Gabe - PvP isn't limited to just WZs

TUXs

How about some info on 1.2 for PvP that DOESN'T involve warzones?!

It seem like your entire focus right now is WZs...is that really all PvPers have to look forward to?

Any changes coming to Ilum, Tat's FFA zone, or anywhere that might encourage some open world PvP? If so, how soon?! If not...why?!

It seem like your entire focus right now is WZs...is that really all PvPers have to look forward to?

Any changes coming to Ilum, Tat's FFA zone, or anywhere that might encourage some open world PvP? If so, how soon?! If not...why?!

Why do you think? Ilum has been a total fail and they are moving rewards more into WZ and away from Ilum. They obviously need some time to rethink their whole RVR system.

They have no idea how to design for world pvp. If you need proof, look at how the zones are designed.

None of them put Imperial players near Republic players. They keep each other neatly secluded on opposite sides of the planets.

Then look at the death penalties. You kill someone? They just revive exactly where they died. No point.

The engine also can't support large amounts of people in one area, so large scale battles are out the window.

You access all flashpoints and operations from the fleet. No need to travel to any zone and be thus exposed to other players on the other faction traveling to the same dungeon. (UBRS and Molten Core chains, anyone?)

No matter what they may say in interviews, world PvP was NEVER a design consideration when they made this game. So is anyone surprised by Gabe's attitude?

Edited by EternalFinality

plenty of fun pvp on ilum for the people who really like to pvp. the fake pvpers only show up long enough to finish quests, then disapear. real pvpers stay and pvp even with daily and weekly have long been finished.

Why do you think? Ilum has been a total fail and they are moving rewards more into WZ and away from Ilum. They obviously need some time to rethink their whole RVR system.

The whole PvP team should be sacked IMO.

It should have been obvious to a first year game design student that this was a terrible system... and these guys are the MMO designers...

It all goes back to Bioware's incompetent beta testing process. They couldn't give us level 50 characters because it somehow broke their game when they were generated (it broke the entire game's chat system, so no one could talk to each other - only emotes. Was as funny as it was sad).

Which meant there was no one to test this stuff.

I don't give a **edit** if they revamp Ilum - it's an abysmal failure. But it needs to be a flippin priority!

We need a solid, worthwhile OPEN PvP 'stuff' more than we need cross server crap or ranked whatever.

World PvP dies off the moment you put in WZs. The only reason people ever went to Ilum is because they had to for dailies, they wouldn't have otherwise. if you want good world pvp you need to start by removing WZs, adding in major points of interest for people to fight over in the world and have a reasonably balanced population. None of those things are in place and likely never will be with WZs present.

No matter what they may say in interviews, world PvP was NEVER a design consideration when they made this game. So is anyone surprised by Gabe's attitude?

Truthfully, I am surprised. I took him at his word because I had no reason to doubt him (or Bioware). But now...geezus...it's getting hard to have any faith.

Edited by TUXs

How can you have open pvp when one side has 500 people and the other 20 people? It just doesn't work in a two faction system. Unless they limit the amount of people in the pvp zone, it won't work. If they do that, you will have 480 people waiting to get in while 20 are botting inside not to lose their spot.

Third faction might help, but I don't know if they want to have an sand-people expansion or robot army one.

I cried a little after listening to that latest interview. I really hoped PvP in this game would be worth something, sadly it won't.

Well, I didn't cry but I did lose hope.

How can you have open pvp when one side has 500 people and the other 20 people? It just doesn't work in a two faction system. Unless they limit the amount of people in the pvp zone, it won't work. If they do that, you will have 480 people waiting to get in while 20 are botting inside not to lose their spot.

Third faction might help, but I don't know if they want to have an sand-people expansion or robot army one.

You buff the side that's outnumbered.

And those imbalances are likely only on PvE or RP servers. PvPers will balance out factions if they create a decent open world PvP system.

You encourage hit and run objectives that allow the outnumbered faction a chance to gain 'whatever' by taking smaller and quicker objective points. The stupid 5 points on Ilum are worthless.

I don't give a **edit** if they revamp Ilum - it's an abysmal failure. But it needs to be a flippin priority!

We need a solid, worthwhile OPEN PvP 'stuff' more than we need cross server crap or ranked whatever.

It's your priority perhaps, but they have to cater to the largest customer base.

You can't have world pvp when a 20 vs 20 turns the game into a slideshow. Ilum framerates are a sign of a poorly chosen engine for world pvp.

We have 50v50 on HoG and, with the right tweaking of settings, it's very playable (I actually don't adjust my settings at all - just turn AA off and Shadows off). I don't believe this BS about the engine. Tweaks and adjustments can be made to increase performance I'm sure. They may take time, but they're worth Bioware's time to make.

You can't have world pvp when a 20 vs 20 turns the game into a slideshow. Ilum framerates are a sign of a poorly chosen engine for world pvp.

Yeah, after a few visits to Ilum, it became clear to me why they utilize instances so much in the game, and why they are not encouraging more open PvP.

It's your priority perhaps, but they have to cater to the largest customer base.

With nearly half the servers being PvP servers, I think it's reasonable to expect that Open World PvP should be a priority.

Its not a RvR game, that would be Warhammer,which this is not. SWTOR devs spent 90%+ of the time and effort on PvE, as this would have been the mandate. Therefore PvP is crap. Warhammer failed as it was meant to be a PvP and RvR game but they spent 50% of time and money on PvE. They did not FIX the rubbish and people left, but it was good for 18 months, this puppy will be put to sleep in 6 months.

The root of the problems are around...

What is the point on going to Ilum?

What is there to do in Ilum?

Who thought it was a good idea to run Huttball 75% of the time.

Then of course if you do manage to get a fight with anymore than 10 v 10 its like reading a book. That's if its worth playing mass PvP at all with the retarded Crowd Control....Why cant they make CC break when attacked in PvP? I assume the never realised people may want to fight more than 1 v 1, or spend 75% of the time stunned.

Who wants to spends so much time travelling to Ilum? Why they cant have a direct transport from Fleet to Illum PvP zone I dont know, maybe they think those endless loading screen are FUN....But I guess they are making it hard for people to do PvP. This cant be a BIG thing to fix maybe a few hours, but it wont get sorted, and shows how little thought has gone into PvP.

In short its a PvE game for people that want to run the same instance over and over, for some shinny gear. It's not for any form of mass PvP and RvR will never happen.

They cant re think, as they cant change the core or code of the game (this can be seen in any large fight). With massive falling subs, I estimate around 75% drop since release, and GW2 Beta looking like more fun this game is dead as fried chicken.

I bought this junk knowing full well it was for PvE noobs, and mates were playing, but out of about 15 of us that subbed at Chritmas maybe 3 are left and 2 of them are sick of the game....

So all I can do is cancel my sub, kick myslef, and remember DONT buy MMO's at release, and dont expect PvP from a PvE game. I could not even say if this game is a hit with PvE after doing 3 instances.

BioWare put Warhmmer in the ground so expect the same here... Promises off NEW SHINNY stuff for ages and NOTHING comes out, maybe a few shock patches that makes stuff worse,as Bioware know its a fail, now its get those subs in....six months from now you will buy your gear on EA Store...expect to see Vanity gear for sale on a EA soon.

open world pvp will always fail. people will always find someway to cheese the system. name the last world pvp that was a great success and why aren't you playing it now? Successful OWPVP is done through player driven events. Do you seriously think you should be rewarded for Zerg vs Zerg? Edited by VertisReaper

The root of the problems are around...

Good post and great points!

open world pvp will always fail. people will always find someway to cheese the system. name the last world pvp that was a great success and why aren't you playing it now?

No, it doesn't fail. Call of Duty, Battlefield 3 - those are arguably "PvP" only games. PvPers are a massive part of the gaming populous and a good PvP system will not only attract players, it HOLDS them.

I'm not playing any other game right now because I'm enjoying SWTOR.

according to bioware it is. They screwed up in making the rep side not having wookies/alien races is why were in this current mess of warzones. Think about it they cant make same faction open world pvp. They have this HUGE imbalance b/c of this so there solution is more huttball same faction pvp warzones.

I think this game is strictly going pve with warzones and ditching open world b/c of rep class side not appealing enough.

Should have made wookies playable bioware now were paying for your incompetence

I bet the largest customer base would want something fun... Ilum just wasn't all that fun. They had some 5 years to make something good, and all we got was that? I was told i would be "blown away" when i got there...

...?

At this point, just take the "easy" route, and make more warzones?

Great. We don't have capture the flag yet.. Or capture the farm/mill......

Why should we as customers ask for more than that? I mean, this pvp dev team is the some of the most experienced in the world.. but lets go with the same ol same ol

bleh.

I bet the largest customer base would want something fun... Ilum just wasn't all that fun. They had some 5 years to make something good, and all we got was that? I was told i would be "blown away" when i got there...

...?

At this point, just take the "easy" route, and make more warzones?

Great. We don't have capture the flag yet.. Or capture the farm/mill......

Why should we as customers ask for more than that? I mean, this pvp dev team is the some of the most experienced in the world.. but lets go with the same ol same ol

bleh.

Maybe by blown away they mean putting people off till they leave the game?