Will the future bring desired changes? Raph Koster?

Aikes_Itso

Make your own MMO then, and pray you can find a handful of other players that would care enough about you to log and in be your minions. :p

Not interested in Minions. At any rate, I have the skills to do the programming, you footing to capitol?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from this thread, they sure brainwashed the masses pretty well....

Koster might've failed with SWG, but at least he tried to do something new...Bioware just copied WoW and reskinned it. Hey, if the focus is massmarket, that's the way to go.

Nothing beats nullsec of Eve though...stalemates are boring, but when alliance wars heat up..it's the best experience ever. To the OP: take a look at Eve, or even Darkfall.

Edited by Dizzident

I disagree. An implement of sandbox gaming is exactly what this game needs as players are achieving level 50 too early and consuming all the content before is made. BW/EA shoudl give the community what they promised from inception, a sanbox/themepark hybrid.

With sandbox elements, players can keep themselves busy until the next expansion. Besides, its not like adding more to the game will hurt it; adding more will make it better. That said, there are a huge number of sandbox enthusiasts that would make implementing sandbox elements worth while and profitable in terms of new subscriptions, like the 500,000+ gamers playing EvE Online looking for a new sandbox to play in these days. :)

Let's not discount the 5,389,895 people who bought Minecraft, 7,291 of which bought the game in the last 24 hours: http://www.minecraft.net/stats. 5,389,895 players... that is more than SWTOR's total number of subs now. Imagine SWTOR with just 1/3rd of thsi player base added to our servers.

For those of you who think sandbox wont add subs, quit your marketing jobs.

Minecraft is $20-30 less then what we pay for swtor or wow for the box copy.

SWTOR has a sandbox.... its called Tatooine..

Plenty of sand there.. build some castles... maybe a mout... water.. no no water round... damn... oh even have a sandman... like snowman but sand...

Oh wait... that isn't what you ere referring to...

There should be sandbox elements in every MMO

I have to agree there. I have never been much of an RPer, or a "socialite" in games. I mostly like to craft and raid with a bit of PvP rage on the side.

However, often times in the many years I played SWG, I would visit a cantina (where some people spent half or more of their playtime) and experienced a conversation or ran into an old acquaintance that made me laugh or smile.

A million things happening all around you that you are/yet are not a part of. I think that is what frightens most players, that thought of someone out there having fun that they are never part of. Something in the game (a game they may even enjoy to play) that was not created with them in mind.

Maybe stinks too much of RL for their taste, but it added a bit of a fun break (often enough) for me.

EDIT: Often enough for me to play for 3 years or so...hint hint...nudge nudge

Edited by DenitharPurloin

You are looking for a Sandbox/Themepark hybrid? Take a look at something like ArcheAge.

I don't think that BW will add Sandbox-Elements to TOR, because of EA. If the game has made his money, throw it away and make a new one ...

I am looking for Star Wars to be honest. The reason I was looking forward to this game was the subject matter. However, I do not believe they created a game that attracted a broad enough base of players (sandbox elements) yet at the same time short-changed the players they DID try to cater to (Raiders and PvPers)

Clearly they fell short on the demographic they tried to cater to, sandbox elements keep Star Wars fans here, so there is a world to greet new players and the game does not die.

At least a partial Sandbox would help. Lets say in freely placing Furniture and equipment in player homes / Starships. People spent DAYS in Eq2 and SWG to design their personal homes. Maybe even a bit larger instances like a player city instance in AoC.

Creativity!

SWG had a BRILLIANT Community lead who was rentable for player events or even do stuff like Redecorate the Theed palace for a wedding, appear on the Imperial Wedding as Darth Vader and give a speech to crush the rebels, Stuff people fondly remember.

Roleplay Events is stuff thast does not cost much, other than a robust server that can hold a few more players in 1 place... keeps a lot of players occupied, and even better crestes bonds of friendship in a community or server that keeps people playing even if content updates are infrequent.

Nerfherding people in a few repetitive tasks after the cool storyline is done. is rarely fostering fun.

Edited by Kheldras

I've never played Eve either but i know its one of the biggest sandboxes around. In terms of MMOs.

Research > Think > Post

Know more than what you've experienced.

Then you are talking out of your arse. I am TELLING you what kept ME playing a game for 3 years. You are spouting-off about some shizz that you heard.

Open mouth > Insert foot

At least a partial Sandbox would help. Lets say in freely placing Furniture and equipment in player homes / Starships. People spent DAYS in Eq2 and SWG to design their personal homes. Maybe even a bit larger instances like a player city instance in AoC.

Creativity!

SWG had a BRILLIANT Community lead who was rentable for player events or even do stuff like Redecorate the Theed palace for a wedding, appear on the Imperial Wedding as Darth Vader and give a speech to crush the rebels, Stuff people fondly remember.

Roleplay Events is stuff thast does not cost much, other than a robust server that can hold a few more players in 1 place... keeps a lot of players occupied, and even better crestes bonds of friendship in a community or server that keeps people playing even if content updates are infrequent.

Nerfherding people in a few repetitive tasks after the cool storyline is done. is rarely fostering fun.

Indeed. I actually spent zero time playing that side of the game, and countless hours looking at the great things others created. The sand-boxers (and if people still don't get it), of which I am not one, ENHANCED my game experience.

Until they have seen it, maybe they just won't understand.

Then you are talking out of your arse. I am TELLING you what kept ME playing a game for 3 years. You are spouting-off about some shizz that you heard.

Open mouth > Insert foot

Quite the arrogant here. You are spreading your own limited experience as the ultimate truth. Ever considered that you are not the center of the Universe?

Why should any company that makes money care about one person? It is clear that to make money you need to address masses and not to tailor your game to only one persons liking.

It is totally fine to express your opinion based on your experience but it is a sign of foolishness to think that your truth is the same truth for everyone else. I for example have a different opinion.

The person you quoted just pointed out that there are better examples of sand box games and what do you do? Personal insults? Lame, very lame.

I played both EVE and SWG and in my personal opinion EVE is a better sandbox game. But hey, that's my personal opinion. I do not expect others to fall to knees before my judgment. Neither should you.

Express your opinions in a civil manner and your will not have any problems.

OP is right 100%

I'm sick of liars who say sandbox is a failure. MMO concept is made for sandbox elements, WoW themepark concept is simply braindead cr*p for the masses. Companies milking the mass market and fanboys who even defend this, thinking they are smart. Unbelievable.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

OP is right 100%

I'm sick of liars who say sandbox is a failure. MMO concept is made for sandbox elements, WoW themepark concept is simply braindead cr*p for the masses. Companies milking the mass market and fanboys who even defend this, thinking they are smart. Unbelievable.

And yet here you are.....

Oh and as an 8 year SWG vet, all i have to say is..it's dead, get over it.

Edited by TKMaster

You are looking for a Sandbox/Themepark hybrid? Take a look at something like ArcheAge.

I don't think that BW will add Sandbox-Elements to TOR, because of EA. If the game has made his money, throw it away and make a new one ...

Problem is that ArcheAge will bomb.

SWG was a massive failure and LA probably told BW to stay away from what SWG was. It's just normal. They didn't want another commercial failure.

SWTOR has a very solid base. It would be nice to add some sandbox elements in there, but what? Gathering and crafting is already implemented and it works. No need to change that. Changing it would create too many bugs and it's probably very risky to do so.

What they need to do is expand on space.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.