POLL: TOR or KotOR 3

dnomz

With today's knowledge, which game would you rather have seen? TOR or KotOR 3?

I don't want to hear the stupid comment that TOR = KotOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 , 9 and 10 only because there's 8 classes with each their own storyline - I'll explain why later.

For me personally, i've always said KotOR 3 before TOR.

Why?

Bioware is renowned for their amazing RPG games. KotOR had it all: an amazing story, amazing characters with a nice background and stories you could listen hours to without getting bored, amazing music, great options for you to choose whether to go dark or light in the end changing the entire story, etc.

KotOR 1 by Bioware was a flat out 10/10 for me.

We all saw what WoW did to the Warcraft franchise. Warcraft was one of the best (if not the best) RTS games out there. Then this MMO called WoW came by and in a few years it managed to completely kill off any main character from it's RTS Warcraft III. Not to mention that there's no talks whatsoever about a Warcraft IV which fans have been waiting on for more than 10 years now.

So it's either one or the other.

To me, TOR doesn't have any of the quality KotOR had. No amazing stories because in Act 1 and 2 you are fighting nobodies, and in Act 3 everything goes so fast that it's kind of unbelievable that you suddenly did so much in a short period of time (at least for my Jedi Knight). The companions are nowhere near awesome, in fact they are annoying the crap out of me and I don't want to hear them. Music? There are some nice tracks... but most is ripped from KotOR or the movies, and the ones I like the most are the KotOR ones. Light/Dark points really useless in this game apart from some item restrictions and some shriveled up face (as dark). They should've made Dark Jedi get the Dark Side powers, and vice versa. That might have kept this game balanced too in terms of players on each side. I even found myself rolling a Sith Inquisitor because I wanted to use Lightning, even though I normally swear loyalty to one faction.

--

Summing it up before I get TL;DR comments: I would've prefered it so much more if BW just sticked to what they do best.... make an RPG. This MMO got all of their RPG elements in it but all of them are half-assed... it's nowhere near perfection that KotOR had.

What about you?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the Jedi Knight story. Don't get me wrong I loved both KOTOR games. But I love tor too.

Well i've only played a Jedi Knight up to 50 and I can tell you it's pathetic compared to KotOR stories.

As I said, what did you really do in Act 1 and 2? Half of the times, I couldn't even remember anymore who the bad guy was they just mentioned. Oh I killed someone's relative? Who was that then? :confused:

Act 3 is where all the action starts. Let's not spoil it for other people by saying what it's about, but really everything is so fast and rushed that it doesn't have much impact on you. I was just 'meh' at the end.

In KotOR, my jaw dropped on the floor when Darth Malak told me i'm Revan. Some people saw it coming but hey, I was 14 back then and i'm glad I didn't. One of the best gaming memories.

What made my jaw drop on the floor in TOR? Only one thing: Maelstrom Prison. And why? Revan. In other words, they needed KotOR yet again to make some impact on me.

TOR itself is 'meh' on all aspects.

Have you guys played KotOR?

If you didn't there's no point replying.

If you did, state why you'd pick TOR over KotOR.

I haven't played KotOR 1 or 2. I sure wouldn't have picked up 3.

So even if there is no point in replying I would have to say SWtoR.

When they announced that they were making the next kotor installment as a mmo. My dream came true. My favorite rpg mixed with favorite type of game.

TOR hands down.

Agree 100% And at the OP, why call it a poll when you challenge everyone that disagree's with you. Seriously, just call it what it is, a reason to argue with others about why your opinion is superior.

TOR is both KOTOR 3 and KOTOR Online.

You better get used to that, nothing is gonna change it. There would be no point, now that the story continued. They left some grand years to make a KOTOR 3 at a later date, but its gonna suffer from the same problem the prequal movies did. You already know how its gonna end up, so you're just gonna focus on the bad things.

No, he's right, you will argue your point with anyone who disagrees ( i agree with you fyi ).

So, to be fair, it's not really a poll at all.

I haven't really argued at all so far because no one explained their reason for picking TOR above KotOR 3, what's there to argue about? :rolleyes:

I only argued so far with the person who claimed the Jedi Knight story was really awesome and could have been the KotOR 3 story. If you played KotOR as much as me you'd know that theres zero chance that could've become a story in KotOR 3 because it's simply not enough.

People are free to argue with my points too though. But they simply can't.

I haven't really argued at all so far because no one explained their reason for picking TOR above KotOR 3, what's there to argue about? :rolleyes:

I only argued so far with the person who claimed the Jedi Knight story was really awesome and could have been the KotOR 3 story. If you played KotOR as much as me you'd know that theres zero chance that could've become a story in KotOR 3 because it's simply not enough.

People are free to argue with my points too though. But they simply can't.

If you go storywise, yeah there is no single story arch in SWTOR that outshines KOTOR story at all. In that i agree. I think being an MMO has its advantages an disavantages on this.

being an MMO wel its other genre you play mostly because other ppl, are in it. belive it or not in most mmos story comes second, if not last. But TOR is diferent in that aspect, but in order to fufil game mechanics demands all stories folow a patern, and not only that no matter what you chose the end will be the same...

in KOTOr isnt like that at all. In fact the games that come out lately from bioware they all lost the choice factor. I dont know why. since DA2, no matter what you do it wont matter it will chance nothing.

At least in KOTOR the diferences were there, you would lose companions, you would kill then actualy, you would resume the title of darth revan, and take control of the star forge and comand infinite armies and armadas, were in the light side choice totaly diferent scenario.

Now that i think about it Kotor 2 is the same no choice what so ever that matters. :eek:

In none of the story archs of tOR you will ever lose companions, you wont ever have diferent endings. anyway, im happy with SWTOR, i realy do, but story wise, i think they are interesting to folow.. but thats it, only interesting. KOTOR is a masterpiece. and off cours eit has more imersion, and more story focused.. after all is a single player game. TOR for all intends it is not.

Another thing that is worth mentioning is probably KOTOR has better graphics then tor. :p at least the characters arent cartoons.

I dont mind, but the design seens diferent. I would like TOR to be more like KOTOR in gear and looks design, then at is now, for instance swtor doenst seen like Old republic at all, its too much a like the SW we know from the movies . BUt still i understand why this is the way it is, and im ok with it. But i hoped to be diferent, like the KOTORs were. when vibroswords would realy look like... swords.. and not sticks, and the armors looked like from a old star wars setting and not from the ones we are used to.

Just saying i would still like a full single player KOTOR 3 or something, with more substance in story line and personal imersion, just like the mass effect games or DA origins, but in the old republic setting.

But i recon that wont ever be happening.

Edited by Spartanik

Kotor 3, because:

More involved and dramatic story, something which is hard to achieve in a MMO. Even if this game managed to achieve a level of storyteling pratically unheard off in a MMO, a single player game wouldn't have to deal with MMO issues.

For example, how many times did the story lost its feeling of urgency, when right after a class quest you get some irrelevant side quest that only makes you waste time?

No subscription. In other words, the ability to replay the game time and time again, as it happened with so many of Bioware's games, without having to pay for it.

No being locked off of content because I'm unable to find people to play with me.

No gear grinding.

Certain advantages that came with the transformation in a MMO, such as fairly wide open worlds and multiplayer gameplay could have easily been achieved in a single player game. See games such as Diablo for the multiplayer aspect, and games such as Elder Scrolls for the open world.

But, what about the money? Wouldn't a single player Kotor game be less lucrative?

Well, a single player game would probably cost alot less to develop. Also it would be available for console users. Futhermore, with the expanding DLC industry, it's safe to say that the game would still give money after people were done with the single player campaign.

It's not hard to imagine the Ilum storyline, including the flashpoints, as an AAA 10$ DLC like Lair of the Shadow Broker for Mass Effect 2, with Directive 7 and Kaon being 7$ ones.

Though it is pointless to discuss this now, I think...

TOR, no contest.

I get to play as J'mann Seelo: Bounty Hunter rather than Revan or The Exile or whatever other crap Jedi is forced on me. The story feels as if it's my own rather than somebody else's.

I get constantly updated content, rather than just one and done.

I have the option to group or solo as I please.

Kotor was fun but far too limiting. For my tastes TOR is superior in practically every conceivable way.

We all saw what WoW did to the Warcraft franchise. Warcraft was one of the best (if not the best) RTS games out there. Then this MMO called WoW came by and in a few years it managed to completely kill off any main character from it's RTS Warcraft III.

Man, I must be playing a different WoW. So how do they kill off Thrall, Jaina, and Sylvannas in your WoW?

I disagree with many of your issues stated and feel TOR has provided, and will continue to provide a better game than we would have ever gotten from KOTOR 3.

well i loved kotor 1 and 2 and have enjoyed the 1-50 aspect of tor

however a lot of lore was broke in order to shoot for balanced game play

which doesn't matter when lucas himself takes giant dumps on canon

great games leave u wanting more

when you have a mmo that never ends its hard to really fairly compare