WoW players in my county have left SWTOR to go back to WoW. I have no idea what this game is supposed to be. A game that doesn't have pvp campaign, that is pve gear grind to the next pve gear grind, and only pretty lightsabers to look at isn't what I signed up for.

Excuse me if I am snarky. This game was just a big disappointment for me.

Relax.

Your grass is green too. Read any class forum and everyone has something bad to say. It's the nature of the mmo beast.

Stick with the class you like the most or don't play. Quite enough whining from the entitlement crowd in every other entertainment venue.

Read the marauder forums. They are having an orgy over there.

The Op has valid arguments and I feel the same way. I do have other classes but the operative was my favorite because it was played less. Why should everyone be funneled into playing 1 class because it has all the utility *cough assassin* because that is what is going to happen. Players who decide to stick it out are going to reroll and you will see less and less operatives. Why even have the class then unless you want new players to stumble into agent and find out they wasted their time leveling it up to get ganked in pvp.

Sure there is more to offer, lets take a pvp player and give them the choice to play operations instead for their character. Yay, good solution!

Agreed with the OP. I don't *like* to complain, and I truly want to see this game go well. I love the Star Wars universe, love the futuristic setting.

But as was mentioned, this is feels like no more than a re-skinned WoW - which was what I was hoping it would *not* be. As far as the nerfs go - I can understand that perhaps our burst damage was too high, meriting the first nerf. But the changes in 1.2 are ridiculous.

You want to nerf something? Nerf the BH DPS. They're still coming out on top with DPS.

I'm one of the people that has chosen to stay with TOR for a while longer, since it *is* a young game. But I've been playing games for a lot longer than TOR or WoW - as far back as Anarchy Online in 2001 - and using the "This game is only 4 months old" excuse will only help EA for so long. I've seen games in Alpha and Beta testing stages that are more 'complete' than TOR is.

Balance is, of course, one of those things that can be difficult to manage. But is rewarding stupid people (the people that run out ALONE in pvp and whine that they didn't see the oper coming and died) with a nerf to classes they don't like REALLY the right way to go?

I have no doubt that everything will calm down 2 or 3 years from now - my issue is that if it takes 2 or 3 years for this game to finally be properly balanced, I will have already left to other games. TSW and GW2 are both coming out soon, and both sound very tempting!

Please, Bioware - work harder on full balance of classes!

Edited by lentWolf

Yep here it is:

7. It Takes Forever To Get Out Of Combat: Stealth is our gimmick in this game, and its the only one we have. That being said Cloaking Screen has so much value in our arsenal and shouldn't be squandered because we've ran half way across the map and are still in combat.

Friendly hijack - add your support here; http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=413050

(re-stealthing bug)

He said no out of stealth CC. And he is correct.

Welcome to being a Gunslinger. Although we have dirty kick and flash grenade, oh wait. So does IA. You're lucky enough to have a stealth CC..

Even using CCs in combat against players it only lasts about 8 seconds. Which is the same duration as flash bang. You just have an extra CC to use. Be happy.

Seems like everyone is complaining about classes right now, I've actually wandered out the trooper forum to try and find a class who aren't complaining as I plan on starting a new character. My journey continues ... :)

What with the "Commando is the worst class in the game" thread, I'm not surprised. What surprises me is why you came looking in the Operative forum for people not ************ :confused:

This is one of the few posts that I agree with 100%. Agents in general are borderline unplayable. In PvP we are now officially cannonfodder. I gave up on my operative because with both the concealment nerf and the nerf to healing in general makes us useless.

I tried spec'ing heals and i could barely keep myself alive in PvP, healing the rest of my team was next to impossible.

Bioware you should just delete the IA class and replace it with a cinder block, that would be more useful.

Edited by Phlem

What with the "Commando is the worst class in the game" thread, I'm not surprised. What surprises me is why you came looking in the Operative forum for people not ************ :confused:

Funny thing is commandos and vanguards are still owning warzones, guess the complainers should L2P instead of only having to mash 2 buttons!

So much crying on this forum, tends to be why I don't come here very often.

My guild is currently clearing the new content with me as a DPS operative, according to the parsers I am only ~5-6% behind the marauders in the guild. When I choose to PvP, I am normally up at the top of the damage meters for the warzone, and have no issues bursting anyone down. This is with full recruit gear + BM chest and Rakata Weapons.

We have no issues clearing content because of enrage timers, at this point it is just coming down to learning new mechanics.

Stealth being a gimmick? Sorry, but I don't see it as such, you can turn invisible...The fact that it won't let you re-stealth as quickly as when you were playing your Rogue on WoW is annoying, but its tolerable. Your burst damage is still very high, especially if you are attacking the right target, like the healers. In PvE this really a non-issue, since you won't be leaving combat until the fight is over unless you cloaking screen.

6. Our Resource Is Not Effective: Energy blows in comparison to focus and force users who can endlessly waste and burst with no consequences. Even for healers, the curve for heals per energy in comparison to Sorcs and BH was lacking. I don't know how this fairs though in 1.2 because I haven't tried healing yet.

If managed correctly, energy is an extremely powerful tool, you just need to work on a better rotation and have better energy management forethought. Try using Overload shot less.

3. Constantly Nerfed: I played Concealment in Beta and it pooped on kids. But since then, every major patch has effectively nerfed concealment damage for the soul purpose of Pvp problems. Bioware denies it, but I haven't found many happy with Concealment in 1.2 and they pay the bills.

This just sounds like you are upset because you can no longer kill people before they are even let out of your stun. I feel like if this was reversed and a class other than yours could basically kill you before you were even able to react, then you would probably be on their forums complaining instead of this one, whiners will always whine, doesn't matter what MMO.

2. Lethality < Concealment PvE: Technically 1.2 did buff our class with a slight increase to dps and a better rotation, thus making concealment good in PvE again. Unfortunately Lethality is still about 200 dps behind concealment despite it being better for AoE and multiple targets via dots.

I fail to see your point here, do you want higher DPS when there are multiple mobs? Like when? Operation trash mobs? In PvP, concealment has almost always been the stronger spec, if anything I would like to see a DPS boost to Lethality to single target DPS to make it viable for well....anything.

1. Lethality > Concealment PvP

I stopped reading here, you are just wrong.

5. It's A Dying Class: Besides Smugglers, were the least played class according to he guild summit. Now we share that demographic with snipers, gunslingers, and scoundrels. How many of us are there really? and why hasn't BW done something to make this class attractive?

I rather enjoy not having to compete with anyone for gear because less people play my class. I had full main spec and off spec Rakata before some people in my guild had even finished their full main spec. It is actually enjoyable for me to work on my rotation, and figure out the best way to move in and out of melee unfriendly boss mechanics to maximize my DPS in ops. It can be done, it just requires a little bit more finesse.

All in all, the operative class is by no means "unplayable" and I see no reason to "quit my operative" I think that the majority of the people that play the operative are just unaware of how to manage certain mechanics of the class.

If we could have more constructive topics about ways to maximize dps, ability rotations, and the best way to optimize mods and enhancements for the best possible DPS (Pro tip, the standard mods / enhancements in Rakata is nowhere close). Then I feel a lot more people would be happy with their IA.

Edited by Crittlesticks

go gunslinger.... seriously go gunslinger

In honour of 1.2 I created my very first Operative. She's now level 11 and I'm having a blast. I'm sorry if whatever nerfs happened happened to pre-existing characters, but never having played one prior to 1.2, I'm not noticing anything too awful.

The story is a lot of fun. It's easy to play dedicated Imperial worker bee without being caught up in the whole light/dark thing.

Somebody is always going to be complaining about something. If you are looking for a class that everybody likes and nobody complains about, you might as well just give up now and save your money.

I agree its very frustrating to have your chosen class nerfed to oblivion and beyond. I am with you 100% on this topic. All I wanted to play was an Agent. I loved it and got it to 50 before 2 weeks were gone after game released. Then the nerfs and the crying from the "golden" children came flooding in to Bioware. And Bioware became very alarmed! Oh no! we don't want to lose 1/2 the lightsaber wielding players! Nerf Agents and Smugglers till they quit! This is Star WARs! We must bow down to the holy Lightsaber and Mandalorians!

This game is WoW flavored Star Wars. No, wait, that's an insult to WoW. I hear that WoW players in my county have left SWTOR to go back to WoW. I have no idea what this game is supposed to be. A game that doesn't have pvp campaign, that is pve gear grind to the next pve gear grind, and only pretty lightsabers to look at isn't what I signed up for.

Excuse me if I am snarky. This game was just a big disappointment for me.

I love you.

In honour of 1.2 I created my very first Operative. She's now level 11 and I'm having a blast. I'm sorry if whatever nerfs happened happened to pre-existing characters, but never having played one prior to 1.2, I'm not noticing anything too awful.

The story is a lot of fun. It's easy to play dedicated Imperial worker bee without being caught up in the whole light/dark thing.

She's lvl 11, how would you notice anything too awful?