Beginner's Bounty Hunter FAQ and Guide

AnubisXy

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, how do shieldtanks use Mako?

I use with heal bonus and am wondering if I really need too.....

Ps.. Awesome thread

I just set Mako to Med Watch, activate all of her abilities and let her do her own thing. She still throws out attacks and seems to do decent enough damage. The only ability tend to manually take control of is Electro Stasis.

Do we have a breakdown of preferred of the best companion for Merc? I'm liking Mako atm because of her heals/dps hybrid.

From what I understand the tank NPCs are not in a good place right now; they tend to be way to squishy. Which is unfortunate - if I were playing a Merc I would want to run around with Blizz tanking for me.

I suspect that Mako will be the most useful companion when you're fighting Gold enemies, but you could probably get by with any companion for regular questing.

It would basically be 99% the same as the PvE spec, just that you would put a point into Power Shield.

I guess I should link a build regardless.

The problem with Mako is her heals don't seem to catch up with my squishyness as a merc.

Really was wondering about the tank companions as I can offheal them and that would get rid of me being squishy

Grats on the sticky! Great guide. Much appreciated by me and others who I've referred to this post.

I just got to lvl 30 and I've only seen the LS/DS relics from the vendor in IF. Any tips on where I can find neutral side relics? Torhead has some under lv30 listed but not much info on where to obtain them. Thanks in advance!

Maybe a strange question, but ... what profesions are the best for a PowerTech BH? Im still on first planet but its better to plan your next move :)

The crafting system underwent a significant, last-minute change during the final weeks of Beta, so until we get a real end game economy, it's impossible to say what profession will be best.

It's possible at end game Armstech or Armormech will be very powerful professions. But, off hand, I would suggest Cybertech or Biochem for the resuable items.

The problem with alot of people saying "armortech" is that the gear will not remain "great" it looks cool now but the minimal stat difference between heroic drops won't make someone a better player. Pick a profession you think YOU will like for your reason's because that is what they are for.

Not to mention you can also have alts none of that gear is Bop anyways.

Edited by waywardx

...I suspect that Mako will be the most useful companion when you're fighting Gold enemies, but you could probably get by with any companion for regular questing.

For regular enemys I found Gault one of the best buddyes for BH, from point of view of powertech, I guess that for merc this should not looks another. Gault greatly boost BH DPS, but for some gold ****** his ubernesses is not enough, with good old Mako I have no problem with killing most of them in good old slow but sure style.

Edited by Urukkhan

Is not useless since it lowers the GCD of all your skills.

Not exactly.

From the research that people have been doing, the system for Alacrity is a bit complicated so bare with me.

Alacrity modifies the speed of channelled or casted skills, skills which do not actually use or interact with the "global" cooldown system. Instant cast abilities on the other hand do make use of the GCD.

Here's an example. If you can stack enough Alacrity to get Tracer Missile down to a 1.3 second cast time, you'll be able to cast your next Tracer Missile as soon as the first one is done; ie, 1.3 seconds later. Same thing if you used a channelled spell - a Madness Specced Sith Sorcerer who managed to get Force Lightning down to a 1.3 second channel time would be able to use it every 1.3 seconds.

This is because Cast/Channelled skills don't actually invoke the GCD.

Instant cast abilities however do invoke the GCD, which has a hard limitation of 1.5 seconds and (which currently) is not affected by Alacrity. No matter how much Alacrity your stack, after casting Flame Burst, you will always have to wait 1.5 seconds to cast a second Flame Burst.

For Powertechs, almost all of their abilities are instant cast - and their channelled spells have such long cooldowns that Alacrity is an almost entirely useless stat.

Now, assuming that this is correct (and the testing done so far suggests that it is) then Alacrity is pretty much a "ranged class only" skill and isn't useful for any of the melee classes, since the melee classes rely far more heavily on instant cast abilities.

*EDIT* For a bit more, here's a link

with a breakdown of video comparison Alacrity on instant cast abilities vs cast-time abilities, and it's pretty clear that stacking Alacrity had no effect on the GCD for instant cast abilities. The video was taken on December 3rd, and I haven't seen any Bioware patch notes saying that they changed how Alacrity works since then.

If this changes I'll be happy to alter the guide.

Edited by AnubisXy

Does anyone has a link to the Bounty Hunter Compainion gift preferences. I've seen other class breakdowns, but thought this would be a good place for the BH breakdown.

By the way, I love this guide. It helped me (game wise and mentally) for what I would do with my BH. I thought my Merc would be a run and gun type, but I got ready for a stationary weapon platform and made choices after reading here since prerelease.

Very thankful!

Does anyone has a link to the Bounty Hunter Compainion gift preferences. I've seen other class breakdowns, but thought this would be a good place for the BH breakdown.

By the way, I love this guide. It helped me (game wise and mentally) for what I would do with my BH. I thought my Merc would be a run and gun type, but I got ready for a stationary weapon platform and made choices after reading here since prerelease.

Very thankful!

Yeah, check out this great guide.

It breaks it down pretty well and has two graphic charts.

http://www.oldrepublic.net/261-swtor-companion-gifts-guide-how-buy-your-love.html

Did anyone else have their skill tree plan set for Heatseaker Missles?

I found this great skill tree calculator for every class: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300ZRckrordRkfz.1

Bounty Hunter has 41 skill points. It would appear that I need to wait until I get to lv50 to get all 41 skill points. If I missing something here please point it out. Like is there a way to get skill points through PVP or is it 1 point per level?

I see you all talking about get this skill or that skill but according to that calculator to get certain skills you need level up the following rows:

Arsenal example (Bodyguard and Pyrotech trees are different requirements but very similar)

Row 1 needs 6 points to move up

Row 2 needs 4 points to move up

Row 3 needs 5 points to move up

Row 4 needs 5 points to move up

Row 5 needs 7 points to move up

Row 6 needs 5 points to move to the final skill that needs 1 point.

Final skills Heatseaker Missles, Thermal Detonator, and Emergency Scan require spending 31 points.

Unfortunately you cannot get to final skills however maybe this will change with a level cap increase.

I will have 10 points left to spend in other trees and will most likely focus on endurance, accuracy and crit

Please give me some feedback!