Your thoughts on SWTOR as a whole

Livedtomato

So what do you guys think of this game as a whole, I've read around the forums a bit and have played the game since the very beginning and imo I sort of feel as though a game that could have been amazing was rushed and it's not to say that they didn't do anything right I like that they kept some key aspects of an MMO and implemented that Bioware feel to it, but at the same time I've also noticed how certain areas were lacking or generally seemed to be rushed.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too easy, and boring, and not enough people to play with.

Combat is sluggish, classes are meh design, leveling is so incredibly boring.

I can't imagine anyone, myself included, would even be playing this game if it wasn't called star wars.

So what do you guys think of this game as a whole, I've read around the forums a bit and have played the game since the very beginning and imo I sort of feel as though a game that could have been amazing was rushed and it's not to say that they didn't do anything right I like that they kept some key aspects of an MMO and implemented that Bioware feel to it, but at the same time I've also noticed how certain areas were lacking or generally seemed to be rushed.

I wouldn't say it was rushed, I just think they made a lot of bad decisions, so wasted a lot of time and are now having to rework things, and have a ton of things left to rework before we get near a great game. I really like the game but there are also many things I dislike about it.

Bioware are in a somewhat fortunate position right now in that there really is not much in the way of competition for subs, that might change when GW2 comes out, I wont be leaving for that though. I am prepared to stick it out here and see if Bioware can pull through and in many ways rebuild this game. There are so many bugs its insane and many basic systems are missing, and then there is the performance issue, which is obviously from their end cos on the PTS the warzones now run much better, which shows they have optimized them, although the fleet and planets are still bad.

Basically if they fix the mountain of problems I could love the game.

Edited by System_TOR

This game, like many others, has its share of problems. I was lucky enough to have avoided most of these, and I've enjoyed my experience greatly (Don't have a Lv.50 yet, but I'm in a great guild with an even better community).

I wasn't expecting a perfect game at launch, and so far, I'm extremely impressed. Note that I don't have too much time to play (I've got ~3 days /played on my Jugg so far, playing since early access), and I'm enjoying every moment of it. I'll give Bioware some time to adjust, and fix all of it's problems. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. I've done some coding before, and trying to find the smallest of mistakes (extra space, or missing semicolon) in lines of code took hours. I can't fathom how difficult it must be for game programmers to find bugs, let alone fix them.

Though TOR has growing pains, I feel that it has so much potential to be an extraordinary game, and I'm looking forward to where it's going. If Bioware can fix the issues that it has in this game, then it'll be a force to be reckoned with. I'm staying for the long run, hopefully others will too. If not, I'll see all the whiners either on the GW2 forums (if it ever gets one) or the TERA forums, or the WoW forums, complaining about how that game sucks, and how it'll die in 1/2/3/6/12 months.

Edited by Oofpez

I wish that crafting was more fun (my Assassin is 400/400 on Artifice and Archaeology, working on getting him 400 diplomacy and also wondering as to why in the name of Nyarlethotep I didn't get treasure hunting for my mission skill), and I wish there was more orange gear and that raids were harder, and I wish we had a better LFG tool, and a guild-finder tool, but past that I'd say the game's pretty great.

The leveling experience, at least, is solid (though it can get dull if you've done the content too often), and flashpoints are fun and PvP is enjoyable as well. Hell, even space missions are an enjoyable break.

I'd give it a 7/10 if only because the game still needs a lot of development to be truly fantastic, right now it's just 'fun' -- and my fun might run out when I hit 50 and actually do something on my character at said level (my 50 Operative was abandoned literally as soon as I finished the class story because the server is dead.).

I don't see how the combat in the game is sluggish; they fixed ability delay and past that it works pretty fine, though it's similar to WoW's combat and that might put a lot of people off.

Edited by Flyceratops

It's a good start; BioWare is still trying to figure out who it's audience is...they are really trying to Woo the progression Raiders and uber guilds; I personally think that isn't going to be their main demographic in the coming years and I'm not sure how EA will take all that money being spent to attract them. The Quality of the next two expansions will be an indicator if the publisher still believes in them or will put them on the shelf.

Too easy, and boring, and not enough people to play with.

I can't imagine anyone, myself included, would even be playing this game if it wasn't called star wars.

Plus lode times, worthless crafting, only pet classes that are buggy,...

It's a massive single player online game, open world PVP is non-existent thanks to separate republic/empire questing area, and brokeness of illum.

If you are on a heavy server you just might see other players..., not that you'll get into a group with, you might see them racing tumbleweeds. that is all, they might as well be NPCs.

I think its a great game.

1st off its lightsabers, blasters and force chokes...no brainer...thats way cool

Its pretty well rounded. Plenty of daily and weekly quests, different raids for lvl 50's, PvP isnt held to one little area even if your on a PVE server (meaning 3 diff WZ's and illum).

Gear upgrades can be a challange but not so hard to get that you have no chance to get them. Which is the way it should be.

Graphics could be abit sharper but then if they did that it could cause more problems with people whom cannot afford better PC's.

All in all I like it alot. I canceled my turbine account after it came out. Lotro just became the same thing over and over. I hope that never happens here.

It's a fun game as far as mmorpg go but their emphasis and resource spend on story mechanic left out basics like a functional auction house and other simple mmorpg basics.

The loot system is great (outside of the "pure RNG system). I particularly like the bosses spawned all over the maps that actually drop loot.

It's farming friendly, solo friendly but they missed out on building a system that allows players to see and interact with each other. The conversation system is not a solution; a gimmick that only benefits in social points... that does nothing really. Buildinig an artificial system was a wasted resource when the ability to naturally allow it was always there.

Crafting system is really nice and useful to some extent.

Combat is generally good with some funky mis-timings on animations and mobs can use some fine tuning.

Otherwise, I consider it a good game but just an average/below average MMORPG.

I currently have a level 50 Bounty Hunter.

The leveling was freaking AMAZING. Loved every second of it. While some sidequests were boring and repetitive, I still enjoyed it a lot more. I quit WoW at level 10 because of boring leveling. I loved TOR from the beginning.

I took my time leveling, taking a few breaks here and there when I didn't feel like playing, and finally got my first character to 50 about a week ago. Endgame is nothing special, it's just about getting enough commendations to get PvP gear, but I don't mind.

When I have a lot of free time I just do the daily, and then play some other game such as Skyrim, Mass Effect, Shogun 2, BF3, etc.. I don't need TOR 24/7. I just do the daily for 30 minutes then do something else.

Loving it. I'm starting my first alt when 1.2 comes out and by then I hope to be fully geared with my Powertech. Love this game and I plan to stay subbed way into the future.

I think it's great. It's a lot of fun to play and I've still got a ton left to do.

Yes, certain areas are lacking, and, to me, the most glaring area is social interaction between players, which spans from guild features to simple reasons to get together. The cantinas in the game are nice, but they have no purpose other than somewhere to log out. You can't sit down anywhere, the entertainment is very lacklustre, and there's nothing to do there. Adding mini-games to the cantinas would generate a lot more activity.

I think that the Fleets could use a new ship for these reasons. The current Fleet cantina is just not enough. I'd like to see them add a bigger one with all amenities included there. I see that players tend to congregate around the PvP Quest Terminal and the daily mission terminals, so these should be added to the cantina. GTN kiosks, cargo hold access points, and a handful of exclusive or popular vendors could be added there as well. This would bring people to a more interesting spot rather than just staring at a wall.

To expand on social interaction, I'd like to see a big increase in guild support and cross-faction communication. I like a lot of the ideas that they lined up during the guild summit like guild calendars, guild logos, putting said logos on gear, and so on, but it'd be nice to see them officially added. I know that I can't wait to get guild calendars implemented. As for cross-faction communication, I'd like to have sister guild/adversary (as well as ally) support to allow cross faction guilds to communicate. As the leader of two guilds on opposite factions, I'd like for them to be able to communicate simply to be able to keep in touch. It is a little troubling to some members when I disappear for almost two weeks because I've been playing my Operative.

I'd also like to see BioWare take a more strict approach to RP servers. I feel that they are far too lenient in regards to names & activity that the servers have just become nearly identical to PvE/PvP servers. As an RPer, it's very upsetting and disappointing to say the least.

I also want them to add the ability to have more than one surname at certain legacy levels. One is just not enough. The whole family vibe is cool, but it doesn't apply to me or my characters in the slightest. My Mirialan Sentinel is not related to my Cyborg Powertech, who is not related to my Sith Juggernaut, who is not related to my Human Vanguard. This one surname policy is one of the top three complaints I have about the game.

On the whole, BioWare is pushing out content at a great pace, making good patches, and has laid out plans to keep the game going for a long time. I'm excited to play and still have that itch to get on every day, even when I can't.

love the game..but im gnna be forced to leave the game..coz of all the nurfs because of all the L2P issues with these drunk pot heads..that cant be botherd with it out there people...

love my marauder was hard to master.. if the 1.2 change feels wrong i dont knw what il do..i hate alting ;/

love the game..but im gnna be forced to leave the game..coz of all the nurfs because of all the L2P issues with these drunk pot heads..that cant be botherd with it out there people...

love my marauder was hard to master.. if the 1.2 change feels wrong i dont knw what il do..i hate alting ;/

I am absolutly sick of a lot of things in this game, and I might be one of the bigget critics of this game, but one thing I will never ever critize a game for is nerfs, they are requried, no game designer ever gets things right the first time, and that includes class balance.

Never ever get mad at a game over something as small as a nerf or a buff, those things are expected to happen. I would be even more upset if the design team didnt care about balance and never nerfed anything.

Also, your marauder was not hard to master, or you wouldn't have done it in a few short months.

Edited by Maigrey

I like it but there's just not enough here atm. I can't help but think how it would be if they had taken the money they spent on VO's and used it to place thier themepark into a sandbox.

For an altaholic like myself this game can get very repetitive very fast ..there's just not enough to do :(

I am absolutly sick of a lot of things in this game, and I might be one of the bigget critics of this game, but one thing I will never ever critize a game for is nerfs, they are requried, no game designer ever gets things right the first time, and that includes class balance.

Never ever get mad at a game over something as small as a nerf or a buff, those things are expected to happen. I would be even more upset if the design team didnt care about balance and never nerfed anything.

Also, your marauder was not hard to master, or you wouldn't have done it in a few short months.

ok master maby not..still picking up tips and what not..but it upsets me i never call for nurfs..IMO nothing was over powerd you just gotta pick your fights..avoid fights back off..and re attack..change your tactics around..i dunno man we will see...