So where did it go wrong?

WillParkinson

By the time they get everything fixed and enough content d3 will be out and this game will be dead. I told my friend a few weeks ago this game would be free to play in 2 months. Canceling my sub tonight maybe ill comeback when its free in 2 months. Sad cause starwars is a great theme for an mmo.

Um, D3 won't be competing with any MMO lol. Most people will play both, I know I will.

This game isn't going to be free to play bro, you don't need 10 mil subs to stay as a sub based MMO.

This game is doing better than Rift and Rift is still pushing out constant updates because it's a solid game that people enjoy.

If you're looking for a game that will be in the same line of SWTOR competition wise, GW2 will be the one to make the servers dead, not D2 - the casual experience :)

(not saying GW2 is going to be some end all be all MMO, I'll wait and see before I purchase that one.. ;) )

Edited by KhealThar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like open adventure.

Too true. While the story lines are interesting, they create boundaries. You can do this, you can't do that. The linear approach simplifies the game design, but far too much so for my tastes. I have played through to high level on two characters and won't do it again.

What's worse, the linear approach does not bode well for the future of the game. Either they stick with their basic game design - which is quickly becoming boring - or they abandon that plan and go sandbox. I would greatly prefer sandbox, but don't see it happening.

It didn't go all wrong. I love playing the game and will continue to play as long as I'm having fun. This isn't the first MMO launch I've been a part of. I wasn't expecting perfection. I did my research. I wasn't expecting SWG. I wasn't expecting a game with every WoW feature under the sun.

It has leveling content that is a blast to play. The group content, including the heroic and flashpoints are fun. The PvP is a blast, as long as you aren't in Ilum. The crafting is so so but heading in the right direction.

The game isn't for everyone.

In D3 beta: Have fun with D2-2. It's D2 with better graphics, worse response.

Honestly i went to play the beta and was surprised how short it was, didn't expect it to finish before the first act as i hadn't been paying attention to it for awhile, but yeah had issues with latency while playing with my friend, though it could have just been my connection to be fair, solo was better but i doubt ill play it much solo anyways.

By the time they get everything fixed and enough content d3 will be out and this game will be dead. I told my friend a few weeks ago this game would be free to play in 2 months. Canceling my sub tonight maybe ill comeback when its free in 2 months. Sad cause starwars is a great theme for an mmo.

If this game is F2P within 2 months from now I will:

1. Knit a hat.

2. Eat said hat.

I'm sorry but that's just not even close to happening. There's plenty of work yet to be done on this game, no doubt. but this prognostication is completely wonky. :)

Not gone yet still have a sub. Are you level 50? What do you do every night you log in? Let me guess you queue for pvp send companions on crafting missions. Pick up the ilum, warzone, and fp dailys fly to ilum to pockup armaments while waiting for wz to pop up get you armaments, fly to belsavis do the dailys there fly to fleet to turn in quests and sell vendor junk?

Am I right? Sorry if you enjoy doing the same handful of content every single day but I don't. Read the forums you poat on you will see there are thousands of unhappy people. There just isn't enough content.

why won't this game hit the caliber of WoW? (like WoW or not BioWare, and especially EA, wanted those numbers)

personally I love the game, but it could have been so much more. Regardless I will be subbing for a long time to come....regardless there are reasons why it won't hit the caliber of WoW...and frankly I'm surprised MMO devs still make these mistakes (CO did it, STO did it, etc)

1 - too linear a path. VA's are great but it took from the choices. You have TWO starter planets for only TWO classes each. Class Story is different. Rest is the same. This feeds into 2...

2 - Grinding. "Bonus" missions? more like almost required missions or you're gonna end up under-leveled and under-geared. first kill 15 of x..then 45+?

3 - Story falls apart. You can tell they rushed at the end. The game is EXTREMELY heavy from the get-go..then tapers off BIG TIME..once you finish Act I it slows to a crawl and has you doing too much running around to pad time.

4 - Bad economy. The game's crafting skills are useful but only to a point. And it's hard to sell what you make at all. especially the higher end stuff because by then everyone is raiding/grinding PvP for their gear.

5 - Too Easy. It's even worse than "that other MMO" no one wants associated with SWTOR.

Biggest gripe though is the lack of replayability. Sure the class quests are different, but the "meat" of the content you're grinding (and yes it's a GRIND) through is the exact same....

It's a shame really. Again I still love the game and will be subbing for a long time...however I honestly am dumbfounded BioWare took these shortcuts.

you NEED variety..at the very least there should have been a starter planet for EACH class seperately and at LEAST two different places you could quest (sans class stuff) for each level bracket.

Where did it go wrong? It didn't.

Your opinion is that somehow this game failed to deliver? I can respect that.

I just disagree though. I raid 3 times a week with my guild. We get 3-5 hrs of PvP sessions in each week. We do quite a few flashpoints and generally are all having fun playing this game together.

So personally I don't believe this game did go 'wrong' at any stage. I think some things could have been done infinately better but overall I like what the game is atm.

how could there be negativity at a time like this? They are putting out a patch to make the game 10x more awesome. Get over yourselves.

You mean the stuff, except legacy things, that should have been in from launch. You know, the things that are as standard as a wheel and headlight are for a car.

how could there be negativity at a time like this? They are putting out a patch to make the game 10x more awesome. Get over yourselves.

coming from the wow forums its "OMG YAY NEW STUFF!" talked about for a day then its back to normal largely, seems to happen like that in every mmo I've played since wow.

Um, D3 won't be competing with any MMO lol. Most people will play both, I know I will.

This game isn't going to be free to play bro, you don't need 10 mil subs to stay as a sub based MMO.

This game is doing better than Rift and Rift is still pushing out constant updates because it's a solid game that people enjoy.

If you're looking for a game that will be in the same line of SWTOR competition wise, GW2 will be the one to make the servers dead, not D2 - the casual experience :)

(not saying GW2 is going to be some end all be all MMO, I'll wait and see before I purchase that one.. ;) )

I'm sure GW2 will be a "good" game for those who like that sort of thing (and can stomach yet another fantasy type MMO that the market is beyond saturated with at this point) but the level of hype the fans and the media have built up around it are setting it up to leave a great many people disappointed. Let's also not forget that it is B2P and requires no sub fee, so it will be the game that some/many play along with, rather than instead of their sub based MMO of choice.

I agree that D3, a hack and slash dungeon crawler that is essentially D2 with updated graphics will have almost no effect on sub based MMO's, different genres, different demographic. Will there be some crossover? Sure, just like some people who play MMO's also enjoy shooters, strategy games or any other genre.

You mean the stuff, except legacy things, that should have been in from launch. You know, the things that are as standard as a wheel and headlight are for a car.

if you're not having fun go unsub and do something else till all the content you think is mandatory for you to have fun, then come back, complaining that everyone should be in at launch is silly because then the launch would have been delayed to april at least, if not later due to all the things you deem are mandatory for a mmo to launch now.

A great game until you add the human factor into it....

Faction imbalances messing up server pops. Server pops from too high to too low. Hardcore PvPers pushing the envelope and video posting it for the masses to copy. Ilum attempted as a fix for lack of content for powergamers but the engine couldn't handle it. Too much PvP focus for great PvE game (lacking in difficulty but not that much) Bad PR from first nerfs and valor exploits. Generally way too high of expectations for a game that is under constant updating.

ROFL the QQers in this game wouldn't have lasted 2 hours a decade+ ago in EQ release with naked corpse recovery for gear, xp loss on dead, shared instances with mobs that didn't go back to spawn & made trains of 20+ mobs in xp area entrances that shut it down for hours, travel times of hours and seemingly weekly updates to class balance that could make you regret thousands of hours of game time. If you died once in 2 hours of grinding you broke even on xp.

Time is on their side. The powergamers will go elsewhere, finish those games and then come back if the product improves (and it will).

Edited by vartius

Obviously they expanded the servers so they could fit alot more in and all the players are spread out so it seems like the game is dying. And it's hard to get groups because everyone is just so busy having fun doing all the other things there is to do in game.

We are probably sitting on five million subs right now. Just hard to tell.

(this is what fanboys think btw)

Ice you have been a vocal community member since we first started getting info on game mechanics. you and i both voiced loudly our concerns with their design concepts. I was very concerned the game would feel very hybrid due to its heavy focus on single player content.

TOR has had the largest burn off of any MMO since AOC with in its frst 90 days. the only thing that will save this game is retention on 2 million in sales at 40% is still 800 k subs roughly. pretty bad in the MMO market though it is no where near what it should be for a game that cost 100 million plus and a massive IP

The concept was great. The hype was massive. The game is...OK.

Where did they go wrong? What will it take to get the game to the level it should be?

At launch there were long queues of people waiting to get in. Just a few months after there isn't a line. Many planets are dead. Groups are hard to find at off-peak play times. When I get home from work I find planets with 5 people on. The fleet will have 10 - 15.

What do you think it will take to get SWTOR back on track? Or is it already a lost cause and just dying a quick, painful death? (I'm hoping for the former, fearing for the latter.)

Well, in order to answer this question I would have to agree with your assertion [opinion] that it 'went wrong'. I do not, so...useless thread.

The concept was great. The hype was massive. The game is...OK.

Where did they go wrong? What will it take to get the game to the level it should be?

At launch there were long queues of people waiting to get in. Just a few months after there isn't a line. Many planets are dead. Groups are hard to find at off-peak play times. When I get home from work I find planets with 5 people on. The fleet will have 10 - 15.

What do you think it will take to get SWTOR back on track? Or is it already a lost cause and just dying a quick, painful death? (I'm hoping for the former, fearing for the latter.)

I know I will be a heretic to the Church of Everything-Always-Sucks" but I'm quite enjoying the game. I like the voice acting and class quests. I enjoy having companions run around instead of worrying about botters camping nodes from under the game surface. I like the Space Battle minigame, which has rewards and is an addition to standard MMO fare. I even like PvP (I know, I must be stupid). Coming from Rift to here was an enjoyable move for me, although I do think Rift is a bit more fleshed out in terms of UI, auction houses and social and guild frames.

Basing your entire end game on be exactly like WoW, grind, daily, fp...repeat...repeat...

But then not giving us worlds to explore, very tight story linear progression.

Some new stuff such as the story lines with other players is very nice but overall it does not bring anything real exciting.

Crafting not worth it at high levels.

I know I will be a heretic to the Church of Everything-Always-Sucks" but I'm quite enjoying the game. I like the voice acting and class quests. I enjoy having companions run around instead of worrying about botters camping nodes from under the game surface. I like the Space Battle minigame, which has rewards and is an addition to standard MMO fare. I even like PvP (I know, I must be stupid). Coming from Rift to here was an enjoyable move for me, although I do think Rift is a bit more fleshed out in terms of UI, auction houses and social and guild frames.

I was going to politely agree with you until you said you enjoyed the space battle minigame. Now sir, we must duel for thou art my nemesis.

--swtor is targeted towards todays impatient, illiterate, juvenile first person shooter.

--Because of the target market, they level you up so fast you end up bypassing the great content (stories) available in the side quests, and end up just doing your class quest line.

--and for those of us who like the social, community aspects possible in mmorpgs, we are not just forgotten but derided. No player cities, and the crafting economy fails as no one NEEDS our crafted items, they just buy them for their twink alts.

--Guilds serve no purpose except maybe finding a possible pug member. (if any of your guildies are left).

--the space game wouldn't be worth a quarter to play as a stand alone arcade game.

--It doesn't have to be so yet I forsee no major additions such as player cities, or player space stations, or ship to ship space pvp.....just a slow process of implementing the patches in the pipeline and the first major $$ expansion...then it's on to Play for Free.....

A great game until you add the human factor into it....

Faction imbalances messing up server pops. Server pops from too high to too low. Hardcore PvPers pushing the envelope and video posting it for the masses to copy. Ilum attempted as a fix for lack of content for powergamers but the engine couldn't handle it. Too much PvP focus for great PvE game (lacking in difficulty but not that much) Bad PR from first nerfs and valor exploits. Generally way too high of expectations for a game that is under constant updating.

ROFL the QQers in this game wouldn't have lasted 2 hours a decade+ ago in EQ release with naked corpse recovery for gear, xp loss on dead, shared instances with mobs that didn't go back to spawn & made trains of 20+ mobs in xp area entrances that shut it down for hours, travel times of hours and seemingly weekly updates to class balance that could make you regret thousands of hours of game time. If you died once in 2 hours of grinding you broke even on xp.

Time is on their side. The powergamers will go elsewhere, finish those games and then come back if the product improves (and it will).

EQ is my favorite mmo. Thevreason being is replayability. Everytime you log in its something different to deal with or do. I like many others feel this game is during because of a lack of content. Doing the same thing over and over every day you log in sucks. Of course I'm talking about being level 50.