Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

StephenReid

A young boy enters a barber shop and the barber whispers to his customer, "This is the dumbest kid in the world. Watch while I prove it to you."

The barber puts a dollar bill in one hand and two quarters in the other, then calls the boy over and asks, "Which do you want, son?" The boy takes the quarters and leaves.

"What did I tell you?" said the barber. "That kid never learns!"

Later, when the customer leaves, he sees the same young boy coming out of the ice cream store. "Hey son, may I ask you a question? Why did you take the quarters instead of the dollar bill?"

The boy licked his cone and replied, "Because the day I take the dollar, the game's over!"

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably stopped sending waves of invites because the people that didn't take off work to play the game most likely will not be able to log in until after they get home from work.

~5pm local time

I can't give any numbers for how many invites went out that aren't actually being used yet but it could potentially be a significant number.

Who knows.

I can't wait till I get in, until then I can come up with sneaky ways to knock my roommate out so I can play on his account.

I'm sorry..... but at 1 month or 100k members a day, there is NO possible way they will even get to even October by the 20th. That's *********** PATHETIC! And I want my money back, cause you are screwing us with the false statement of up to Five Days early. At this rate, there is physical way we will get EGA.

Thanks for nothing. and I WILL fight hard for a refund on your BS statement!

[sAD FACE]

Wrong, sir! Wrong! Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy:

Edited by Anthemius

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

USA favoritism much??

UK here, we had the last English speaking servers in the stress test, feeling a bit left out of the loop :mad:

Paid up front for early access, put code in early yet well behind many who are now in the game, who did it after me.

Whole family in same boat.

Badly handled Bioware, bad show!

Edited by Ladydawny

Can't post a pic, but I'm done. I actually feel good and free now.

Hope you guys enjoy your game, I'm done hoping bioware would do right by its customers, all of them not just a select few. No matter how many posts this thread has bioware doesn't care, they pretty much think you'll all pay regardless of how you're treated, to bad they're probably right as enough people won't cancel to make them go "Damn, that was a bad idea".

Im fine standing alone, I'm happier knowing I stood by what I believe is right and wouldn't just accept this kind of treatement. Hell I probably saved myself a ton of time and money, I would have played this game for at least two or three years, plus expansions.

----------------

Dear <>,

Your order has been successfully canceled. For your reference, here's a summary of your order:

You just canceled order #102-8794931-##### placed on September 1, 2011.

1 of Star Wars: The Old Republic

Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

THIS SAYS IT ALL!! COPY AND PASTE SO THEY GET THE MESSAGE!

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

Can't agree more.

This is a great plan gone completely wrong. Do NOT stop the waves. That would be a fail....I am okay with waiting but to stop waves everyday is putting a bigger gap in guilds, friends, and overall levels.

I feel for the people that get in on the last day of EGA (what ever day that is) cause there will be noobs getting ganked left and right on PvP servers...lol.

DO NOT STOP THE WAVES!!!!

Originally Posted by EpyonNaku

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE TOOK THE DAY OFF on the 15th??? now they have to change it... OH BUT NOW! They dont know what day to take off cause now youve screwed with them more than a few times!!!!

Yes, release was the 15 for early game... I agree its awesome you decided to move it up 2 days... but now instead of being nice your screwing with peoples lives, jobs, families, that they are trying to plan for when they can start playing, its near the holidays, people are trying to properly plan and all your doing is screwing with them... seriously. if you want any chance to be succesful or any chance to beat wow... stop thinking small minded, and playing games with ur customers... or you will die just like AION in a few years I PROMISE YOU!

Some people might say get a life if you wasted your day here but....

This generation of people have made Game Launch Days part of their lives. They schedule your jobs and family around it. When you don't give proper notice or lie like you did today, you do indeed ruin people's days/lives.

At this point, the best way to rectify this is to just open the doors and let everybody in.

That is the least you can do.

If you revolve your life around a game launch then you have no life. I can see if you are going on a vacation or you need surgery or hell even to do your laundry. These are real life events, they did say "UP TO 5 DAYS EARLY" so there was no promise you were going to start on the 15th anyways. So to take a vacation from work to possibly play on that day was a stupid choice. PEOPLE NEED TO READ, or at least learn what the words mean that you are reading.

I really hope you guys read what this guy wrote- hella people posting and agreeing with it.

signed

lol your all like children, you do know they have to get us all into the servers right? if they just threw you all in at once it would crash and no one would get to play. On the bright side your ************ allows me to read something amusing while I work, thanks guys :)

Lol I get what you're saying and I agree. But.. We have to get out our disappointment lol. You see, early access started 7am EST.. that was 4AM my time cuz im PST. I ALMOST stayed up all night waiting for it to start. Glad I didn't lolol. At the lest second I saw an email sent by TOR that explained how the process would work. So I was like screw it im goin to sleep lol. I made sure to update my client first though XD

Not all that bothered as early access was explained by BW in the first place. To not understand what they said and then whine is crazy. If they care that much why didn't people just read the information on hand more thoroughly. I will say I'm surprised they won't be doing waves though the night, but I imagine somebody somewhere didn't want it to continue unless under their specific supervision.

So what's all this crying people are doing about some trolls claiming they got in while they preorderd like a week ago...Can't you see that it's utter horse ****? They're just here to play a joke on you and trying to make a you cry. That sad part is that they are somewhat succeeding in it....For shame.

It's starting to seem like a cash grab to me

"pay the extra 5 bucks and youll get to play early based on when you redeem your preorder!"

5bucks x 1 million preorders =..

Then they invite people at random, disregarding any previous statements made.

GG bioware for making blizzard look good.