Gender Recognition

MDeSimone

There is a similar problem with some other character classes, but it seems to be specifically linked to individual NPCs - some NPCs will refer to you as "Sir"... also, my Trooper usually calls General Garza (a woman) "Sir" even though the voice and chest contouring makes it very clear that General Garza is female.

I would hazard a guess that it is a deliverate design decision by Bioware intended to give individual NPCs a slight personality dimension, because there does seem to be a natural inclination in the real world for some people to refer to authority figures or people with power as "Sir" by default. It could be a reflection of that...

Titles of respect in the game (sir, my lord, Master, Lord, Darth, etc.) seem to be entirely gender-neutral by design. It fits with the general sense of gender equality in the setting, and it also makes the VO work simpler. ;)

Real world American and I would assume most English speaking militaries refer to ranking officer as Sir, regardless of gender. So I am pretty sure that was intentional.

No, American military members call female officers "Ma'am".

However, if you read the codex in game, this is a deliberate decision as higher ranking officers within both the Republic and Empire are called "Sir".

I was about to say since my Jedi's are pretty much treated like high ranking military officials due to their militant choices in dialogue I don't get mad that they are addressed as Sir. I see it as a sign of respect. Sure living in the south it may have been more common for me to here Mam instead but Im not losing any hair or sleep over this I just chalk it up as a sign of polite respect especially when its a private or someone low ranking on the command chain addressing me.

Given the nature of Star Wars, with the many different races, with some of them having more then two genders and some having none.

It is in the lore that everyone is refereed to as Sir or Lord. In the SW universe Sir/Lore is considered gender neutral. This is true in the books as well as the games.

Given the nature of Star Wars, with the many different races, with some of them having more then two genders and some having none.

It is in the lore that everyone is refereed to as Sir or Lord. In the SW universe Sir/Lore is considered gender neutral. This is true in the books as well as the games.

This. My two Sith are called "Lord" not "Lady". I always took it as something of a "gender neutral" practice.

Real world American and I would assume most English speaking militaries refer to ranking officer as Sir, regardless of gender. So I am pretty sure that was intentional.

Actually, the US military refers to female officers as ma'am. Other militaries around the world use sir as a multigendered form of respect. Canadian and British are two I can think of, in fact. Also, in Star Trek, Starfleet refers to female officers the same way. As sir. Same as males.

I definitely think it's a gender neutral term, not a male term. As well as Darth, lord, Master, and the like....

But whenever i personally refer to my sith, I always call them Lady. Sounds elegant. Except for the Warrior, she's a Lord because she's a ******.

No, American military members call female officers "Ma'am".

However, if you read the codex in game, this is a deliberate decision as higher ranking officers within both the Republic and Empire are called "Sir".

That's for political correctness because a particular type of activist cried a lot about it. Formal military protocol (although no longer enforced) is to refer to any officer of higher rank "sir" regardless of any gender(s) they may or may not have.

The Codex entry regarding military organisation for both Sith and Republic address this issue, stating something along the lines of "Sir is used to refer to anyone of higher rank regardless of gender"

I believe this is addressed for two reasons:

1) Not all species in the Republic (and a lesser extent in the xenophobic Empire) are immediately recognisable as one sex or the other. Rather than risk a faux pas by calling your superiour "Ma'am" just because he has long pretty head tenticles, breast-like man sacks and wears flowers, it is safer to refer to everyone as Sir.

2) It halves the voice acting required, which is a HUGE saving on both computer memory and monetary costs.

Edited by Verasmis

I have a female sith char and when I speak with quest givers they call me "Sir" . . . will this be fixed? It is rather annoying. :mad:

Not necessarily. Some people believe that you should address higher-ranking people as "Sir" regardless of gender. As the only people who are higher in rank than a Sith are OTHER Sith, expect to be called this a lot.

I actually really like the decision to refer to all characters as "Sir" or "Lord" -it makes the genders feel far more equal by removing a lot of the connotations associated to "Lady", "miss" and "ma'am". After all, it's not like a the character has different rank according to their gender.

The only person I can think of who doesn't follow this gender neutral "rule" is on Alderaan -the guy from house Thuul referred to my Inquisitor, at least, as "Lady". Which is also a nice touch, to be honest -different cultures, different strokes.

However, it does sometimes feel a bit silly when my character is referred to as "he" :p

Titles of respect in the game (sir, my lord, Master, Lord, Darth, etc.) seem to be entirely gender-neutral by design. It fits with the general sense of gender equality in the setting, and it also makes the VO work simpler. ;)

This. An officer is "Sir". Saying anything different for any reason is disrespectful and can get you in trouble.