Imperial favoritism in design

DuSStyBottoms

It's been mentioned numerous times in countless threads detailing each and every benefit the Imperial faction has over the Republic but I heard something new tonight.

Taris is the 3rd planet Republic characters travel to. Every Republic player I know hates it with a passion due to it's large size and the fact we don't get a speeder at that level. The amount of time it takes to travel from place to place is mind numbing and I don't blame them. As a matter of fact most people skip it entirely and strictly PVP during those levels.

Tonight I learned that when the Imperials get to their 3nd planet, Nar Shadaa, they get little speeders that spawn on the ground to cut down on travel time. Having never played an Imperial alt this was the first time I've heard of this. Why the bias towards Imperials and when will we get temporary speeders on Taris?

edit: mispoke meant to say 3rd planet as Taris is ours as well.

Edited by DuSStyBottoms

It's been mentioned numerous times in countless threads detailing each and every benefit the Imperial faction has over the Republic but I heard something new tonight.

Taris is the 2nd planet Republic characters travel to. Every Republic player I know hates it with a passion due to it's large size and the fact we don't get a speeder at that level. The amount of time it takes to travel from place to place is mind numbing and I don't blame them. As a matter of fact most people skip it entirely and strictly PVP during those levels.

Tonight I learned that when the Imperials get to their 2nd planet, Nar Shadaa, they get little speeders that spawn on the ground to cut down on travel time. Having never played an Imperial alt this was the first time I've heard of this. Why the bias towards Imperials and when will we get temporary speeders on Taris?

you are right about imperial favoritism, but wrong about the planets.

the second planet you go to is Balmorra on imp side and its bigger than Taris.

Taris is the 2nd planet Republic characters travel to. Every Republic player I know hates it with a passion due to it's large size and the fact we don't get a speeder at that level. The amount of time it takes to travel from place to place is mind numbing and I don't blame them. As a matter of fact most people skip it entirely and strictly PVP during those levels.

Tonight I learned that when the Imperials get to their 2nd planet, Nar Shadaa, they get little speeders that spawn on the ground to cut down on travel time. Having never played an Imperial alt this was the first time I've heard of this. Why the bias towards Imperials and when will we get temporary speeders on Taris?

2nd imperial planet is actually Balmorra. Those "speeders" on Nar Shaddaa add barely anything to your speed and are only in few places. However, even then the benefit is minimal as they despawn from a single hit and the corridors are filled with mobs. I don't even use them unless I finish a quest right next to them, not worth the time to click it lol.

2nd imperial planet is actually Balmorra. Those "speeders" on Nar Shaddaa add barely anything to your speed and are only in few places. However, even then the benefit is minimal as they despawn from a single hit and the corridors are filled with mobs. I don't even use them unless I finish a quest right next to them, not worth the time to click it lol.

They aren't that big of a deal, but it still seems like a slap in the face to pubs that loath taris. taris sucks major on pub side. It is lvl 20-24 and is a pain in the *** with no speeder. If you guys don't like the speeders we'll take them.

Edited by Gustehbus

those speeders are on the republic side too right?

The OP's point is that the lvl 20-24 planet (right before speeder @ 25) for imps has nice little speeders laying around to help get from point A to point B. Nar Shaddaa isn't really that big so it doesn't seem like much.

Taris is horrible for pubs. Its huge, and the travel time there sucks. I know me and my entire guild pvp 20-25 just to skip that place.

It would be nice if we were granted the luxury of temporary speeders like imps, at least we would appreciate them.

Edited by Gustehbus

Taris is the 3rd planet Republic characters travel to. Every Republic player I know hates it with a passion due to it's large size and the fact we don't get a speeder at that level. The amount of time it takes to travel from place to place is mind numbing and I don't blame them. As a matter of fact most people skip it entirely and strictly PVP during those levels.

Tonight I learned that when the Imperials get to their 3nd planet, Nar Shadaa, they get little speeders that spawn on the ground to cut down on travel time. Having never played an Imperial alt this was the first time I've heard of this. Why the bias towards Imperials and when will we get temporary speeders on Taris?

edit: mispoke meant to say 3rd planet as Taris is ours as well.

Um....you realize that imp third planet is Balmora right? 4th is Nar Shaddaa just like Rep. I play both sides and honestly see absolutely no game breaking differences. People tend to gravitate towards that "evil" side. Look at WoW and the horde imbalance.

Here's a nice pro tip for Taris: Go play kotor, watch it get nuked, now go play SWTOR, enjoy the view!

Seriously people, learn to take in the awesome scenes of destroyed buildings and marauding rakhghouls who can not turn you into one for some reason.

HAH. Imperial favoritism...

Try to get an open robe for an inquisitor. You know, the kind you can wear with pants instead of a skirt. As far as I know only one exists on the imperial side and that happens to be a random mob drop around lvl 36-37.

Quite a few of those on the republic side though...

:D

45% speed; not much but it helps. Like I said, at least we would appreciate it :)

It really doesn't help. Assuming you use the speeder for the full duration, you saved 16 seconds over running with sprint (35%). An average person will save less than a minute total on Nar Shadaa by using them, since they are only available in one of the sectors.

I enjoyed Taris both as a pub and as an imp- I thought it was pretty cool getting to see the planet.

Also- there's almost no tie ins with imps to KOTOR and KOTOR II (one small bit with revanites on DK, then on Foundry), while pubs gets plenty even early on- so that favours pubs quite a bit. The Pub story often feels like playing KOTOR III, and is pretty nostalgic, not to mention feels far more like the movies and previous SW lore.

Regardless, nit picking about stupid little things like worthless speeders for a brief section of the game is pretty petty- we get it, they didn't make the republic and imperial stories the exact same- deal with it.

No they aren't.

Yes, they are lol.

First of all on the Imp side it goes home planet, Dromund Kaas, BALMORRA, Nar Shaddaa.

On the Pub side it goes home planet, Coruscant, TARIS, Nar Shaddaa.

Balmorra = Taris (Both planets are large and require a great deal of time to get from point A to point B)

Nar Shaddaa is a shared planet between the Pub and the Imps. I have ridden those speeders with my Imp toon as well as my Pub toon.

Why dont ppl research this stuff before posting? Im so tired of it. A few weeks ago it was all about how BH were sooooo different than Troopers. All it takes is a 5 min fact check and threads like this would never happen.

It really doesn't help. Assuming you use the speeder for the full duration, you saved 16 seconds over running with sprint (35%). An average person will save less than a minute total on Nar Shadaa by using them, since they are only available in one of the sectors.

I am pretty sure it sacks with sprint. If you ever used your normal speeder to run through mobs, you might notice your speed drops a tad and increases back up when you leave and enter combat due to sprint :)

Personally, Taris is one of my favorites because of the nostalgic tie-ins to KotOR.

From a size perspective, I didn't find it all that large either, compared to later planets like Tatooine, Alderaan, etc. And once you know where the outposts are after you've played it through once, you learn to "tag" some nearby taxi stands/bind points so you can quickly shuttle around.

Plus, I'm not really in that much of a hurry....

Yes, they are lol.

First of all on the Imp side it goes home planet, Dromund Kaas, BALMORRA, Nar Shaddaa.

On the Pub side it goes home planet, Coruscant, TARIS, Nar Shaddaa.

Balmorra = Taris (Both planets are large and require a great deal of time to get from point A to point B)

Nar Shaddaa is a shared planet between the Pub and the Imps. I have ridden those speeders with my Imp toon as well as my Pub toon.

Why dont ppl research this stuff before posting? Im so tired of it. A few weeks ago it was all about how BH were sooooo different than Troopers. All it takes is a 5 min fact check and threads like this would never happen.

Hell they might be there for all I know. I have my speeder by the time I'm done grinding through Taris.

You're right though I should have researched in what order Imperials go to which planets. I've never leveled up an Imperial and was under the impression you went to Nar Shadaa 3rd instead of 4th.

the lack of KOTOR fans in this topic is disturbing :(

either way... comparing Taris and Balmorra (both 3rd planet) ... I must say I freaking do not ever actually play anything on Balmorra except my class quest. on my very first imp char I did the mistake of actually questing there. yuck. ... back then I didn't know that Taris and Balmorra would be 'exchanged'. imagine how excited I was to finally go there... in my lvl 30s!

if you asked me, they are actually favouring the Republic in this case!

and Nar Shaddaa? yes, there is .one. whooping sector where you can use those teeny tiny speeders. so? I thought Nar Shaddaa as a whole was a bit lacking in said sector, and I was attacked all the time anyway, so I ended up not even bothering with them. could they have added them on Rep side? sure, but they aren't really needed on Imp side either.