SWTOR Vs WoW: Blizzard gets it

indelible

SWTOR vs WOW..... people really need to get over themselves.

If you like the game play it, if like wow play it.

I'm love SWTOR i'm having so much fun playing it, love the story. I played wow for 7yrs and SWTOR is very refreshing to play.

Edited by RicoFrost

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back and trying to form a group by talking in various party chats to get the group together in Star Wars feels very retro and very painful these days.

So the WOW devs are playing SWTOR. Not a far reach to think they post some of the threads in this forum, too...

The comparisons matter not to me. I like this game.

FWIW, never played WOW. Not interested in WOW. Not into vaguely medievel-style fantasy themes, so much. To each his or her own.

Going back and trying to form a group by talking in various party chats to get the group together in Star Wars feels very retro and very painful these days.

I find it kind fun, the LFG thing in wow is just to easy and impersonal you dont end up doing runs with guild mates because LFG is easier and faster. In the last year or so of playing wow i found i was talking less and less to people even tho i was in a massive guild.

Yes, people are comparing SWTOR to WoW as it is now; however, your analogy's comparison is incorrect. Comparing SWTOR to WoW in it's current state is more akin to racing a brand new stock, off the lot car against a car that's been around for 7 years and has all the tweaks/upgrades needed to get the highest performance possible. Obviously, the car with all the tweaks and upgrades is going to (all other things being equal) stomp the crap out of the brand new, off the lot car with only stock options, in the short term, but, in the long run, the new car stands a very good chance of competing with the older, upgraded/tweaked car once it is also upgraded and tweaked.

And yes, you should be sorry, for posting that ill-conceived bit in the spoiler.

So you think that SWTOR can only be compared to WoW AFTER it's had 6-7 years of Tuning ?

Well, it breaks my heart to kill a fanboys bubble, but chances are, SWTOR wont even be alive in 1-2 years time,

200 mill (if indeed it was 200 mill, I highly doubt that, probably pure hype) blown/wasted on VO and a Hype Machine can only take you so far, it will get you a profit, and thats all EA care about, but it wont get you 6-7 years,

The core of the game has no polish, no passion, hell it aint even finished, they rushed it out for christmas, like a cheap ghost written cooking book, slapped on the shelf at WH smiths,

Actions speak louder than words, and the mere fact that they did that, is all you need to know, to understand the true nature of Bioware and EA.

But hey, just like the cheap ghost written book, it passes the time, untill something better comes along,

Sorry

:)

Well, it breaks my heart to kill a fanboys bubble, but chances are, SWTOR wont even be alive in 1-2 years time,

You doomsayers underestimate the power of the Star Wars tag.

That alone will keep this game going for years and years, also all those MMOs that you think is dead, isent.

Just because you dont play them, dosent mean they arent doing okay, i know its a hard concept to understand.

wow is already hemorrhaging subs and they don't plan another content release until mists, it will be interesting to see what sub numbers look like 6-8 months from now and if people actually go back.

They dont care if you/me/him/her come back,

Blizzard just switched focus,

Pandas, should give you a very BIG clue as to the direction of that new focus,

hmmmmmmmmmm

:rolleyes:

WoW set the bar for MMO excellence, the numbers don't lie, millions of fans didn't come from no where. If you think that you the WoW hater are so much smarter than the hordes of WoW fans than you are just arrogant.

In some ways SWTOR has met that standard and in other ways has raised that bar as well.

Regarding the aspects where SWTOR comes up short, like the interface for instance, there is plenty of aspects of the game to enjoy while the designers compensate and or correct for that.

So whats really the point of all this arguing over WoW vs. SWTOR.

Im playing SWTOR because I think it's a really great game, that has depth, and after 6 years looking at a WoW screen was giving me no joy at all.

Everyone agreeing with the simple opinions I have expressed here is not neccesary.

They dont care if you/me/him/her come back,

Blizzard just switched focus,

Pandas, should give you a very BIG clue as to the direction of that new focus,

hmmmmmmmmmm

Interesting observation, so you think Blizzard is switching to a younger demographic with WoW? That would explain the timing of the release of Diablo 3, which would no doubt be geared to their adult market.

WoW set the bar for MMO excellence, the numbers don't lie, millions of fans didn't come from no where. If you think that you the WoW hater are so much smarter than the hordes of WoW fans than you are just arrogant.

In some ways SWTOR has met that standard and in other ways has raised that bar as well.

Regarding the aspects where SWTOR comes up short, like the interface for instance, there is plenty of aspects of the game to enjoy while the designers compensate and or correct for that.

So whats really the point of all this arguing over WoW vs. SWTOR.

Im playing SWTOR because I think it's a really great game, that has depth, and after 6 years looking at a WoW screen was giving me no joy at all.

Everyone agreeing with the simple opinions I have expressed here is not neccesary.

Truth is it is best if both MMOs are side by side competing with each other. This way the quality of both games increase as one seeks to outdo the other. If we live in an alternate universe where SW:TOR really killed WoW, that would be bad because then SW:TOR would be the new WoW and become complacent and churn out average content until the next challenger arrives.

People are arguing over WoW vs. SWTOR because they are passionate about the games, and they argue like as if they are your favourite basketball/football teams.

Edited by ConradLionhart

Would you like solid evidence to support the statement you just made?

I care not in the slightest if the games dead in 1-2 years,

I am here for the short term, quick easy fix,

If you dont like that, tough,

Long term is the domain of the Fanboy,

The MMO market has changed, you simply cannot ride the company bandwagon for 6-7 years anymore, those days are gone, never to return,

Because the bandwagon that you jumped on, the Game that you once loved will become so twisted and perverted that it will be a mere shadow of it's former self,

2012 is the dawn of a new age in MMO's,

It's the age of the quick fix jumpers,

FOTM applied to not only chars, but GAMES,

Sub,

Unsub,

Sub,

Ooh New Game,

Sub,

Bored,

Unsub,

Break,

Sub,

Ooh New Game,

Sub,

And if a Company wants to live in this new age, then the product that they place on the shelf better be damn good from the word GO,

Because you aint gonna get a "free" 6-7 years, or even a free 1-2 years to Tune your model, those days are gone.

Interesting observation, so you think Blizzard is switching to a younger demographic with WoW? That would explain the timing of the release of Diablo 3, which would no doubt be geared to their adult market.

No not younger....It's Blatantly marketed for a Far East Audience, Japan and China, which BTW is where the majority of there 10 mill sub base is....And always has been...!!

What are you trying to insinuate?

The Truth

Omg lol,

It's like that film, "A Few Good Men"

Col. Nathan R. Jessep -"You want the Truth ?"

Col. Nathan R. Jessep - "You can't handle the Truth"

lol

Edited by Tsaritsin

Swtor is better than WoW

Daoc is better than WoW

Eve Online is better than WoW

WoW sucks, expand your horizons people, plenty of MMO's are better than WoW, WoW has a good PR department Ill give it that......but the cartoon that is WoW is for 10 year olds and under,not a game for adults

Then..grow up :cool:

There's actually several things about swtor that are A LOT better than what wow has become:

a) no cross-realm crud (that one really destroyed the communities)

b) classes that still get on each others nerves (aka "totally imbalanced skill for that other class!!!")

c) they still develop around building STORY instead of 'just itemgrind'

d) mostly people are friendlier to each other and more willing to help - see a)

e) The characters models are a hell of a lot better: facial animations, proportions (while blizzard has promised to rework 'the old races' since introducing bc)

Sure, there are things that should be there. I'm also sure they are working on it...

* improving game performance

* optimizing planetary travel (less loadingscreens - walk- loadingscreen - walk - aaand load again)

* improving the 'economy' (though they COULD look at eve-online in that department... depending on how epic they want it)

* improving the UI

* adding more stuff/fluff/style/content

does any of that lore explain how they destroyed the whole franchise when they abandoned their RTS background? the whole its an RTS and we are making an MMO out of it, never made sense to me, it was almost like the guy in the ideas departmet had no ideas. so they just used something old rather than making anything new

They had an incredibly rich universe that players were clamoring to live in... so they made a world out of it.

Star Wars was a movie first, why try to turn it into a video game?

I've only read through six pages so forgive me if I'm repeating myself.

I was excited whilst waiting for this game to come out. Why? It's sci-fi and I'm a sci-fi nut. I'm also waiting for WH40K online as I've been playing tabletop/WFRP since the early 1980s. Was looking forward to Stargate online too, but it's been cancelled. :(

In order of doing things, I like to: Solo, craft, raid, group. I can do most of these now, and have recently started raiding. It's why I like playing 4X games.

For those of my age who have been around and had multiple MMOs under our caps and have had rather "interesting" laucnh experiences (DAOC, has a class that, with its debuffs, could reduce you to one hit point when it launched. AOL where you couldn't zone into the quest areas. Etc. etc.).

Now, for the 64 umpty-bajalion dollar question - why did I quit wow? I thought cataclysm was "ok", would have preferred it if they had left the world as was, and the instance levels as was. But with introduction of pandas as a playable race with a more oriental theme (probably to appease the far east IMO), and the talent system that is now pretty much exatly like Diablo 3 looks to be. There's nothing else there. I feel as if they are running out of ideas fast. Even though I signed up for an annual pass for a free copy of D3, I cancelled all four of my accounts as having to pay £92ish for something I'm not going to pay for a free £30 game is just daft, even for me - the CE is only £69, so even that's a saving heh.

In closing, I am throughly enjoying my time paying SWTOR, yes there are bugs, and the random crashes get on my nerves. But I am still having fun.

Thanks for reading.