So...is sniper really that bad?

Hasmodye

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those posting how they do top dmg on WZs. Here is the thing dmg means dick **** in

WZs period. i get top dmg all the time but i know for a fact snipers need work compared to other classes that faceroll to get equal dmg or little less dmg done compared to me not to mention they can heal bubble and many other ******** CD the other advance classes have. "Well you gotta dps from a distance and deny crucial points because we have a 35m range and its our job" well ******** tot hat too, sorcs have 35 m range abilities and have heals bubblesand range stun benefits teams way more than snipers can.

1.2 is here soon. Many problems adressed, if we would get more we'd soon here a collective cry for a nerf. If you still can't make it work in 1.2. Re-roll a new class, sniper is not for you. Any more fixes is just going to make the good snipers look too good and we all know where that will take us.

If that's true, then you need to up your accuracy and crit rating. Accuracy to be sure you hit, and crit rating to by-pass any shield (by honestly, it's very rare to run into someone actually using a shield generator these days).

In order to push all shield chance off the table, you need 100% crit.

*starts adding up the crit rating available on War Hero gear*

In order to push all shield chance off the table, you need 100% crit.

*starts adding up the crit rating available on War Hero gear*

There are abilities that affect critical chance, but I meant to reduce the shield chance, not completely negate it.

I honestly can't wait for some of you guys to reroll sorcerer and play that for a while. You think you have complaints as a sniper! haha. Just freakin' wait.

Edited by Enexemander

There are abilities that affect critical chance, but I meant to reduce the shield chance, not completely negate it.

I honestly can't wait for some of you guys to reroll sorcerer and play that for a while. You think you have complaints as a sniper! haha. Just freakin' wait.

You just troll.. Really that simple. /yawns

run along kiddo

I have a consular, it's easy mode thanks.

I'm a troll because I think the sniper is a good class?

Sorry, that does not fit the definition of a troll. Just because someone disagrees with your opinion, it does not imply nefarious intent.

Continue to be unhappy with your sniper, and I'll continue to be happy with mine.

Ciao.

Snipers are one of the hardest classes to master....does it make them weak... not at all

I've played a Sorc and Jug since beta and hands down the sniper is the best class i've played so far

can they be improved..maybe but i like the charm of having to think on my toes.

don't go into it thinking you can just stay in cover all the time.

I have a love and hate relationship with my agent atm. I love the story line, however, I find that at lvl 38 I am still experimenting with combat as a solo player. One mistake can really be fatal, as opposed to other classes I have played where you can screw up and still be ok. I just respecced back to marksman tonight and managed not to die that often lol if at all, which is nice.

If you really like the idea of one shot one kill, then this isn't that kind of sniper. However, it is a blast to play and the class keeps you on your toes. I play mine when I want a challenge.

With patch 1.2 some major bugs on the story line should be fixed, so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

I will continue to play this class until level 50 somehow.

You all fail to realize our burst is dropping off significantlly in 1.2, not that it was over the top amazing anyway i know other classes who can burst better. Explosive probe mechanic is being changed so you wont be able to do your Ambush/Snipe + EP in that fashion anymore. You will see what I mean when it hits you, I hope the QQ is immense because there is absolutely no reason to be changing something the class is entirely dependant upon for 1v1s, pvp in general.

I'm currently pvp'ing with around 100 expertise in mostly columi gear. Do I feel squishy? A bit. That being said, as I don't have to worry about dots as sharpshooter breaking my roots, it is fairly easy to kite 2-3 melee while los'ing any ranged dps trying to attack me, assuming the rest of my team is being useful.

When they stop chasing me, it's not difficult to burst bm geared squishies (marauders/sorcs/dps assassins/other snipers/mercs/ops/dps powertechs, etc.) for 1/3-1/2 their life in 1-2 gcd's, depending on what crits. Attacking tanks with cd's up sucks, yes, but that's true even on my shadow. I can't speak towards sab or dirty fighting, as I haven't tried those at 50, but if you think sharpshooter damage is bad, or lacks burst, you're doing it completely wrong.

That being said, if they have a couple ops on their team who know what they're doing, I can pretty much count on being dead most of the match, but that's mainly due to the joys of pvping with <100 expertise.

You all fail to realize our burst is dropping off significantlly in 1.2, not that it was over the top amazing anyway i know other classes who can burst better. Explosive probe mechanic is being changed so you wont be able to do your Ambush/Snipe + EP in that fashion anymore. You will see what I mean when it hits you, I hope the QQ is immense because there is absolutely no reason to be changing something the class is entirely dependant upon for 1v1s, pvp in general.

It's called what gunslingers have had to deal with since forever.

It's called what gunslingers have had to deal with since forever.

Yeah, but Gunslingers could at least channel snipe while staying in cover; only popping up to fire. I wonder if that has changed on either mirror to match.

I also wonder if that extra GCD stil happens after EP. Maybe I need to log into TC but at this point, guess I will just wait.

That's not entirely accurate. The best defense is not being hit at all. Force speed + LOS does a much better job of that than 'cover'

O.o how do you do damage when you're LoS'ing people, or heal, or anything else. When you're running, you're not helping your team.

DoT's are about the only thing you would be able to use, and are good in their own right, but that's limited. A sniper can be dishing damage, CC'ing, dropping an AoE, or maybe good old trash talking while in cover, or while using their defensive cool downs.

As pertaining to the thread topic, snipers are fine.

O.o how do you do damage when you're LoS'ing people, or heal, or anything else. When you're running, you're not helping your team.

DoT's are about the only thing you would be able to use, and are good in their own right, but that's limited. A sniper can be dishing damage, CC'ing, dropping an AoE, or maybe good old trash talking while in cover, or while using their defensive cool downs.

As pertaining to the thread topic, snipers are fine.

When you're dead you don't help the team either. Mobility is absolute king when it comes to defense. Being able to hit and run is far superior than 'sit there and take it'.

No, snipers are definitely not the ranged dps class with the most defense. Don't let 'cover' fool you into thinking so.

When you're dead you don't help the team either. Mobility is absolute king when it comes to defense. Being able to hit and run is far superior than 'sit there and take it'.

No, snipers are definitely not the ranged dps class with the most defense. Don't let 'cover' fool you into thinking so.

So... I can either sit and take it and dish out damage and CC until dead or... I can pop force speed and run away and not dish out damage or CC... which is the same effect as being dead. I wouldn't say that snipers have the most defense, but we've definitely got more than we're given credit for, and almost all of our defensive skills are on a short CD, and are designed so that we can continue to dish out damage while playing defensively.

Two things on a side note:

1. LoS'ing the enemy is usually also LoS'ing your healer, consider we're talking team play. If you are the healer, you're not only not getting heals yourself while you're LoS'ing, you're not healing yout team either. LoS isn't that great of a defense.

2. Teams with people who constantly use LoS as their main form of defense, usually lose.

Edited by Doomsdaycomes

LOS is for when you are the last one left of your team in the area, and you can run around just taking random pot shots possibly to keep the other team from capping until help arrives.

Agreed, LoS has it's place as well, and is a decent tool on occasion. It is not a reliable defense like a stat, buff, or cool down is.

Edit:

Rather than post another post, I'd also add on my sniper, one of my tactics is actually move up (not run and let myself get shot) and -get- close to other ranged if I know the player is an LoS'er. ^_^ Have fun getting out of my 35m range and quick dps burst in time!

Edited by Doomsdaycomes

Two things on a side note:

1. LoS'ing the enemy is usually also LoS'ing your healer, consider we're talking team play. If you are the healer, you're not only not getting heals yourself while you're LoS'ing, you're not healing yout team either. LoS isn't that great of a defense.

2. Teams with people who constantly use LoS as their main form of defense, usually lose.

You can't be serious...Do you not play the Arena in WoW? LoS'ing pillars and other things is CRITICAL strategy.

If you DON'T know how to properly LoS, you lose - not win like you imply.

Your comments are so offbase they border on comical. LoS is saving you damage, saving your healer healing, and ruining the other team's opportunity. A healer staying out in the open to be hit from any enemy is laughable strategy.

If I were you, I would edit your post ASAP because it is pretty embarassing.

Uh no. [sniper] 100 percent counters sent/marauders...

Gonna have to stop you right there, broski. My main is a Carnage Marauder and I've never had trouble beating a Sniper or Gunslinger in a one-on-one fight. Never. :p Truly one of the easiest classes for me to steam roll over. Operatives and Scoundrels can be somewhat bothersome though.

Edited by JinTetra

Gonna have to stop you right there, broski. My main is a Carnage Marauder and I've never had trouble beating a Sniper or Gunslinger in a one-on-one fight. Never. :p Truly one of the easiest classes for me to steam roll over. Operatives and Scoundrels can be somewhat bothersome though.

Well, if you know to use your root to prevent a sniper from getting into cover, you're going to have an easy time of it :) . That's going away in 1.2 though, I think I read. Snipers will be able to go into cover while merely rooted.

As a fresh 50, I just led two war hero marauders on a merry chase around huttball. One of them eventually emoted /lol at me and ran off to do more productive things.

Of all the classes, snipers are the absolute best at keeping away from marauders/sentinels because they can negate charge.

Well, if you know to use your root to prevent a sniper from getting into cover, you're going to have an easy time of it :) . That's going away in 1.2 though, I think I read. Snipers will be able to go into cover while merely rooted...

...Of all the classes, snipers are the absolute best at keeping away from marauders/sentinels because they can negate charge.

The only root I'm aware of is our Crippling Slash. I don't find I need to use it against Snipers since they rarely leave cover when fighting me (not that I don't use it on 'em anyway). Force Choke comes in handy just as they think they're gonna finish casting that Ambush shot too. :rolleyes:

I'll agree with you about negating charge. That's annoying, but unless they knock me off a ledge and I can't easily close the distance, I can just pop Camo if I really don't want to eat the damage while running back to them.

I dunno, maybe I've only fought scrub Snipers. I've fought a lot of Snipers though. :cool:

Edited by JinTetra

Force Choke comes in handy just as they think they're gonna finish casting that Ambush shot too. :rolleyes:

I'll agree with you about negating charge. That's annoying, but unless they knock me off a ledge and I can't easily close the distance, I can just pop Camo if I really don't want to eat the damage while running back to them.

I dunno, maybe I've only fought scrub Snipers. I've fought a lot of Snipers though. :cool:

I save my CC-shield for when I'm facing down a melee. 20 seconds of not being able to Force Choke me, then. Also, they use force camo, i instantly drop my AoE and uncover them.

A good sniper knows how to negate quite a few skills melee classes have. He doesn't *always* have them off cooldown in PvP, obviously, but if you meet a good one with all his skills up, you're going to have a heck of a time as a melee DPS.

I also have a 50 Sentinel myself, so i know all the tricks ;)