Who is EA/Bioware's "Target Market"???

Krisskar

The target audience was the MMO mainstream market with something for the casual and harcore markets. the problem is they made and delivered a single player game with online co op features. Its not a game for me in its current state .i want a true MMO Like WOW , EQ2, Rift and even AOC for that matter. this more like a bucnh of single player lvls linked together

---yes a single player game 98%

---there's a whole demographic out there that likes "social" aspects of mmorpgs, things like SWG player cities, or a better crafting economy where players NEED crafted items. Will this demographic ever be recognized?

--another demographic ignored currently is those who want space PVP. Space is a big turn on to many many peeps.

--and speaking of space, maybe free flying space quests? If you could have a great stand alone game back in the 1990's on ancient technology computers (TIE FIGHTER) you would think something like that could be worked into a mmorpg.

i agree with those 3... almost everyone I've encountered playing SWTOR is a BioWare fan...i.e. BioWare seems to have attracted people who already idolise them... hence the amount of retaliation people face on the forums whenever someone criticises the game.

edit: i.e. most of these players come from single-player games.. cf Battle.net

I think alot of critiques of the game would not be attacked if, during the critique the poster didn't also use the word "fanboi", "Biodrone", etc ... Your post for example automatically puts anyone that likes the game on the defensive because you say "it attracted people that already idolized them" .. I also think if the critiques also did not contain things saying "F2P", "Dying", etc ... would also help ..

Most of those 'critiques' you refer to on these forums that are attacked usually have some negative quality to them basically daring anyone to disagree with the OP and, if someone does, they are labeled and attacked ...

Sadly, this is standard forum etiquette for almost every MMO out there (check out WoW's forums, they are just as bad as these, depending on if there has been a content patch, they get even worse) ...

I think alot of critiques of the game would not be attacked if, during the critique the poster didn't also use the word "fanboi", "Biodrone", etc ... Your post for example automatically puts anyone that likes the game on the defensive because you say "it attracted people that already idolized them" .. I also think if the critiques also did not contain things saying "F2P", "Dying", etc ... would also help ..

Most of those 'critiques' you refer to on these forums that are attacked usually have some negative quality to them basically daring anyone to disagree with the OP and, if someone does, they are labeled and attacked ...

Sadly, this is standard forum etiquette for almost every MMO out there (check out WoW's forums, they are just as bad as these, depending on if there has been a content patch, they get even worse) ...

Most wise. I think this is how most of the community in gaming is like 'You are with us or against us' and labeling players over that does not help at all.

I like them post...''I play mmorpgs since Jesus Christ walk the earth blah blah blah and my opnion is that this game '+/-' .....'' And after they put the name of them games and what rank etc like war medals... and who ever dares to challenge thier belief or point of view is bash down with some ideas that not even Nietzsche could come up with.

What type of customers this game is addressing for sure those that enjoy a bit of a more story than the old fashion grinding and not really has to be 'biodrone'.

Edited by Phenyr

--sure wish marketing would give us an answer to this question: Who is Ea/Bioware's target market for swtor??

--Really, what are the desired demographic group(s) here?

I have a guess.....what do you think?

a) must have money to spend, or someone's money to spend

b) probably not a big time video console player (eg Halo et al)

c) wants faster leveling and easier quests than WOW

d) not particularly interested in any social aspects...occasional pugs for instances maybe

e) not big on playing with their RL buddies.

so....who are these people???

One of the big shifts in gaming is that the developers want to be able to play their own game (at least with something like this). If you can't find time to work and play the game you made, either your company is working you too much (EA spouse anyone?) or your game requires too much investment. You also want to make sure that the people playing your game aren't going to flame out at work because they were up all night gaming. People who don't have jobs can't pay you 15 bucks a month, and if you can't play the game while rasing your kids this isn't going to last with millions of subs. Yes, EQ was harder, but only had half a million players at most. Give people enough to do that they can enjoy themselves, not so much that they become like gambling addicts.

PC games aren't aimed at the console market. Different market segments, and MMO's especially don't lend themselves to consoles. There are business, technical, and player driven reasons for that.

c) Everything is much easier the second time through. That applies as much to WoW as SWTOR. Even WoW has followed the same route. Leveling is a tutorial for the actual game, and a chance to tell a story. Everyone in the MMO business does the 'tutorial' part badly, for a lot of reasons, but BioWare emphasized the story part.

d) Er... social points, 4 mans, super casual 8 person raids aren't social? Sure, there are a lot of convenience tools, such as multi specs and a in server dungeon finder, they should have in for launch, er.. should have had in for launch I'm sorry, but they have group content there.

They haven't really appealed to the world firsts hardcore e-peen crowd. No meters, basically simplistic fights (that rely on high dps but with no way of showing it off particularly), and no way to highlight world or server firsts and that sort of nonsense.

They seem to be aiming for people with jobs, who like star wars and want something like WoW, but less polished, with less pandas, and people who generally think that WOTLK 'worked' and there was no point in changing it. They were of course horribly horribly wrong on that last point, and they're getting the clue. There are a lot of good game design and HCI things they could be doing (on convenience features, on UI layout, on encounter design etc.) that are both different and better than WoW, that would give them a different style with a similar core concept. But they'll take a while to grow into that. Right now they're still nipping at heels.

^this point I completely disagree with. I could easily start my WoW acct back up go to a fresh realm and out-level any character class in swtor to 50. Probably could hit 70 or beyond in the same amount of time it takes 50 here.

There is no easier leveling than WoW single player or not.

They seem to be aiming for people with jobs, who like star wars and want something like WoW, but less polished, with less pandas, and people who generally think that WOTLK 'worked' and there was no point in changing it.

^ = 100k subs and shrinking..

Like you said bad mistake, but it's not too late to make it good.

Target market should be all of the MMO market. It's not that hard to give the hardcore MMO players and casual players a fun game. Given them what is to be expected of a successful mmo and it will thrive. Leave out key features that make MMO gamers rage and you get a second best.. I am sure BW wanted this game to lead not follow, so I do not understand why they refuse to add the things that appeal to all mmo fans like LFG, guild banks, macros, and cross serve WZ to say the least. I don't feel bad for BW, they did this to themselves, and it's not too late for them to turn it around. Quest that have been broken since Beta “Protect the Shipment” on Ilum, not being able to add offline friends to a friends list, and crappy UIs that you can’t adjust with a game that was in dev for 4 years will not win you a lead spot in the market of MMOs at release. If you want to lead in the MMO market you must raise the bar, and give hardcore MMO people what they expect, and casual gamers what they have not experienced. Doing this will win hardcore and casual players hands down.

Edited by Noviru
removing rude

c) Everything is much easier the second time through. That applies as much to WoW as SWTOR. Even WoW has followed the same route. Leveling is a tutorial for the actual game, and a chance to tell a story. Everyone in the MMO business does the 'tutorial' part badly, for a lot of reasons, but BioWare emphasized the story part.

No, leveling is part of the game, not a tutorial.

^this point I completely disagree with. I could easily start my WoW acct back up go to a fresh realm and out-level any character class in swtor to 50. Probably could hit 70 or beyond in the same amount of time it takes 50 here.

There is no easier leveling than WoW single player or not.

Because both this game and WOW are both too carebear, linear, and boring.

^ = 100k subs and shrinking..

Like you said bad mistake, but it's not too late to make it good.

Target market should be all of the MMO market. It's not that hard to give the hardcore MMO players and casual players a fun game. Given them what is to be expected of a successful mmo and it will thrive. Leave out key features that make MMO gamers rage and you get a second best.. I am sure BW wanted this game to lead not follow, so I do not understand why they refuse to add the things that appeal to all mmo fans like LFG, guild banks, macros, and cross serve WZ to say the least. I don't feel bad for BW, they did this to themselves, and it's not too late for them to turn it around. Quest that have been broken since Beta “Protect the Shipment” on Ilum, not being able to add offline friends to a friends list, and crappy UIs that you can’t adjust with a game that was in dev for 4 years will not win you a lead spot in the market of MMOs at release. If you want to lead in the MMO market you must raise the bar, and give hardcore MMO people what they expect, and casual gamers what they have not experienced. Doing this will win hardcore and casual players hands down.

You said it best . :D

ty and I just got a warning for "attacking comments" for posting this... BW I apologize if my post was taken as “attacking”, just pointing out the facts. Because I care about this title and I care because I pay and enjoy it. I just want the game to excel and keep me entertained for the long run.

--sure wish marketing would give us an answer to this question: Who is Ea/Bioware's target market for swtor??

--Really, what are the desired demographic group(s) here?

I have a guess.....what do you think?

a) must have money to spend, or someone's money to spend

b) probably not a big time video console player (eg Halo et al)

d) not particularly interested in any social aspects...occasional pugs for instances maybe

e) not big on playing with their RL buddies.

so....who are these people???

Probably the same people that are friends with your mom and dad....oh, and they don't take design decisions in the game personally because it's, you know...just a game.

It's a fun game too! :D

IMO, their target market simply consists of "as many people as possible".

They wanted to grab people from WoW, they wanted Star Wars fans, they wanted fans of their games.

They don't seem to really aim for hardcore MMOers, though they would be nice to have as they can form a good core for the community and provide useful feedback if they're actually elite players and not just elitist.

Just my opinion - could be wrong.

starwars fans that never played a MMO.

That is it. It definately is not MMO Fans, or PVP Fans, or Gamer Fans.

- I hate Star Wars (its a pretty one dimensional ****** story)

- I love gaming (pac man onward)

- I love MMOs (have since back during text days)

- I love PvP (started to get into it back in Shadowbane)

- I am enjoying the hell out of SWTOR

IMO, their target market simply consists of "as many people as possible".

They wanted to grab people from WoW, they wanted Star Wars fans, they wanted fans of their games.

They don't seem to really aim for hardcore MMOers, though they would be nice to have as they can form a good core for the community and provide useful feedback if they're actually elite players and not just elitist.

Just my opinion - could be wrong.

This, I suspect is much of the problem on these forums. "Hardcore" MMOers are not pleased with this game, and my hope is that they never will be as it that means it will be made inaccessible to the rest.

Edited by SWImara