Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I have no problem with it. As long as it doesn't take out any actual chat options, im completley fine. Sure, a UI option would be nice to hide it, but I'm fine with it.

There has been a proposal to move all [flirt] prompts to the left hand side of the wheel(which is never used as far as I've seen) in order to keep all the dialogue options the same... I don't know if Bioware is thinking of implementing this though.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a proposal to move all [flirt] prompts to the left hand side of the wheel(which is never used as far as I've seen) in order to keep all the dialogue options the same... I don't know if Bioware is thinking of implementing this though.

I've read that several times to and I think it needs to be put into the suggestion box. There was a valid concern that new flirt options(SGR or OGR) would replace existing slots on the dialog wheel, so I always felt that was the best choice. Also, if people don't wish to participate in flirting(i.e traditional Jedi), they can ignore it easier.

I really love the idea of jealousy among companions. I haven't been very fortunate; my SW minions mostly keep to themselves, except for Quinn and Pierce squabbling. My JK is starting to look better, slowly. I actually used my ship's intercom on him. Kit never did that once between 1-50, but I'm not sure if that's because I refused to return Quinn's advances. <shrug>

When I was leveling Kit, I found myself very jealous of my hubby's female BH when the people on the ship were all chatting. Perhaps by opening up the romance options for everyone, it'll also give the chance for more dialog play between minions. I still think DS Jaesa vs Vette with both going "MINE!" sounds very funny, however Broonmark better get in there to referee. :p

Or heck, just throw the bickering minions into a non-fatal jousting contest. Two women enter, one woman leaves! Two women enter, one woman leaves. Again, bonus points if you get the reference. :cool:

Also, welcome to the thread! :D

Edit: Only 3 levels to go! My folks are in the game(they are ~60 yrs old, and former hardcore raiders), so I'm just about to tank FPs for them with da hubby healing. Yes, it's slightly OT, but I will say my folks are ecstatic about all the storyline advancements. My folks never did the SGRs in Dragon Age, but they're happy that people have the choice.

Edit 2: Kira is just awesome; I started her storyline quests and I was amazed and a little touched by the end of the first part.

Edited by natashina

Or heck, just throw the bickering minions into a non-fatal jousting contest. Two women enter, one woman leaves! Two women enter, one woman leaves. Again, bonus points if you get the reference. :cool:

COLOR]

Break a deal, face the wheel. Break a deal, face the wheel.:D

Right now with the current patch coming soon. It kinda sucks if we try and talk to our companions before sgra are added with the risk of missing out on these options. In order to get the buffs, you gotta max out all cut scenes and do whatever questing they want you to do. Kinda annoying having to keep your companion waiting for almost 9 months just to experience sgra. :(

Really would like a way to reset certain companions back to 0 without having to reroll again.:confused:

Right now with the current patch coming soon. It kinda sucks if we try and talk to our companions before sgra are added with the risk of missing out on these options. In order to get the buffs, you gotta max out all cut scenes and do whatever questing they want you to do. Kinda annoying having to keep your companion waiting for almost 9 months just to experience sgra. :(

Really would like a way to reset certain companions back to 0 without having to reroll again.:confused:

I havent read anywhere saying the upcoming patch will have SGR included.. although this would be amazing!

I havent read anywhere saying the upcoming patch will have SGR included.. although this would be amazing!

It won't. It's slated for release some time this year along with more 'story content' but they (read: the developers) haven't stated when that will be.

Well, it's been a couple weeks since I mentioned it, and it's been pretty quiet here (maybe a good thing in some ways...), but -- especially in light of the new(ish) information from the Guild Summit, I still feel like a fresh top post, summary sort of deal might be helpful.

Soooo, I drafted one, finally.

(Google doc, it won't bite)

Any input/commentary would be appreciated (including "don't bother", I suppose ;D)!

If/when it gets in a shape where folks like it, I'm thinking I (or someone else!) can post it as a new thread and hopefully ask the mods to close this one and redirect. (A big bold note at the top of the new thread might help to at least keep it from being deleted until that's done... ;P)

Edited by Jenovan

Honestly, I think the majority of people new to the thread are far more likely to read the last page of posts rather than the first.

I might be wrong, of course.

Yeah, a top post could be shouting in the wind, to some degree. Although the three common behaviors I see in newcomers to this thread seem to be:

- (apparently) read only the thread title, and make an irrelevant post

- read the first post (which we've sort of moved away from in discussion by now) and reply to that without reading anything else

- read the last few pages and try to get new info

(and then those who you can't easily tell if they've been following the discussion or not...)

On another front entirely, it might be helpful for devs to have a summary of questions/concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting bits and pieces of what we discuss here through various means, including just following this thread, but a take-home sheet we can point at might be useful.

/shrug :)

Wasn't saying that it was gonna be in the upcoming patch. Was saying one of the requirements for the buffs from your companions is that they have to be at maxed affection and all cutscenes/ companion missions have to be completed in order to get the buffs. So even if you max affection threw gifts etc and avoid talking to them , you still wont be able to get the buffs . :confused: It kinda hurts those waiting for sgra to be added . :(

Also I did point out 9 months or so away. :p

Edited by Innocentone

Welcome to the thread, good to see you have no problem with it. :) Just so you know, BioWare's position on any option to hide the SGR dialogue options is as follows:

Please see Moitteva's post on page 79 of this thread for the whole thing, though I've posted the relevant part. Just wanted to make sure you're aware, as this is a topic we've discussed extensively before and it's no longer allowed.

Im very sorry, I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to post regarding dialogue hiden options. Thanks for the welcome! Like I said, as long as I still get the same cutscene options, I have no problem, and will most likely support this idea being implemented into the game :)

Soooo, I drafted one, finally.

(Google doc, it won't bite)

Any input/commentary would be appreciated (including "don't bother", I suppose ;D)!

I Think it is a good idea.

The only way however that I can think that new readers would actually read it would be to repost it regularly ( wich would really be annoying to everyone else).

Unfortunatly reading 99 pages of post is a bit of a drag. ( and I include myself in that)

But very good work [thumbs up]

Well, folks, my subscription expires today, but I'll be keeping an eye on the forums for a while in hopes of seeing some kind of Community Team interaction.

I got an interesting response from swtor customer support the other day. Here's a small -- albeit somewhat awkwardly-worded -- snippet:

As expressed, dialog with the community concerning LGBT has been limited, however this fact has been somewhat intention. We believe we would be somewhat "giving the game away" if we were to discuss this one of many features coming to SWTOR.

What I got out of that was an admission for the first time that they were, in fact, intentionally refusing to respond to us.

Good lord, some of you are saying, is he still going on about that?

Yes. Yes, I am. Because sometime later this year, SGRA's are going to be introduced. And when they are, you are going to have questions. And you will be intentionally ignored. I will not be appeased until I see a member of Bioware Austin's Dev team or Community Team post something in this thread as a good faith gesture that we will not be intentionally ignored in the future.

Here is my final email to swtor's customer support staff. It is fitting that these words be my final post on these forums:

Thank you for your response. This is my last email to SWTOR's customer service, and I do not require any further response. I appreciate the fact that the emails I have received from you and your colleagues have been thoughtfully worded responses, not script-generated "canned" responses. It makes me feel as though I am at least being acknowledged as a human being by the email support team.

But (yeah, I know...there's always a "but" with my emails, isn't there?) every response I get seems to be afraid to deal with the actual issue I am complaining about. For example, you wrote:

I know that even though we have been unable to give you a definitive update on same gender functionality...[sNIP]

and also,

[sNIP] ...we will be sure to contact you when we have a definitive update.

This seems to be a common theme in response to my emails. But I have repeatedly said I am not looking for more information on SGRA's, nor am I looking for any kind of "update" whatsoever. I'll try again to state my desires clearly:

I'm looking for a single post by a Dev or Community Team member in the "Same Gender Relationships Clarification" thread.

That's it.

That's all I want.

One post.

No, really.

It doesn't have to contain an "update", or any new information at all. It doesn't have to give anything away. It just has to be an olive branch from Bioware Austin to the LGBT community saying, "Hey. We hear you. Thanks for being patient." Yes, it would be nice if they flat-out admitted that their handling of the situation has been lackluster and that their intentional decision NOT to engage the community was a mistake. And it would be freaking incredible if they had the integrity to apologize for that mistake. That one single post would win back my subscription and go a long way towards turning me into a fiercely loyal customer.

So I guess this is it. I'm kind of disappointed that it has come to this. I feel like I've been shouting into the wind asking for a simple acknowledgement/apology on the forums and all that is being heard is blah, blah, blah, some dude wants information on SGRA's blah blah-bity blah.

I don't care about getting more information on fictional people in a video game. What I care about is real people in the real world being treated as if they matter. And Bioware Austin's Dev and Community Team are not doing this. Have you noticed how, despite not being able to provide any information on SGRA's, you and your fellow customer support employees have proven yourselves perfectly capable of acknowledging me, apologizing for the fact that I feel dissatisfied, and engaging me in conversation? Yet the same lack of available information renders the Dev and the Community Team completely unable to make even a single post on the forums? Really?

Since my wordsmithery skills have proven ineffective at making my point clear, I now have no other choice but to "vote with my wallet", as they say. I will now give up and move on to other games. But I'd like Mr. Reid and his Community Team to reflect upon how incredibly easy it would have been to keep me as a customer, paying $15 a month for an indefinite number of years.

One post.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

So that's it, folks. I wish everyone well! Have fun, and enjoy the game for what it is. I know I did. But don't expect too much from your Dev and Community Teams when SGRA's are released. They've already intentionally decided not to engage you in conversation. If you can be happy with that, you should have no issues.

I just can't be happy with that.

Edited by mrcaptainpants

Well, folks, my subscription expires today, but I'll be keeping an eye on the forums for a while in hopes of seeing some kind of Community Team interaction.

I got an interesting response from swtor customer support the other day. Here's a small -- albeit somewhat awkwardly-worded -- snippet:

What I got out of that was an admission for the first time that they were, in fact, intentionally refusing to respond to us.

Good lord, some of you are saying, is he still going on about that?

Yes. Yes, I am. Because sometime later this year, SGRA's are going to be introduced. And when they are, you are going to have questions. And you will be intentionally ignored. I will not be appeased until I see a member of Bioware Austin's Dev team or Community Team post something in this thread as a good faith gesture that we will not be intentionally ignored in the future.

Here is my final email to swtor's customer support staff. It is fitting that these words be my final post on these forums:

So that's it, folks. I wish everyone well! Have fun, and enjoy the game for what it is. I know I did. But don't expect too much from your Dev and Community Teams when SGRA's are released. They've already intentionally decided not to engage you in conversation. If you can be happy with that, you should have no issues.

I just can't be happy with that.

Hey, at least you got a REAL response! Tbh, all I've ever received from them is the canned garbage and basically a refusal to help with any ingame bugs/issues. Their response is always: "Thank you for reporting this, and while it must be extremely frustrating for you, we can't do anything except report it to the relevant department and let them work on fixing the issue. Thank you, and enjoy the game!"

But anyhow, I just thought of a SSR I'd like to see! Female Inquisitor and Zash! (Or at least flirt options with her.) :D

I kinda feel the same way, right now hardly playing much other then doing dailies. Found myself playing EQ again since it went ftp . The upcoming swtor patch looks fun but I just don't seem that enthusiastic about it really. Don't get me wrong its an awesome patch , just a part of me can't really get behind playing much atm. Maxing affection on companions only to have to save the cut scenes for the sgra's when they finally added has me kinda bummed atm waiting. :(

During the guild summit, I could see hesitation when they were asked about sgra. As if that wasn't suppose to make it threw to be answered. If anyone is able to rewatch it , you can see the hesitation when the question was asked. They never responded to this before the summit only near the end of it. Could it be a fluke that slipped threw by mistake? I still have doubts to this day. :confused:

Edited by Innocentone

During the guild summit, I could see hesitation when they were asked about sgra. As if that wasn't suppose to make it threw to be answered. If anyone is able to rewatch it , you can see the hesitation when the question was asked. They never responded to this before the summit only near the end of it. Could it be a fluke that slipped threw by mistake? I still have doubts to this day. :confused:

That wasn't the sense I got at all from their answer. The 'hesitation' on the part of the monitor of Livestream seemed like he was trying to find some appropriate words so as to ask the question, and not end up with someone with far too much passion flaming him.

On the part of the developer answer, it seemed more like a 'pause' of relief, like they had been waiting for that answer all day and were ready for it at that specific point in the summit. I doubt it was a fluke, too many things they did read to me like they were expecting or ready for the question.

Edit : Additional Thought

While not rehearsed, it did seem like the developers had thought out this answer to the best of their ability, with a hope to satisfy as many people as possible. At least, that's what it seemed like to me. You can't make everyone happy, but if you can satisfy several, then Job Completed.

On an additional thought,

Considering they had spoken that they knew who was going to be involved as SGRA, I wonder if I'm the only one looking at current non-romancable companions and just wondering.

Edited by OtchiNiTenshi

That wasn't the sense I got at all from their answer. The 'hesitation' on the part of the monitor of Livestream seemed like he was trying to find some appropriate words so as to ask the question, and not end up with someone with far too much passion flaming him.

On the part of the developer answer, it seemed more like a 'pause' of relief, like they had been waiting for that answer all day and were ready for it at that specific point in the summit. I doubt it was a fluke, too many things they did read to me like they were expecting or ready for the question.

Edit : Additional Thought

While not rehearsed, it did seem like the developers had thought out this answer to the best of their ability, with a hope to satisfy as many people as possible. At least, that's what it seemed like to me. You can't make everyone happy, but if you can satisfy several, then Job Completed.

I agree, I don't think the pauses around the SGR question were negative ones. I'm a big fan of cutting through [bantha poodoo], so I've asked a lot of uncomfortable questions in my life; I know the deer-in-headlights look when people get asked something they really don't want to answer. :D I didn't see that at the summit. I think the pause was probably more to remember what information he was allowed to release, especially considering that the questions had all revolved around game mechanics and similar things up until then.

And it did seem like the answer we got was a prepared one. There's really no way BioWare's people could not have been expecting the topic to come up, even if it wasn't one of the main ones they planned for.

On an additional thought,

Considering they had spoken that they knew who was going to be involved as SGRA, I wonder if I'm the only one looking at current non-romancable companions and just wondering.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some companions who don't have OGR options get SGR options. This will probably lead to a few displeased people on the forums - I can see the "What do you mean I have to play a guy to romance [Companion]?!?" threads already. :p I only say it'll be stated like that because all the female companions currently in-game are romanceable. Still hoping for them all to be SGR options as well.

What I'm really hoping doesn't happen is that any class is left without an SGR option for both male and female PCs. Even leaving one class out would make it feel like it was a "certain classes only" feature. I don't think BioWare would be that exclusionary, though. Hope they prove me right. :eek:

My sub runs out today and I've already cancelled. I really like this game, and I look forward to playing it again in however many months it takes to put same gender romance, among other features, into the game. I'll still pop in here to check progress.

Afaik, they confirmed that only new companions would be able of a same sex relationship, they won't be going back to alter the existing companions.

No actually, they said no such thing. They ACTUALLY said, they were in the works of researching current stories and seeing viability of where SGR could be initiated. They even stated if they see reasons in character development for it to be applied they would.

I just saw the Legacy System video and saw that we will be able to create our own family trees including marriage and adoption options for defining relationships.

Does anyone know if marriage between two characters of the same gender is allowed in the family tree?

Edited by jediknightcub

I just saw the Legacy System video and saw that we will be able to create our own family trees including marriage and adoption options for defining relationships.

Does anyone know if marriage between two characters of the same gender is allowed in the family tree?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is(there was a video posted recently of someone doing it in a testing of the patch, not entirely sure where it is though).