Charge - A staple of the class

Leoness

Jet Charge should, in my humble opinion, be a staple of the Powertech class and not a talent choice on the tanking tree.

Please state your opinions regarding this, and if it would be viable in terms of balance or what would need reworking in order to make it so.

I already know for certain it would make playing the class a whole lot more enjoyable.

Kind Regards

4/6/31 Powertech

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've been told in beta Jet Charge was further down in the Shield Tech tree so DPS specs could get it more easily. The problem was that it allowed people to spec so they had both Jet Charge and Hydraulic Overrides and it was pretty OP in PvP situations. Thus they moved Jet Charge further up the ST tree. So giving Jet Charge to all PTs just brings back that problem. Edited by MaxDeeps

PT, contrary to the Warrior, has ranged attack to open. A charge is then less of a necessity and more of a nicety.

For tank, its an opener, a bit more needed to quickly close in on targets, and avoid "pistol walking" to keep the threat on a mob.

Jet Charge should, in my humble opinion, be a staple of the Powertech class and not a talent choice on the tanking tree.

Please state your opinions regarding this, and if it would be viable in terms of balance or what would need reworking in order to make it so.

I already know for certain it would make playing the class a whole lot more enjoyable.

Kind Regards

4/6/31 Powertech

/signed

PT, contrary to the Warrior, has ranged attack to open. A charge is then less of a necessity and more of a nicety.

For tank, its an opener, a bit more needed to quickly close in on targets, and avoid "pistol walking" to keep the threat on a mob.

Saber Throw

Instant

Cooldown: 30s

Range: 30 m

Throws the main-hand lightsaber at a distant target, inflicting 1241 - 1501 damage and building 3 rage.

Pyrotechs don't need it, nor should they get it.

PTs are not a pure melee class, that is why Jet Charge isn't a staple. If I really wanted to I can tank from 30m, albeit not as effectively as from melee but something other tank classes cannot do.

Pyrotechs don't need it, nor should they get it.

PTs are not a pure melee class, that is why Jet Charge isn't a staple. If I really wanted to I can tank from 30m, albeit not as effectively as from melee but something other tank classes cannot do.

Unless you are Pyro with TD, you really have hardly any ranged capabilities and not sure why people fall back on that for the class. We are, a melee class. All "Melees" have ranged abilities, every single one of some aspect.

What separates Ranged from Melee though is Melee have to be within 10-4m to be effective. Ranged can make full use of their abilities at 30M+

Saber Throw

Instant

Cooldown: 30s

Range: 30 m

Throws the main-hand lightsaber at a distant target, inflicting 1241 - 1501 damage and building 3 rage.

I said warrior. Not only jug.

But congratulations on your one ranged attack on a 30sec cooldown. I'm sure you are a boss at range.

What are you doing btw while walking toward the enemy once that lightstick get thrown? You surely have tons of other 30m attack to fill in!!!

Ah no? So Charge is needed in order to have no downtime? Ah well!

Much as I would love Jet Charge for my pyro tech it isn't going to happen without a redo on other abilities.

They really should have designed the trees from the ground up to include jet charge, or at least with more jet pack abilities, but they didn't so here we are.

Things could change in the future, but it would probably include some revamps.

Either swap jet charge for Grapple or move jet charge back down as a tier 3 talent.

(I can argue that Grapple is much more of a tanking tool than Jet charge)

Completely get rid of Hydraulic Overrides.

Give AP a -30% healing debuff in its place (Possibly attached to Retractable blade?), making it somewhat pvp viable.

Daydreaming. I know. :rolleyes:

Either swap jet charge for Grapple or move jet charge back down as a tier 3 talent.

Give AP a -30% healing debuff in its place (Possibly attached to Retractable blade?), making it somewhat pvp viable.

They should swap Grapple for Jet Charge, but then Op concealment would be the only MDPS with out a gap closer.

They should swap Grapple for Jet Charge, but then Op concealment would be the only MDPS with out a gap closer.

I won't bother arguing the melee part, however, you'd think stealth allow them to start the fight in melee range... Same goes for DPS sin.

The truth of the matter is PvE, You can effectively work your attacks to unleash unload at range, then as you walk to 10 m range, shoot explosive dart/railshot, and suddenly - kill it with fire!

So there is effectively little downtime with or without Jet Charge.

Unless you are Pyro with TD, you really have hardly any ranged capabilities and not sure why people fall back on that for the class. We are, a melee class. All "Melees" have ranged abilities, every single one of some aspect.

What separates Ranged from Melee though is Melee have to be within 10-4m to be effective. Ranged can make full use of their abilities at 30M+

I am a pyro without TD, and I say we are mid-ranged class, not melee. Without TD and I am still constantly in the top 3. I can have lower health than a melee coming after me, and be able to kite them within 10m range and destroy them.

As a pyro you really only need to be in melee every 9sec. As a shieldtech now that is a different story as they should be in melee more often hence they get the jet charge.

Also in response to someone else, I would never trade grapple for Jet charge. Yes Jet charge is awesome, but grapple has more utility.

...what? Hydraulic Overrides is what makes AP a great anti-ranged class. Just because you don't know how to use it doesn't mean it's not "PVP viable"

I am a pyro without TD, and I say we are mid-ranged class, not melee. Without TD and I am still constantly in the top 3. I can have lower health than a melee coming after me, and be able to kite them within 10m range and destroy them.

As a pyro you really only need to be in melee every 9sec. As a shieldtech now that is a different story as they should be in melee more often hence they get the jet charge.

Also in response to someone else, I would never trade grapple for Jet charge. Yes Jet charge is awesome, but grapple has more utility.

Only issue I can see is if you are in a party as the DPS, tank prolly don't like you using it.

But as a PT tank, if mine is on CD and you use yours to prevent some mob to run to another group, I'll gladly get threat off you and say gg.

Edited by verfallen

As this seems to be a constant subject of debate, I will quote myself again from an older thread.

The problem was...

way back in beta jet charge was lower in the pt tree and was obtainable early.. this gave rise to a few hybrid builds in PvP that were so overtly OP that the skill trees were redone to place jet charge higher in the ST tree to prevent it and Hydraulic overrides from being used by 1 build, as well as a few other skills that were moved up trees. So you can ask but I can with almost absolute certainty that this will not be changed at all.

for what it was worth the QQ flowed greatly the day it was changed.

Edited by Kavell

Grapple baseline > Jet Charge baseline. You will regret it if you think trading it would be a good idea. I don't see them changing it anytime soon and it's good that they do. Otherwise why in the world would you even go Shield? (PvP wise)

I won't bother arguing the melee part, however, you'd think stealth allow them to start the fight in melee range... Same goes for DPS sin.

The truth of the matter is PvE, You can effectively work your attacks to unleash unload at range, then as you walk to 10 m range, shoot explosive dart/railshot, and suddenly - kill it with fire!

So there is effectively little downtime with or without Jet Charge.

Stealth is worthless on bosses they can see it from 10 million miles away and it pulls them.

Gap closers come into play more when there are adds that need to go down and not so much on a tank n spank.

Also doesn't make sense for a non-tank to have a move that causes extra threat.

Stealth is worthless on bosses they can see it from 10 million miles away and it pulls them.

Gap closers come into play more when there are adds that need to go down and not so much on a tank n spank.

Also doesn't make sense for a non-tank to have a move that causes extra threat.

Avoid exageration, not every boss have stealth scan. Got a deception sin and I'm well aware of how stealth work. You shot yourself on the foot there.

This also mean you think taunt should exusively be in the tank tree?

You are completely overlooking a possible offtank role, even for a DPS, and in PvP, that extra threat doesn't matter.

Tank have 2 gap-nuker, rest have one and keep ranged attack.

I fail to see your point here.

Avoid exageration, not every boss have stealth scan. Got a deception sin and I'm well aware of how stealth work. You shot yourself on the foot there.

This also mean you think taunt should exusively be in the tank tree?

You are completely overlooking a possible offtank role, even for a DPS, and in PvP, that extra threat doesn't matter.

Tank have 2 gap-nuker, rest have one and keep ranged attack.

I fail to see your point here.

I never said any thing about taunt, any fight with adds or lots of movement required having a gap closer is the only way to do maintain solid effective damage as a MDPS.

If they swap Grapple for Jet Charge it would not affect tanks, it would give MDPS PT's a gap closer, and would not even be OP in PvP because instead of being able to pull a target out you can leap in head first.

As for stealth i have seen many bosses pulled many times while tanking because of it, the mechanic in its current form is stupid. Some bosses see stealth that is fine BUT they should not aggro on some one who is in stealth and farther away than other players.