Beginner's Bounty Hunter FAQ and Guide

AnubisXy

fantastic guide, played a BH last night to around level 7 and was enjoying it, but still cant make up my mind what I want to be.

I play Paladin in WoW, and generally a healer in group stuff, but would prefere to tank/dps in swtor i think

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great write up. Primary reason for the post is to bump. I scanned through the discussion and did not see anything about the healing build skipping improved vents. Have not done any math or experienced it in game, but would have figured that would be worth picking up.

Overall a great guide, thanks.

Great write up. Primary reason for the post is to bump. I scanned through the discussion and did not see anything about the healing build skipping improved vents.

Yeah. You could easily swap out two of the points from Powered Insulators for Improved Vents. I never really found that I had much trouble with the heat system as long as I was paying attention, and 50 Heat dissipation was plenty for me. 4% damage reduction can add up to quite a bit less damage to yourself over the course of a raid.

But, if you find yourself frequently needing to deal with burst healing at end game, then Improved Vents would probably be a better choice than Improved Vents. Certainly Improved Vents will be necessary if you plan to level as a Bodyguard spec; until you have all of your healing abilities, you'll be having to just try to power through quite often and that can build up heat very quickly.

Having leveled as a dedicated healer in other MMOs, I can attest to the painfulness of that plan. (I leveled a Holy Paladin in vanilla WoW.... I think I may have undiagnosed masochistic tendencies)

That being said, how painful/painless is it to level a healer BH? Do you still put out enough damage to make it viable as a leveling spec, or is it best to simply level as Deeps and then respec at max level to be a healer?

I see that pretty much all of the PvP Mercenary builds here are single tree. But what about sacrificing Thermal Detonator and two (relatively useless) points to get Kolto Missile and Critical Reaction for a Pyrotech/Bodyguard hybrid?

11/2/28

You'll play mostly just like the traditional Pyrotech Merc, but without Power Shot (which, face it, is much worse than Tracer Missile) and Thermal Detonator (which is really just a big Explosive Dart). Instead, you use Unload and Rapid Shot to proc Combustible Gas Cylinder (most of your damage will come from applying DoT effects), and you will have Kolto Missile on the side for utility (instant AoE heal every 6 seconds is insane, even if it's a 13 point investment), as well as Rapid and Healing Scan. Essentially, a Mercenary can play an entire match without stopping for more than a second at a time with this build.

As far as allocation goes, I suppose you could drop 2 Degauss for 2 Infrared Sensors or Integrated Cardio Package, but I like having that extra CC removal. Everything else is pretty much mandatory.

Edited by Suzut

I see that pretty much all of the PvP Mercenary builds here are single tree. But what about sacrificing Thermal Detonator and two (relatively useless) points to get Kolto Missile and Critical Reaction for a Pyrotech/Bodyguard hybrid?

Kolto Missile is a very minor heal. At end game it heals for around 5-8% of someone's health. You tend to use it for the +10% healing bonus that you can talent Kolto Missile for.

Thermal Detonator is one of the hardest hitting, single-target abilities in the game, among all of the different Advanced Classes. If it crits on a Light Armored character, don't be surprised if it deals as much as 20%-25% of someone's health.

Your spec idea certainly isn't bad. It is a bit more group dependent though. If you frequently run with a group of guildies or friends, it seems like it could end up being pretty useful.

Kolto Missile is a very minor heal. At end game it heals for around 5-8% of someone's health. You tend to use it for the +10% healing bonus that you can talent Kolto Missile for.

Thermal Detonator is one of the hardest hitting, single-target abilities in the game, among all of the different Advanced Classes. If it crits on a Light Armored character, don't be surprised if it deals as much as 20%-25% of someone's health.

Your spec idea certainly isn't bad. It is a bit more group dependent though. If you frequently run with a group of guildies or friends, it seems like it could end up being pretty useful.

Yes, it usually is used for the shield, but it is instant-cast with a short cooldown and it does heal multiple people for a good amount of HP.

I think the Mercenary class in general is relatively group-dependent.

Great guide! I was wondering if you had any suggestions for the dps specs as to what talents you should focus on putting your talent points into first?

For leveling?

It doesn't matter too much. But, if you're going Powertech you might want to consider leveling as a tank and bringing along Mako. It's what I've been doing and I can snooze through the class quest missions and even do the Heroic 2+ missions without too much difficulty.

I also kill things really fast and almost never have to heal myself except after a fight with a gold star or silver/gold star enemy.

If you're set on DPS both Arsenal or Pyrotech are both equally viable for leveling.

If you're leveling as a Mercenary then probably an Arsenal spec would be best.

As for actual talent point distribution just follow the basic specs at the beginning of the guide, putting 5 points into each tier as you go up.

Again, there's really not a lot of room to play around with the talent trees - most of the talents are pretty obviously geared towards PvE or PvP. With a leveling spec, if you spend most of your time questing, you're probably just going to want to put your points into the PvE talents.

Edited by AnubisXy