Rez in 7m 34s

Zerikx

What is the point in a system that delays your rez time if you can simply log off, log on and reset the timer?

A culmination of problems with the game just resulted in me flipping out over this. Why frustrate your players with an extremely old mechanic if you can bypass it anyway by simply logging out to reset your number of deaths and thus the amount of time you will wait after your next death.

So my question is "Why?", "Whats the point?", am i missing something?

What is the point in a system that delays your rez time if you can simply log off, log on and reset the timer?

A culmination of problems with the game just resulted in me flipping out over this. Why frustrate your players with an extremely old mechanic if you can bypass it anyway by simply logging out to reset your number of deaths and thus the amount of time you will wait after your next death.

The point is to discourage the player from death run to the objective, I'm sure the logging in/out is just an oversight.

Why frustrate your players with an extremely old mechanic if you can bypass it anyway by simply logging out to reset your number of deaths and thus the amount of time you will wait after your next death.

I agree. Logging out should not reset your timer.

You're not supposed to be able to use that medical probe or whatever all the time. It's an emergency/convenience for once in a while. Rez at a med center and run back, and you can die as often as you like.

Most games don't even give you the option to rez where you died. They make you run back from a graveyard/bind point. And the reason is obvious. They want to make dying mean something. If you could auto rez each time you died, you could run into a group of 3 golds in a heroic 4, kill one, die. Rez, kill another, die. Rez, kill the last, die. Etc.

Heck, you could actually argue that SWTOR doesn't make you pay a big enough penalty for dying.

I did not know this. Thanks for the info :D

Most games don't even give you the option to rez where you died. They make you run back from a graveyard/bind point. And the reason is obvious. They want to make dying mean something. If you could auto rez each time you died, you could run into a group of 3 golds in a heroic 4, kill one, die. Rez, kill another, die. Rez, kill the last, die. Etc.

Heck, you could actually argue that SWTOR doesn't make you pay a big enough penalty for dying.

Death hasn't meant anything in MMOs for 9-10 years now, so that can't be the reason.

Maybe the best question is why do you die so much that you need to do this?

Edited by DarthAnaethil

Death hasn't meant anything in MMOs for 9-10 years now, so that can't be the reason.

Sure it is. It's also the reason you take a durability hit on your armor. It makes it to where people try to avoid dying. If you just died twice in a row and know the timer will be long if you die again soon, are you not a little more cautious? If there was no penalty for death (ie you could auto rez and have no durability loss), would you really care how often you died?

Everquest would actually take several hours worth of EXP gain away from you for dying and would make you run naked back to collect your gear. It was ridiculous. Games like WOW made the burden less annoying by simply giving you a durability loss and also making you run back to your body in ghost form. SWTOR then lightened the burden a little less by giving you the option to rez on the spot (which I think LOTRO did as well). Honestly, SWTOR makes you pay for death a lot less than most MMOs. So, you really don't have a lot to complain about.

Because I don't want to enter the security key and wait at loading screens all the time.

I used to hate the run back in WoW, the time to Rez where you die can be a pain, but acceptable. I wouldn't like the repair bill one poster mentioned regarding the tactic of killing an elite diying and rezzing again to take a bunch out, especially on later levels, I died 3 times on Taris doing an Imperial mission because of multiple hards and elites in enclosed spaces, it's hard to tell what's in some enclosed spaces until you enter the room, the repair bill was 7500 odd credits, the highest I've paid to date. I hate to think what the repair bill is for level 50 gear on diying.

I think SWTOR has the death/rez part set right, the repair bill could be reduced a little however, along with swapping out mods on gear.

If you log off dead in an instance (ops/flashpoint), does it kick you out of the instance? If so, my guess is that the rez timer minimizes people from going in an instance and using the run/die/medical droid rez technique to get somewhere far in the instance without the work. I really have no clue, this is just a guess.

Good catch. Hopefully they fix it so that logging out won't reset the timer.

What's with the anger though? You mad they left a loophole to help you out or you think the death timer should go away altogether?

Missing the source of your angst.

They don't want you corpse hoping through their content. If you are really dying due to other reasons then you should perhaps reevaluate your playstyle or chosen class because no one dies THAT much unless you are purposely doing something stupid.

What's with the anger though? You mad they left a loophole to help you out or you think the death timer should go away altogether?
The problem with loopholes is that people in groups expect you to use them. If the timer is 7m, they will tell you to logout and back in to beat the timer. This can be a problem for people that don't like using exploits.

Of course, my machine is slow enough that it will probably take longer than that to get back into the game, so it isn't a moral issue that I need to deal with.

The problem with loopholes is that people in groups expect you to use them. If the timer is 7m, they will tell you to logout and back in to beat the timer. This can be a problem for people that don't like using exploits.

Of course, my machine is slow enough that it will probably take longer than that to get back into the game, so it isn't a moral issue that I need to deal with.

Well i think it is ok it might just be you who does not like it might it.

People in groups should be able to rez you once they use the "exploit" or work around but caving to peer pressure is never an excuse... :p

Especially since using exploits gets you the bad ending in MMOs, namely, the B& hammer.

So your problem is with the players who prefer using the loophole rather than Bioware's slight oversight, it seems. I would just say take it out on them, not Bioware. You can just submit a ticket in the game to report this that way you don't have to deal with it in the future. I. agree with the other poster that your angst seems to be a little miseguided.

I mean, you spend the whole time asking "what's the point" when you're really trying to say "hey, I notice this problem, can y'all address it so people who prefer using loopholes won't expect me to use them too?"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.