Meetra Surik(The Exile) Cooler than revan IMO

Vektarulz

well I think the end story of her is better in the Raven book they made her look like a mindless woman just doing what Raven wonted her to do, even when he was not there and then

she get stabbed in the back to save he life and naiver becomes one wit the force to keep hem safe (sooo lame)

but then...

she may not be dead as she called a "living spirit" in the republic version of meting Raven some have said that means she alive???!!

so there that that made her seem odd and a bit lame

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just gonna say again all the attacks on a Author of StarWars books and no realisation of what a Author has to go through to get Published through LucasArts .

Ok... I know I said I would never reply to another one of these posts... but I'm sick of it! We have the right to express our opinions of any author out there. Be it Star Wars authors or whatever! If YOU can't deal with that, then that's on YOU. Not on whoever is expressing their distaste at certain authors' works. Also, I do hope they put the same restrictions in place at LucasArts as they had 20 years ago. I really do! Just so nothing like the Karen Traviss debacle can happen again. It's easier than you think to get published by LucasArts. As George doesn't really care about something unless someone tells him and it DIRECTLY affects the continuity of his characters or the races he created. Only times I've heard of him directly saying something in the ExU was wrong were the "Wookiee Jedi incident" and the original Jedi Code. He declared that no more Wookiees could become Jedi, and had them revise the Jedi Code to replace "yet" with "There is no".

Now, as to Karpyshyn vs. Avellone, I was very disappointed with the whole direction of that novel, and I actually LIKED Scourge up until he killed Meetra. Hey, I even like him ingame. He isn't that great of a Tank, but he's cool to talk with. Anyhow, I really hope BioWare hires Avellone to write for them. KotOR II's story was a masterpiece, for what was there of it due to time constraints.

I'm really hoping that in Legacy, the race changes aren't just pallet swaps and that Republic/Jedi NPCs actually REACT to Purebloods or Chiss among their ranks. Should make for some interesting story points.

LEAVE REVAN ALONE!! LEAVE HIM ALOOOOONNEE~!!!! *SOB*

On a more serious note. This wouldn't be the first time a powerful force user was killed from behind. Didn't solo kill Sidious that way?? I could be totally wrong as I'm not as experianced in the EU but I think I heard something about Han shooting Sidious in the back and killing him. (I have no knowledge whatsoever of how that happened so Palps could have been blind death and dumb when that happened for all I know)

Ok... I know I said I would never reply to another one of these posts... but I'm sick of it! We have the right to express our opinions of any author out there. Be it Star Wars authors or whatever! If YOU can't deal with that, then that's on YOU. Not on whoever is expressing their distaste at certain authors' works.

I am going to reply to this because it shows how commited people are to themselves and not to the wellness of others.

I am allowed to express my opinion of others who spend their days attacking Authors over their obsession of characters , If you can't deal with it than it is on you .

Another proof that a set group believes "My Opinion > Yours".

Exile was treated well in the book and Drew was very much in the rights of what he did and to say he did not like or care for the character is reaching because nothing states otherwise .

He would of have her died in the begining or tripping over her own two feet or most of all would not have build her into the ONGOING TOR story of Revan in which she plays a MAJOR Role into Revan's story as she has since KotoRII .

Her dieing is the only reason there is any Drew hate and it shows by the type of people who post these post to begin with .

Karen Traviss killed Mara Jade ............OMG SHE DESTROYED CANON and is BAD , anything before that point of killing Mara Jade was mostly praises by the StarWars community.

Drew killed Meetra Surik , OMG HE DESTROYED CANON and is BAD , before that Novel not much was ever said about Drew in the StarWars community other than his other works which were praised.

Lets talk about Nililus , easily more powerful than Meetra and died to her in the worst way possible , but yet I am not making forums how his death was handled weak by the writer.

Krayt killed by Cade Skywalker after already defeating Cade ...........lol I am not on StarWars forums constantly calling out that Author.

The list goes on, they are characters and often die in ways no one wants and often the fan base of such characters will never be pleased with . Get a Job at LucasArts and try to bring them back from the dead and you will see why they were killed and who really is to blame . Life goes on ! :D

Edited by mefit

LEAVE REVAN ALONE!! LEAVE HIM ALOOOOONNEE~!!!! *SOB*

On a more serious note. This wouldn't be the first time a powerful force user was killed from behind. Didn't solo kill Sidious that way?? I could be totally wrong as I'm not as experianced in the EU but I think I heard something about Han shooting Sidious in the back and killing him. (I have no knowledge whatsoever of how that happened so Palps could have been blind death and dumb when that happened for all I know)

Empire's End. It happened very much as described. Brand caught Anakin as he fell, and handed him to Leia before absorbing Palpatine's spirit and trapping him in the Force.

Good Britney referrence, btw! :D

The Exile was immune to Nihilus's draining ability because they were both wounds in the Force. Nihilus basically tried to drain the Force/Life from a void. All it did was weaken him for the effort.

The Exile isn't the only being that existed without the Force. Yuuzhan Vong were severed from the Force on a species level.

Yes I know, the Exile being a wound in the force makes him/her more unique and special than Revan.

I haven't read the NJO books but I'd heard that it was eventually revealed that the Yuuzhan Vong are still connected to the force on some level.

As for the rest of the thread, I've never felt any connection of Meetra Surik because she's not the character I played (I would have preferred neither protagonist's gender was canonized, but unlike the first game I actually found the male PC's story was clearly better in Kotor 2), but from what I know of her fate in the book it was a pretty pathetic end that a character as important as the Exile didn't deserve.

With that said, didn't Revan meet a pitiful end too? It seems a little weird to claim that Karpyshyn favors his creation so much that he wants to make Revan the best thing ever while simultaneously using the things that happened to Revan from the book he was in and the game itself to show that the Exile is better than Revan.

But really I never felt that either of them felt like they had inherently more character than the other. They were mostly blank slates for the player to fill in. If anything Revan's past was more clearly defined that the Exile's. If Revan had more "fans" in universe than was warranted that is one thing, but it was not everyone and it doesn't inherently how well either of them were as a PC. That is just how well other characters were written.

Edited by OldVengeance

Empire's End. It happened very much as described. Brand caught Anakin as he fell, and handed him to Leia before absorbing Palpatine's spirit and trapping him in the Force.

Good Britney referrence, btw! :D

Oh ok then, and thank you! :p lol In response to the thread I really like both Revan and Meetra, but honestly like Revan more, just my preference and I'm not saying he's a better character or anything.

Honestly though I did kind of get the feel the exile was a bit over powered on my third and fourth playthrough of kotor 2, she did have certain given advantages over the Sith Lords she faced (except Sion imo cause that fight was just awesome, although I feel if she didn't break his resolve then he would have just kept getting up until one of them was exhausted and Sion had a planet backing him up) and I don't know much about sever force but an ability that can leave a powerful opponent completely helpless in one strike does seem a bit unfair.

My two cents.

Edited by Airmo

And Revan was literally cooked and fed on for 300 years, lol.

he resisted the emperor for 300 years. thats more than anyone can say. Revan knew his ****, and you bashing drew karpshyn is very disrespectful to one of the best sci fi author of our time.

and about meetra being a sacrificial lamb, what else was supposed to happen? the trio was in a very tough bind, Revan had been defeated, he was their best chance. meetra wasnt going to make it out of the throne room and you know it.

sounds like youve got some lame crush on "the exile" that you cant appreciate good story telling.

Revan is end all be all, he always was when bioware thought up the kotor storyline. meetra surik was always a means to an end, nothing more. a story element. this was and is revan's story.

he resisted the emperor for 300 years. thats more than anyone can say. Revan knew his ****, and you bashing drew karpshyn is very disrespectful to one of the best sci fi author of our time.

Because Meetra gave him the strength to do so. I would also suggest learning the word 'Criticism'.

and about meetra being a sacrificial lamb, what else was supposed to happen? the trio was in a very tough bind, Revan had been defeated, he was their best chance. meetra wasnt going to make it out of the throne room and you know it.

You missed my entire point, I have repeatedly stated over and over I do not care whether or not Surik died, but it should have been done in a way that actually respects the characters growth, not do a 'BAM! dead, move along.' scenario, when you take a character from somebody else's work, that automatically places upon you the responsibility to respect the work the creator of that character had done and do your best to reflect that, that is one of the basic 404's of artistry and recreation, no matter what your theatre of work.

sounds like youve got some lame crush on "the exile" that you cant appreciate good story telling.

Sounds like you still don't understand the basics of writing in an IP you don't own.

Revan is end all be all, he always was when bioware thought up the kotor storyline.

Exactly, you just reinforced my point, Revan was the protagonist/End all be all of Knights of the Old Republic, the Exile was the protagonist of the sequel Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, they were the heroes of their own mediums.

Drew Karpyshyn decided he would end the story to both of these characters, Drew's creation Revan was always at the forefront of his mind, he had completely forgotten about the responsibilities he had placed upon himself the moment he decided to include a character that he didn't create.

You do not take someone else's character and completely marginalize them and demean everything the character is meant to be for the sake of furthering your own creation, that is character murder 101, this is the exact point I have been trying to put across, hopefully you finally understand what I mean.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

She got cast out of the order for doing the right thing(must of made her mad but she dident turn)

..... erm, i hate to break it to you but how is destroying a planet killing numerous innocents, mandalorians and republic soldiers the right thing. Well at least the force thought it was wrong since it cut her off from it temporarily.

..... erm, i hate to break it to you but how is destroying a planet killing numerous innocents, mandalorians and republic soldiers the right thing. Well at least the force thought it was wrong since it cut her off from it temporarily.

Going to war because of the genocide of a planet, trying to bring those responsible for this war crime to justice and ending a battle before it could reignite into full-scale galactic war? that is not the right thing to do?

She used Sever Force on herself, facts right next time please.

It was the only way to win the war. It was a pyrrhic victory at best, but it did the job. In war, hard choices have to be made.

Also, she cut herself off from it. She used her Force Sever power on herself in pain and regret. She still had to live with what she'd done for the rest of her life.

EDIT: No, it wasn't the RIGHT thing to do. It was the ONLY thing to do.

Edited by Captain_Zone

You missed my entire point, I have repeatedly stated over and over I do not care whether or not Surik died, but it should have been done in a way that actually respects the characters growth, not do a 'BAM! dead, move along.' scenario, when you take a character from somebody else's work, that automatically places upon you the responsibility to respect the work the creator of that character had done and do your best to reflect that, that is one of the basic 404's of artistry and recreation, no matter what your theatre of work.

she did die fitting the character. they led an all or nothing assault on the emperor. thats heroic, thats selfless, thats how those heroes shouldve gone out.

it was all or nothing. they just got nothing.

she did die fitting the character. they led an all or nothing assault on the emperor. thats heroic, thats selfless, thats how those heroes shouldve gone out.

What she died for was fitting, the way she was killed was completely OOC, she had three different and very strong senses of battle precognition, yet she cannot even sense the impending betrayal of Scourge and she dies instantaneously, despite having survived worse.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

What she died for was fitting, the way she was killed was completely OOC, she had three different and very strong senses of battle precognition, yet she cannot even sense the impending betrayal of Scourge and she dies instantaneously, despite having survived worse.

she was in the heat of battle watching her lover (practically is) getting cooked well done. yeah i wouldve overlooked impending betrayal as well. . .

seriously, you are meetra fanboy hard! man, your arguements are just lame

she was in the heat of battle watching her lover (practically is) getting cooked well done. yeah i wouldve overlooked impending betrayal as well. . .

Well done, you just invalidated your own argument, try harder next time.

Wow, really??? Ummm, Meetra and Revan were never lovers. She was more of a sister to him. She might have had feelings for him, but he was in love with Bastila.

It was the only way to win the war. It was a pyrrhic victory at best, but it did the job. In war, hard choices have to be made.

Also, she cut herself off from it. She used her Force Sever power on herself in pain and regret. She still had to live with what she'd done for the rest of her life.

EDIT: No, it wasn't the RIGHT thing to do. It was the ONLY thing to do.

Don't think you needed to edit that in, to be honest.

The right thing to do isn't always the "good" or "best" thing.

On a sidenote, I was always under the impression that the Mass Shadow Generator was built under Revan's orders, (as part of the strategy to defeat the Mandalorians) then entrusted to Surik as she was the only one of the Generals he could trust with it.

It wasn't the right thing to do , these are the type of things that was heading Revan and Malek to the darkside . Meetra felt every death and cut herself off from the force .

^ More proof she was willing to do things that hurt herself over her love of Revan ( "as a Brother or whatever ")

Revan wanted to win at any cost , and that cost was morally wrong and everyone involved went down the dark path but Meetra .

Agreed ! Self Sacrifice is what Jedi do , and that is why she is the Hero of the Revan Novel !

Agreed ! She loved Revan like a Brother but it is strange to me how it is writen in KotoRII and on , the woman put herself in harms way more than once just because of Revan . She followed unquestioningly even in KotoRII .

Saddly people who hate Revan like Meetra but Meetra was in fact kinda writen to be a Revan FOLLOWER . She was writen that way in KotoR II long before Drew even touched her !

Don't think you needed to edit that in, to be honest.

The right thing to do isn't always the "good" or "best" thing.

On a sidenote, I was always under the impression that the Mass Shadow Generator was built under Revan's orders, (as part of the strategy to defeat the Mandalorians) then entrusted to Surik as she was the only one of the Generals he could trust with it.

It was built under Revan's orders but Meetra comanded it . Meetra seemingly being someone he seemed to trust more than everyone else and she was only second under Malek in the War .

Agreed ! She loved Revan like a Brother but it is strange to me how it is writen in KotoRII and on , the woman put herself in harms way more than once just because of Revan . She followed unquestioningly even in KotoRII .

Saddly people who hate Revan like Meetra but Meetra was in fact kinda writen to be a Revan FOLLOWER . She was writen that way in KotoR II long before Drew even touched her !

I guess you missed every single thing Meetra says in the canonical light side play-through then, she agreed with the Jedi and condemned Revan more than once, the Dark Side play-through has her stating that joining Revan was the right thing to do, considering you get dark side points for it.

You claim she is written that way, yet 'that way' is also the Dark Side play-through, the fact she left Revan instead of turning to the Dark Side to follow him says far more than I need to state.

I guess you missed every single thing Meetra says in the canonical light side play-through then, she agreed with the Jedi and condemned Revan more than once, the Dark Side play-through has her stating that joining Revan was the right thing to do, considering you get dark side points for it.

You claim she is written that way, yet 'that way' is also the Dark Side play-through, the fact she left Revan instead of turning to the Dark Side to follow him says far more than I need to state.

your signature takes away your credibility. most of your arguements have been completely one sided and your sig is evidence that you are utterly biased in this discussion. therefore this thread should be closed as you have effectively closed yourself off from any form of debate as your mind has been made up.

/thread

your signature takes away your credibility. most of your arguements have been completely one sided and your sig is evidence that you are utterly biased in this discussion. therefore this thread should be closed as you have effectively closed yourself off from any form of debate as your mind has been made up.

/thread

Yeh, because you aren't a Revan fanboy at all just look at your first post, says everything better than I could.

Fact is, Meetra Surik was not just Revan's sidekick, not matter how much you, mefit or Karpyshyn would like her to be.

Yeh, because you aren't a Revan fanboy at all just look at your first post, says everything better than I could.

Fact is, Meetra Surik was not just Revan's sidekick, not matter how much you, mefit or Karpyshyn would like her to be.

so basically what ur saying is that this thread should be closed because both of us are too biased to discuss it anymore? im down with that!!!

besides, its too bad for you because she died a sidekick and there is nothing you or you or you can do about it because IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN! and thus, it is canon LOL jokes on you meetra fanboy/girl.

for what its worth. im sorry.