$39.99???

Liamo

Different model all together!

If my product is selling well (quoted from previous poster), I have no reason to discount it. None! That would be the worst business decision ever! Remember, "selling well"! If sales dip, then by all means, let's discount it to draw some interest, if price is the deciding factor.

What you are describing is the Free up to lvl 20 Model that is currently fashionable with some of SW's competitors. Is SW at this point already? I would hope not.

Just stop already.

It's a 24 hour sale. There is sights dedicated only to one day sales. Woot.com for example is constantly selling great products for mind blowingly low prices for 24 hours only.... The next day? Those products are selling at regular price.

You already lost, you are making no sense, and at this point you just look like someone who is arguing for the sake of arguing. Nobody likes those people. =)

Edited by XOrionX

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, let me get this straight Mr. Economics... My product is selling really well for $50.00, so, I decide to put it on sale for $40.00? How does that make any sense at all? Why would I sell something for less than what people are willing to pay?

Um... sales are usually associated with clearing stock, trying to move items that aren't selling at regular prices.

Have you ever worked retail? any job?

This means swtor is failing?? Is this the constructive criticism I have heard so much about.. I wish you fanbois would let the people be constructive when talking about how swtor is failing due to this one day sale.

/sarcasm

I hate putting /sarcasm tags on things but the mods don't seem to recognise it.

Edited by corbanite

If my product is selling well (quoted from previous poster), I have no reason to discount it. None! That would be the worst business decision ever! Remember, "selling well"! If sales dip, then by all means, let's discount it to draw some interest, if price is the deciding factor.

What you are describing is the Free up to lvl 20 Model that is currently fashionable with some of SW's competitors. Is SW at this point already? I would hope not.

It's not about bioware or EA getting the money, it's about amazon getting the money.

Product is selling everywhere else for $50, but is selling at amazon for $40, where are you going to buy it? This gets people to use amazon and hopefully gets them to use it more than once with other products.

I managed to spend around $70 buying TOR off amazon and getting it imported to Australia, it'll retail here for $80. I go where the better deal is.

Just stop already.

It's a 24 hour sale. There is sights dedicated only to one day sales. Woot.com for example is constantly selling great products for mind blowingly low prices for 24 hours only.... The next day? Those products are selling at regular price.

You already lost, you are making no sense, and at this point you just look like someone who is arguing for the sake of arguing. Nobody likes those people. =)

Thanks for your judgement on the issue. However, you missed the point altogether.

That's okay, we weren't talking to you anyway... but I get it. :D

Okay, let me get this straight Mr. Economics... My product is selling really well for $50.00, so, I decide to put it on sale for $40.00? How does that make any sense at all? Why would I sell something for less than what people are willing to pay?

Um... sales are usually associated with clearing stock, trying to move items that aren't selling at regular prices.

Go buy a Mach 3 or Proglide razor. Then go buy replacement blades for said razor.

Assuming you're old enough to shave, this should be a pretty obvious and well-known tactic.

Thanks for your judgement on the issue. However, you missed the point altogether.

That's okay, we weren't talking to you anyway... but I get it. :D

Then who exactly were you talking to? And who exactly is this "we" you are referring to? Reading over the thread again, and I see that everyone was calling you out for how shortsighted your statements were. I, like them, called you out on it.

You are the one saying that it's a poor business model to sale a game at a good price for only 24 hours. I just told you a site that is dedicated to such a business model. You know, that same model that you said is poor? I wonder how a site dedicated to selling things at bottom floor prices for 24 hours only could actually thrive?

Perhaps you should ask Amazon.com, Woot.com, Newegg.com or all those stores that sale products for bottom dollar on black friday how they do it? Or better yet, perhaps you should lend them some of your marketing genius. Obviously, they need your vast sales knowledge!

Edited by XOrionX

When you get away from academia and get in to the real world of commerce, let's chat!

Assuming I am still in school? Ok. You are wrong. But that's what you get for assuming.

Take a look at the real world of marketing buddy. The one day sale happens with ever major retail store (onine or not). It's is what is reffered to as a 'door buster,' get them in to buy something and then try to upsale them on other products.

Stores have been doing this for years. The fact that you "work retail", and then can't even grasp the simple concept of a one day sale has me floored. Based on that alone I could assume many things about your "academia," but again, I wont assume anything. Assuming is for fools.

Then who exactly were you talking to? And who exactly is this "we" you are referring to? Reading over the thread again, adn I see that everyone was calling you out for how shortsighted your statements were. I, like them, called you out on it.

You are the one saying that it's a poor business model to sale a game at a good price for only 24 hours.

I just told you a site that is dedicated to such a business model. You know, that same model that you said is poor? I wonder how a site dedicated to selling things at bottom floor prices for 24 hours only could actually thrive?

Perhaps you should ask Amazon.com, Woot.com, Newegg.com or all those stores that sale products for bottom dollar on black friday how they do it? Or better yet, perhaps you should lend them some of your marketing genius. Obviouslty, they need your vast sales knowledge!

"Things that go in their Gold Box are items that are selling well and can afford to set it at a lower price. Learn economics people."

This is what I was referring to. If something is "selling well" there is absolutely no reason to highlight it as a "sale item". Again, if I am meeting my sales goals for an item and I put that on sale... 1. No guarantee that I will sell any more, which cuts directly in to my profits, and 2. I am automatically leaving money on the table with my consumers for an item that is already selling at a higher price.

I can only think of one reason to do this (assuming the above scenario is true and it is selling well), drive business from my competitors for a short time to draw attention to my distribution and sales channel, taking a short term hit in profits for the chance that I will drive long term revenue through an increased customer base.

But again, if it is selling well for me already, big risk to take.

That's it.

Things that go in their Gold Box are items that are selling well and can afford to set it at a lower price. Learn economics people.

To the rest of us, it's all about supply and demand. Game like Skyrim is STILL selling for 60 bucks, why? Cause the game is still selling at a good clip, no one skilled in economics is gonna drop the price when the game is still selling at a reasonable amount monthly.

TOR is dropping quick. Next month you may find it in the 5 dollar bargain bin at Walmart.

Edited by Wekeltes

Considering this is Amazon having a video game sale... Not Bioware... What are you going on about?

I have already paid for Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition... It was $75 for me on Amazon, and includes a $20 gift card (so $55 in a sense). Is Amazon trying to clear their stock of Mass Effect 3's? Must be because the game sells like crap right?

Same with MW3, which I bought for $60 in November and included $15 gift card... Or Battlefield 3 which had a $10 gift card in October.

These are such terrible games that don't sell at all... Amazon is just trying to make up the loss right?

Have none of you idiots ever purchased a game from Amazon? Not only that, but did you see that today's Gold Box deals are all video games? Amazon has gold box deals literally every day for every product imaginable...

LOL, fanboys think of anything these days!

To the rest of us, it's all about supply and demand. Game like Skyrim is STILL selling for 60 bucks, why? Cause the game is still selling at a good clip, no one skilled in economics is gonna drop the price when the game is still selling at a reasonable amount monthly.

TOR is dropping quick. Next month you may find it in the 5 dollar bargain bin at Walmart.

patpat

When you buy Skyrim, how much extra money do you send the company for playing it?

oh

patpat

Assuming I am still in school? Ok. You are wrong. But that's what you get for assuming.

Take a look at the real world of marketing buddy. The one day sale happens with ever major retail store (onine or not). It's is what is reffered to as a 'door buster,' get them in to buy something and then try to upsale them on other products.

Stores have been doing this for years. The fact that you "work retail", and then can't even grasp the simple concept of a one day sale has me floored. Based on that alone I could assume many things about your "academia," but again, I wont assume anything. Assuming is for fools.

spell check is your friend...

But, yes, "one day sales" are an important factor in a good marketing strategy (i.e. bathing suits in January), but I can't think of a reason to use a "good selling" product to bring people in the door. Its usually some hard to sell item that is drastically reduced, so that I am not leaving anything on the table if it sells. Its just a bonus that it sold at all. If I undercut myself to try and up sell other products, kinda a strange strategy. But maybe you know more than me on this one.

Considering this is Amazon having a video game sale... Not Bioware... What are you going on about?

I have already paid for Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition... It was $75 for me on Amazon, and includes a $20 gift card (so $55 in a sense). Is Amazon trying to clear their stock of Mass Effect 3's? Must be because the game sells like crap right?

Same with MW3, which I bought for $60 in November and included $15 gift card... Or Battlefield 3 which had a $10 gift card in October.

These are such terrible games that don't sell at all... Amazon is just trying to make up the loss right?

Have none of you idiots ever purchased a game from Amazon? Not only that, but did you see that today's Gold Box deals are all video games? Amazon has gold box deals literally every day for every product imaginable...

They just want to be doomsayers with a doom and gloom message.