The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

why is bioware so darned concerned with war zones?

I think with the lack of LFD tool more people including myself gave up on wasting hours everyday trying to get a flash point going and started doing war zones alot more as it does have a LFG tool and you can still quest and queue up anywhere. I'm sure they look at their numbers and see that a whole lot of time is being spent in the war zones.

I do like both pvp and pve and think they should spend equal time on both but bringing in a LFD tool will increase flash point activity greatly and reduce war zones.

exactly why i said bioware should come out with incentives to join groups instead of wasting time on wz

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure any of that made any sense to me. Are you supporting the OP's view of one sided game play?

If you are, consider a movie theater only selling M&M's because that's all that you eat when you go to the movies.

Moreover, like telling your children to not wear their seatbelts they drive because you drive safely.

I can go on and on.

Mostly, I think the OP is most likely a minor enjoying the attention.

it isnt just my style, its the style of all true gamers. the people who will keep this game alive. the only reason so many people wz so much is because bioware has been lacking in its attention to pve, groups cant get formed, and the only thing to do is wz. once this is fixed i guarantee the number of people in wz will drop by at least half.

real gamers focus on the things that matter and if they are not catered to then they will leave.

and the part timers, the wz lovers, they are fickle by nature and will leave no matter what once the next big thing comes around

All these statement of absolution, really thwart your argument.

Real gamers, so someone who has a Battlemaster title is not a real gamer? Even I disagree with that.

I do agree PvPers tend to be as centrally focused as your original post, but I think there is more than enough content to PVE out there considering the launches of other MMOs (like WoW) that had NONE.

No matter how your spin it, one sided, "I'm a real gamer because I PvE," statements deflate what you're saying like a popped balloon.

If PvP doesn't get love, the PvPers leave. If they leave, the subs go down as so does BioWare's budget. No budget, slower content. You should be begging for more PVP whether you play it (lol) or not.

i never said pve should be the sole focus, i said bioware should have its priorities straight. if it continues to throw time and money at an aspect of the game that caters to the 'weekend warriors" of the MMO world. the people who only play to get a quick fix of "action" with no plot or story line or real purpose instead of improving the parts that keep serious gamers in place, the entire game will crumble into a footnote on the pages of video game history. real gamers focus on the things that matter and if they are not catered to then they will leave.

and the part timers, the wz lovers, they are fickle by nature and will leave no matter what once the next big thing comes around

Until reading some of your posts, I thought that I was about as Carebear as a person can get. However, you sir, take the cake.

A "real" gamer is one who enjoys games. Your personal preference of style of play does not dictate otherwise. You accuse PVPers of being "fickle" yet this game is 85% devoted to PVE and you are crying because more is not done for you.

Edited by TheBBP

I was a total 100% PvE'er before WZ's. They make PvP accessible and should be encouraged as much as possible I think.

..and the people who just cast non stop without strategy or using skills are on the loosing side.

I was a total 100% PvE'er before WZ's. They make PvP accessible and should be encouraged as much as possible I think.

..and the people who just cast non stop without strategy or using skills are on the loosing side.

That's gospel right there. PVE is really just stand there and mash buttons for some. You really wanna enhance your skills, try a WZ or two, and then go back to PVE. You will see a world of different.

Gospel he speaks!

it isnt just my style, its the style of all true gamers. the people who will keep this game alive. the only reason so many people wz so much is because bioware has been lacking in its attention to pve, groups cant get formed, and the only thing to do is wz. once this is fixed i guarantee the number of people in wz will drop by at least half.

So all "true" gamers don't pvp?

That's gospel right there. PVE is really just stand there and mash buttons for some. You really wanna enhance your skills, try a WZ or two, and then go back to PVE. You will see a world of different.

Gospel he speaks!

The biggest difference is that in warzones you mash buttons while you move.

Fairly positive they turned out to be the most consistently active and generally best received content.

so to recap, PvE is most important, open world pvp is second. and those frilly little "war zones" deserve the least of biowares attention while the game is still developing.
PvE in this game is so easy anyone who can actually reach level 50 is able to clear it, they basically designed open world PvP out of the game with just enough cross-over points to be able to deny having basically designed open world PvP out of the game.

No doubt their own metrics support my above statement, that warzones are the most consistently active and generally best received content in the game (and yet there's still plenty of QQ about them).

Edited by Ansultares

because PvE IS the game. without it the game would just be a poorly designed shooter

Actually that's only half true. PLAYER vs Environment; PLAYER vs PLAYER....Player IS being the main focus of the game. People need to stop crying. Sound like a bunch of kindergarteners whining about who got a bigger cookie.

I'm not understanding all the hate for PvP.

I consider myself a PvE'r mostly, as that is where the majority of my focus is.

However, I see the need for PvP not only in terms of alternative gameplay, but also for the population it brings to the table. You can't assume a 100% PvE game will be successful, much less stay financially solvent.

Additionally, I went and did my first PvP last night. I had held off because I'm not really into PvP much, but let me tell you, I had a blast!

I'm planning on exploring PvP further, given the fun I had.

But, I will still be a PvE'r, and yet, I would never call for a 100% PvE focus, because it's about the dumbest thing one could ever ask for.

I"m about ready to give up WZ all together.. Why? Because most days I'm just food for the others.. Just yesterday, I and a friend queued up and it was always the same TEAM.. I was a 28 trooper, buddy a 27 trooper, and we were the 2nd and 3rd highest level toons for the Rebs.. We did have a 40 Jedi, but everyone else was in their teens or low 20's... We were NEVER close to winning any WZ.. The Imps were solid with no one under 25th level and most of their team was 40 plus.. We stood NO chance against them.. The gear stats were just too wide spread to compete.. We would end one WZ and enter another with the exact same teams.....

So why bother playing

dont get me started on thet i got into 3 wz today with over 3 ppl who had no advance class

.....lets just say we lost pretty hard:(

I'm not understanding all the hate for PvP.

I consider myself a PvE'r mostly, as that is where the majority of my focus is.

However, I see the need for PvP not only in terms of alternative gameplay, but also for the population it brings to the table. You can't assume a 100% PvE game will be successful, much less stay financially solvent.

Additionally, I went and did my first PvP last night. I had held off because I'm not really into PvP much, but let me tell you, I had a blast!

I'm planning on exploring PvP further, given the fun I had.

But, I will still be a PvE'r, and yet, I would never call for a 100% PvE focus, because it's about the dumbest thing one could ever ask for.

Actually EQ lasted welll over 10 years with PVP only being an afterthought on 3 servers. But I still agree with you. I think Bioware should cater content for PVP players even if I am a PVEer. I really do and in fact I think they should balance the game based upon PVP. PVE people can adapt to changes much easier imo.

they should be focused mainly on improving and expanding the PvE experiance. more ops, more HM's more class quests, fewer bugs, more incentive for groups to form, etc

open world pvp should be their secondary. better rewards for illum kills and even more benefits for chancing across people while questing and beating the tar out of them.

"organized" pvp warzones should certainly be the least of their concerns. wz serve no purpose other than to farm gear and unimaginative titles. it requires no skill whatsoever. you get ported to a place with a bunch of people and you run around casting till it times out.

in open world pvp you have to know what youre doing. you have to know your class and theirs or you die, repeatedly, untill you have to port back to a med droid ashamed.

and open world pvp gives you a sense of real accomplishment. the knowledge that you are a better player than the one you just killed. you know how to use your skills and the environment better than the poor fool you just merc'd. THAT is what MMO's were maid for.

so to recap, PvE is most important, open world pvp is second. and those frilly little "war zones" deserve the least of biowares attention while the game is still developing.

Translation: What I like is bestest and most important, what other people like is not. It really is useful to have a view of things somewhat broader than that of a kindergartener when you try and discuss things intelligently.

Edited by Cancrizans

I"m about ready to give up WZ all together.. Why? Because most days I'm just food for the others.. Just yesterday, I and a friend queued up and it was always the same TEAM.. I was a 28 trooper, buddy a 27 trooper, and we were the 2nd and 3rd highest level toons for the Rebs.. We did have a 40 Jedi, but everyone else was in their teens or low 20's... We were NEVER close to winning any WZ.. The Imps were solid with no one under 25th level and most of their team was 40 plus.. We stood NO chance against them.. The gear stats were just too wide spread to compete.. We would end one WZ and enter another with the exact same teams.....

So why bother playing

Are you sure that the Imperial side wasn't a pre-made? If it is, you're probably not going to win. Ever.

I'd also like to add that, when I PvP on my trooper who's about the same level, my side usually has a pretty decent spread across the levels. I'd still say I win more then I lose.

To answer to OPs question, BioWare is concerned about WZs over Open-world PvP because WZs are more challenging. It doesn't help that there are very few areas where the Republic (not the Rebs) and the Imperials come into close proximity, outside of Ilum, which can be a pain if there aren't many people there.

Second, random Open-world PvP can easily be swayed by someone in better gear, whether your class is OP, and/or a higher level. In WZs the boosting puts people on a much more level playing field. I'm not even level 30 on my Commando, and I'm usually fist or second on my time, and we usually win our matches. At this point the only thing I don't think I've killed 1-on-1 is an Operative. And that's because I've never run into one one-on-one without me being already near dead.

Third, it's easier to balance WZs. Since you have to have a full or near-full team, or the match ends in three minutes, you don't have to worry about compensating for the under-dog team. Blizzard made that mistake with Winter's Grasp. Ran into a Feral Druid that took six people to bring down, just due to the insane amount of health she had. No thanks. In a WZ, you can get away with mixing locations of the objectives up, you just have to put an analogue on the opposing faction/teams side.

Fourth WZs are a lot smaller. You can pack more detail and environmental obstacles into them in less time, and drastically change the landscape. Much harder to do in an area the size of Ilum or, in the case of true open-world PvP, a place like Tattooine.

if WZ were removed from te game completely tomorrow, absolutely nothing else would change.

The server populations would, drasticly!

You seem to think that PvP is irelevant and that few people do it. You're badly mistaken. A large percentage of the players in any MMO are PvPers.

Even Bio realizes that PvP is important if they want to keep a large chunk of their playerbase's subscriptions.

BTW, if you want to play a MMO that has no PvP check out "Gods and Heroes; Rome Rising". It was released without PvP. But dont expect to see too many players on any server since the game pretty much died at birth, probably because of no PvP. That's why I never played it.