Stun, stun, doom

Fiberx

CCs are fine, CC breaker and its CD is also fine.

So by "fine" you mean:

-the fact that I can get an 8 second mezz, watch my resolve bar fill up to 80%, then get hit by another 8 second mezz for another 8 seconds of CC.

Total time in CC = 16 seconds.

-the fact that my Resolve bar will deplete while I'm still sitting in my stun. Yes, that's right, you can watch your Resolve bar deplete while being CC'd.

-The fact that so many mezzed and stuns are PbAoE, thus affecting melees much more frequently than ranged.

-The fact that very few CC abilities actually require a cast-time and are therefor impossible to avoid.

-the fact that a 4 second stun, during which you can be beat down to clump, allows room for another 4 second stun to follow straight away, if you are still alive that is. A 4 second stun only giving 80% resolve is probably the biggest flaw in the system.

-The fact that roots and snares don't affect Resolve, although being almost as bad as a stun vs. melees.

-The fact that many CCs like knockbacks are on incredibly short CDs. In fact, by the time an Operative has reached the Sage who kicked him off in Huttball has reached him again, the ability is probably ready to go again.

-The fact that there is little to no variation in CC. It's either a 4 second stun or an 8 second mezz.

-The fact that 1 Warzone in particular is all about spaming CCs non-stop. Huttball is practically decided by how much CC you have on your team vs. how much the other team has.

But hey, I could go on all day.

There is plenty wrong with CC in SWTOR and there's many easy ways to fix it.

They could start by:

-Giving more CC actual cast-times.

-Limiting the number of targets hit by PbAoE CC (like Awe or knockbacks).

-Giving more variety of stuns instead of all being 4/8 seconds.

-Having a 4 second stun grant full Resolve

-Having Resolve not deplete while still in CC

-Have roots and snares affect Resolve

-Simply make CC last 50% of the duration if your Resolve is at 50% when hit by CC.

CC in this game is too abundant. Period.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start by saying that by in large, I really enjoy swtor. PvE is great and the bioware storyline force power is strong.

However I play mmo's for pvp more than pve and your pvp is suffering from a lack of history lessons IMO.

Looking back at WoW and Warhammer (especially Warhammer), one can clearly percieve a strong connection between overzealous crowd control abilities and pvp crappiness. CC is a crutch and depends entirely on ruining the experience of other players as a game mechanic.

Previous games that tread the stun stun, doom path have spent countless hours attempting to "fix" a mechanic that is not actually wanted (in pvp) by anyone that isn't currently winning no contest fights by exploiting it. One should not replace what little skill and knowledge is required in mmo pvp with a rock paper scissors mechanic of stun-upsmanship.

Please consider removing about 90% of the CC in pvp, including the ever SO obnoxious knockback for which I shall harbor infinite hatred until I depart this MMOrtal coil.

Thanks for the awesome PvE. Here's hoping you can deliver an active, enjoyable, tactical pvp in the future.

I couldn't agree more. PvP plays more like a game of pinball than anything else. It's sad, but true.

CC in this game is basically spammable and takes no skill and coordination what so ever to take anyone down, between stuns, mezzes, knockdowns, knockbacks, and snares, roots (which ignore resolve) you can literally keep someone CC's in some form 100% of the time, there is no skill and coordination to this.

There is no spammable CC in this game.

Games without CC are nothing but dumbed-down DPS races. Boring.

/facepalm

In your opinion.

Frankly, its no more a dumbed-down DPS race than this dumbed-down CC competition.

I hate Blizzard for bringing this crap to MMOs. For the love of Mike, just let people fight!!!!!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

I hate CC in PvP.

I don't particularly mind CC. I understand it serves a purpose.

That being said, I don't think the resolve mechanic is in quite the right place yet concerning the abundance of CC that exists in this game.

My suggestion:

1) Resolve bar should increase from ANY ability that takes away
full
control from your character. Knockbacks, knockdowns, CCs, roots, stuns, slows, pulls should all increase resolve, but not necessarily by the same amount.

2) Resolve bar should not deplete while ANY of those effects are active.

I think that could have a positive affect on the horrible cluster**** that is SWTOR PvP.

Annnnnnnnd stopped there. That's like saying 'Having a high defence and high HP is a crutch and depends entirely on ruining the experience of DPS classes'.

Did you just say high defense relative to it's ability to protect from DPS classes? Please, let's not open that can of worms...

My suggestion:

1) Resolve bar should increase from ANY ability that takes away
full
control from your character. Knockbacks, knockdowns, CCs, roots, stuns, slows, pulls should all increase resolve, but not necessarily by the same amount.

2) Resolve bar should not deplete while ANY of those effects are active.

I think that could have a positive affect on the horrible cluster**** that is SWTOR PvP.

Roots do not precent your character from doing /dance or using a move. Only stuns and mezzs do. Knockbacks only move your position. I agree with number two, though.

Talk to me after you get root-locked for 20 seconds right in front of an objective.

Were you fighting against 3 snipers? That's the only way you can be root locked. Being rooted also doesn't prevent passing.

Edited by anwg

I think each piece of the 5 body armor pieces should reduce the CD on your trinket by 5 or 10 seconds. I think resolve is fine personally, but I would rather see something like this implemented than changing resolve or nerfing CC.

CC's in this game are ok, but resolve is not.

It is very bad combat design to remove control from the player for to long as it is now case in this game.

There are 2 ways to fix that.

1) On top of current resolve system, add 5-10 sec global immunity to any mayor CC after one ends (mayor CC are ones removing play control over their character actions - means roots and snares would still be minor CC's unaffected by this immunity).

OR

2) Make all all mayor CC's unbreakable only for 2 sec, and after first 2 seconds they break on any damage.

Either by implementing 1 or 2 (or both) fight would be more fluid, there would be no chain CC to death ever again making PVP tactical. So you don't use your CC's as free kill n00b mechanic that prevent other player to even strike back, but to actually use em smart when needed.

Something like this would even make 1 vs 2 fights possible as a smart player would still be able to CC one, then not hit him but swap to other target. While in group combat CC's would still be dangerous to anyone as 3 sec is a very long time when 5 or more players are nuking you.

Some of the points here are valid and some are not.

Why should a Smuggler have 3 stuns? They come out of stealth, which knows you down with a 3.5k(average) hit, then stun you - hit you again, you attempt to break - they blind you, hit you again - dead.

As quick as that.

The overall problem is that every single class has at least 1-3 stuns and someone said that 'maybe you shouldnt take on 3 by yourself' is utter crap. Have you played Huttball?

Why should a trooper knock back be stronger than a Siths? You dont see Han Solo running around stunning the enemy. Its all a farce and needs urgent addressing

ANY CC should break on damage, Exactly as it would in any other MMO, and should NOT be able to stun a target when it breaks ( Or if it does, Resolve should grow respectively ).

Resolve should also go up for how long you've been CCd, not instant. A 4 second CC gives 800/1000 Resolve, therefore each second you sit in a CC you gain 200 Resolve ( .5seconds=100 Resolve for example ).

Roots should also react to resolve. If 1000 Resolve shortened a root's length by 33%-50%, 500 could respectively shorten it by 16.5%-25% etc; This would cut down on the chained roots while a player is not CCd.

Some of the points here are valid and some are not.

Why should a Smuggler have 3 stuns? They come out of stealth, which knows you down with a 3.5k(average) hit, then stun you - hit you again, you attempt to break - they blind you, hit you again - dead.

Just because you don't know how to counter one of the weaker classes in the game doesn't mean other mechanics are broke.

The problem is that most classes have been balanced with cc in mind and as a check. If you take out most of the cc, you leave a lot of classes seriously OP.

Correct! these bads think that the removal of cc will enable them to run around spamming their abilities to their hearts content and dominate the leaderboards.......once classes are balanced for the removal of their cc the same bads will still be face down in the middle of the arena and coming back to the boards to complain about something else...

Just because you don't know how to counter one of the weaker classes in the game doesn't mean other mechanics are broke.

By counter, do you mean maybe standing in fire to help a dps class take you down faster?