The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Open PVP is DEAD

ShaggNasty

Ok, so bioware you have effectively killed open world PVP. The Illum quests were the only incentive to go there and participate in open world pvp...and now that is gone. Thus catering to the QQing of all the boohooers and crybaby WOW players.

I understand this is a business and you want to keep people playing, enjoying the game and entertained but, your Open world PVP needs real work. Take a page from Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning. They were all about PVP and it was great. The open world systems that they had set up worked fantastically. A scaled open world pvp that REWARDS BAGS....that would encourage open world PVP, at this point...you have killed it.

To all of you that flame, or don't like this thread...go QQ some more somewhere else so bioware can break another aspect of its own game.

Not dead in Frostclaw server. In fact, reps first time tried something different and actually pushed a little bit more than usually. At the end though they still had to retreat :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The king is dead. Long live the king.

When players don't like the way a game mechanic is setup, they tend to take things into their own hands. Thus Ilum turned into what it did.

People may initial forgo Ilum to do warzones, but the math in warzones just doesn't work. It is quicker to get kills on Ilum than it is to do warzones. For example, I did 6 warzones yesterday. Probably spent in the neighborhood of 90 mins to 2 hours either in warzones or queued up for them. In the end I ended up with just 18 kills for the weekly. In that same time period, if two ops groups were duking it out, I could have completed the weekly and moved on to other things.

It is only a matter of time before the players return to Ilum. And before you know it we will be right back to kill farming at each other's bases.

It was dead long before this change. Now instead of riding around in circles collecting crates for two hours, waiting for those few zerg fights over the center, you can do half of the Ilum dailies while doing the WZ daily. Then if you really want you can race track it around the center in Ilum or just run another half dozen WZs.

Sorry but Ilum was all the world PvP this game had and it was horrible to begin with. The game engine couldn't handle a decent engagement without becoming a slide show and they only place worth fighting over was the center. I wish BW would hire some designers from a successful PvP game but at this point they are going the instances PvP route.

yes, I recall from the guild summit that something as simple as chat bubbles could have a dynamic negative impact on the performance of the servers. They even took it a step further and turned off the automatic turret shots in Ilum because it was impacting the performance in the pvp area.

But these were just bandaid fixes. Add in more people and you still suffer the same poor proformance. I fully believe that going forward, pvp beyond 1 vs 1 is going to be instanced. They simply realize that their game engine isn't up to the task of handling 100 plus players.

Ilum needed to die so they can fix the damn zone. It's funny that ops vs ops is a lagfest on Ilum, but when you take that fight to the open PvP area on Tatooine, the problem is gone.

Just do what me and half of my pvp server plans on doing...

...leave for GW2.

It is your only hope if you truly like a well designed PvP game.

I'm afraid that this game will never be that for most. The Devs are just clueless.

Yeah, PvP in GW2, looks soooooo fun. /end sarcasm. I watched a video the other day of a raid group of players taking down a door of a castle, for 15 minutes. They didn't kill any players, they killed a door. That looks great. GW2 is not going to be anything special, and when it launches, you'll have the same trolls over there complaining and saying it's crap.

Edited by jokerxdragon

Ya know, if you so called 'PvPers' enjoy PvP for the sake of PvP only go play Mortal Online. Yes, you heard me correctly. I guarantee many of you leet wanna be's will be back in 3hrs or less after you are corpse camped naked non stop, or every time you try to leave a city.

Go on, be gone, have fun....

Open World PVP is the my favorite thing in an MMO.

But trying to create and foster open world pvp in a mmo that doesnt permit cross factions talk (read: smack talk) is hard to create.

Quest based open world pvp can only go so far. The best open world PVP happens when GUILD (fill in the blank) goes to global and says.

"All you IMP/Republic pansies looking for a fight can find me and my gang on (planet A). Bring it"

BIOWARE PLEASE INITIATE CROSS FACTION CHAT. I am positive that allowing enemies to actually communicate is the best way to encourage open world pvp at all levels and on all planets.

(i know someone mentioned that this is in the works, i hope thats the case)

Open World PVP is the my favorite thing in an MMO.

But trying to create and foster open world pvp in a mmo that doesnt permit cross factions talk (read: smack talk) is hard to create.

Quest based open world pvp can only go so far. The best open world PVP happens when GUILD (fill in the blank) goes to global and says.

"All you IMP/Republic pansies looking for a fight can find me and my gang on (planet A). Bring it"

BIOWARE PLEASE INITIATE CROSS FACTION CHAT. I am positive that allowing enemies to actually communicate is the best way to encourage open world pvp at all levels and on all planets.

(i know someone mentioned that this is in the works, i hope thats the case)

Um....you can talk to the other faction in /say.

The skinny I get from the guild leader at the summit is simply that they know they screwed up in Ilum. The Open RvR that they envisioned never fell out of the work they did and so they are going to scrap it completely (i.e. they dont care that it's dead). They will add more better open world RvR in the near future but it actually would take them more work to fix the current system then it will to implement a new system. In the interim they are going to hand out the new warzone(s!) and the ranked warzone system will be being brought up starting in 1.2

Knowing how development teams work I would expect to see assets get re-used as the new design permits. I believe that Bioware can do it, and I am not disappointed with their choice at this point.

I am satisfied with the hope that the reworked open RvR will be more comprehensive, include actual objectives with more tug of war type play, a better thought out zone (zones!?) to allow both zerg and zerg busting and a multitude of other tactical play styles.

I am glad that Bioware is not over-committed to the current open world pvp zone, which has obvious flaws and has the ability to be agile in their development. I also have perfect confidence in the report of my guild leader that he wasnt mos-representing or mis-quoting the <name withheld> developers involved.

So... yeah.

I agree why have pvp servers at all. Nearly all the questing areas were made that there was nearly no overlap. So do you want people to pvp or not. I would say not as you went great lengths to keep the opposing sides apart.

[...]

There are no objectives of anykind that would even inspire people to pvp. PVP is about capturing towns, cities, space ports, ships and having that mean something in game.

[...]

I thought this was a war. If so where is it?

I agree. There should be more incentive to fight on other planets, and (at least on the PvP servers) the state of the PvP situation should have an effect on the whole galaxy.

Removing daily quests, PvP ladder and such should help out wpvp as well. Not forching people to farm gear but play for fun. A bounty system would be awesome for wpvp.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

People already organize things that have no objective or payoff. Those are called guild pvp tournys, RP meetups etc. Your suggestion would just kill the pvp. No one would do it.

Some people don't have as much time on their hands and like to login at night to do their dailies and weeklies. Nothing wrong with that, why take it away from them?

Edited by xDecypher

I understand this is a business and you want to keep people playing, enjoying the game and entertained but, your Open world PVP needs real work. Take a page from Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning. They were all about PVP and it was great. The open world systems that they had set up worked fantastically. A scaled open world pvp that REWARDS BAGS....that would encourage open world PVP, at this point...you have killed it.

I'm sorry, did you just...confuse Warhammer with a successful game?

Ya know, if you so called 'PvPers' enjoy PvP for the sake of PvP only go play Mortal Online. Yes, you heard me correctly. I guarantee many of you leet wanna be's will be back in 3hrs or less after you are corpse camped naked non stop, or every time you try to leave a city.

Go on, be gone, have fun....

Been there, done that... corpse camping was the least of the problems with that game (if it was one at all).

Try again.

I think they need to put bases (a la episode 6 - Endor and episode 5 - frosty planet) in each of the 5 spots in Ilum and make them defend-able from inside...requiring the attackers to be swift and organized before defense arrive and have an advantage even with lower numbers. Also, let guilds be able to claim the bases under their flag ect gives them a sense of pride. (al la DAOC)

and of coarse give incentive for capping (merc bags, bm bags ect). Give Valor for defending and whoever actually caps entire Ilum gets bonuses to valor, +% chance to get bm comm in your bag ect.

Capturing bases was in the movies and I know this isnt the same timeline but it would make sense that they are capping bases

I would also add a pvp area that has high end Loot be available for the faction that caps Ilum, only available for the time Ilum is in their possession. So then you got a strong army that rushes through Ilum and caps it and enables this special area...goes in and the opposing faction will want to cap Ilum and go after that pvp area having cut off the manpower to their opponent to squash them and reap the high end rewards of that area. it will always be a back and forth between the two factions...that's open world pvp.

This.

They were so selfish, didnt want trolls or credit sellers so they killed the communication across the server.

yep, they quite literally said they didnt want people to have to bother with /ignore, it was too much trouble.

If that doesnt tell you exactly how low of an opinion they have of the playbase...I dont know what could.

Na, they dicked that up the minute they put ALL flashpoints/raids on the fleet (STUPID AS HELL).... why not put them in the world where BOTH FACTIONS have same entry point.... that will create world PVP. Also, give same level kills valor gains in world! WHY NOT!?

I would agree with this post for sure. Currently you get 0 reward for killing someone outside of Illum (why have a PVP server anyways?) And having some access to flashpoints be at or on a contested area would be good too to increase the likelyhood of PVP. Or even having large mine nodes for crafting t4 or when they make t5 items. Or even an entire WORLD that is OPEN PVP NON-FACTION based. Like they tried to do with the outlaws den, which i've never seen anyone there but myself.

There needs to be a REASON to engage in open world pvp. The Illum daily quest was the only REASON to engage in it. Now that you get your updates from WZ's you dont need to do Illum. That is what my main point is about world PVP being dead. Honestly there is no reason to do Illum. YES it is faster, but you never really HAVE to do it.

It was dead on arrival. Ilum was crap from the start, crap when they made it give valor, crap now. It is still faster to get your daily done in Ilum as a WZ completion only gives 3 armaments, so people are still there. This didn't kill it, it was already dead, they just moved the body a few feet to the side.

yes it was ded on arrival, but as bad as illum always was it was not due to this bad ilum design and even illum couldn't had destroyed open world pvp if not because of this reason:

absurd low max. player support limit of the servers!

yes, these servers seem to support only a maximum of around 400 players in total.

consider that many are questin and thus distributed on various planets, which are very big.

consider that the quest places are not getting very close for the two factions

consider that many are doing flashpoints / pve

consider that for most people it is easier to enter warzones

how big are the chances you meat anybody in open world?

we have a big world with an absurd low amount of players in them, even at rush hour => no chance for open pvp!

open pvp failed first of all due to technical reasons.

edit: in regard of above posts: the most open world pvp i ever had was in vanilla wow, bevor there was any kind of benefit, any kind of rewards. and we all know that both factions shared most places for questing and a realm hat factors more players then a swtor server can hold.

Edited by me_unknown

Ok, so bioware you have effectively killed open world PVP. The Illum quests were the only incentive to go there and participate in open world pvp...and now that is gone. Thus catering to the QQing of all the boohooers and crybaby WOW players.

To all of you that flame, or don't like this thread...go QQ some more somewhere else so bioware can break another aspect of its own game.

You are complaining about something that never existed.

"The Lockness Monster...is DEAD!!"

See...it's like that.