Community Q&A – March 16th 2012 Blog Discussion

JovethGonzalez

I would very much like character customization - paid, Legacy unlocked, whatever.

But I don't personally care about making some in-game "Barber Shop" where you walk in and do it, like that other game. What matters is being able to open the appearance UI. I'm happy to do it from the character select screen and not in-game at all. If dropping all that extra art and NPC interaction speeds the feature along, by all means drop it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we really need an answer to "will you add another quickslot" ?

Is that the most pressing matter ? No concerns about server population or engine optimization ?

I could surely use another quickslot AFTER the game stops running like total crap in PvP though.

Dont worry , they will not be adding that quickslot in 1.2 patch. And here i thought at least something is done right. They said they are releasing it in 1.2 , its even in their preview video.

Whats the point of rescaling and unlocking quickslot bars if all we get is the same 2 at the buttom.

Bioware u should name your game Vanguard Saga of Heroes in Space. Another great game with gigantic potential fails hard because of incompetent developers who dont listen to the community. Not even an extra quickslot , really?

Why would they answer questions that they ALREADY DID at the guild summit.

What a waste of time.

This...

The majority of the questions they picked were covered in the guild summit. Answer some real questions related to server merges, low pop. You keep avoiding it.

...This...

I'm sorry but this Q&A is absolutely terrible. Very little actual useful content as to what is coming.. there have been so many great questions asked and these are what we got to see? Highly disappointing.

...and this..

Hello? Dev's? Do you read these feedback posts?

If so, please send your carrier pigeons, or whatever slow form of communication you use, to your higher authority(s) so they can address these matters.

Yours truly,

A person paying you to do your job.

I never want another crewskill pop-up window to hijack my UI, not in WZ's, not ANYWHERE!

From the response, it seems that outside of WZ's we will still be harassed by this menace in some capacity.

This is troubling to me.

THIS, i hope to get theres the ability to disable the pop ups EVERYWHERE, not just warzones. In fact i would go as far to say warzones are one of the least annoying places for them to pop up for me. Its far more annoying while browsing the GTN (this is probs the #1 for me), looking through ur cargo, looking at a planets map, reading the codex, or doing various other tasks involving looking at 2 (or 1 large) UI element only to have it close on you interrupting what you were doing.

I am quite dissapointed about the fact that there will not be a barbershop added in 1.2, and who knows how far off it will be.

This is one of the features I really feel I need to have ASAP. Especially in light of the new character customization freedoms we will have with the legacy system. My main character is a Twilek, and I had to select a skin color that wasn't my first choice. The color I wanted to use for my character, and HAD on the same character during beta, was removed from the faction entirely, and is only currently available on the other side. This was very frustrating, and if the legacy system is finally going to open up that particular color, I want to be able to change my main character's appearance right away.

But that's my most pressing need for a barber shop. There are other cases where I would like to tweak the appearances of my characters, and that's simply impossible right now.

Agreed with this as well. Character customisation and the ability to create a character you're truely happy with (as you will be playing it for weeks, months, or even years), aswell as having it distinguished from other players in the game, is one of the most important parts of an MMO imo. If the opposite faction's customisations are now opening up through legacy then a barber shop is more needed than ever. Also to add to that, as everyone knows, the character customisation is attrocious and needs some additions desperately.

It’s something we had in testing but took out as it lead to a majority of players not spending any commendations and just uptrading them, which defeats the purpose of the commendation system. I can see us re-opening this topic a while down the road, maybe in context of discussing something like the much requested Legacy Bank.

You mean "led."

(I proof edit for a living)

He answered it in a different question in the Q&A. Thanks for your stellar reading comprehension.

Excuse me? Where does he answer if we'll have to delete the characters that are level 50 already to re-create what we want? You know, the question at hand? What I stressed?

Instead, we get another "soon.tm" and wall of crazy BS on a barber shop. This patch is supposed to be about the Legacy Feature. A feature that unlocks class species/character customization. Although the barber shop and what the FIRST QUESTION asked is somewhat the same, it's in different areas of the game. One is within the game as a feature and the other is at the character creation screen. Two completely separate areas. The fact that it's not on the high priority list is laughable and completely goes to show that Bioware has not cared about the character creation process. Everyone will simply have to wait.

An answer to the question would've been:

Q: Do we have to delete our level 50 characters to take advantage of the legacy unlocks coming in 1.2?

A: No, you do not have to delete your level 50 characters, HOWEVER, the feature to apply the new unlockable species // customizations to your characters will not be implemented in this patch. There is also no rough estimate of when it will be available. We apologize for this inconvenience but are working as fast as we can to allow the recreation of your already level 50 character.

Dear George. If you're going to answer a question from the Q/A please answer the entirety of it. Especially this one which is weighing heavy on ANY PLAYERS MIND that has leveled alts while waiting for 1.2 (instead of quitting the game.)

Ziko: Already having 8 characters on my server...will I be forced to delete characters in order to take advantage of the Legacy system or will I be able to change race & new Legacy customization features on pre-existing characters and will there be more character slots added?

Georg Zoeller (Principal Lead Combat Designer): We have heard at the Guild Summit that there's interest in being able to acquire additional character slots on the servers. We are in the process of determining the requirements for such a step and will update the community when such a feature has moved past the planning state.

Please answer the first part of the question that is entirely more important than adding additional slots which you don't even know if you're going to do or not.

There are plenty of us that do not want to have to delete our characters that we got to 50 because your character options/customization was so limited to begin with. (If you say it's not limited, I'd suggest going back to how many threads were on the beta forums about Character creation.)

Yeah this is what happens when they have a stupid Q&A weekly session, the devs are just friggin too lazy to come on the forums like Blizzard. I mean last week a Dev came on the forum and answered about 10 questions and they made such a big deal about it, actually giving a write up about how this dev answered 10 whole questions, saying he blew himself out on the forums. I hadloads of conversations with devs on Blizzards forums, they had special class devs that just hung around on the class forums answering your questions, proper customer services. SWTOR it's like US and THEM, they make you want to leave the game.

i agree, patch 1.2 is huge and i'm very happy with it, however, some features you're reffering to be further along in queue, i think you're being silly, because those should be implemented day 1.

guild banks - come on, it's a well known feature in almost all mmos out there (even those free to play ones).

plus, i know you want to hype every single update you're planing but most of those things you mention, can be implemented easly with minimum usefulness at least, but still right away. i mean barber shop, this feature can be even implemented as you reach level 50 and just make a quick reappearance change feature, because frankly, this is how it goes - you create a character, and you are very pleased with it for 20-30 levels and then, you see some other character in-game and get so bored with your look you either roll another character and skip almost whole story just to get to the place where your old character was. i know it's what you want since that person will have to spend more time in your game, so he/she will pay extra for monthly fee, i know it's good for your business but it's really good only in short run. people notice if you want to just lenghten their payment period nowadays, it's all most publishers do these days. if you don't want people changing their appearance all the time, why not just make a system you already have implemented - respec feature. each time you change appearance you'll have to pay more and once a month this fee resets.

for all other things, i'm pretty excited to see what happens next in the galaxy :) i love that you took rakghoul desease even further. i understand people complaining that it's a minor problem (yea, uncurable desease spreading over the galaxy.. no problem right?) but it's really a fault of their own. they simply didnt follow star wars story all the way. i've seen many complaints from my friends about the game being boring and i asked them why. they respondes - well, taris is full of some strange ghouls for example, it's boring, tatooine is a dead planet and other planets are even more boring. and that's because they haven't followed story from original movies i guess. seeing tatooine, wondering if you'd find anything related to luke or anakin, exciting. and taris, place where revan landed after loosing his/her memory, place destroyed by malak centuries ago.

i think it's simply matter of understanding the saga what makes swtor fun to play.

I am quite dissapointed about the fact that there will not be a barbershop added in 1.2, and who knows how far off it will be.

This is one of the features I really feel I need to have ASAP. Especially in light of the new character customization freedoms we will have with the legacy system. My main character is a Twilek, and I had to select a skin color that wasn't my first choice. The color I wanted to use for my character, and HAD on the same character during beta, was removed from the faction entirely, and is only currently available on the other side. This was very frustrating, and if the legacy system is finally going to open up that particular color, I want to be able to change my main character's appearance right away.

But that's my most pressing need for a barber shop. There are other cases where I would like to tweak the appearances of my characters, and that's simply impossible right now.

I completely agree, though for different reasons.

As a Sith Inquisitor (human), I was unable to give my character the scars or tattoos I wanted, because Inquisitors were offered neither, and were instead given those hideous slave brands.

It boggles my mind that so many people think they are going to get "server merge" responses 3 months after launch.

When you've invested a lot into a character that rarely has an opportunity to do any group content because you're on a dead server it becomes an extremely important issue. Right now it's basically why I don't play anymore.

"Georg Zoeller (Principal Lead Combat Designer): We have heard at the Guild Summit that there's interest in being able to acquire additional character slots on the servers. We are in the process of determining the requirements for such a step and will update the community when such a feature has moved past the planning state."

Seriously Mr. Zoeller? You needed the Guild Summit to figure that out?

Extremely sad "Barbershops" are in the back burner. Good to know it's in the radar but - it's not something I'd be willing to wait more than a couple more months for - and that answer makes me think a year out or more.

The little and basic customization options available almost demand we be able to tweak them over time but. The answer at least gives me peace of mind at shelving away my Shadow. After having put up with the most boring storyline for Chapters 1 and 2 to get to level 40 I'm not gonna keep working on something I now hate to look at another 10 levels and into endgame.

They really should realize how important character re-customization (the real deal - a barbershop - not hue to chest) is for player retention. It helps form an attachment with characters whose look they refine until they're happy with them.

It really is more important than they seem to realize.

"Barbershops" are probably the most boring and unnecessary feature ever, besides changing color of the on/off switch of lightsabers.

Makes me wonder how these kind of nitpicky requests get answered when the big questions about future game design are ignored.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

I am glad to see I am not the only one dissapointed about the lack of a 'barbershop'.

One big reason for it is to allow players to advance their character's appearance over time. For example, in the Jedi Consular storyline, you advance from a basic young padawan all the way up to the ranks of the Jedi Masters later in the game. The same can be said about all the other storylines I have seen so far.

I would LOVE to be able to start a new character out as Body type 1, looking like a skinny teenager. Then, after finishing chapter 1, step them up to Body type 2, which is a more adult look. And then, even later in the game, as they get further into their career, maybe add some scars or tatoos.

Roleplayers especially would LOVE to have this kind of freedom. Imagine losing a bet and having to shave your head!

I really hope the devs realize what an important tool a 'barbershop' is.

I really hope the devs realize what an important tool a 'barbershop' is.

Honestly, if they didn't realize that if they add a legacy system that promotes creating alts, then they should give people the chance to make alts (and thus increase character limit per server), then what are the odds they'll realize more complicated things?

Doesn't get much simpler than:

We want you to make alts -> We let you make alts