1.2 New armor models!

Iwipe

Now im curious as to what you define the look for the characters should be??

Are you going by the Star Wars Saga's (Movies)...which take place a thousand years or so after The Old Republic? The KOTOR games...in which case they are doing a fairly good job of it...sense they did create the looks.

So yea what is canon in your mind all? What BioWare created or the movies???

Edit: I do like the outfits...they have an old school / new school feel to them.

Time dont have much meaning in the star wars universe.

Things have been almost the same for thousands of years.

But why is is so hard to understand players actually want armors that

actually belongs in the star wars universe.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Bioware art people

You dont need to make things look as bizaar as possible to make "epic" looking gear.

the right particle effects and some cool lit areas on the gear is all thats needed.

and just an FYI, throwing on a few pieces of long cloth doesnt make them Jedi robes.

Whats the PVP sage supposed to be? Mecha-Grasshopper? Robo-Bug?

The Trooper PVE looks like an Anorexic robot.

Edited by Leopoldo

Gentlemen! Could we start summing up the general notion and address our mutual request to the developers? Here we go:

- BioWare, please have it noted that the general gaming public finds your efforts unsatisfactory in what concerns design of endgame armor for patch 1.2 for these main reasons:

1. All armor designs are questionable lore-wise and are taking the spirit of Star Wars even further away from the game, which the majority of us have no reasons to justify;

2. Basically, no given class has received an armor design which fits into it characteristically, which defines it gameplay role and style. This is true for all force-users and the Smuggler/Agent classes, with BH/Trooper being a possible exception.

We thus request that emergency measures be taken to change the said designs completely before patch 1.2 gets released. More importantly, we strongly suggest that in feature designs the general public's expectations on Star Wars atmosphere definition should be prioritized over individual designers' concepts who seem to work off existing trends in other MMOs (like World of Warcraft).

Thank you for understanig.

/signed

and fire those designers :-P another petition ! :-D

/signed

and fire those designers :-P another petition ! :-D

Designers and artists working in a commerical environment are often working within quite strict guidelines laid out for them and so it's rarely a case of "see what you can come up with". If they've failed it's probably not their fault.

If there's any blame here, it's with the 'men in suits' who put pressure on the design team to "build us another WoW". They see outlandish armour sets in WoW and think their game must have these too. Lore means nothing to the money men, they just want whatever they perceive will return them the most money.

Commercial pressures all too often subvert and poison the creative process. But the silly thing here is that the artists didn't even need to be that original, they could have drawn heavily from the well of past Star Wars design and 99% of the playerbase would have been very happy indeed.

Edited by Cernow

Gentlemen! Could we start summing up the general notion and address our mutual request to the developers? Here we go:

- BioWare, please have it noted that the general gaming public finds your efforts unsatisfactory in what concerns design of endgame armor for patch 1.2 for these main reasons:

1. All armor designs are questionable lore-wise and are taking the spirit of Star Wars even further away from the game, which the majority of us have no reasons to justify;

2. Basically, no given class has received an armor design which fits into it characteristically, which defines it gameplay role and style. This is true for all force-users and the Smuggler/Agent classes, with BH/Trooper being a possible exception.

We thus request that emergency measures be taken to change the said designs completely before patch 1.2 gets released. More importantly, we strongly suggest that in feature designs the general public's expectations on Star Wars atmosphere definition should be prioritized over individual designers' concepts who seem to work off existing trends in other MMOs (like World of Warcraft).

I actually like the designs they used personally however, if the community wants change. Then they should help make it happen by posting in this thread.

I have personal doubts they can make such drastic changes and redo entire armor models. Let what was made exist and just ask for change in the future so we can have more variety. However, if they do, good for you. :)

I like some, I dont like others... The trooper pvp looks kool though, as does the counsular pve... except I wouldnt want my shadow to be wearing a delicate looking thing (I'd prefer the furs from the pvp gear). I would like it on a sage female though. Ya, I have to admit most of it does look rediculous, but, meh, what do I know?

I have personal doubts they can make such drastic changes and redo entire armor models. Let what was made exist and just ask for change in the future so we can have more variety. However, if they do, good for you. :)

I doubt we'll even see many minor changes. What they've shown us is what we will get on live. The work on these armors is done, so ship 'em. Especially given the massive negative feedback they are getting in this thread. It isn't tweak this or that please. It is "this stuff is crap, scrap it."

The best we can hope for is less ugly stuff in the future.

I actually like the designs they used personally however, if the community wants change. Then they should help make it happen by posting in this thread.

Some really awesome original designs in that thread, but I don't know much steam it's going to pick up. Also, it's difficult to find people that are that talented at coming up with armor designs.

Although I don't think the problem is that the current artists are incapable of making cool-looking armor, but more that they're being told to make this kind of over-the-top armor as a previous poster said. What we DO need to show Bioware and EA is that this is unacceptable and that the general TOR community does not like this art direction.

The patch deployed when? This past week. Oh, and how many pages does this thread have already? ****, over 60? Damn.

Edited by Eortotai

I doubt we'll even see many minor changes. What they've shown us is what we will get on live. The work on these armors is done, so ship 'em. Especially given the massive negative feedback they are getting in this thread. It isn't tweak this or that please. It is "this stuff is crap, scrap it."

The best we can hope for is less ugly stuff in the future.

You are probably right, sadly. Unfortunately almost every class forum had similar threads once we all saw what released top end armour looked like (c3po jedi anyone?), and we hoped that the feedback would at least prevent FURTHER travesties.

Clearly, that didnt happen...

signed. for better future.

/signed

And I thought they coudln't do any worst then they did with the current armor sets and now go and do this!

This game has the worst costumes of ALL TIME. Why can't you bloody give jedi and sith ROBES that look good and like they came out of star wars.

Why must you continue to make stuff that looks like it came out of a mad max

Well, actually, the game has lots of great costumes. The problem is the NPCs get them and they aren't available to players.

Now, I don't see any lore issues with these new costumes - it's a big galaxy, pretty much anything imaginable should exist somewhere, tucked away in a long forgotten corner.

The problem is the developers seem wedded to an old fashioned idea of costume progression, from the plain to the increasingly exotic.

I haven't met ANY players who think this adds anything to the game. NOT ONE.

What players want is to play dress-up. If a progression is needed, it should be from a smaller number of dress-up options to a greater number of dress-up options.

This is what the developers should do:

1) Release this next tier of gear in the form of mods;

2) Use these exotic costumes as rare item quests, like the Magenta crystal;

3) Concentrate on making all EXISTING costumes available to players as orange schematics, some with high Level, Social or Alignment requirements (but very loose class requirements, many jedi wear regular street clothes) .

Edited by FrostyDroid

Well, actually, the game has lots of great costumes. The problem is the NPCs get them and they aren't available to players.....

3) Concentrate on making all EXISTING costumes available to players as orange schematics, some with high Level, Social or Alignment requirements (but very loose class requirements, many jedi wear regular street clothes) .

This would be fab alot of outfits in games worn by npcs should be avalible to players to, as well as ALL the current/green , blue, outfits being an orange schematic some where.

For example, There is a L15 white jedi robe (Garmaurion something or another , i think) out there but i be darned if i can find a moddable version of it. Granted i can find brown, black , tan, chocoalte colours of it moddable but no white one, and the white one is the one id love to see.

So yes be nice if ALL the armour, all levels had moddable versions avalible some where in game be it social or a drop, or crafted, ideally crafters in game shgould be able to craft any of the armours.

Hope we get more armour in the coming updates and also hope we get options to hide hoods on some of the armours as well as hiding companions hoods. Also this moddable armour should be more avalible to the companions to.

If cant do this then maybe ditch mod armour and give us an apearance tab that we can get the look we want.

Excellent post sir!

/sign

A couple more endgame Knight armor inspirations for the devs.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/309/b/2/experimental_jedi_armor_by_imzadialpha-d3292al.jpg

http://www.testq.com/nfs/testq/photos/0001/5205/Cyborg_ninja-lados_3_views.jpg

This is the sort of design quality and combat functionality I would like to see in endgame armor sets.

Edited by ELECTRICJUDGMENT

Signed!!

Holy...

Out of the lot I'd say only Sage PvE looks actually good or at least decent. The rest is either generic, uninspired or downright bad.

Though I would actually prefer this Sorc PvP gear over the current one, but that's choosing the one that is less bad.

http://fingersonbuttons.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/juggernaut.jpg <- Helloooo? Where did this gear go? Give it back, pronto.

Indeed, that gear is actually part of the reason I started playing Sith Jugg. A friggin' walking machine of destruction that looks like it weighs a ton. Now that is epic armor design!

Edited by Sauzer

/signed

if you didn't know this was swtor armor, there would be no way to tell by looking at it, except maybe the trooper.

Whats up with the random pieces of metal slapped on the wrists and so on? and the M.C. Hammer pants the Sage has. Im a sage or at least i am till 1.2 nerf, and I will NOT be wearing that.

Who slapped their big stamp of approval on these drawings when they saw this???

signed. for better future.

I think the fact that these are also shown on the smallest body type is also an awful idea...

That being said, I've so been looking for armour that looks like the stuff we've been watching for months in the character progression videos...

My Knight so wants that look... Especially the hood down look that is always shown in the teaser vids...

Please? Pretty please...