Running away from OW PvP

lordkhouri

Literally. I was playing my BH Healer on Alderaan, at lvl 32 riding my speeder down a road when i spot a lvl 33 sage! So i chased her down and when i got close enough fired a few blaster shots her way to knock her off her speeder. Her first move was to run away for some reason, so i stunned her, killed her companion, then chased her down and killed her as well.

Now this is on a PvP server, so I'd assume that's what people are looking for... but why would someone run away? I proceeded to /laugh and then /say Why run? . Then i took off.

Anyone else had a bizarre encounter like this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people may just not be looking for a fight right then and try to escape. Or maybe she knows as a sage she's totally boned against a BH in single combat and tried to escape, hoping you'd give up if she led you on long enough. You have to admit, she was a free kill pretty much even if she'd been 3-4 levels higher.

One time, at band camp..

Oh I'm sorry for posting a story about PvP. I should edit my original post slightly to make it more like this:

-Marauders are OP!!! NERF THEM!

-Tanksin shouldn't be allowed to wear DPS gear!!! They need to be nerfed!!!

-Merc healers are soooooooooooo underpowered and getting nerfed in 1.2!?!!?!?!?! THSI IS BS! I'M UNSUBBING!!!

etc....

Sorry again. I won't make the same mistake next time...

Or maybe she was afraid of what happens in like 70% of the OW-PvP encounters when you are on republic side: As soon as you engage in the fight more imps than the total number of repub players on your planet will show up to roast you.

There is no incentive for a single player on the outnumbered side to pick up a fight.

I've had a few encounters like this as well, also been the one running away sometimes.

I think it boils down to a case-by-case thing. Some people play pvp servers for the added thrill of knowing that at any time an enemy might come mess up your questing. Other players like us play pvp servers because we specifically want to fight in the open world. Then there's cases where people are just too busy to turn around and fight, so they try to get away and go back to questing.

On the whole, however, I think the lack of open world pvp that we experience is due to the lack of a currency reward for doing so. Luckily this will be changing soon and I think people will be a bit more encouraged to participate in open pvp when it happens.

Edited by Nukor

im typically not a fan of leveling up with the planet quests. so the other person could have just wanted to get them over with as little delay as possible

someone else mentioned that on a lot of the servers imps just outnumber the pubs by a silly amount. I know on my old server there were plenty of times when i'd start fighting an imp and then it'd quickly become 2v1 or 3v1. it doesn't add much incentive to the average players(i know the uber players can do the 2v1s and 3v1s. . .usually i can't unless htey suck baaaaaaad)

My story of OW pvp is a bit more embarrassing.

I was lvling my 6th character (sorc) in alderaan, doing my usual resource gathering.

In the 6 characters I've run through this zone, I've never seen a republic player.

I was approaching one of those giant wolf like creatures to kill it, when suddenly i was taking fire from behind.

For a moment, I was puzzled.. 'what the heck is attacking me??"

I turned around and saw a robot (first).. then a moment later noticed the trooper behind it.

Again.. I paused thinking.. " what kind of NPC is that??? I've never seen a human mob this far up the mountain before...."

* pew.. pew...* I take more damage.

I shocked the robot, whirlwind the trooper. Still thinking to myself... "why is this mob attacking me, where did they come from???"

FINALLY... I looked at my target view and finally realized it was a Republic PLAYER attacking me.... well.. duhhh..

Of course.. rather than fight back... I just stood there thinking.... "Wow... a real honest to goodness Republic player??!!! What should I do.....??"

I died a few moments later... still pondering how I would react to the situation.

I'm just so used to NEVER seeing an opposing faction player.... I just didn't know what to do with myself.

I thought about hunting him down, but... meh... seemed like too much work, with little reward.

I've got 1 50, and 8 other characters in the mid 30's, and this is perhaps the 3rd time I've ever encountered a member of the opposition.

I should probably move to the RP PVP server, since I'm more inclined to chat, than fight.

Literally. I was playing my BH Healer on Alderaan, at lvl 32 riding my speeder down a road when i spot a lvl 33 sage! So i chased her down and when i got close enough fired a few blaster shots her way to knock her off her speeder. Her first move was to run away for some reason, so i stunned her, killed her companion, then chased her down and killed her as well.

Now this is on a PvP server, so I'd assume that's what people are looking for... but why would someone run away? I proceeded to /laugh and then /say Why run? . Then i took off.

Anyone else had a bizarre encounter like this?

I had this exact same thing happen to me on Alderaan a couple nights ago. Only I chased the sage across the entire map and she hid in the enemy base.

There are still cowards on PvP servers. /shrug

Edited by Varicite

My last OW-PVP encounter was far more epic. I turned and saw a level 10 imperial on corellia... being level 50 in mostly champion gear... I felt threatened... so I kicked my level 3 speeder into gear chased it down and force leaped... 1 shot!

afterwards I felt remorseful (well not so much), and to this day I still wonder what the H a level 10 imp was doing on corellia....

Given they're closing down Illium it may be my last OW-Encounter in SWTOR... I find that fitting.

lol

you know I feel a string of low level gankings coming on...

Edited by VoidJustice

I was playing my BH Healer on Alderaan, at lvl 32 riding my speeder down a road when i spot a lvl 33 sage!

I had this exact same thing happen to me on Alderaan a couple nights ago. Only I chased the sage across the entire map and she hid in the enemy base.

So, the weakest class in 1v1 tries to survive by disengaging from a fight...why do you guys find it so surprising?

So, the weakest class in 1v1 tries to survive by disengaging from a fight...why do you guys find it so surprising?

I play a shadow tank, and I don't have the self-heal or Force Shroud yet. The sage was 3 levels above me. I thought it would be a good fight.

Apparently, they did not agree. : )

Guy was probably questing and didnt feel like wasting time in a system that has no loser upon failure/death which also means no one really wins either.

No rewards + meaningless outcome = no one pvping.

Y'know, some of us PvP just because we like to fight people, and the "thrill" of outplaying another human being is enough reward generally.

Which is why we rolled on PvP servers.

My last OW-PVP encounter was far more epic. I turned and saw a level 10 imperial on corellia... being level 50 in mostly champion gear... I felt threatened... so I kicked my level 3 speeder into gear chased it down and force leaped... 1 shot!

afterwards I felt remorseful (well not so much), and to this day I still wonder what the H a level 10 imp was doing on corellia....

Given they're closing down Illium it may be my last OW-Encounter in SWTOR... I find that fitting.

lol

you know I feel a string of low level gankings coming on...

You should have done the right thing, and stuck around and killed them again. Shame on you. Your darkside/lightside powers are hereby revoked.

Edited by Mirthadrond

You know, I like BJ's. That doesn't mean I'm looking to cram my bobo between any pair of lips that gets at me puckered up. Nahmean?

Sometimes, maybe they just don't want to play with you.

Just saying: it's not necessarily cowardice or not enjoying PvP or whatever.

Edited by hairlessOrphan

You know, I like BJ's. That doesn't mean I'm looking to cram my bobo between any pair of lips that gets at me puckered up. Nahmean?

Sometimes, maybe they just don't want to play with you.

Just saying: it's not necessarily cowardice or not enjoying PvP or whatever.

I'm working on my 3rd 50. This is the first time I have spotted an enemy player while leveling since my FIRST 50, back in December. I play on a pretty balanced server too, so my faction does not outnumber the Republic by a huge margin; in fact, Republic is stronger on my server, so I can't imagine they are stygmatized by constantly being farmed.

So in 3 months, this was literally the first time I even encountered the opportunity to world PvP on a PvP server.

I had to jump on the chance. : )

But you're right, it's not always cowardice. I just always assume it is.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.