Free transfers in the future?

Drakinor

paying for server transfers is NOT an option for me. there is little to no cost for bioware, therefore there should be no cost for me either. people have said that the cost is to refund BW for the money they spent on developing the feature. what am i paying my 15$/euros/whatever for then??? i pay BW a monthly fee to do monthly development work on the game, and to keep the servers running. pay them for a feature that (a) will probably reduce costs for them because they shut some servers down completely, and (b) other games, notably rift, which has about 200k to 300k subscribers, do this for me for free?? no, its absolutely unacceptable.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they should merge low pop servers together to help population issues. Based on populations on servers i've checked out they will need to merge 4-5 servers just to get close to the populated servers. my main server usually has 30-50 on fleet in prime time. i rolled a char on a populated server and typically see 200 on fleet.. and over 100 even during off hours.

as for transfers, those should be a fee because they aren't going to help the population issues but rather lead to overpopulation on 1 or 2 servers making even more problems for bioware and the game in general.

I think it's only going to be people who go to the asia/pacific servers, get it for free (one time).This is due to the fact they couldn't wait for official release there. Everyone else gets a kick in the balls.:(

Really hope I'm wrong on this one.:cool:

The fleet pops are never really a prob for me, it's the 3 or 4 people per planet that drive me nuts. Kinda hard to group for a 4 man if there is only 3 people on.

Here is what I do: I ask in guild chat, "Does anyone want to help me on the bonus heroics on Hoth?", and then I get a couple of people who say yes and off we go.

They should just allow 1 transfer per character to certain servers to try and cut down on the amount of empty ones and get the population together.

They had to many servers at launch and now there aren't enough players to fill them all. More people will start leaving once they see the population on their server dying. Because there is no point playing an MMO with no players.

But TBH, if they want more players they should reduce the monthly subscription cost by a significant amount. It's hard to justify what they are charging when games like Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2 will arrive soon and will be free to play (with MT's for cosmetic content).

Edited by NasherUK

I've been all over this thread in the past. I gave up. I have a level 50 Sage, and a 35 Scoundrel on Veela. I just rerolled a character on The Fatman East Coast PvP server on Saturday afternoon.

Best decision I made involving this game so far. In the starting zone there were 182 people. People from all different servers were doing the exact same thing as me. Looking for someone to play with.

I had groups and people willing to do Heroic 2 and 4 man content without ever waiting longer than 10 minutes to recruit enough people and get together and start. That is the way it should be.

All BW needs to do is take one look at what is happening on The Fatman server to realize the number 1 problem facing this game currently.

Too many servers with low population forces people to skip all the cool heroic 2 and 4 man content, and level appropriate FP's.

It is not new content.

It is not debugging old content.

It is not the lack of combat logs / meters

It is not the need for dual spec

It is not the need for LFG finder

For the first time in 2 months, I had a BLAST playing SWTOR. And it was because of 1 reason. There were people to play with.

There were 40+ servers up that said Light on Saturday. Start combining them now!

This problem is going to get worse everyday until they do. People from Light/Normal Servers are re rolling to the only HEAVY/FULL server. I did, and glad I did.

paying for server transfers is not an option for me. There is little to no cost for bioware, therefore there should be no cost for me either. People have said that the cost is to refund bw for the money they spent on developing the feature. What am i paying my 15$/euros/whatever for then??? I pay bw a monthly fee to do monthly development work on the game, and to keep the servers running. Pay them for a feature that (a) will probably reduce costs for them because they shut some servers down completely, and (b) other games, notably rift, which has about 200k to 300k subscribers, do this for me for free?? No, its absolutely unacceptable.

I agree !

What are our Monthly fees for if not to cover things that arise like this? This isn't the players faults... so don't charge us for something that should be inherent in this type of game to begin with.

There were 40+ servers up that said Light on Saturday. Start combining them now!

This problem is going to get worse everyday until they do. People from Light/Normal Servers are re rolling to the only HEAVY/FULL server. I did, and glad I did.

Agree here again!

The only problem with re-rolling is that these particular servers (Fatman for example) will eventually have too many people on them and the Queue times will be outrageous. So, do we really have to spend all our gaming time re-rolling on new servers to find one that Might have enough players on it for us to complete the content as intended?

And... why should we have to re-roll a character we already ran up on another server and do BW's job for them? This would then be the players condensing the servers for BW. I think these threads have shown the dis-satisfaction of the community way more than is needed to justify mergers/transfers.

Edited by mrgarybaldi

paying for server transfers is NOT an option for me. there is little to no cost for bioware, therefore there should be no cost for me either. people have said that the cost is to refund BW for the money they spent on developing the feature. what am i paying my 15$/euros/whatever for then??? i pay BW a monthly fee to do monthly development work on the game, and to keep the servers running. pay them for a feature that (a) will probably reduce costs for them because they shut some servers down completely, and (b) other games, notably rift, which has about 200k to 300k subscribers, do this for me for free?? no, its absolutely unacceptable.

I can see how it should be free if the intent is to a) grow the population of some dead servers; or b) if some servers are going to be shut down. But if it's for people who just want to move to servers to play with their friends or whatever, then I don't see a problem with it being a paid service. I just want it in, paid or not.

Remember when Blizzard had to give free transfers off several high pop servers to specific low pop servers? The problem here is, there just aren't enough high pop servers and overpopulation isn't really a problem. Therefore, it won't happen here.

You basically pay play with yourself. Over the last month Kinrath Spider has nose dived 12pm on a Saturday and 3 people on ilum. This game is a great RPG and crappy MMO. The story in this game is one of the best i played in along time.

Transfers don't seem like an option only good way to go is merge servers to bring populations to an expect-able limit then later on they can bring in transfers to different servers. I have 3 lvl 50's I've done FP's on my first toon only and not all of them cause it was next to impossible to find a group when people where on and now 30 people in fleet 8pm is a joke.

mine and my wife's subs will not renew after April 30th unless they fix this major problem. Shame on me for buying two collectors editions. I was robbed and Bio-ware/EA is not living up to what was promised..

Just wana say thanks for *** ****** the community and not even giving us any kiss afterwards..... Good Show...

I have cancelled my sub and told them that one of the issues is no server transfer.

I will renew if they implement it.

I suggest that everyone do the same. (You can cancel then renew after :) )

It will put some pressure.

Please discuss this

I have cancelled my sub and told them that one of the issues is no server transfer.

I will renew if they implement it.

I suggest that everyone do the same. (You can cancel then renew after :) )

It will put some pressure.

Please discuss this

sure, i'll do that too,

and tell my friends not to join this sux mmo.

I unsubbed this week. They send a survey. I told them that I really like the game but can't play on Prophecy of the Five when it takes me forever to find a group. I have other things to do with my time than to sit around in the fleet praying the right combination of people might log on.

I agree, if everybody does this, they will have to listen.

I canceled as well and am ticked off at yet another Star wars MMO going the way of the dodo. I especially love paying 15 bucks a month for a Beta quality game. 1.2 is a complete game overhaul which means the game was released not even close to finished=Beta quality. I have decided my server of Krayis Obelisk is dead beyond dead, right now even at peak times no more than 25 people in the republic fleet. So yeah the game is dying and they know it. I bet their free weekend will be miraculously the same week that 1.2 comes out. Either way I wont be back because I am sick of shoddy games and money grubbing publishers pushing games live long before they should be.

For those who unsub because they are not getting everything on a silver platter:

If you are unhappy about not finding a group, how the heck are you expecting to solve that problem if you unsub? Its not like it gets easier for everyone else when you unsub. It only makes it harder.

Many people hold this game to a standard that no mmo on the planet has or ever will live up to.

It was the same thing in THAT OTHER GAME for years when you wanted to do the "end game" dungeons there as well. Some evenings you never found any people to do stuff at all.

There is a reason why there is no dungeon tool yet in SWTOR, many many people still believe thats one of the things that ruined THAT OTHER GAME, if you disagree sure. I disagree also.

But grow the F*** up and stop acting like spoiled children.

When I dont get a group I just go play an alt or do some other SWTOR related stuff that is fun.

I have 16 different advanced classes to level up for my legacy. And Ive only done with 2 at the moment. There is still alot of stuff to be done.

"booobeeebooo... I am unsubbing... I dont get my toys! Booobeebooo"

Gimme a break...

Edited by Antissa

You basically pay play with yourself. Over the last month Kinrath Spider has nose dived 12pm on a Saturday and 3 people on ilum. This game is a great RPG and crappy MMO. The story in this game is one of the best i played in along time.

Transfers don't seem like an option only good way to go is merge servers to bring populations to an expect-able limit then later on they can bring in transfers to different servers. I have 3 lvl 50's I've done FP's on my first toon only and not all of them cause it was next to impossible to find a group when people where on and now 30 people in fleet 8pm is a joke.

mine and my wife's subs will not renew after April 30th unless they fix this major problem. Shame on me for buying two collectors editions. I was robbed and Bio-ware/EA is not living up to what was promised..

Just wana say thanks for *** ****** the community and not even giving us any kiss afterwards..... Good Show...

I'm on Kinrath Spider as well. Imperial side, and I've completed all of 3 flashpoints at 50.

Same reasons, etc.

I'm OK with being merged into another server if it meant high populations, even if it cost me my character names.

Kinrath hit standard level population last night for the first time (that I saw) in literally a week. It was crazy.

I'm not ready to unsub - unlike some people I realize it's ONLY 15 bucks and I still get at least 50 hours entertainment a week - however my gaming experience will only be better when I actually have a sizable community to play with. Antissa above echoes my general thoughts. Some of you people are impossible!

They had better give us at least one transfer for free though. I am okay with paying a second time if I change my mind again. That's not unreasonable.

Edited by islander

I canceled as well and am ticked off at yet another Star wars MMO going the way of the dodo. I especially love paying 15 bucks a month for a Beta quality game. 1.2 is a complete game overhaul which means the game was released not even close to finished=Beta quality. I have decided my server of Krayis Obelisk is dead beyond dead, right now even at peak times no more than 25 people in the republic fleet. So yeah the game is dying and they know it. I bet their free weekend will be miraculously the same week that 1.2 comes out. Either way I wont be back because I am sick of shoddy games and money grubbing publishers pushing games live long before they should be.

1.2 is what the quality of 1.0 SHOULD have been.

but you know, April isn't a good month for game releases...

I wish the Developers would give us a time frame on server transfers!

They have. You should've paid attention.

SE Asia people are 'scheduled' or should I say 'planned' to be able to transfer at the end of this month. This was mentioned by SR about a month ago. I forget specifically where.

The goal, however, is to have server transfers available to the gen pop sometime in May - depending on obviously how successful/smooth the SE Asian people's transfer process goes.

The fleet pops are never really a prob for me, it's the 3 or 4 people per planet that drive me nuts. Kinda hard to group for a 4 man if there is only 3 people on.

LOL, yes. When I rolled a new character on Ajunta Pall, I spent three nights on Ord Mantell. Each night there was between 30 and 50 people on the planet.

Coruscant? 80-120.

For those who unsub because they are not getting everything on a silver platter:

If you are unhappy about not finding a group, how the heck are you expecting to solve that problem if you unsub? Its not like it gets easier for everyone else when you unsub. It only makes it harder.

Many people hold this game to a standard that no mmo on the planet has or ever will live up to.

It was the same thing in THAT OTHER GAME for years when you wanted to do the "end game" dungeons there as well. Some evenings you never found any people to do stuff at all.

There is a reason why there is no dungeon tool yet in SWTOR, many many people still believe thats one of the things that ruined THAT OTHER GAME, if you disagree sure. I disagree also.

But grow the F*** up and stop acting like spoiled children.

When I dont get a group I just go play an alt or do some other SWTOR related stuff that is fun.

I have 16 different advanced classes to level up for my legacy. And Ive only done with 2 at the moment. There is still alot of stuff to be done.

"booobeeebooo... I am unsubbing... I dont get my toys! Booobeebooo"

Gimme a break...

its quite simple really, my lack of money filling thier pockets will hopefully turn thier heads in the direction it should have been over a month ago.

Dont tell me to grow up, who the hell do you think are you to tell anyone what they should or shouldnt do with thier money because you dont agree!?

Just because your happy or stupid enough to pay for a single player game doesnt mean the rest of us should follow suit.

Accusing us of being immature because we are making a stand against a company selling us a sub standard product is pathetic and advising us to re-roll every 2 days (have fun spazzy-clapping once the character screen is full) is just moronic!

I have tried my best to give them the time to correct the population problem, but I can only stand to get kicked up the arse a few times before I move the F! out of the way.

The only thing BW/EA understands is cash flow, when that stops or decines, well they had better fix the problem asap before it disapears completly.

Untill the server transfers come along, I wont pay a monthly sub for a single player game, and no one else should be either.

I really hope they introduce any kind of transfer in the future, I've re-rolled onto Tomb of Freedom Nad in the EU and it's night and day, 170+ players in fleet at about 11:30pm, I switched to my old server and there is 10 people :p

Having people to play with and talk to goes a long, long way to making you want to stick around in a game, they need transfers or merges NOW really.

So there's been a clear answer now, Bioware has no plans to merge servers, but there will be transfers, free? They didn't state:

There is a lot of debate in the community about server population. Any insight on how you guys feel about the population distribution?

JO: We always take feedback from the community and from all kinds of different sources like our telemetry metrics, and take it very seriously. When we hear that from the community, we are listening. We have the plan to allow for character transfers in the future. The legacy system actually is another reason why character transfer is becoming more important. It is one of our biggest priorities right now; that and group finder are essentially are biggest priorities coming in the near future after Update 1.2.

Is there any discussion of merging servers or adding incentives to move players to low pop servers?

JO: No, we’re not going to. Merging servers is not something we are looking at. We have a very healthy game right now, so that is not something we are looking at in the near future. We're always going to look at ways to make sure a server is healthy. There are a whole bunch of different ways you can do that. We're discussing them. We want to make sure players feel like there are enough players on their server to play with.

Source: http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/20070-pax-east-2012-interview-with-james-ohlen-and

I'm not sure how having under 150 Republic players online on the entire server at peak times can be considered healthy. More and more people are leaving or quitting from my server, what I want to know is, how is this going to be fixed? When transfers come, either a load of people are going to transfer to my server (why would they potentially condemn themselves though? It's dead), or some of the few remaining people will transfer off, only exacerbating the problem.

I'm not bothered how server populations are or aren't doing, but more wanting a clarification on what exactly the plans are to help servers like mine (Niman). The answer given was a non answer "There a whole bunch of different ways you can do that." - Like what, exactly? I would love to know what the plans are. I ask this because my friends and I have put a lot of time into our characters on our server, we don't want to abandon them, so we've been waiting, hoping for news. This has crushed my hope.

If the transfers don't cost, then it's not too bad, but it will still lead to a lot of servers getting a whole lot quieter. If they do cost, then likely it is something we won't be able to do - it's more likely my friends will just give up playing than have to pay to move to another server.

What hope can we have now? I like this game, I want to be able to enjoy it, but it seems Bioware really don't want to make that easy. :/