Weekend Pass; a review from a new player

DreaddJester

Hello everyone,

After having experienced SWTOR for the first time this weekend I wanted to give a review of what I thought about the Weekend Pass and my first impressions of SWTOR.

Having played several MMORPG's in the past I sort of knew what to expect to a degree. When I first read the Q&A for the Weekend Pass I expected most of what I read as it was more or less standard fare restrictions for a trial. However I was thrown back a bit when I read that Weekend Pass players couldn't chat in general chat. At first I thought it seemed a bit too restrictive but then I came to understand and even respect the decision. Once I thought about it I realized that it was done because the developers actually care about their current players and don't want a bunch of weekend trial folk in there mucking up general chat. It was definately something that I took notice of and held in high respect. You don't find many devs caring that much about their current player base.

So before I even started the game I knew I wanted to play a smuggler. Visions of being like Han Solo filled my brain. I was not let down in the least. I truly enjoyed actually feeling like I was part of the story and what a story it is. Then there's the whole cover system, something I've not seen done in MMORPG's, at least the ones I've played. Combat really gave you a sense that you were in an intense firefight and the NPC's respond in more or less believable ways.

After bringing my initial smuggler up to level 11 I decided it was time to play around with the other classes a bit. I tried all on the Republic side and half of the Empire side. Yes I do realize that it wasn't truly "all" or "half" since you specialize into advanced classes later but what I did experience was incredible. Each class played and felt different, even between the Republic and the Empire side. It was very nice and very refreshing to see.

After playing around with the different classes I decided it was time to get down to brass tacks. I like roleplaying and in games I play I want a strong roleplaying server. A quick check on these forums and a few others revealed to me that there was indeed some great roleplaying going on on several RP servers. Once again, this was a big deal for me.

So I started up another smuggler on the Lord Adraas server named Vinsatii. I have now gotten him up to level 13, turned him into a gunslinger, and I'm very happy to say I've gone ahead and purchased SWTOR based on this one weekend of play. I've yet to find a guild or get into any great roleplaying as I've just been having a blast playing the game but I plan to very soon.

Thank you devs for the wonderful weekend with an incredible game. As for everyone else, I hope to see you all in game soon!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

After having experienced SWTOR for the first time this weekend I wanted to give a review of what I thought about the Weekend Pass and my first impressions of SWTOR.

Having played several MMORPG's in the past I sort of knew what to expect to a degree. When I first read the Q&A for the Weekend Pass I expected most of what I read as it was more or less standard fare restrictions for a trial. However I was thrown back a bit when I read that Weekend Pass players couldn't chat in general chat. At first I thought it seemed a bit too restrictive but then I came to understand and even respect the decision. Once I thought about it I realized that it was done because the developers actually care about their current players and don't want a bunch of weekend trial folk in there mucking up general chat. It was definately something that I took notice of and held in high respect. You don't find many devs caring that much about their current player base.

So before I even started the game I knew I wanted to play a smuggler. Visions of being like Han Solo filled my brain. I was not let down in the least. I truly enjoyed actually feeling like I was part of the story and what a story it is. Then there's the whole cover system, something I've not seen done in MMORPG's, at least the ones I've played. Combat really gave you a sense that you were in an intense firefight and the NPC's respond in more or less believable ways.

After bringing my initial smuggler up to level 11 I decided it was time to play around with the other classes a bit. I tried all on the Republic side and half of the Empire side. Yes I do realize that it wasn't truly "all" or "half" since you specialize into advanced classes later but what I did experience was incredible. Each class played and felt different, even between the Republic and the Empire side. It was very nice and very refreshing to see.

After playing around with the different classes I decided it was time to get down to brass tacks. I like roleplaying and in games I play I want a strong roleplaying server. A quick check on these forums and a few others revealed to me that there was indeed some great roleplaying going on on several RP servers. Once again, this was a big deal for me.

So I started up another smuggler on the Lord Adraas server named Vinsatii. I have now gotten him up to level 13, turned him into a gunslinger, and I'm very happy to say I've gone ahead and purchased SWTOR based on this one weekend of play. I've yet to find a guild or get into any great roleplaying as I've just been having a blast playing the game but I plan to very soon.

Thank you devs for the wonderful weekend with an incredible game. As for everyone else, I hope to see you all in game soon!

glad you're enjoying the game as much as we are :D

and i agree with you about the general chat. very smart move by the devs

Ive played a lot of games in my day. Too many. This one is just darn FUN.

It has its issues. I can see myself getting bored with it pretty fast due to lack of replayability. But, ITS FUN!

LOVE the companions system. I have more fun with those guys lol. LOVE the crafting system (which I normally dont in games). LOVE MY SHIP!!

Its just plain fun.

M

This is the first positive thing i've read on the forums since the PTS notes for 1.2 hit. Now that has all turned into whining about how "insert class here" is going to be useless due to changes.

Glad to have another person that just enjoys the game.

Welcome to the game and have fun.

One word of advice, stay away from these forums as much as you can. The amount of debbie downers here is staggering.

That's so funny... 1 minute ago I was reading a post and thought to myself "what a debbie downer.."

In short, I agree! I just use these forums mostly to give *constructive* feedback and suggestions... the amount of QQ is staggering to behold for any new player.

So I very much like this positive, refreshing review!

Hey OP, very glad to hear you had a good experience and have joined us.

Just out of curiosity... since there has been debate here about it....

Did they give you free access to all servers, or were you limited to rolling on certain servers??

One word of advice, stay away from these forums as much as you can. The amount of debbie downers here is staggering.

I do agree it gets old, but I don't think its much worse than other MMO forums. I mean WOW's forums are full of people complaining about everything from class balance to Mists, at least they were a few months ago when I was still playing. Haven't really checked in a while.

Lol.... I've been on the forums once or twice and by what you hear you would think this whole game was being cancelled:D

To the OP, glad to have another SW fan... may the force be with you:cool:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.