Beginner's Bounty Hunter FAQ and Guide

AnubisXy

I would like to lvl as a tank as long as its not going to kill more brain cells the wow fishing did. lol

I'm actually leveling as a tank. You can tear stuff down just fine, and with Mako backing you up, it isn't too difficult to do some of the 2 player content, or gold star enemies, on your own without breaking a sweat.

You might kill a little slower, but it's a marginal difference. The Powertech puts out good damage regardless of spec.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic information. Thank you for taking the time to put that all together. Second, I plan on going Mercenary dps. Can anyone give me some suggestions for crew skills that will benefit me the most? Since I'm not in the game yet, I'm taking the time to plan out my skills, build, etc. so I can hit the ground running with a plan. Thanks again.

Really, when you get down to it, Sweltering Heat is more of a PvP talent than a PvE talent.

So for a PvE build, Sweltering Heat isn't a big deal. The AI in the game isn't fantastic, so enemies generally don't run away from you; when they do it isn't very far, usually just a few yards. Further, as a Merc, even on those rare occasions when they do run, I've never seen a mob run out of your attack range (unless they get bugged).

If you need to use snares frequently in Operations then yeah, spec into Swealtering Heat. But I can't imagine that happening - certainly it isn't the case right now.

At the same time, I'll admit that you don't get CC'd very often in PvE, but there are enemies who do knock backs or throw out snares or roots or stuns, even in raids. When that happens, an extra 8 heat dissipated isn't bad.

For end game PvE, I think you're going to get a little more use out of Gyroscopic Alignment than you'll get out of Sweltering Heat.

Well, on closer examination my 'extra utility while soloing' argument for Sweltering Heat is shot to heck when soloing comes with one of two built in tanks. Gonna have to get used to that... thank you for the well thought out response.

Hello,

a question.

in the pvp build for the mercenary Pyrotech, i see you dont take Degauss.

can you give a reason for that?

thanks

i'm gonna quote myself, since all i see is 'good post good post" but no real discussion..

no, you cant get post counts here. :p

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm really glad everybody seems to like it. :D

in the pvp build for the mercenary Pyrotech, i see you dont take Degauss.

can you give a reason for that?

Sure thing. I'm gonna be honest - of all the specs I put together, this was probably the toughest decision, and I vacillated back and forth quite a bit. During the beta I tried the spec both with Degauss and without it, and my playstyle caused me to not quite like Degauss as much as you might think.

As I said in the Powertech vs Juggernaut/Assassin section, Powertech cooldowns need to be used proactively rather than reactively. I don't think that this idea changes in PvP. Energy Shield is a good ability, but it's a bit subtle. It reduces damage you take by 25% for 12 seconds. That is a difference but only significant once at least eight seconds have passed. If you use it and die five seconds later, or use it and finish the fight 5 seconds later, it would have been better to have popped the ability earlier.

If you wait until you get below 50% health to activate it, you very well might not live through the full duration. Often times in group PvP, even in PUGs, people naturally tend to target players with lower health. So, ideally you want to try to keep your health as high as possible for as long as possible. Popping Energy Shield while you're at <80% health means that you'll probably get the full duration, unless you have 5 or 6 people attacking you at once.

During the beta, when I had Degauss, I found myself using Energy Shield less for the protection and more for the extra mobility break. I tended to hold off on using the ability, because I felt that I needed to use it at the "right" time - and there were several fights where I waited so long to use it, it didn't make much of a difference when I finally did. I was already so low on life even with the shield and break free I died not too long afterward.

Furthermore, in group PvP you're going to be frequently getting hit with stuns, knockdowns and immobilizers. I felt that getting Heat dissipation from Gyroscopic Alignment Jets, and getting the freedom to pop Energy Shield early in the fight rather than holding off, was a bit more useful than taking Degauss.

But, that decisions was very much a "Your Mileage May Vary" section of the build, and if you would rather take Degauss, then by all means, feel free to do so! I certainly don't think it's a bad talent at all. I just found that it turned Energy Shield from a pro-active cooldown into a reactive one, and I didn't like the way that that changed my PvP playstyle.

*EDIT* I think I'll add the above to the Pyrotech segment since you're probably not the only one who was wondering about that.

Edited by AnubisXy

Excellent Post.

As a former dedicated healer in other MMOs I will be transitioning to tank this time around.

As a weekend tester I really enjoyed tanking as Shieldtech (lvl 27). I briefly attempted tanking classes in WoW and LOTRO but they felt pretty clunky and I honestly didn't get up to the higher level abilities due to loss of interest. With PT the balance is there between damage and survivability. Pair yourself with a competent sorcerer who can regulate CC adequately and you can have a real good time in 4+ Heroic Quests. Personally this time around tanking for me is more intense than my previous experiences...it's hard not to use my "Death from Above" CD due to the CC'd Gold mob that's too close to the weaker ones grouped up in the vicinity.( Ya I know, not really a wise decision but I love the ability nonetheless)

As another poster mentioned we are pretty blessed having a healer support crew member right off the bat so solo questing isn't much of an issue that is unless you don't equip a shield and then you find out how much damage it helps mitigate.

All in all I only played a Jedi Shadow and the PT...and while I like the utility of the Stealth DPS class, the survivability is what makes this class (PT) fun.....plus when you have gratifying animations like DfA and "Get over Here!" Scorpion Grapple just makes the gameplay much more enjoyable.

Edited by PDubs

itswell written, but im seeing alot of information here, that conflicts with otherplayers posts on the forums, and im going to stick with the majority on this one.

Umm... like which information conflicts with what players are saying? If something is wrong, I'll be happy to update or change it or even erase it. But you gotta point out to me where the problem is, especially if you're saying that a majority of my FAQ, or even just a significant minority of it, is totally wrong.

I admit, I'd be surprised if much of anything is wrong. Most of what is written here is very basic descriptions of how the mechanics of the class and some of its abilities work.

But if there is a problem, please let me know what it is.

Edited by AnubisXy

Is Aim the best stat for the powertech-tank (as it is written) ? If isn't present what stas better to take to the tank ?

There are 4 "Primary" stats plus Endurance. The primary stats are Aim, Strength, Cunning, Wisdom, and each class focuses on one stat. Bounty Hunters use Aim. Sith Warriors use Strength. Imperial Agents us Cunning. Sith Inquisitors use Wisdom.

Aim adds a bonus to all of your attacks. Cunning only adds a bonus to your tech attacks. Strength only adds a bonus to your kinetic attacks (like Rocket Punch). Wisdom doesn't add much to anything.

Since Aim boosts all of your abilities whereas the other stats only boost a few, clearly Aim is far superior to other stats for a Bounty Hunter.

Getting gear that is +Strength, +Wisdom or +Cunning is pretty much a waste - you're almost always going to be better off using a piece of gear that has +10 Aim than using one that has +20 Strength or Cunning.

For Secondary tank stats, you want to focused on Shield and Absorption where possible, though gear that has bonuses on those stats is incredibly rare. That means you're pretty much stuck with Defence for most of the game.

Edited by AnubisXy