Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

SWTOR gets a nice mention in Forbes Magazine

Varnoc

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, I had no idea League of Legends had a player base that big.

I was a bit surprised by that as well.

I tried it a while back and it just isn't my cup of tea.

I assume the price of admission has a lot to do with the numbers for that game.

Note: This is not entirely confirmed and the following is more of a theorized academic thought on server population; This is how I've seen a number of server farms with load balancing and reporting features on server utilization setup. I have found server farms to be commonly setup this way. It is a very rough, basic explanation.

keep in mind while looking at server population status such as "Heavy, Standard, Low." The status is most likely calculated by the max amount of users on a server and the actual number. If you recall from the release. BW was increasing the max user limits on certain servers, probably using server load balancing. You will not be able to determine a total server population solely on the "Heavy, Standard, or Low" status as it is dependent on the server (the set player limit and the actual amount of players active) as to what the status is reported.

Rough example:

Fatman vs Venzalo

Max player limits:

Fatman - 10000

Venzalo - 5000

Actual players on:

Fatman - 4000

Venzalo - 4000

Rough guess:

Low < 40%

Standard 41%-79%

Heavy > 80%

Based off these numbers you can assume the following status: Fatman although having the same actual amount of players can be classified as Low population and Venzalo would be classified as Heavy population.

Cheers,

Hyde

Edited by HydeCiel

As of right now, almost all European servers are at Standard population. I assume that they do not have low population problems.

It is really strange if the majority of SW:TOR's loyal customers are from outside the US.

Someone basically proved that standard can be anywhere from 362 to 1829, so "standard" designation really doesn't mean anything.

Someone basically proved that standard can be anywhere from 362 to 1829, so "standard" designation really doesn't mean anything.

No they did not. I question both their methodology and the accuracy of what they did.

Why you say? Because I have tested what STANDARD means on a good number of servers and have never seen it below 1000 or above 1500. You have to run the test in the middle of prime time on a STANDARD server and do a detailed /who population count (with no assumptions, estimations, or shortcuts). WHY, because I do believe here is a lag time on the status flags changing on the status page (which can easily account for outliers from the 1000-1500 figure), so I make sure that I do it in the middle of server prime time when populations are most likely to be stable.

It pays to independently veryify things.

LIGHT on the other hand can be anywhere from 0 to 1000. And there are some light servers that are really suffering.

Edited by Andryah

No they did not. I question both their methodology and the accuracy of what they did.

Why you say? Because I have tested what STANDARD means on a good number of servers and have never seen it below 1000 or above 1500. You have to run the test in the middle of prime time on a STANDARD server and do a detailed /who population count (with no assumptions, estimations, or shortcuts). WHY, because I do believe here is a lag time on the status flags changing on the status page (which can easily account for outliers from the 1000-1500 figure), so I make sure that I do it in the middle of server prime time when populations are most likely to be stable.

It pays to independently veryify things.

LIGHT on the other hand can be anywhere from 0 to 1000. And there are some light servers that are really suffering.

Fair enough.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=350700&page=15

Bye's post. What say you?

Edited by Frostvein

Totally. 8 years later, Blizzard acknowledges that people are leaving their game and that the most currently released MMO game with Star Wars in the title might be contributing to some of that loss. BW is not Blizzard when it comes to online games. BW has no online game experience, actually. It shows.

For how much people bash ragers for being so dumb, the fanboys are just as hilarious. You guys are taking any whiff of TORs mediocre and underwhelming success as a reason to dance on a mountaintop.

I'm not saying this article is exagerrated, I'm sure it's absolutely true. WoW is still the best mainstream MMO on the market by a large margin. It's almost a decade old, and this article is newsworthy. :rolleyes:

Neat article.

INB4 paid off

Listen, Forbes has a reputation to uphold. It's not going to be 'paid off' to report anything favorably (sure, there might be paid political journalist who contribute, but that's another issue).

In short, Forbes opinion > your anonymous opinion.

Totally. 8 years later, Blizzard acknowledges that people are leaving their game and that the most currently released MMO game with Star Wars in the title might be contributing to some of that loss. BW is not Blizzard when it comes to online games. BW has no online game experience, actually. It shows.

For how much people bash ragers for being so dumb, the fanboys are just as hilarious. You guys are taking any whiff of TORs mediocre and underwhelming success as a reason to dance on a mountaintop.

I'm not saying this article is exagerrated, I'm sure it's absolutely true. WoW is still the best mainstream MMO on the market by a large margin. It's almost a decade old, and this article is newsworthy. :rolleyes:

And yet here you are, subscribing to our 'mediocre' game, lol. Thanks for the cash. I and BioWare appreciate it.

nice read, wow has been on a downhill slide before tor, I sure the next big hit will be gw2, which will effect Tor as well, lets face it, wow is getting old and tired to all but the fanbois of the game, it's time has come and I see wow free to play in a couple of years..not saying anything bad here, it's just the facts.. Edited by kevlarto

And yet here you are, subscribing to our 'mediocre' game, lol. Thanks for the cash. I and BioWare appreciate it.

Did I say in my post I was still paying a subscription? I paid for one monthly fee after hitting 50. I cancelled it soon thereafter. I only gave BW my cash for as long as they were providing me an experience worth that cash. Leveling was great. But that's all they put in.

I make a few points, and you decide to latch on to a baseless assumption and quote my whole thread? Something that wasn't even mentioned in the quote you choose. Interesting!

Edited by MPagano

1.7 mil is not too shabby for an upstart MMO. Of course to you anything less than 10 mil is complete and utter failsauce, amirite?

We get it. You love WoW. You should go back to it. They would welcome you with open arms.

Did I say in my post I was still paying a subscription? I paid for one monthly fee after hitting 50. I cancelled it soon thereafter. I only gave BW my cash for as long as they were providing me an experience worth that cash. Leveling was great. But that's all they put in.

I make a few points, and you decide to latch on to a baseless assumption and quote my whole thread? Something that wasn't even mentioned in the quote you choose. Interesting!

No, you called anyone who doesn't see things your way as a "fanboi". People tend to stop reading what you have to say once this happens. I know I did.

Edited by Jederix

Heh, funny that, because Blizzard had no online experience either when they started WoW :D

but i guess that somehow doesnt matter in your "BW has no online game experience" argument?

1.7 mil is not too shabby for an upstart MMO. Of course to you anything less than 10 mil is complete and utter failsauce, amirite?

We get it. You love WoW. You should go back to it. They would welcome you with open arms.

Boy you guys sure know how to turn nothing into something. I'm still trying to figure out where I compared 1.7 million to 10 million. You're good at subtext. Reading things I didn't even know I wrote!

No, you called anyone who doesn't see things your way as a "fanboi". People tend to stop reading what you have to say once this happens. I know I did.

It's pretty straightforward, I was referring to the people who are bickering with the haters in this thread. I'll spell it out for you:

either you are bickering with the ragers and the statement applies to you and is absolutely accruate, or you aren't bickering with the ragers in which case you would not care that I was addressing fanboys.

Please continue to address irrelevant points in my threads and try to paint me as some wow-lover with unreasonable expectations. It's only furthering my point.

Heh, funny that, because Blizzard had no online experience either when they started WoW :D

but i guess that somehow doesnt matter in your "BW has no online game experience" argument?

Haha. I know you're just trolling, but I can't help it since I'm sitting at my desk for another 20 minutes.

Warcraft I

Warcraft II

Warcraft III (is this jarring your memory?)

Warcraft Frozen Throne

Starcraft

Starcraft II

Sorry, when I said "online game experience" I mean "experience in developing and managing online games".

Go ahead and do some research on BWs development portfolio. I'll be here, but only for another 20 minutes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.