Beginner's Bounty Hunter FAQ and Guide

AnubisXy

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post very helpful. On your merc build for arsenal I think i would change one thing. Take the two points out of afterburners and place one in Integrated systems and the other in Kolto vents, just seems a little better for leveling and flashpoints / endgame for the healing and regen.

Great thread :D just hit lvl 10 BH and I was kinda afraid of choosing an advanced class knowing it cant be re-rolled!

Im curious if anyone knows though: Im looking to spec for PvE damage. Are there generally more Powertech DPS'ers or Mercenary DPS'ers around, and second would either be more preffered over the other in raids etc?

I'm not a massive MMO player, only ever played WoW as a Paladin Tank, and figured I'd go DPS on my BH.

I know it'll possibly vary from server to server, but is there usually more of an abundance of ranged dps or melee dps?

The Powertech can dish out damage just fine. The Mercenary however can generally dish out easier damage (Tracer Missile spam); which is powerful but admittedly can be kinda boring.

The Mercenary is also a ranged class, which means they tend to take less damage in most fights and have more uptime on targets (since they're less likely to get hit with knock backs or point-blank AoEs or have to chase the enemies around).

Finally, Tracer Missile puts a 20% armor debuff on the target that the entire party/raid can make use of.

So, from a pure PvE DPS perspective, Mercenaries are generally preferred over Powertechs, but it's not a big issue. Powertechs (well, to be more specific, Pyrotechs; AP Powertech is not doing so hot right now) can belt out fantastic damage.

Personally, I would recommend checking in with your guild and seeing if they care which class you take to the raids for DPS. If they don't care, then play whichever you enjoy the playstyle of more.

Edited by AnubisXy

I'm not sure if this has been brought up already since I just started using these forums and didn't feel like browsing through the whole thread. When I looked at your choices for PVE arsenal and PVP pyrotech (since that's what I go as for each) I noticed that you take 2 points in system calibrations for both.

In PVE arsenal I personally don't take it because that little extra alacrity would jeopardize the chance of venting 8 heat from the terminal velocity talent since it has a 3 sec internal CD. As for pyrotech as far as I know ( I could be totally wrong) alacrity only decreases activation time and does not affect DOT abilities making the alacrity only applicable to unload and power shot, where power shot is hardly used by myself in PVP.

Not trying to flame or anything just wondering what the reasoning behind that choice was.

What Percentage should Accuracy Crit surage and power be at to make a merc most dps effective for Raids and world bosses?

My guild wants to start getting a raid group together when raiding starts and I want to be a part of it. so I want to be very effective.

Granted, I haven't gotten very far along with my Powertech, but I have taken a look at talent builds and have a very serious question regarding talent builds.

I looked at the post and saw the talent builds, then looked at second tier talents in both shield tech and AP. I came up with this build, http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMZfhbbdGhrs.1 and compared to your build, http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hzZMsZfhbbdGhrs.1 .

My question is, diving into the second tier of shield tech and AP look like they have nice benefits. Is it better to go shield tech for 9% more Aim and 3% more rail shot damage, or AP for 60% armor ignored by rail shot and 3% increased crit from combustible gas cylinder.

I'm a level 18 powertech, I want to spec into shield tech so queue times for dungeons aren't so long, is it viable in solo pvp and pvp though?

And what kind of rotation should I be using in pve and pvp?

great guide but i was wondering how do you build up your defenses against internal and elemental attacks? going up against jedi in pvp is no treat especially when ive spent hours and unlimited credits building up my defenses just so they can bypass them. i would think a shieldtech tank would be able to withstand a helluva lot better than what ive been seeing. why bother wearing any armor at all - save alot of time of lying to oneself - if this is the case?

in case you were wondering, these are my current defensive attributes -

15163 H

7554 AR

48.15% DR

13.11% DC

47.94% SC

37.11% SA

ive been dead in 3/4 hits numerous times and to take on 2 at a time id be seriously overmatched because of my limited capabilities with dps being a shieldtech.

i also do not understand how juggs get far better defensive statted mods for their gear than bhs do.

great guide but i was wondering how do you build up your defenses against internal and elemental attacks? going up against jedi in pvp is no treat especially when ive spent hours and unlimited credits building up my defenses just so they can bypass them. i would think a shieldtech tank would be able to withstand a helluva lot better than what ive been seeing. why bother wearing any armor at all - save alot of time of lying to oneself - if this is the case?

in case you were wondering, these are my current defensive attributes -

15163 H

7554 AR

48.15% DR

13.11% DC

47.94% SC

37.11% SA

ive been dead in 3/4 hits numerous times and to take on 2 at a time id be seriously overmatched because of my limited capabilities with dps being a shieldtech.

i also do not understand how juggs get far better defensive statted mods for their gear than bhs do.

No juggs do not get better defensive stats in their gear. They do get more stats in defence, but that is just how they play, in any case you are supposed to use shiel chance/shield absorbtion in place of a a lot of defense.

As for pvp, yea.... Defense, SHield, accuracy debuff only work against normal not-crit attacks. Like rail-shot, unload, etc. Further your armor only works against kinetic dmg meaning what? Force lightning completely bypasses absolutely all of your defenses.

That said yea Tanks are in a pretty sad state, but I believe for balance sake in Group Vs Group combat it must be like that. (Get a pocket healer and you will see what I mean)

PS: Juggs may appear better tanks than you because their talented cd, gives them 40% dmg reduction, instead of the 20% accuracy debuff that urs does. The accuracy debuff which is pretty much useless in pvp...