So, I made a friend! ...yay?

Sunosan

so is the OP still having his/her stalker problem cause if so im more then willing to log on an even make a new alt on your server just to tell the person to f off an take a flying leap out of the nearest airlock.

Likewise just let us know ...

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story's great, and I feel for you. I've never had anything like that happen to me (then again, I'm a male toon), but I think I'd die of horror if someone ever did that to me.

BTW, to the previous posters, his problem has been resolved. The 'stalker' was under the assumption that since the OP had a female toon, that he was female in real life, and the stalker's 'girlfriend.' After he told someone else that he was a man in real life, the stalker ran away and hasn't been online since, but the OP has recieved several jabs referring to him being a man in real life and making a female toon.

Thanks yoshi an whats wrong with men or women making toons of the opposite gender im a male an ive got a female trooper an did have a female consular.

an besides its an mmo so why do people always assume that just cause the toon is a female that the one created her is aswel.

i seriously dont get why people always make assumptions

This is without a shadow of a doubt the FUNNIEST post i have ever seen on here ! XD

I am so sorry for what can only be classed as cyber-stalking but netherless is still very funny (until it happens to me).

I say do what everyone else is suggesting and do "/ignore playername" or soon enough he will get the message. I certainly dont think its worth reporting to customer services just yet.

What i think may have happened is he has friended you so that on all his alts he has you listed as a friend, he sees you logging on and changes to his character that is where you are.

Leave it a week or so without logging on - let him get further into the game and he may leave you alone.

*Sing it with me.*

"And the cat came back, the very next day"

Ok so having my little bit of fun there, but I must admit, like many here, while finding it amusing, I could see a geniune concern here.

Pleased to see it was settled in the end. Must be a huge sih of releif for you. Yes even in guilds you do not get that kind of response. But no, you really do not want a friend like thyat.

As someone pointed out he was a vampiric character, and you were the food source. And given your obviously a very kind and reasonable sort, you allowed him to take advantage of you. A lesson to be learned, you can say no without being mean, which you did so far as I can tell. And that was admirable. And let me be straight, most of us have been there in our lives some way or other. And many gave advice here that may have been harder to follow where they in your shoes. Always the way.

Nonetheless uncomfortable, but resolved in the end. His problems were not yours to bear. Your here to pay and play a game. And he has no right to dictate how you should play. Such is life though, when dealing in online games and communities, you will meet by those who use them to express themselves where normally they can not. And this can be as amazingly fantastic to see as it can be unsettling. So no need to tar them all with the same brush. As you can see by the reactions here, people laughing and scratching their heads, it is very uncommon.

That would be me.

I have an ASD and find social situations difficult. Constantly being shunned because you're "different" or say and do things that people think you're stupid.

We can't all be mr popular, or mr fantastic. But hey, let's just shun those who can't help themselves.

People like you are all image (trust me I've known a few), all about themselves and how they can't think for themselves.

I understand where the OP comes from though, as I have been where they come from, and I have been the "stalker" even though I didn't realise what itwas I was doing. I was just trying to be friendly.

I must say, I read the post you replied to with a degree of dismay too. What a jaded, cynical and bigoted way of living your life. Such an approach solves nothing. And actually compounds the issues.

One can only hold a mirror in our social duty, and see if someone is able to recognise what they see, and make a positive change from within. Bashing them and berating them for ones own comfort solves nothing, and also says something about your own insecurities.

But I don;t think anyone here is going to make a change in perception on a game forum.

Your story is pretty funny, the most funny part is the person thought you were female(or were going to RP a female) and then thought you were his girlfriend, hahaha.

In all honesty I often feel MMO "friends" are usually nothing but pests.

I don't like having people /whis me with "hi, hey, whatsup, what are you doing, want to quest?"

It's much less annoying to simply group in general chat for the quest and then leave group once you're finished.

While I see nothing wrong with going about your biz, and playing the game your way, I feel compelled to say, I have spoken about the very approach you describe, as being a major negative impact on MMOs now.

You may be a quiet reserved sort of person, and that is fine. But treating and regarding people as a bother, and a tool to be used grudgingly makes me wonder why people even play MMOs at all. And worse yet, devs are catering to that. You may not have actually been doing that in fairness. It is just how you came across. And I have met people who do that.

Grouping then quitting feel more like a factory than a place of fun to me. And that was one of the major cotributing factors to my leaving MMOs that I may have stuck out a bit longer. The best MMOs I have played have not necessarrily been the best techincally or graphically. They have had a fantastic community.

Edited by Paralassa
content quote

Great story OP, If i can nominate this for an oscar i would have.

I have seen, heard and experienced the same story so many times I dare not count. I guess it cant be avoided in a world you cant see IRL.

I have read this thread about 4times and enjoyed everyone's comments. Even cried laughing when your stalker found the truth about reality.

@ mrschmo I would like to read the greek dude reaction to this if he ever posted in the greek forums (somewhere), greek or not.

I even read the novel made by gamerindallas ( I had to reread it twice to be sure on some points).

I wish the best to you dude, I hope you enjoy the game as much as everyone else.

See you guys in game. :cool:

Hey guys!

Im suprised this thread has generated the interest that it has - it just goes to show this community is a lot more (level-headed) nicer than another MMORPG community that shall, henceforth, remain nameless.

I went away with a pang of guilt thinking to myself "Shame it's all over, im gonna leave all those guys hanging!" - it isnt.

Im not sure what has happened, but... well maybe you will know?

So, UPDATE:

Im happily questing, being free from my stalker when I start getting whispers - only a few at first - telling me it's wrong to pretend to be a girl online and lead somebody on.

I'd just like to point out, ive never ever done this. I read a thread from a NAMELESS MMORPG a while back where a guy did just that to get the in game equivilent of IRL cash from men giving "Her" items and found it funny - but it is just one of those things I would never do.

One of those things like "Would you sleep with THIS GUY for 10 million dollars?!?!?" "No, ew!" - y'know?

The longest conversation I ever had with my stalker went on periodicly for an hour and went a little something like this:

"How many do you need now?" [Me]

"30 you? :)" [Him]

"How many do you need now?" [Me]

"27 you? :)"

etcetcetc - as we changed quests, the same, the same, the boring same.

So, im taking the time to explain to these few people (some level 1 alts, others in their 40's) what happened and most of them have pretty much been "Oh, lol thats funny! Well, sorry, bye!"

But others...

Ive started to get more and more who wont listen to reason. Im going to assume they're nothing but trolls looking for some sort of reaction - but it appears I am guilty by association - playing a female toon means I NEED TO BE female.

One went like this:

"How dare you do something like that? Pretend to be a dude to lead somebody on! You're sick, this happened to my friend a while back and he got real upset about it!" [Him]

"Ok, but that isnt what happend at all, this is what happened:" [Me] - followed by 10 minutes of explaining.

"Well thats not the point [bEEP] what did you expect, pretending to be a girl!" [Him]

"Whut?!" [Me]

"How do you expect to be treating (sic) when playing a girl toon?!" [him]

"With courtesy, decency and respect!" [Me] Followed by a swift /ignore

This is happening more and more lately which leads me to suggest he's made his own mock up on a forum somewhere - so I googled my character name to check and found a great deal of nothing.

My character name is a lot different from my forum name (it was already taken on my server :( ) and the only thing google shows up about it is a few pages about a hotel in Connecticut.

So I reckon he has told a few people who have passed it on who have passed it on and now it's turned into a big game of chinese whispers.

Seriously, i'll get small, random messages that amount to saying "lol you're a dude!" from people quickly logging off and then i'll get people who just want to cause some sort of argument.

I cant keep blocking people! If I do i'll have nobody to play with lol

SO, yes, I am back hiding on my alt. I think I should find a new server - one with a nice populated Jedi side (im sith at the moment and I HATE BALMORRA >.<! I cant do that place again!!!)

Any ideas?

They're not bothering to listen, so why bother explaining? Stop wasting your time. The stalker obviously has a bruised ego (it's his own fault) and probably IS causing a commotion somewhere (public/private forum, guild, RL friends, etc.). Of course, he's telling the story from his own point of view.

Stop caring about what other people think, especially if you don't know them. You can't change people if they don't want to be changed.

Do not respond to any of them. Reacting simply makes them want to do it again. If you never react, they'll eventually get bored and stop.

Or, you could take the path of the Dark Side and play mind games with them:

Whisper (to his alt): "I'm actually a girl in RL. I just wanted to get that jerk off my back. Please don't tell him."

Whisper (to random comments): "I'm not a girl. I just play one in VR."

Whisper (to random comments): "You've been reported for harassment. /ignore"

Whisper (to random comments): "I also cosplay my character IRL. ;)"

[General]: "Looking for Real Men for flashpoints PST"

Edited by O-Deka-K

Guy clearly decided to devote his life to you, and such small thing as gender won't change that. Better play on your main, fishing for his 'friends' and reporting each and every one for harassment. Nothing should make you want to delete your character, and you've already got post from CS offering help. If they go out of their way to send random messages and logout, reporting them isn't excessive at all.

I'd be willing to bet that a good portion of the people whispering to you are actually him or his cohort that spoke better english on lvl 1 alts. I agree with the above statement that each and every one should be reported for harrassment - the moderators of those reports can see exactly what account they're coming from, and if it turns out that they are all the same account, it will likely get banned (even if only temporarily). Don't respond, don't even acknowledge them, just report harrassment and move on (I'm fairly certain that such a report also temporarily puts them on ignore so you won't have to hear anymore from them). This has gone behind an innocent misunderstanding to full on stalking and harrassment; it's time to treat it as such.

That just sucks. Your problem had fixed itself and now you're stuck with another one and it's impacting the fun of the game for you. If it were me I wouldn't delete my character and start over, you did nothing wrong so why should you suffer. It's getting to the point of full on harrassment now. If it were me I'd open up a customer service ticket for harrassment and inform them of everything that's happened since the beginning, even referrence this thread as it has already gotten one CSR responce. I would also request that they allow you to change your name. It sucks but at least it will keep people from randomly whispering you for no good reason.

As a woman IRL, yes, this would absolutely freak me out.

Most of the toons I create are female. I only have one male toon, and I happily tell my guildmates that I'm crossdressing when I play him. I do not go around telling anyone I play with that I'm a girl though. I even try to act like a guy, as far as when I say goodbye to groups, I'll say, "Take care man." or something. I also tend to use a lot of smilies when I talk on games, so I've made myself stop doing those on my male character, thinking those would give me away. :D

I feel for ya though. One experience avalanched into what you are now experiencing. That really sucks.

Wish I could recommend a good Jedi server, but my Republic toons are on Empress Teta, but it seems harder to get groups for things. I spent two nights trying to get a group for a heroic in Taris (I'm playing a jedi guardian who is now 7 levels above the heroic.. if it was a 2 I'd just do it, but it's a 4 and not sure I can). So I'm thinking that's not really a good recommendation for ya.

Good luck and I hope you decide to switch to a server where you can start fresh without annoying whispers like that.

Also - being a girl, I still assume everyone is a guy too ;)

I would also request that they allow you to change your name. It sucks but at least it will keep people from randomly whispering you for no good reason.

One thing to keep in mind, that depending on how friend lists(or in this case, stalk list) work, it might not be so easy(although judging by way adding friends work, it should).

Given enought goodwill from CS everything is possible, but you might consider suffering for a while longer and directing that goodwill toward weeding out such creeps from our game.

OP i feel so sorry for you man mind you im sure that a few of us could all get together create alts on your server an beat the git at his own game by talking about said stalker until either the chat is full of us all talking drowning out the rest or they stop talking an log of or leave the planet.

an yes i hated balmorra aswel with my hunter an i still gotta go back there with my sith warrior an sith inquisitor an im not looking forward to it nor nar shaadaa.

an you shouldnt have to delete your player because of a few morons after all thiers no cure for stupidity an obviously the "stalker" was stupid for even assuming that in this day an age that you would be a RL girl an not just ask if you where a guy or a girl cause when i see a female player i only assume one thing an that is that they speak english every other assumption is out the window.

an as someone who has multiple alts some of whom are in the same guild an some who are not my guild mates all know when im around because on all characters i talk an act the same way except on my hunter where i rarely have the chat window open but on the ones where i do talk then i talk the same using the same phrases an greetings an constantly using "lol" i can not stop using lol its like an addiction stupid bloody anagram.

anyway i hope you get this sorted soon

NOOOOOOO Sunosan dont give up! this is your server! Maybe try explaining the situation to customer support or something....not sure how much they could do since its randome people. but seriously you should wage an all out flame war against them before you give up. rally support! you've seen how epic this threds become(though at this point its obvious most of the new commenters didnt follow your whole story, which is a shame since its so interesting) the point is no matter what don't give up! youve got the monky off your back now you just have to swat the flies he left!

Seriously, i'll get small, random messages that amount to saying "lol you're a dude!" from people quickly logging off and then i'll get people who just want to cause some sort of argument.

I cant keep blocking people! If I do i'll have nobody to play with lol

SO, yes, I am back hiding on my alt. I think I should find a new server - one with a nice populated Jedi side (im sith at the moment and I HATE BALMORRA >.<! I cant do that place again!!!)

Any ideas?

Wow, just wow! It's almost unreal that you're still having to deal with this guy and/or his buddies. Clearly he cannot be 33 yrs old as he claimed to be, he sound more like a 13 year old kid that is in desperate need to learn some real social skills and how to interact with other people!

I know it's easy to sit back here at the forum and give advice when you're not the one being stalked and harassed by some morons but you should probably just report them and hopefully they'll get a warning by a CSR and maybe learn that it's not ok to behave like they do.

Either that, or start a guild with some of the forumers in this thread, call it "The Dudettes" and go after the idiots and give them a taste of their own medicine! :D

It would be pretty sad if they force you to abandon your toon and/or your server just because of their ****** behaviour...

Anyway, good luck and hope it all works out well for you in the end!

oooooh z-ray you just gave me an idea an i think some of us forumers should start our own guild an all the men run female alts an the females run males an find this guy an really have some fun with him an teach him if it even was a he as lets face it it could of been a women on a male toon who did it for fun so yeah i think we should form a guild an hunt this moron down would be even better on pvp then we could all take turns whooping his arse

sorry to ruin ur fun but do remember that this person could be acting like this for a number of reasons...

it looks to me like he is in desperate need of contact from other persons. if this is the case then taunting him would not be very helpful and a bit cruel thing to do...

try to put ur self in his position. he probably only wanted contact. tho i agree that he drove it too far but is it rely hes fault? for all u know, both his parents could be dead and this is the only contact he know about...

most of the time, these type of players have issues RL that makes them like this. bullying him will not help in any way....

what he needs is good friends and as the OP have stated, there were a friend of him there at some point working as a translator between OP and this person.

Best thing u can do is to just leave him be and ignore him if u have to.

ok ive just gone back an read all of Sunosans posts.

an i must admit as someone else did that without knowing your a guy that you do post like a girl an the adventure on tatooine had me in stitches only thing missing was the benny hill music cause that would of made a great comedy gag there.

but what gets me is that the random guy said the stalker called you his gf now im pretty sure that even in greece to make a girl your girlfriend that you still ask them an wait for an answer not just start telling everyone that girl there is my girlfriend.

an i now im very sure that we should create an alt on a different server all choose the same alt so we start of in the same spot an then group up into a OPS so we can talk an formulate a plan of attack an when we have finished we delete that alt an create a new alt or choose a toon if you have one thats on the same server as the OP an put that plan into action.

an even though im a 29yr old guy i can play a pretty decent w***e after all all my exes were cheating cows so ive got experience lol an lets give them someone new to talk about but id be hoping he follows so when we get in a fight an he goes down ill just leave him an pretend to apologize an all that crap an sooner or later they wont be talking about you pretending to be a women as they will all be wanting a date with miss big an dripping here lol.

now whos up for doing it an getting some of these morons of the op's back

oooooh z-ray you just gave me an idea an i think some of us forumers should start our own guild an all the men run female alts an the females run males an find this guy an really have some fun with him an teach him if it even was a he as lets face it it could of been a women on a male toon who did it for fun so yeah i think we should form a guild an hunt this moron down would be even better on pvp then we could all take turns whooping his arse

lol i totally suggested something similar like 3 pages ago

BEST! THREAD! EVER!!!!!!!

But in all seriousness, take this matter up with BW. This Harrasment has already got out of hand. Write out a full account of what happened (dates and times if pos, not easy i know. and of course, names) and keep a printed copy at the side of your computer. This is so when BW ask you about this situation, you have all the facts at hand. You don't want to miss anything out when telling the representative.

raise a ticket with BW customer support, telling them as much informattion as possible. Things you need to include:

1) what has happened

2)how you feel troubled by this

3) how this person is breaking the ToS of the game (im pretty sure multiple ppl whispering you about this is a breach of ToS). bullet point each infraction and keep it with the print out.

4) what steps YOU have taken to prevent this

5) ask them, what do they intend to do about it? There is only so many times you can hit the ignore button before it should be considered a matter for the GM's. Remember, it is their responsability to ensure you are enjoying this product, and feeling safe whilst on their servers

6) (last, I mean the VERY last resort) you could always involve the police. Don't know how seriously they will taske it, but its still an option

Hope this helps,

Chime x

Edited by chimex